Trump Speech: Declaring American Economic Independence

US Steel Tariffs Against China Are Working: Americans Losing Jobs, Becoming Poorer As A Result

Some manufacturers are pushing back. In a letter to the Department of Commercerequesting an exemption, Steelcase Inc. Chief Executive James Keane said a tariff on a special kind of Japanese steel could cost one of his subsidiaries $4 million to $5 million a year.

The subsidiary, Polyvision, makes whiteboards for schools at a plant in Oklahoma, where it employs about 50 people. “If nothing changes, we would have to close our Oklahoma plant,” he wrote. “Schools can’t afford to pay more for these whiteboards, so if we raise prices to our customers they will use lower quality substitutes that are likely not made in the U.S.”

Steelcase is a modular office furniture manufacturer. I forget how much Steelcase modular office furniture I have built but in a row would stretch for miles.

They don't pay tariffs, US consumers do. How does that punish China?

IF we cannot come to any better terms, the tariffs discourage consumers from buying Chinese crap. Chinese exports fall dramatically, vastly reducing their income.

I'm a little surprised you couldn't figure out that one your...

Oh, I see. You were just pretending so you could get that little "gotcha" in.

Yes that worked real well with steel.

Do you actually have a good example?

How much more do you want US consumers to pay?

according to the article I linked and cut and pasted from, it did work out well.

How much was the increase in price to the US consumer? I don't know. As the dumping seemed to be from a temporary oversupply, the long term cost might not have been significant.

I posted the results and we lost more manufacturing jobs than are employed in steel. That is a bad thing.

So why do you go against history and economists and believe this silliness?

Economic ignorance is rampant in America.

The OP is evidence of this.

What Trump is proposing is what backwards Third World shitholes pursue.

We running at a annualized trade deficit of over 700 BILLION.

Being the world's bitch is not a Trade Policy to serve the interests of American Citizens.

Just say that you want the government to write you a check every month.

Because there's no difference between that and economic nationalism.

How does it feel to be part of the 47% who are "takers?"

For decades, no, for generations the Left has been pushing Big Government and we on the RIght have come to define ourselves as being ANTI-GOVERNMENT.

And you are allowing yourself to be stampeded to support ONE GOVERNMENT POLICY OVER another because you don't realize that the status quo is a function of government policy as much as the new government policy would be.

Our current government policy has ACTUALLY AND REALLY, favored the "rich" at the expense of the Middle Class and Working Class.

I know that when you read that you have a knee jerk response to reject it, because of the Class Warfare Rhetoric of the Left for the last 100 years.

BUT just because the LEFT lies about that type of thing ALL THE TIME, does not mean that it never happens.

The current policy has HARMED more Americans than it has HELPED.

It has been a bad policy for Americans, and America.

It is time to change a government policy that has not been working.

And now you are big government. You want the government to determine the costs of goods.

Bullshit. China has built their whole world on the money fountain their unfair trade with us is.

IF we cannot come to any better terms, the tariffs discourage consumers from buying Chinese crap. Chinese exports fall dramatically, vastly reducing their income.

according to the article I linked and cut and pasted from, it did work out well.

How much was the increase in price to the US consumer? I don't know. As the dumping seemed to be from a temporary oversupply, the long term cost might not have been significant.

I posted the results and we lost more manufacturing jobs than are employed in steel. That is a bad thing.

You totally ignored why steel couldn't compete here even when it was pointed out to you. You're a hack with the economy like you are with guns. Your brain is FUBARed.

You totally ignored why steel couldn't compete here even when it was pointed out to you. You're a hack with the economy like you are with guns. Your brain is FUBARed.

You are not making sense AGAIN.

See above.

See above.

Tariffs lost more jobs than were saved. They don't work.

Bullshit. China has built their whole world on the money fountain their unfair trade with us is.

Your article was from many years AFTER my article and seems to be an opinion of what WILL happen, not a record of what DID happen.

IN the article I posted, people like you were doomsaying about a Trade War, but the Europeans desperate to keep their incredible overall trade surpluses with US, caved on steel.

They seem to be convinced that massive Trade Surpluses are very valuable to them.

While so many of US seem to think that massive Trade Surpluses are just fine for US.

I wonder if that has something to do with why Germany has TWICE the rate of manufacturing employment we have.

Being the world's bitch is not a Trade Policy to serve the interests of American Citizens.

For decades, no, for generations the Left has been pushing Big Government and we on the RIght have come to define ourselves as being ANTI-GOVERNMENT.

And you are allowing yourself to be stampeded to support ONE GOVERNMENT POLICY OVER another because you don't realize that the status quo is a function of government policy as much as the new government policy would be.

Our current government policy has ACTUALLY AND REALLY, favored the "rich" at the expense of the Middle Class and Working Class.

I know that when you read that you have a knee jerk response to reject it, because of the Class Warfare Rhetoric of the Left for the last 100 years.

BUT just because the LEFT lies about that type of thing ALL THE TIME, does not mean that it never happens.

And now you are big government. You want the government to determine the costs of goods.

Government HAS been determining the cost of goods, by allowing "level" competition between American workers, and chinese slaves in factories with zero safety or pollution control expenses.

Not to mention what other more subtle cheats our enemies have been doing and our government has been complicit in.

See above.

And yet Germany, inside the EU trade block, has twice the manufacturing jobs (% wise) as we do.

Your article was from many years AFTER my article and seems to be an opinion of what WILL happen, not a record of what DID happen.

IN the article I posted, people like you were doomsaying about a Trade War, but the Europeans desperate to keep their incredible overall trade surpluses with US, caved on steel.

They seem to be convinced that massive Trade Surpluses are very valuable to them.

While so many of US seem to think that massive Trade Surpluses are just fine for US.

I wonder if that has something to do with why Germany has TWICE the rate of manufacturing employment we have.

Are you a moron? Yes my link was years after and looked at what actually happened. That is when you can review the results, years later. Your link was at the time of the tariff, it was guessing the results. You can't be this stupid.

See above.

And yet Germany, inside the EU trade block, has twice the manufacturing jobs (% wise) as we do.

The EU has free trade among its members. That is a huge free trade agreement.

Government HAS been determining the cost of goods, by allowing "level" competition between American workers, and chinese slaves in factories with zero safety or pollution control expenses.

Not to mention what other more subtle cheats our enemies have been doing and our government has been complicit in.

Yes we have been buying really cheap goods that make us richer.

Here's a transcript of today's speech by Trump ( June 28, 2016). He blasted her on TPP and really drove home the America first narrative. interested to see how the left will knock this speech ;)

It was a really good one. He goes after globalism/globalists, elites, TPP, and Clinton. The message is a great one for ALL American's.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/DJT_DeclaringAmericanEconomicIndependence.pdf
The Big Orange Clown is our Savior !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...the guy with 6 bankruptcies and 3500 law suits ...who makes his clothing in Mexico and China ...
EVERYBODY KNOWS OR OUGHT TO KNOW THAT WHAT THE CLOWN SAYS TODAY HE DENIES TOMORROW...GUARANTEED...:badgrin:...in any case what did John Miller say ..:2up:

Clinton Way Ahead In Iowa
July 1, 2016

A new Loras College poll in Iowa finds Hillary Clinton crushing Donald Trump in the presidential race, 48% to 34%.

In the U.S. Senate race, Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA) is barely aheaad of challenger Patty Judge, 46% to 45%.

Why Steel Tariffs Won't Save Jobs
As a result of a Section 201 (“safeguard”) investigation brought at the
behest of the U.S. steel industry, President Bush in March 2002 imposed tariffs
on imports of certain steel products for three years and one day. The tariffs,
combined with other challenges present in the marketplace at the time and in the
months that followed, boosted steel costs to the detriment of American
companies that use steel to produce goods in the United States. The resulting
negative impact included job losses for thousands of American workers.
The Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition (CITAC) Foundation
requested a formal examination of the impact of higher steel costs on American
steel-consuming industries,1 and in particular, a quantification of employment
losses at those companies. This study employed straight-forward and widelyaccepted
regression analysis using a variety of price and employment data to
maximize the reliability of the results.2 We found that:
• 200,000 Americans lost their jobs to higher steel prices during 2002.
These lost jobs represent approximately $4 billion in lost wages from
February to November 2002.3
• One out of four (50,000) of these job losses occurred in the metal
manufacturing, machinery and equipment and transportation equipment and
parts sectors.
• Job losses escalated steadily over 2002, peaking in November (at 202,000
jobs), and slightly declining to 197,000 jobs in December.4
• More American workers lost their jobs in 2002 to higher steel prices than
the total number employed by the U.S. steel industry itself (187,500
Americans were employed by U.S. steel producers in December 2002).

Anti-trade Trump is like Traditional Marriage Trump. We're supposed to ignore he's spent his life screwing everyone...Do not ever forget that Donald Trump will say one thing to day and then tomorrow he will look you in the eye and deny he said it......

See how happy your tariffs made manufacturing a year after they were started:

U.S. Steel Users Claim Tariffs “Protect a Few at the Expense of the Majority” - Knowledge@Wharton

U.S. steel users are paying about a third more for their raw material than they did a year ago, forcing thousands of job losses and leading some to seek cheaper steel from overseas suppliers. Others are threatening to move their own businesses offshore to escape what they say is the prohibitive cost of doing business in the U.S.

Taking what Donald Trump says in speeches and declarations at face value is the "Mark of The Sucker"....Donald Trump will tell a tile contractor he will pay him 100 k for the job of placing tiles on a building ...when the time comes to pay he uses the legal system and his wealth to beat the man down to 80 k...this is the man whose statement one is going to take at face value ? what are you nuts ?

there is a reason why he is involved in 3500 law suits...the duplicity and chicanery of Trump are without parallel...

Last edited:
ECONOMISTS have long argued that tariffs are bad for a country’s development in the long run. They raise prices for consumers, steer capital away from the most productive investments and breed inefficiency and rent-seeking by limiting competition from abroad. To that long list add another baleful consequence: by coddling farmers, agricultural tariffs encourage them to have more children and to educate them less, hampering economic growth for decades into the future

http://www.economist.com/news/finan...-protectionism-harms-development-toll-tariffs

Forum List

Back