🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump is donating 2nd quarter salary (100K) to Department of Education

The Orange Menace should take the 100K and go get an education.

I don't see what is so impressive about donating $100K per quarter, when Trump promised to donate his profits from foreigners, which should be in the millions. Except like Trumps taxes, he won't let us see the books to see how much that income is.
And instead of donating it quarterly like his salary, Trump is holding off until the end of the year, and asking us to trust he's being honest

I never really followed politics in any depth until the last Pres campaign and stumbled in here one day searching for articles on gun control. I don't know if Republicans have always hated education, but the slander against education from kindergarten through college is just frightening to me.
When people started bitching about "Common Core" years ago I figured it was because parents were pissed they couldn't do the New Math. (They still are, imo.) Then I started working for Adult Ed and had to do some in depth dives into the standards etc. It is so not to be scared of. I can understand the objection to the federal interference in education, whether I agree with it or not. But Common Core itself is so not scary. And people absolutely refuse to listen.
/----/ You wrote:"I don't know if Republicans have always hated education, "
Ahhhh the first strawman argument of the day. Well done.
View attachment 141236
I'm relieved to hear you aren't one screaming against Common Core and the uneducated kids learning nothing but liberal drivel all the way from K-College. Good man.

I never really followed politics in any depth until the last Pres campaign and stumbled in here one day searching for articles on gun control. I don't know if Republicans have always hated education, but the slander against education from kindergarten through college is just frightening to me.
When people started bitching about "Common Core" years ago I figured it was because parents were pissed they couldn't do the New Math. (They still are, imo.) Then I started working for Adult Ed and had to do some in depth dives into the standards etc. It is so not to be scared of. I can understand the objection to the federal interference in education, whether I agree with it or not. But Common Core itself is so not scary. And people absolutely refuse to listen.
I have found nothing particularly wrong with it..Not much difference then the days of the three R's, reading, riting and rithmatic..Now tell me what's wrong with the spelling of two of the fundamental R's in education back in the 1960'-'70's...
LOL. Good point.
I have quite a few students who have dropped out recently, in the past five-ten years, and some of them have some huge gaps in their mathematical ability. Don't know their multiplication tables, never actually learned how to deal with fractions, or understand decimal places, can't do a simple percent problem. I'm actually reteaching long division to some of them. These are not mentally challenged kids.
Now it's true irl we rely on calculators, but the lack of math understanding is absolutely sickening. I'm not sure what's going on. It is not the fault of common core, which is just a set of standards, but something is wrong somewhere.
Of course, I say that knowing that I'm dealing with the ones who dropped out.
I agree. I saw at it's worst in the military when going through electronics classes using algebraic formulas and calculations...I had basic algebra in 8th grade, all other math at a higher level I learned on my own..I pushed my kids to do well in math by doing projects with them and teaching them basic electronics as teens..My Mom was not very good at math and I had no Dad to speak of so blaming parents is not always to usable venue..It is up to that individual to learn...
Yup. I keep forgetting that not everyone sees things like I do. Some people have little interest in academics and find school a huge waste of time. For them, finding the motivation to learn something might have to be a situation like yours--you needed to learn it and you also wanted to learn it because you had a specific goal in mind.
It didn't even cross my mind to blame parents, btw.

I have found nothing particularly wrong with it..Not much difference then the days of the three R's, reading, riting and rithmatic..Now tell me what's wrong with the spelling of two of the fundamental R's in education back in the 1960'-'70's...
LOL. Good point.
I have quite a few students who have dropped out recently, in the past five-ten years, and some of them have some huge gaps in their mathematical ability. Don't know their multiplication tables, never actually learned how to deal with fractions, or understand decimal places, can't do a simple percent problem. I'm actually reteaching long division to some of them. These are not mentally challenged kids.
Now it's true irl we rely on calculators, but the lack of math understanding is absolutely sickening. I'm not sure what's going on. It is not the fault of common core, which is just a set of standards, but something is wrong somewhere.
Of course, I say that knowing that I'm dealing with the ones who dropped out.
I agree. I saw at it's worst in the military when going through electronics classes using algebraic formulas and calculations...I had basic algebra in 8th grade, all other math at a higher level I learned on my own..I pushed my kids to do well in math by doing projects with them and teaching them basic electronics as teens..My Mom was not very good at math and I had no Dad to speak of so blaming parents is not always to usable venue..It is up to that individual to learn...
Yup. I keep forgetting that not everyone sees things like I do. Some people have little interest in academics and find school a huge waste of time. For them, finding the motivation to learn something might have to be a situation like yours--you needed to learn it and you also wanted to learn it because you had a specific goal in mind.
It didn't even cross my mind to blame parents, btw.
I learned to be better at fractions by learning the metric system, converting the fraction to decimal and doing the calculation then converting it back into a fraction for American standard use...I was bad at fraction calculations as a kid...

Now it's true irl we rely on calculators, but the lack of math understanding is absolutely sickening. .

Generation X, Y or whatever we're up to now, needs to get a better handle on using math for everyday problems. They can always use a calculator to get the exact answer, but many of them don't know how to even make an educated guess what the answer is.
Such as carpeting a 20 by 30 foot room, with carpet going for $10.99 a square yard installed. Roughly how much is it going to cost? They don't know if it's around $50, $500, or $5,000.

It would be nice if he'd give it to a front-line charity like a soup kitchen or food bank in a major city. Or a struggling healthcare center in Eastbumfuck. Even the YMCA.
I agree but it boggles my mind that someone would bitch about him donating his salary. Lunatics

He's donating 100K to the department while calling for a 9 billion dollar cut in the same department.
So?

You never cut waste out of your personal budget yet still utilize the item which you cut back on?

Now it's true irl we rely on calculators, but the lack of math understanding is absolutely sickening. .

Generation X, Y or whatever we're up to now, needs to get a better handle on using math for everyday problems. They can always use a calculator to get the exact answer, but many of them don't know how to even make an educated guess what the answer is.
Such as carpeting a 20 by 30 foot room, with carpet going for $10.99 a square yard installed. Roughly how much is it going to cost? They don't know if it's around $50, $500, or $5,000.
I asked a student not long ago what she does when she walks into a store and the rack says 25% off. She had no idea how to set that up, even on a calculator. She told me she makes sure she's got enough to pay the original price and gets pleasantly surprised when she takes it to the register.
ANYWAY, when I'm done with 'em, they know how to answer your question and figure a sale price. Not always pretty, though. I just don't understand how they manage to complete 8th, 9th, even 10th grade and some even have high school diplomas without being able to do that stuff.

Americans are, almost without exception, fucking morons.

The Orange Menace should take the 100K and go get an education.

If you are calling current Americans morons (fucking morons to be exact), and the Department of Education has been around for nearly a generation (40 plus years), clearly, you have made the case that the Department of Education is a failure. Why continue to fund a cabinet that is failing its stated mission?

...while proposing to cut the Education Department budget by over 9 BILLION.

No, this is not a story from The Onion.

Trump donates second-quarter salary to Education Department

The Department of Education should have their budget cut 100% and be completely eliminated.
I agree. Home schooling is the way to go. If it was good enough for the kings of England it's good enough for our children.
That's a pretty asinine statement considering most family's have two working parents as well as a huge chunk of children who have parents just as stupid as an uneducated child.

Good grief

4a5ca29450d2f241abed34b8eaa504d3.jpg

Oh the irony.

He makes a profit.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

His choice surprises me. Education has been a department I always thought of as Jimmy Carter's thank-you to the teachers' union. Also with the Common Core rant I can't imagine the department is too popular these days.

But never-the-less that wasn't meant to downplay Trump's good gesture. Definitely a class act.

Did you miss the point? He donates $100,000 to a department he wants to cut 9 billion dollars from. What's classy about that?

We've spent close to 3 trillion on the dept of ED in the last 30+ years and have nothing to show for it. Of course you folks have never objected to throwing good money after bad and getting nothing for it as long as you can use it to buy votes.

His choice surprises me. Education has been a department I always thought of as Jimmy Carter's thank-you to the teachers' union. Also with the Common Core rant I can't imagine the department is too popular these days.

But never-the-less that wasn't meant to downplay Trump's good gesture. Definitely a class act.

Did you miss the point? He donates $100,000 to a department he wants to cut 9 billion dollars from. What's classy about that?

We've spent close to 3 trillion on the dept of ED in the last 30+ years and have nothing to show for it. Of course you folks have never objected to throwing good money after bad and getting nothing for it as long as you can use it to buy votes.

Well we do have a police for for some reason...They never have solved any crimes committed against meself..

Forum List

Back