Trump thinks he can change the Constitution via EO

Stop calling them invaders. Anyone calling them that should have their post pulled.

It's the truth. It's what they are. I know, that as a good LIbEral, you prefer lies and deceit over truth, but I am a sane person, not a LIbEral, so I'll stick with telling the truth, no matter how much it offends left wrong-wing filth such as yourself.

Rule #1 applies:

Every argument from Democrats and Liberals is a misrepresentation, a fabrication, or a bald-faced lie.

Trump is actually using an Executive Order for it's intended purpose in this case.

Specifically to issue an executive action on a question that has never been addressed by either the courts or Congress, which is the application of the 14th Amendment to children born in the U.S. to illegal immigrant or temporary legal status parents.

This isn't an attempt to CHANGE the Constitution but to force an interpretation of it from one (or both) of the other branches.

I suspect than when the dust is settled the Judicial Branch will rule in favor of birthright citizenship for the children of illegals/temporary legal status and Congress being Congress will remain mute on the question.

There is no upside

Yes there is an upside, if SCOTUS rules in favor of birthright citizenship for the children of illegals/temporary legal status (which I suspect it would) then Stare Decisis will be on the side of those children and they have much less to worry about when it comes to having their citizenship yanked by some future Executive and/or Congress.

The ruling was made in 1898.

Nope, it wasn't the case you cited doesn't address the question of Children born to illegals/temporary legal status it specifically addressed the children of legal residents that were barred by an act of Congress from obtaining citizenship.

The question of birthright citizenship under the 14th for the these children targeted by this (potential) EO hasn't been addressed by either SCOTUS or Congress, it's just been assumed.

]The good news is that the "conservatives" on the Court will interpret the 14th Amendment as it is written (as they should), rather than based on the intent. This is a great example of why I want strict constructionists on the Court. The correct decision is to first give the words of the constitution their plain meaning and only use the legislative intent to resolve ambiguities. The 14th is unambiguous. Trump's EOs should be shot down.I still want him to do it to get the issue before Congress and the States.
`
Both sides are waiting for the right case to bring before SCOTUS. The wording has to be precise.

Trump plans to sign executive order ending birthright citizenship: Axios

More red meat for the masses. Even he is not stupid enough to think this will work.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
It will work to get more votes from people who have the right to vote.

I hate EOs. I think they are bullshit. I think the 14th Amendment is sloppy but clear. It needs to be amended.

BUT, Obama opened the EO door despite our yelling and screaming, so a little payback is in order.

Hopefully, the EO bullshit will stop forever after this.

The EO has been used since this nation was founded but now it's bad because Oblama did it...Yeah that makes sense..

O was a piker compared to fdr.

I'm not a fan of Executive Orders, though. The problem with them is that they're too often abused and end up violating, at the very least, undermining constitutional separations of powers.

EXCEPT.. when the Executive uses them to address a question of immediacy that hasn't been addressed by the other 2 branches, which applies in this case, that was the original purpose of the EO and yes it is often abused.

He's in effect forcing a judicial branch decision on the question, Congress could also weigh in via legislation but it won't since it's too political and Congress has a habit of avoiding responsibility for anything that could potentially cause the critters to lose voters.

Yeah. And you know with all of this arguing back and forth about Ds and Rs, it'd do us all well to recall just how derelict Congress is of their duty. Good point. What's their approval rating anyway? 8 or 9 percent? Gosh. The Judicial branch has pretty much been free to routinely undermine our Constitution as a consequence of the malfeasant and derelict Congress.

Trump is actually using an Executive Order for it's intended purpose in this case.

Specifically to issue an executive action on a question that has never been addressed by either the courts or Congress, which is the application of the 14th Amendment to children born in the U.S. to illegal immigrant or temporary legal status parents.

This isn't an attempt to CHANGE the Constitution but to force an interpretation of it from one (or both) of the other branches.

I suspect than when the dust is settled the Judicial Branch will rule in favor of birthright citizenship for the children of illegals/temporary legal status and Congress being Congress will remain mute on the question.

There is no upside

Yes there is an upside, if SCOTUS rules in favor of birthright citizenship for the children of illegals/temporary legal status (which I suspect it would) then Stare Decisis will be on the side of those children and they have much less to worry about when it comes to having their citizenship yanked by some future Executive and/or Congress.

No upside for Trump I meant

Sure there is, he's getting his base fired up right before the mid terms on his signature issue, whether he follows through on this EO or not, the timing is purely political.

I thought it was kind of funny that during the interview he played coy about being surprised that Axios knew about the EO, I'd be willing to bet he's the one that ordered it to be leaked.

Stop calling them invaders. Anyone calling them that should have their post pulled.

It's the truth. It's what they are. I know, that as a good LIbEral, you prefer lies and deceit over truth, but I am a sane person, not a LIbEral, so I'll stick with telling the truth, no matter how much it offends left wrong-wing filth such as yourself.

She's not filth. She just has a different view. OL is good people, man.

More red meat for the masses. Even he is not stupid enough to think this will work.

O opened that door. You were down.

Nope I was not. Unlike you I have not sold my soul
to a political party

I wasnt either nor am I now.

invader noun [ C ]
UK /ɪnˈveɪ.dər/ US /ɪnˈveɪ.dɚ/
army or country that uses force to enterand take control of another country:

The foreign invaders were finally defeated by alliedforces.
In·vad·er
[inˈvādər]
NOUN
  1. a person or group that invades a country, region, or other place.
in·vade
/inˈvād/
verb
  1. (of an armed force or its commander) enter (a country or region) so as to subjugate or occupy it.
    "it was all part of a grander French plan to invade Ireland"
    synonyms: occupy, conquer, capture, seize, take (over), annex, win, gain, secure; More
    • enter (a place, situation, or sphere of activity) in large numbers, especially with intrusive effect.
      "demonstrators invaded the presidential palace"
      synonyms: overrun, swarm, overwhelm, inundate
      "every summer, tourists invaded the beach"

I'm not a fan of Executive Orders, though. The problem with them is that they're too often abused and end up violating, at the very least, undermining constitutional separations of powers.

EXCEPT.. when the Executive uses them to address a question of immediacy that hasn't been addressed by the other 2 branches, which applies in this case, that was the original purpose of the EO and yes it is often abused.

He's in effect forcing a judicial branch decision on the question, Congress could also weigh in via legislation but it won't since it's too political and Congress has a habit of avoiding responsibility for anything that could potentially cause the critters to lose voters.

Yeah. And you know with all of this arguing back and forth about Ds and Rs, it'd do us all well to recall just how derelict Congress is of their duty. Good point. What's their approval rating anyway? 8 or 9 percent? Gosh. The Judicial branch has pretty much been free to routinely undermine our Constitution as a consequence of the malfeasant and derelict Congress.
Good point about the Judicial branch and sadly Congress has the power to stop the undermining with NOT SUBJECT TO JUDICIAL REVIEW riders on legislation but of course Congress doesn't use it because they're cowards.

FYI: It's pretty easy to determine the Approval Rating for Congress, the formula is

Congressional Approval Rating = Approval Rating for Brain Cancer - 5 points.

There is no upside

Nope, it wasn't the case you cited doesn't address the question of Children born to illegals/temporary legal status it specifically addressed the children of legal residents that were barred by an act of Congress from obtaining citizenship.

The question of birthright citizenship under the 14th for the these children targeted by this (potential) EO hasn't been addressed by either SCOTUS or Congress, it's just been assumed.

That is your incorrect opinion. The term is jus soli.

Anyway. Birthright citizenship has never been adjudicated as far as I know. And United States v. Wong Kim Ark would be the case to prove birthright citizenship hasn't yet been adjudicated, since that case set the illusion of precedent.

Bringing it to court is monumental because that forces adjudication on birthright citizenship. And one of the very few things I agree with Trump about. Of course, it likely wasn't his idea, he isn't that schooled on such things, no way. I'm glad someone said something to him. lol.

I wonder if it was Rand or Massie.

Last edited:

There is no upside

That is your incorrect opinion. The term is jus soli.

K, whatever you say, we'll see what the courts have to say about the relevance of that case if/when this EO is issued and challenged.

I suspect it's not going to apply.

O opened that door. You were down.

Nope I was not. Unlike you I have not sold my soul
to a political party

I wasnt either nor am I now.

Yeah ok, that is why your default response was whataboutism

Forum List

Back