Trump to sign order keeping meat processing plants open

And if he didn’t you would start a thread crying that he is starving people to death.

Just STFU, Canuck. We don’t care about your TDS idiocy.

People don’t need meat to live. And people don’t need to die in order to feed them. The majority of meat processing plants aren’t having outbreaks and employees dying.

A few months ago Tyson Foods was in the news for the largest ICE raids in American history. Now they’re in the news for multiple outbreaks in multiple facilities.

The problem is that the kind of people who encourage illegal immigration are doing so in order to run unsafe, unclean facilities.

Americans have the cheapest food in the world. Illegal labour in unsafe conditions is why.

After deaths of workers in the JBS meat plant in Colorado, they started testing their 6000 workers, starting with their management and supervisors. When they found that 40% of just the management staff was positive with the virus, they stopped all testing. They didn't want to know, otherwise they would have to shut down. They rather have their workers die and spread the virus throughout the country, as long as they make money.
sorry, isn't logical. the infect rate is only 20%. perhaps their kits were contaminated. And they recognized that. seems logical to me.

After deaths of workers in the JBS meat plant in Colorado, they started testing their 6000 workers, starting with their management and supervisors. When they found that 40% of just the management staff was positive with the virus, they stopped all testing. They didn't want to know, otherwise they would have to shut down. They rather have their workers die and spread the virus throughout the country, as long as they make money.
Hmmm..I gotta tell ya.. you're off base a bit...The JBS meat plant in Greeley did shut down after an outbreak..it's still shut down afaik--and there are some hard questions to ask the management..about pressuring workers to work..but that's pretty normal in that world.

But there was no cover up....and every plant worker was tested..every one....I'd welcome a link substantiating the 40% infected rate

False. They did not test everyone. They stopped. And they will reopen this week.
Indeed, not everyone is tested--my bad for assuming that they followed through....plant is reopening with screening and free tests for anyone who reports any symptoms..or has a fever. Company is increasing pay by $4.00 an hour and giving every worker $600. Basically..ask for a test and you get one. I agree that every American should be tested--to get the asymptomatic carriers. I'll point out that most food factories have remained open..and that most food factories have had close to zero issues.

JBS is looking more than a little scandalous----They promised tests...as did VP Pence.

name one of the employees complaining. name one.

Trump has done well in responding to the Wu Flu; his decision TODAY to declare meat processing facilities essential AND ordering them to stay open may damn well prevent the supply chain from being irreparably damaged!

we are already looking at inflation, rising energy costs and food costs -- keeping production open as much as possible is a big step for the safety, security and well being of the country

and yes, Trump is allocating safety equipment for the industry! We were looking at possible food shortages; this was a great move by the President today

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump will sign an executive order Tuesday meant to stave off a shortage of chicken, pork and other meat on American supermarket shelves because of the coronavirus.

The order will use the Defense Production Act to classify meat processing as critical infrastructure to keep production plants open.

The order comes after industry leaders warned that consumers could see meat shortages in a matter of days after workers at major facilities tested positive for the virus. A senior White House official said the administration was working to prevent a situation in which a majority of processing plants shut down for a period of time, which could lead to an 80% drop in the availability of meat in supermarkets. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the order before its release.

Sure. Nothing like completely botching the response to the virus, touting miracle cures, and then ultimately demanding that people who work shoulder to shoulder in some of those plants be forced back to work. All in an effort to save your worthless presidency so some Trump supporter can get their frozen chicken nuggets. WTF.

You never worked a day in your life have you?

Meat Packing Plants can not shutdown and more than Chicken Nuggets are made at these places.

I am lucky that I live in Texas and we have places to get freshly made sausages, farmed raised chicken, goat meat, lamb meat and beef but I bet you are upset at this...

Trump is doing the correct course of action and you thinking it is wrong until the minority communities have no food on their shelves then you would have been screaming he should have done something...
I can't stand Jack!
Jack is correct in terms of working conditions and health risk.
it's that way every day in their world. I think jack is jack.

Trump has done well in responding to the Wu Flu; his decision TODAY to declare meat processing facilities essential AND ordering them to stay open may damn well prevent the supply chain from being irreparably damaged!

we are already looking at inflation, rising energy costs and food costs -- keeping production open as much as possible is a big step for the safety, security and well being of the country

and yes, Trump is allocating safety equipment for the industry! We were looking at possible food shortages; this was a great move by the President today

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump will sign an executive order Tuesday meant to stave off a shortage of chicken, pork and other meat on American supermarket shelves because of the coronavirus.

The order will use the Defense Production Act to classify meat processing as critical infrastructure to keep production plants open.

The order comes after industry leaders warned that consumers could see meat shortages in a matter of days after workers at major facilities tested positive for the virus. A senior White House official said the administration was working to prevent a situation in which a majority of processing plants shut down for a period of time, which could lead to an 80% drop in the availability of meat in supermarkets. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the order before its release.

The President is right, the people still have a right to eat. Starvation and famine really isn't an option.

I do not know if Trump has any political motivation in this order or not. Can't say if ordering it is correct move. It very well may be. I do believe it is within his power to order the packing plants to keep their doors open and processing at what ever level they have the manpower willing to work to produce.
He obviously cannot force sick workers to work or force workers afraid to go to work, to go anyway. These workers are not military. He cannot order them into action. Somebody mentioned this is what the active military or national guard can be used for. Doubt it, as I said, they are not trained for this. Hopefully a monetary deal can be made that appeals to the workers to bribe them to do what may seem to be or what may actually be dangerous duty. Anyway you slice it, I expect the price of meat to rise significantly.
I don't know about you, but we will be stocking up. If I find it to be necessary, I will have a steer slaughtered and packed locally for the freezer, as it won't be the first time. If you don't have one, it may be time to be checking on a deep freeze.
so do you think the meat is infected and that's why they should be concerned? I'm not following what your logic is.

The President is right, the people still have a right to eat. Starvation and famine really isn't an option.
again, the actions are far far worse than the virus. this is yet another source of evidence that this is beyond rational way to treat society. the meat packing plants are essential. Why aren't none of you concerned with the healthcare resources? they are actually working with infected people. why not just shut down the hospitals? Are you really that deranged?

I doubt it's enforceable. What in the Constitution gives a president the authority to force a private business to stay open?

Hmmm..I gotta tell ya.. you're off base a bit...The JBS meat plant in Greeley did shut down after an outbreak..it's still shut down afaik--and there are some hard questions to ask the management..about pressuring workers to work..but that's pretty normal in that world.

But there was no cover up....and every plant worker was tested..every one....I'd welcome a link substantiating the 40% infected rate

False. They did not test everyone. They stopped. And they will reopen this week.
Indeed, not everyone is tested--my bad for assuming that they followed through....plant is reopening with screening and free tests for anyone who reports any symptoms..or has a fever. Company is increasing pay by $4.00 an hour and giving every worker $600. Basically..ask for a test and you get one. I agree that every American should be tested--to get the asymptomatic carriers. I'll point out that most food factories have remained open..and that most food factories have had close to zero issues.

JBS is looking more than a little scandalous----They promised tests...as did VP Pence.

The tests shouldn't be voluntary. That company should test everyone period.

That is the only way to know who has the virus or not.

A person can have the virus and not have any symptoms. If a person has the virus and doesn't get the test then goes to work, the virus is unleashed again.

I don't know if anyone has ever done any tests on food that has been contaminated by someone who has the virus. Does it transfer? If the virus is in food you eat will you get the virus? I know it can live on surfaces for a long time so if it's in food you eat what happens to the person who eats the food?

This is still a prescription for disaster.

I'm so glad I don't eat meat.

Donald Trump has just told 500,000 blue collar workers in meat packing plants, their lives don't matter. Meat packing plants which are sites of some of the largest covid19 clusters in the country, have been ordered to stay open, so as not to disrupt the food chain.

The CDC has issued new guidelines to these plants on keeping workers safe, but rather than requiring Tyson Foods, and other big Republican donors to ensure their workers' safety, but the directive was issued as suggestions, where feasible.

Every time in this virus that Donald Trump has made a decision, it's been the wrong one.

Everyone can wear a mask. They can take their break someplace where they aren't sitting next to each other and handling the same microwave, etc. There can be hand sanitizer at every turn. Their temp can be checked daily; anyone with ANY symptoms or recent contact within anyone who is positive should be turned around at the door. Employees that are vulnerable to the virus should stay home and not be penalized. Most people would rather be working than sitting on their asses at home. Many states have flattened the curve and the new cases and deaths are dropping precipitously. I don't know the situation in each of the states where these plants are, but it may be time anyway.

I HAVE seen some of these plants -- well around here it is fish and seafood they're preparing, and you're right about the assembly lines. But this can be done. Saying Trump doesn't care about their lives is no different than saying first responders and electrical workers lives don't matter. OF COURSE THEY MATTER. But we need to eat. Bottom line.

There is a lot more to the break in the food chain than just the processing plants, including repacking for individual consumption and getting it where it needs to go in refrigerated trucks, etc. It is complicated. But without the meat, the whole thing collapses and so do the farmers that have been raising animals for slaughter.

I doubt it's enforceable. What in the Constitution gives a president the authority to force a private business to stay open?
That Defense Production Act does. The Constitution allows legislation granting authority to the Pres.

Crystal Rodriguez at 1:28 on the 1st link. Not that it matters--just like the challenge. Now what? you pooh-pooh the link and everyone moves on..so?

Is it hypocritical to support Trump's new order that these meat processing businesses stay operational while at the same time protesting the large number of other elected governors, judges, mayors, and city council members around the country ordering so many draconian measures to keep coronavirus under control with many of those orders and mandates having questionable legality or constitutionality? If those questionable mandates using questionable authority from state level politicians are concerning for so many people then shouldn't mandates from the federal government, in this case the executive branch, be a cause for concern as well?
Meat is important to the US economy; it is not essential to anyone's diet unless an MD says so.
sure it is essential. it provides protein. We are a meat eating animal. you think a tiger or lion can exist without meat? It is amazing the number of people who forget history. really, amazing.

And yeah, yeah, vegan this and that. nope, doctors say a vegan diet is missing the necessary protein for a healthy body.

Crystal Rodriguez at 1:28 on the 1st link. Not that it matters--just like the challenge. Now what? you pooh-pooh the link and everyone moves on..so?
so one person? do you know if she even works for them? just curious where you took that. Let's say she does, she is welcome to stay at home. I don't want to see her buying or eating any meat.

Last edited:
Is it hypocritical to support Trump's new order that these meat processing businesses stay operational while at the same time protesting the large number of other elected governors, judges, mayors, and city council members around the country ordering so many draconian measures to keep coronavirus under control with many of those orders and mandates having questionable legality or constitutionality? If those questionable mandates using questionable authority from state level politicians are concerning for so many people then shouldn't mandates from the federal government, in this case the executive branch, be a cause for concern as well?
Meat is important to the US economy; it is not essential to anyone's diet unless an MD says so.
sure it is essential. it provides protein. We are a meat eating animal. you think a tiger or lion can exist without meat?

1588172408163.png

sure it is essential. it provides protein. We are a meat eating animal. you think a tiger or lion can exist without meat?

View attachment 329631
thanks, one cat. One. when in the real world

View attachment 329631

I was only addressing your comment that they couldnt exist to show you they can and do,,,

View attachment 329631

I was only addressing your comment that they couldnt exist to show you they can and do,,,
I said thanks. but One. One

View attachment 329631

I said thanks. but One. One
one that we know of,,,where theres one there are usually more,,,

so one person? do you know if she even works for them? just curious where you took that. Let's say she does, she is welcome to stay at home. I don't want to see her buying or eating any meat.

i didn't 'take' it anywhere...you asked...I answered. Not in the least interested in a vegetarian diet or the debate about it.

We are a meat eating animal. you think a tiger or lion can exist without meat? It is amazing the number of people who forget history. really, amazing.

Humans are omnivores--we eat anything/everything. Some things are better..and all things require balance. Tigers and lions are carnivores--they must eat meat to survive.

Many people live to ripe old ages as vegetarians---more so if they just eat fish & tofu for protein. Red meat in excess is unhealthy--any reputable Dr. will back that up.

None of this is on topic though.... the woman is question has a Father, who works at the plant, on a ventilator. I'm sure she's scared--and who wouldn't be? It's clear that the company..for what ever reasons, financial or otherwise-is dragging its feet on wholesale testing.

Forum List

Back