Trump Needs to Take Responsibility to Save His Reelection, But it's Probably too Late

Biden is not nearly as flawed as Hillary was

I disagree. I think he's more flawed than she is, but he's more likable.

but I've said from before he threw his hat in the ring, he's too old. I ignore all this "Biden's losing his mind" crap; it's by the same folks who said Hillary was a dying drunk and Michelle Obama was a man.

I don't agree with that either. He's clearly is not as sharp as he used to be and I don't think he will perform well in one on one debates with Trump.

You are not going to dislodge a wartime sitting president with a Joe Biden. :auiqs.jpg:

Wartime President? You mean Surrender Monkey. Looks to me like he's officially thrown in the towel over the last two days and punted the ball back to the states. Apparently, he's tired of doing his job. It isn't fun for him anymore. He misses all that tweeting and golfing. The last war he fought was against STD's in the 70's and 80's in NYC.

I like Biden's chances.

Much like 2016, 2 very flawed candidates.

I'd get an absentee ballot, but it wouldnt' be worth the postage to send it back in.
Biden is not nearly as flawed as Hillary was, but I've said from before he threw his hat in the ring, he's too old. I ignore all this "Biden's losing his mind" crap; it's by the same folks who said Hillary was a dying drunk and Michelle Obama was a man. But campaigning is grueling and so is running the country. Biden is a decent guy and I tend to agree with the Democratic party more lately than the Republicans, but I wish someone else were on the ticket. I really do. I don't think he'll make it through a term, so I'm going to pay VERY close attention to his VP pick.

it cracks me up listening to 75-77 year old board members carping on and on about biden being too old -

:abgg2q.jpg:

Good grief your ignorance ignorance of politics is unimaginable. No Dumbocrat is voting for Trump (ever).

Plenty of Democrats voted for Trump. How do you think he won Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Maine's Second Congressional District?

No Republican is voting for Biden (ever).

Again, plenty of moderate Republicans and never Trumpers will vote for Biden because he's perceived as a moderate and a safe replacement. Your suburban soccer moms who have traditionally given the Republicans their support are becoming Biden voters. They are the reason the Republicans got shit on in the 2018 midterms.

You are not going to dislodge a wartime sitting president with a Joe Biden. :auiqs.jpg:

Wartime President? You mean Surrender Monkey. Looks to me like he's officially thrown in the towel over the last two days and punted the ball back to the states. Apparently, he's tired of doing his job. It isn't fun for him anymore. He misses all that tweeting and golfing. The last war he fought was against STD's in the 70's and 80's in NYC.

I like Biden's chances.

That's because you drink from the fake news fountain. Meanwhile back in the real world, President Donald Trump on Thursday announced new guidelines for reopening America after the peak of the coronavirus crisis. “We’re starting our life again. We’re starting rejuvenation of our economy again in a safe and structured and a very responsible fashion,” the President said of his three-phase plan. :eusa_clap:

But even that would be a shameless lie, as he went on his little hoax tour for over month while his administration was receiving dire warnings from them.

So all you are suggesting is a better strategy of lying his ass off.

I'm suggesting what would have been best for him politically. I said "That message would have been for the people in the middle: the moderate Democrats, the centrist Republicans, the suburban "Karens" who are slowly turning to the Democratic Party. "

That is not you.

I had this conversation with my brother and his neighbors the other night. My brother loves Trump (he's a cop) and thinks his reelection is a slam dunk because Biden is an idiot. I told him I'm not going to predict anything for November at this point, since I lost a $1,000 bet to him in 2016 that Hillary would win, but I did say if he does win it won't be the walk in the park like he thinks it is.

Trump could have saved himself a few weeks ago if he went straight to the American people and accepted responsibility. He should have set up a press conference from his desk in the Oval Office and spoke directly to the people. He should have said that in hindsight he admits they should have paid closer attention to this virus earlier and ask that the people please understand at the time they were operating with false information from China and flawed data from the WHO and the CDC. Nonetheless, he is the president and as Harry Truman once said, "the buck stops here." He'll accepts full responsibility for the missteps, but what's important now is that we all come together and find the best solution through this where we can limit the loss of life due to the virus while also mitigating the destruction to our economy and the financial well being of millions more.

The left, of course, would have pounced on that. "See!! He admits it!! His fault! His fault!" But, so what? They are going to do that anyway. The media would have a field day with it too, but again, who cares? They are going to do that anyway. That message would have been for the people in the middle: the moderate Democrats, the centrist Republicans, the suburban "Karens" who are slowly turning to the Democratic Party. Most of those people have the sense to see through the media spin and understand that yes, the world was hoodwinked, but yes, the administration should have been a bit more on top of things. They would have accepted this mea culpa on his part and he would have walked away from that speech smelling like roses. This is very similar to what Reagan did after the Iran Contra Affair and the people forgave him for it and elected his vice-president as the next president shortly thereafter.

Trump didn't do this, however, and he won't because the man is a narcissist. He takes credit for everything that happens, but points the finger at someone else when anything bad happens. He can't admit when he's wrong and he won't accept responsibility for anything. Instead, he continues to be combative. That may have worked for him when we were at DOW 29K, but not when 90% of the country is on shelter at home orders with their Constitutional liberties being grossly eroded right before their eyes with little push back.

At this point, it's probably too late for that now. His only hope is that come November people ultimately decide that staying with him four more years is better medicine than electing a 78 year old Biden who is slowly losing his mental faculties.
So when the WHO, his top medical advisors and the leader of the Democratic Party were all saying everything's cool, Trump was supposed to go against all of them and shut the country down? And what happened when he was considering a quarantine of New York? Governor Cuomo essentially squealed "DICTATOR"!

like Biden's chances.
Trump knows full well that Biden will go low with him. The moment he brings up Biden's mental gaffes, Biden will roll tape on the mentally ill president getting his ass kicked by the english language, the images of his heavily medicated pupils, the 3rd grade vocabulary, etc

I had this conversation with my brother and his neighbors the other night. My brother loves Trump (he's a cop) and thinks his reelection is a slam dunk because Biden is an idiot. I told him I'm not going to predict anything for November at this point, since I lost a $1,000 bet to him in 2016 that Hillary would win, but I did say if he does win it won't be the walk in the park like he thinks it is.

Trump could have saved himself a few weeks ago if he went straight to the American people and accepted responsibility. He should have set up a press conference from his desk in the Oval Office and spoke directly to the people. He should have said that in hindsight he admits they should have paid closer attention to this virus earlier and ask that the people please understand at the time they were operating with false information from China and flawed data from the WHO and the CDC. Nonetheless, he is the president and as Harry Truman once said, "the buck stops here." He'll accepts full responsibility for the missteps, but what's important now is that we all come together and find the best solution through this where we can limit the loss of life due to the virus while also mitigating the destruction to our economy and the financial well being of millions more.

The left, of course, would have pounced on that. "See!! He admits it!! His fault! His fault!" But, so what? They are going to do that anyway. The media would have a field day with it too, but again, who cares? They are going to do that anyway. That message would have been for the people in the middle: the moderate Democrats, the centrist Republicans, the suburban "Karens" who are slowly turning to the Democratic Party. Most of those people have the sense to see through the media spin and understand that yes, the world was hoodwinked, but yes, the administration should have been a bit more on top of things. They would have accepted this mea culpa on his part and he would have walked away from that speech smelling like roses. This is very similar to what Reagan did after the Iran Contra Affair and the people forgave him for it and elected his vice-president as the next president shortly thereafter.

Trump didn't do this, however, and he won't because the man is a narcissist. He takes credit for everything that happens, but points the finger at someone else when anything bad happens. He can't admit when he's wrong and he won't accept responsibility for anything. Instead, he continues to be combative. That may have worked for him when we were at DOW 29K, but not when 90% of the country is on shelter at home orders with their Constitutional liberties being grossly eroded right before their eyes with little push back.

At this point, it's probably too late for that now. His only hope is that come November people ultimately decide that staying with him four more years is better medicine than electing a 78 year old Biden who is slowly losing his mental faculties.
I think people understand that he did the best he could with the information he had at the time and that he has done a good job. No one has ever dealt with pandemic like this in most of our lifetimes and he had to put this plan into action nationwide for the first time in 60 years. No one expects perfection. What we got was likely the best possible outcome. I'm out and about every day and only see a handful of people using masks even today.

When I was in the Army the understanding was you corrected problems in the field. The time for the After Action Review was post mission. Every leader makes mistakes but it is very important for the leader to retain the trust of their people. Sometimes that means saving the recriminations for after the cessation of the crisis. After this crisis has past there will be time for president Trump to make a statement to the American people.

Would the friendly opposition please lay out what Trump should have done that he didn’t?

But I'm not the "opposition." I am also not one of his dedicated followers deifying him. I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016. I was beginning to consider voting for Trump this year because of how well the economy was doing, though, I still had some reservations about him. Now, however, I'm leaning away from him again.

I have defended the man plenty of times against the childish, brainless leftists here when he deserves being defended. I also call him out on his failures and flaws, much to the dismay of true believer cult worshipers like you.

"Accept responsibility" is just a meaningless cliche that clueless lefties banter around these days. Accepting responsibility means putting Americans back to work and for the most part democrat governors and the democrat majority in congress is trying to block every effort to bring America back from this (phony?) crisis.

I think people understand that he did the best he could with the information he had at the time and that he has done a good job. No one has ever dealt with pandemic like this in most of our lifetimes and he had to put this plan into action nationwide for the first time in 60 years. No one expects perfection. What we got was likely the best possible outcome. I'm out and about every day and only see a handful of people using masks even today.

When I was in the Army the understanding was you corrected problems in the field. The time for the After Action Review was post mission. Every leader makes mistakes but it is very important for the leader to retain the trust of their people. Sometimes that means saving the recriminations for after the cessation of the crisis. After this crisis has past there will be time for president Trump to make a statement to the American people.

Perhaps, but optics is everything, and right now the optics are him fighting with reporters at daily briefings like a bunch of children on a playground. He needs to arise above that and be the president and let the reports look like the assclowns they are. The media already has an abysmal approval rating among Americans.

I agree. Trump will never admit to being wrong on anything important unless he is cornered and forced to do so, which almost never happens. That narcissism is one thing that drives the left nuts and gives them TDS.

That being said, Trump has been lucky in that the dems keep picking terrible candidates to run against him. If we have a decent rebound in the economy by then without too many spikes of C-19, he will probably get a second term.

So when the WHO, his top medical advisors and the leader of the Democratic Party were all saying everything's cool, Trump was supposed to go against all of them and shut the country down? And what happened when he was considering a quarantine of New York? Governor Cuomo essentially squealed "DICTATOR"!

I think my commentary went straight over your head. I never suggested he do any such thing.

Forum List

Back