Trump Speech: Declaring American Economic Independence

Here's a transcript of today's speech by Trump ( June 28, 2016). He blasted her on TPP and really drove home the America first narrative. interested to see how the left will knock this speech ;)

It was a really good one. He goes after globalism/globalists, elites, TPP, and Clinton. The message is a great one for ALL American's.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/DJT_DeclaringAmericanEconomicIndependence.pdf

I watched part of a Trump speech this A.M. on YouTube. Now to say I watched it is a bit of an exaggeration. I was running around the house getting ready to leave. So, I didn't catch the venue, I didn't catch the date, (I have the impression it was recent), I didn't even catch the overall topic. So, all I got through my chaotic rushing about was an overall impression not grounded in detail. And I have to say it was a new side of Trump I was confronted with. He sounded like a different fella, organized logic, a kind of eloquence I haven't seen before, very professional. It wasn't the usual (what I have been calling) stream-of-consciousness, unfocused casting about for audience reaction and then feeding off whatever the audience response happened to be. I think his usual audience feedback/response technique fuels the mob-like nature of many of his fans. Now that's a liberals take from many of his rallys. It could be criticized as selective perception by now, we liberals have been passing around these ideas for a year.

Whatever the truth of those old impressions Trump will benefit significantly if he can cultivate the kind of impressions he was communicating in that speech I only sampled. I think he was using a teleprompter (which I see as a legitimate aid in a long complex speech) and to whatever extent he relied on a speech writer to gather his thoughts into a coherent narrative, from the phrases I caught it was done rather well.

If Mr. Trump could maintain that kind of personal discipline through the rest of the campaign Democrats will have something to worry about, I don't see Hillary's favorables improving much unless surrogates like Bernie or Warren or Bill can accomplish that for her.

Yes. He is now speaking from prepared remarks. His "tell it like it is" style stopped working for him. He has moved on to trying to be a regular politician. His problem.......he doesn't know what he is talking about. He is less prepared than those he defeated for the nomination ( save Carson ).

That kind of ignorance cannot be masked.

Explain. We can buy huge tvs for cheap.

You think tariffs will work? Cause again, US consumers pay tariffs.

They have in the past.

When plants shut down, towns die, people lives are fucked up.

A few dollars a hour difference in wages can make the difference between a marriage that fails and a marriage that succeeds.

A few dollars a hour difference in wages can make the difference between a couple that manages to scrap by and one that feels confident enough to start a family.

Give examples of success.

Here is one.

Is Protectionism America’s Future?

"the president is now being bashed for the most sensible decision he has taken to put America first: the imposition of tariffs on foreign steel being dumped into the United States, which had put 30 U.S. steel companies in bankruptcy.

“You will start a trade war!” they screamed.

What happened? The EU, its huge trade surplus with America at risk in any trans-Atlantic trade war, chickened out and backed down. The president prevailed. The EU will not impose retaliatory tariffs. Smart fellows.

As for the U.S. steel mills Bush sought to protect, consider this item buried inside the free-trade Wall Street Journal.

Under a headline, “Steelmakers Post Improved Results for 2nd Quarter,” a reporter writes: “Buoyed by import tariffs, the country’s two largest steelmakers reported vastly improved second-quarter results, as mills operate at nearly full capacity and prices rise.

“The outlook for the rest of the year looks solid …”

Well done, Mr. President."

Sounds like it increased prices to consumers and made it hard for US manufacturing to source steel.

American steel is at war with China

Are claiming a connection between the two stories? They are very widely spaced in time.

Yes, not allowing foreign competition to undercut us with dumping, or savings from lax regulation, or cheap labor, or VAT rebates, will have some increase in price.

While hopefully saving and increasing jobs, and wages.

As in the story I linked to.

Contrary to economic scientists we are entering deflation and in stagflation at the moment.

One is a Rapist the Other a Former Heavyweight Champion...any questions ???

trump-tyson-701x394.jpg

he's counting on the ignorance of his audience...

problem for him, he's got that crowd already captured!
dunce.gif
This is about all you useful idiots can come up with. It was a great speech, he got specific in many key areas and all you can do is this? Who do you think you're kidding here?

Hmm, trade wars with China and Mexico and Canada. And he's bringing steel back too.

The trade wars are doable.

The top exports of China are Computers ($208B), Broadcasting Equipment ($157B), Telephones ($107B), Integrated Circuits ($61.5B) and Office Machine Parts ($46.9B), using the 1992 revision of the HS (Harmonized System) classification. Its top imports are Crude Petroleum ($205B), Integrated Circuits ($135B), Iron Ore ($73.4B), Gold ($63.9B) and Cars ($55.2B).

OEC - China (CHN) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners
His point is the we have been in a trade war. And losing badly. Your solution is ...?

Explain. We can buy huge tvs for cheap.

You think tariffs will work? Cause again, US consumers pay tariffs.

They have in the past.

When plants shut down, towns die, people lives are fucked up.

A few dollars a hour difference in wages can make the difference between a marriage that fails and a marriage that succeeds.

A few dollars a hour difference in wages can make the difference between a couple that manages to scrap by and one that feels confident enough to start a family.

Give examples of success.

Here is one.

Is Protectionism America’s Future?

"the president is now being bashed for the most sensible decision he has taken to put America first: the imposition of tariffs on foreign steel being dumped into the United States, which had put 30 U.S. steel companies in bankruptcy.

“You will start a trade war!” they screamed.

What happened? The EU, its huge trade surplus with America at risk in any trans-Atlantic trade war, chickened out and backed down. The president prevailed. The EU will not impose retaliatory tariffs. Smart fellows.

As for the U.S. steel mills Bush sought to protect, consider this item buried inside the free-trade Wall Street Journal.

Under a headline, “Steelmakers Post Improved Results for 2nd Quarter,” a reporter writes: “Buoyed by import tariffs, the country’s two largest steelmakers reported vastly improved second-quarter results, as mills operate at nearly full capacity and prices rise.

“The outlook for the rest of the year looks solid …”

Well done, Mr. President."

Sounds like it increased prices to consumers and made it hard for US manufacturing to source steel.

American steel is at war with China

Are claiming a connection between the two stories? They are very widely spaced in time.

Yes, not allowing foreign competition to undercut us with dumping, or savings from lax regulation, or cheap labor, or VAT rebates, will have some increase in price.

While hopefully saving and increasing jobs, and wages.

As in the story I linked to.

Helping jobs in steel while costing jobs in manufacturing that uses steel. Our manufacturing is now at another disadvantage because they pay more for steel.

Here's a transcript of today's speech by Trump ( June 28, 2016). He blasted her on TPP and really drove home the America first narrative. interested to see how the left will knock this speech ;)

It was a really good one. He goes after globalism/globalists, elites, TPP, and Clinton. The message is a great one for ALL American's.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/DJT_DeclaringAmericanEconomicIndependence.pdf

that was one of his best

it will neat to hear hillarys response

--LOL

Remember the good old days... when the GOP was for free trade?
Like all libs you have a selective memory or no knowledge. Reagan slapped tariffs on Japan as they were dumping motorcycles here. A 100% tariff on their electronics. Free trade doesn't mean stupid trade. It isn't a party issue, the power brokers love having their bread buttered on both sides and will use the power of the media to get you on board.

US Steel Tariffs Against China Are Working: Americans Losing Jobs, Becoming Poorer As A Result

Some manufacturers are pushing back. In a letter to the Department of Commercerequesting an exemption, Steelcase Inc. Chief Executive James Keane said a tariff on a special kind of Japanese steel could cost one of his subsidiaries $4 million to $5 million a year.

The subsidiary, Polyvision, makes whiteboards for schools at a plant in Oklahoma, where it employs about 50 people. “If nothing changes, we would have to close our Oklahoma plant,” he wrote. “Schools can’t afford to pay more for these whiteboards, so if we raise prices to our customers they will use lower quality substitutes that are likely not made in the U.S.”

Hmm, trade wars with China and Mexico and Canada. And he's bringing steel back too.

The top exports of China are Computers ($208B), Broadcasting Equipment ($157B), Telephones ($107B), Integrated Circuits ($61.5B) and Office Machine Parts ($46.9B), using the 1992 revision of the HS (Harmonized System) classification. Its top imports are Crude Petroleum ($205B), Integrated Circuits ($135B), Iron Ore ($73.4B), Gold ($63.9B) and Cars ($55.2B).

currently i have a contract remodeling two hotels in a chain

everything about these two are hotels are getting swapped out

down to the last picture on the wall

one of the hotels received six 6 40ft cosco shipping containers

the other 7 all these hand packed to the ceiling end to end

every piece of it straight from china

plus all the granite vanities and lighting came from china as well

Some manufacturers are pushing back. In a letter to the Department of Commercerequesting an exemption, Steelcase Inc. Chief Executive James Keane said a tariff on a special kind of Japanese steel could cost one of his subsidiaries $4 million to $5 million a year.

The subsidiary, Polyvision, makes whiteboards for schools at a plant in Oklahoma, where it employs about 50 people. “If nothing changes, we would have to close our Oklahoma plant,” he wrote. “Schools can’t afford to pay more for these whiteboards, so if we raise prices to our customers they will use lower quality substitutes that are likely not made in the U.S.”

Well, you know, maybe not?

And the reason why not is obvious too. What we want is to be able to consume as much as possible at the lowest cost possible. That’s the point and purpose of our having an economy at all. Thus we don’t want to raise the price of the things that people consume. This is true whether those things are made within our country or outside it. In fact, the cheaper those imports are the more they make us richer. So, sure, we can raise the price of steel. But we don’t want to because that is the thing which makes people poorer. They must pay more for something made with steel and thus have less to spend upon other things.

And it’s not as if we don’t know that. Back a while President Bush imposed tariffs on steel imports. And we know what the outcome of that was:

As a result of a Section 201 (“safeguard”) investigation brought at the
behest of the U.S. steel industry, President Bush in March 2002 imposed tariffs
on imports of certain steel products for three years and one day. The tariffs,
combined with other challenges present in the marketplace at the time and in the
months that followed, boosted steel costs to the detriment of American
companies that use steel to produce goods in the United States. The resulting
negative impact included job losses for thousands of American workers.
The Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition (CITAC) Foundation
requested a formal examination of the impact of higher steel costs on American
steel-consuming industries,1 and in particular, a quantification of employment
losses at those companies. This study employed straight-forward and widelyaccepted
regression analysis using a variety of price and employment data to
maximize the reliability of the results.2 We found that:
• 200,000 Americans lost their jobs to higher steel prices during 2002.
These lost jobs represent approximately $4 billion in lost wages from
February to November 2002.3
• One out of four (50,000) of these job losses occurred in the metal
manufacturing, machinery and equipment and transportation equipment and
parts sectors.
• Job losses escalated steadily over 2002, peaking in November (at 202,000
jobs), and slightly declining to 197,000 jobs in December.4
• More American workers lost their jobs in 2002 to higher steel prices than
the total number employed by the U.S. steel industry itself (187,500

Yes. And?

The thing that people seem unwilling to admit is that the policies which led to that scenerio were established by Republican legislators. It's not something that Trump knows how to fix, either.

Note that last line. The estimation of jobs lost to steel tariffs was higher than the total number working in the steel industry. And that, of course, is why we don’t like tariffs on imports. They make us all poorer and get some number of us kicked out of our jobs too. Yes, this is true even if the importer is “playing unfair” or dumping.

US Steel Tariffs Against China Are Working: Americans Losing Jobs, Becoming Poorer As A Result

We aren't losing jobs now? Trotting out examples of big business that loves cheap material supply so they can stick it to us doesn't change anything.

Yes. And?

The thing that people seem unwilling to admit is that the policies which led to that scenerio were established by Republican legislators. It's not something that Trump knows how to fix, either.

who signed nafta

We aren't losing jobs now? Trotting out examples of big business that loves cheap material supply so they can stick it to us doesn't change anything.

Actually, no. We aren't losing jobs now. Manufacturing jobs are being added.

Yes it shows tariffs lost more jobs than protected while increasing prices to consumers. That is a losing strategy.

Yes. And?

who signed nafta

Excellent question. Clinton signed it.

Who proposed it? Who wanted to sign it but couldn't? Who made sure that worker protections were added before he signed it?

And...NAFTA did not lead to Chinese cabinets flooding our market. Did it?

Yes it shows tariffs lost more jobs than protected while increasing prices to consumers. That is a losing strategy.
Where does it show that?

Forum List

Back