Trump to defund PBS/NPR.

[

Fresh Air with Terry have long had a liberal bias, I admit that I have not listened to her in a few years but during the Bush years, she was critical of Bush. She is very low key however, there is a bias. Since it has been a few years I am going off past experience. I don't listen to politics on the radio anymore, I will listen to sports talk and music, that is now it. If NPR and PBS can't make it on their own they need to go.

And that's WAY too much. Once again, if your ideas are so darn good, they need not be mandatory.

Having a military is a good idea, shouldn't we be able to fund it voluntarily?

The military is in Constitution. PBS and NPR is not.

That's the dumbest post of the day.

There's so many, how do you choose?

What makes it stupid is, CONGRESS is in the Constitution, and CONGRESS funds PBS and NPR, and the SCOTUS is in the Constitution, and SCOTUS has not ruled PBS/NPR funding unconstitutional.

If Congress takes away the funding then we have nothing to worry about.

What, you mean PBS gets government money?

Impossible!

Sit through the ten minutes of commercials at the start of each "Masterpiece" and then tell me it's non-commercial and sucks only government teat.

15% of PBS funding is from the government.

Then the other 15% should be easy enough for others to pick up.

The People want that 15% to come out of taxes. You lose.

I don't lose a damn thing, if tax money is no longer allocated to it by Congress, it is gone or they survive like most businesses, on their own merit.

Most of NPR's funding comes from listener support and donations from companies. Why a president would want to try to cut federal funding for NPR is beyond me. Trump is one sick fuck. He could cut federal funding for it, but NPR wouldn't go away -- period.

President piece of shit can take his authoritarian fascist fantasies and shove them up his fucking ass.

BINGO!!! They don't need government funding to continue and it won't go away. So it s a win/win! No tax dollars and still on the air!

But I digress, it is The Congress with the power to impact the lives of every American, and yet, The Congress protects its membership from much they do. We have 535 people whose number one priority is to protect their job, and in doing so provide to their benefactors so that they too will be taken care of every two or six years, depending on the chamber in which they work part time.
BS. That may be the IDEA, but most of the time these assholes are either working for special interest benefit or their own, trying to get re-elected...or off playing golf.

Wow, you really cannot read and comprehend. That's sad.

Impossible!

Sit through the ten minutes of commercials at the start of each "Masterpiece" and then tell me it's non-commercial and sucks only government teat.

I don't lose a damn thing, if tax money is no longer allocated to it by Congress, it is gone or they survive like most businesses, on their own merit.

Congress won't defund it. The GOP had 6 years under Bush to defund it. They didn't.

Do you want your $1 a year from me to pay your share? Would you like to be my hardship case?

About time. State funded media is a bad idea. We don't buy the schlock spewed by other country's state-run propaganda machines, we shouldn't have it here. The notion of "news" funded by the government is distasteful at best, tyrannical at worst.

Besides, if NPR and PBS programming is as quality as many say, it will have no problem thriving in a free market.
PBS begs viewers for donations. They don't need our tax dollars.
Oh......yup......sure......uh-huh :blahblah:

lol, how many times over the years of the internet has this debate been on a message board?

And the RWnuts lose every time.
Now it's your turn to lose.

girl-dance-funny-gif-animation.gif.cf.gif

Historically, the first order of business for an authoritarian government is to neutralize the media and press. That is what trump is doing by attacking the media. The results will be that no one is able to decipher what is real news and what is not. The government gains complete control of what the public is allowed to know. Even provable facts are questioned and left in doubt.

You've completely misunderstood, and to think 8 people agreed with you. It's mind boggling. Explain to the board how Trump is gaining "complete control of what the public is allowed to know" when he is doing away with GOVERNMENT FUNDED radio. People are free to fund their own stations where they can say whatever they want. This way the government won't control radio and the message.

Stopping TAXPAYER money from funding NPR and PBS is fascist and authoritarian?

Anyone who makes that claim is a stark raving moron.

Making them close down is fascist and authoritarian. Making them be funded privately without taxpayer money is called the free market.

Flipping idiots.

Historically, the first order of business for an authoritarian government is to neutralize the media and press. That is what trump is doing by attacking the media. The results will be that no one is able to decipher what is real news and what is not. The government gains complete control of what the public is allowed to know. Even provable facts are questioned and left in doubt.

You've completely misunderstood, and to think 8 people agreed with you. It's mind boggling. Explain to the board how Trump is gaining "complete control of what the public is allowed to know" when he is doing away with GOVERNMENT FUNDED radio. People are free to fund their own stations where they can say whatever they want. This way the government won't control radio and the message.
By attacking the press he confuses the public about what they can believe or not, what is real and what is fake. The news media is hence controlled by neutralizing the impact its reporting can have in educating the public. Trump can say whatever he wants, no matter how big a lie it is and his cover is simply to blame the conspiratorial media that is out to get him. Doesn't matter how provable his lying is, as long as enough people have doubts he gets away with the lie.

Stopping TAXPAYER money from funding NPR and PBS is fascist and authoritarian?

Anyone who makes that claim is a stark raving moron.

Making them close down is fascist and authoritarian. Making them be funded privately without taxpayer money is called the free market.

Flipping idiots.

We have tax payer money paying for private schools and religious pregnancy clinics, so ... why not NPR?

By attacking the press he confuses the public about what they can believe or not, what is real and what is fake. The news media is hence controlled by neutralizing the impact its reporting can have in educating the public. Trump can say whatever he wants, no matter how big a lie it is and his cover is simply to blame the conspiratorial media that is out to get him. Doesn't matter how provable his lying is, as long as enough people have doubts he gets away with the lie.

You didn't answer the question. How does not funding government radio (where Government can control the message) and encouraging them to privatize allow him to control the message? Your logic is flawed.

NPR allows people like you to present their opinion, unfettered and uncensored.
Have you ever listened to NPR - I mean REALLY listened to them, over a period of time. I doubt it. Their main personnel promote Liberals / Democrats while making fun of Conservatives. When talking to people like me they may allow them to speak but usually end up making fun of them / making jokes about their opinions.

If you have ever paid attention to their programming or really listened to them, political bias is absolutely a FACT on NPR.

Maybe what you perceive as bias is a reality based analysis of problems and potential solutions which challenge your opinions? I've said before, many times, a conservative is defined by what they oppose. Rarely does a conservative come up with an innovative idea, and never in my experience on this message board.

Examples, sure:

• Gun Control, more guns is their solution
  • Gay Rights, discrimination is an unalienable right
  • Green, renewable energy, is a shame "Solyndra!!!"
  • Diplomacy, Brinkmanship
  • Voting Rights, less polling places, less accessible, shorter days and hours
  • Women's rights, just today a conservative on a thread claimed the 19th Amendment ought to be repealed

Impossible!

Congress won't defund it. The GOP had 6 years under Bush to defund it. They didn't.

Do you want your $1 a year from me to pay your share? Would you like to be my hardship case?

No hardship, but more proof you don't get it. We need to cut taxes, we need to cut government spending. I don't mind tax money going to welfare and helping those in need. It does bother me to see entities that don't need tax money. PBS, NPR, Amtrak, Nike, Ford, GM, Exxon, Alcoa, Intel and on and on and on. It all needs to stop and the government needs to quit caving to these corporations.

Most of NPR's funding comes from listener support and donations from companies. Why a president would want to try to cut federal funding for NPR is beyond me. Trump is one sick fuck. He could cut federal funding for it, but NPR wouldn't go away -- period.

President piece of shit can take his authoritarian fascist fantasies and shove them up his fucking ass.
So if it wouldn't go away then it doesn't need federal funding.

So if what you are saying is true, then when did the press get neutralized under Obama? Obama: 'If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan' | PolitiFact

The government lied and there was no attacking the press under Obama, unless it was Fox News, that was acceptable to liberals. It seems the prior administration got away with lies, why was that acceptable then and not acceptable now?

You didn't answer the question. How does not funding government radio (where Government can control the message) and encouraging them to privatize allow him to control the message? Your logic is flawed.

Your question is not relevant. The POTUS appoints the Board of Directors of the Corp. of Public Broadcasting to six year terms, and may only appoint 5 of the 9 members to his or her political party. This claim that NPR and PBS have liberal biases is an unfounded meme promulgated by those who feel they and their ideas are treated unfairly.

Forum List

Back