Trump/Vance childcare cost solution...

Right with you.

We always planned on one income.

It can be a little frustrating at times, but I would not trade the benefits of having my wife at home (where she wanted to be) for anything I can think of.

We felt that way as well. Though we did not really plan for it, we planned for her to go back to work as she made more than i did as a lowly E4 in the Marines. But that did not last long at all.

We made do.

By the time my wife went back to work 12 years ago I was out of the Marines and working a job that gave me a ton of flexibility to be there for our son for his last decade in the house.

How many years in the military did you have and how many children in military child care?

I spent twenty years on active duty.

We used military child care centers multiple times as we moved from base to base.

#1 Military Child Care Centers are space limited meaning a max cap. Typically waiting lists were 6 to 12 months depending on age group needed and infant care typically had the longest waiting lists.

#2 Military Child Care Centers are not free and when were using them there wasn't a huge difference in the cost of the on-base center vs. off-base civilian centers was not that much in CONUS. OUTCONUS can be even worse as there may not be what we think of as Child Care Centers.
#3 The Military Branch doesn't provide the center, as in funded from their budget. It's the base MWR (Moral, Welfare, and Recreation Department) that runs the child care centers and they have to be self funding.
I ask because you describe it as "that luxury" implying that on-base child care is (a) avaialble to all, and (b) cheap [which it's not].

WW

I did no such thing. I wish people would quit spinning what others said to make it appear they are saying what someone else wants to argue.

Nowhere did I ever argue, nor would I argue that child care is a "luxury". Being pro-life I believe child care is a necessity.

So, one of the ways that you might be able to relieve a little bit of pressure on people who are paying so much for daycare is make is so that maybe, grandma and grandpa wants to help out a little bit more.

“Or maybe there’s an aunt or uncle that wants to help out a little bit more. If that happens you relieve some of the pressure on all the resources that we’re spending in daycare.”

So, mooching off family members is the plan to lower the cost of childcare?

Seems there are a few holes in this plan.

Not seeing the issue with Vance suggesting parents consider using family to help with childcare. Nor do I see an issue with cutting regulations for people who want to provide childcare.
I realize democrats would rather let drag queens read stories to children than let grandma watch them, but whatever.

Nothing wrong with grandparents taking care of the kids....but many seniors work themselves, or are medically incapable.....any grandparents that can take care of the grandkids for their daughter, likely are already....

Many moons ago, when I worked for Rockport at their Corporate headquarters, a subsidiary of Reebok at the time, (now owned by Adidas)

Our office had daycare for their workers right there in the building, and a dry cleaning service, and a first class cafeteria with vegan menu available, and a first class gym...beyond your best equipment!

We were allowed to go to the gym and work out 45 minutes a day during working hours....

The benefits were excellent too, 14 paid holidays, 7 days sick time, and 3 weeks vacation after 1 yr working there, jury duty full pay, could take time off to vote, 3 days death bereavement pay....my grandma died and they gave me 10 days to go back to Florida for her death and paid me..., your birthday off as a perk.... $8 a two week pay period for full coverage healthcare 80%/-20% coverage, $200 deductible....

This company won best mid size business, for employment in the USA several years in a row...

The Day care service meant the world to the moms working.

Let me throw something else into the discussion. Some have presented what I call the “Leave It To Beaver” or “Father Knows Best” mentality of harkening back to a bygone era. They days when Dad worked and Mom stayed home. I grew up on the 60’s and 70’s and home life was much like that. Dad worked for AT&T in the field, Mom stayed home until we were in High School and then took a part-time job with the bank as a teller. Small Social Security, Pension, and the company’s retirement medical are the only things they had after a long life.

In those days our parents worked for companies that provided pensions and health care into retirement. But things have changed. For the vast majority of people today pensions are a thing of the past. Now most are on their own. If they want to be able to pay the bills they better have saved in their 401K’s and be ready to supply for their own medical needs even with Medicare having a supplement is pretty much required. To do that you have to work.

To afford to support two people in retirement, you need two incomes during your working years to be able to put something away for retirement. The opportunity cost for the woman being out of the job market for 5-15 years can be crippling.

The other factor is the mobility of our society. They talk about grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. providing child care. Which works when society isn’t mobile and people are born, live, work and retire in the same geographic area. But children today aren’t like that. They go off to school, they go where the jobs are. Having grandparents in California and Tennessee doesn’t help one with when your job has taken you to Virginia.

WW

Progs caused all of this. All the social agendas that was the road to utopia. The solutions caused problems. And the solutions to the problems caused, caused more problems. And so on. Truthfully it costs more for a woman to work than a man. As the taxpayers get reamed paying for all of the issues caused from feminism that morphed into 3rd generation extreme radical feminism. Telling you the truth is not going to change your reaction to what I typed.
The problem is that it’s ignorant rightwing idiocy.

Grandparents may be incapacitated, disabled, live outside of the state, or are no longer living.

The fact is that the Republican ‘solution’ to childcare costs is if you can’t afford childcare, don’t have children.

I did no such thing. I wish people would quit spinning what others said to make it appear they are saying what someone else wants to argue.

Nowhere did I ever argue, nor would I argue that child care is a "luxury". Being pro-life I believe child care is a necessity.

1725976632215.png

Dude, you literally called on-base Military Child Care a luxury.

WW

Some grandparents do, some do not.

What happens if the grandparents live 5 states away?

This plan assumes everyone lives close by all the rest of their family.
Where exactly does it assume that? I like the fact that as my boys got toward 1st grade, first my Dad, and then my Mom watched my boys after school. There influence was good on my children and helped them understand how family helps family. I realize this is a foreign concept to those who would like the government to raise their children, ie liberals.

I kinda feel sorry for him....his really messed up mom and dad screwed the boy up....a real mental job on him.... Considering what he went through, he's doing okay....he could have easily have been the 14 yr old killer at the high school, with near same bad parenting background!

Grandma and grandpa saved him....sort of....

So, to me....part of him being just weird, comes from what he had been through as a child....

Am I showing my soft and squishy liberal colors?
Wait, it takes a village right, part of the village are grandparents. That is the part of the village I want involved in my child's life. You twat waffles really need to quit with the double standards, what was it Walz said, mind your own business? Walz was lying of course, just like libs always do, by then turning neighbors against each other. Vance is right

So, one of the ways that you might be able to relieve a little bit of pressure on people who are paying so much for daycare is make is so that maybe, grandma and grandpa wants to help out a little bit more.

“Or maybe there’s an aunt or uncle that wants to help out a little bit more. If that happens you relieve some of the pressure on all the resources that we’re spending in daycare.”

So, mooching off family members is the plan to lower the cost of childcare?

Seems there are a few holes in this plan.
The right’s unwarranted opposition to addressing childcare costs coupled with conservatives’ support of reckless, irresponsible abortion bans is further proof that Republicans are incapable of sound, responsible governance.

The right’s unwarranted opposition to addressing childcare costs coupled with conservatives’ support of reckless, irresponsible abortion bans is further proof that Republicans are incapable of sound, responsible governance.
Why should anyone be forced through taxation to provide for your child care, we were not rich but we figured it out, surely you elitist pukes can figure something out without making someone else pay for it!

You make some logical points, all of which scream for smaller government and budgets. Modernization and technology could also help offset a smaller workforce.
With Pentagon cuts off limits, the rest of it is nickels and dimes unless we stop maintaining roads and bridges. I`m okay with tolling all of them.

Where in Article I does Congress get the power to use taxpayer funds to pay for babysitters?

What this country needs is a SERIOUS movement to restore the power of the Tenth Amendment. At least half of discretional Federal spending is blatantly unconstitutional.

For the record, my Italian-immigrant in-laws provided most of the babysitting for my one and only child. Had they not been willing to do so, my wife would have quit her job to nurture him rather than pay "strangers" for that task. It's all about priorities.
The Tenth Amendment became irrelevant 150 years ago

GOP has zero solutions for the common American, but they do have lots of solution for how the wealthy can avoid paying taxes. The GOP has zero dollars for childcare for the struggling but have billions for big agriculture and big oil.

I come from a family that has traveled the world and lives far from where we started and all live multiple states apart from each other or even in different countries.

We were raised to be responsible and take care of our own children and not expect our parents to raise our kids as well.

A new concept for you I suspect.
/-----/ Me watching my grandkids on occasion, is "expect our parents to raise our kids as well. "
You blithering idiot.

Why should anyone be forced through taxation to provide for your child care, we were not rich but we figured it out, surely you elitist pukes can figure something out without making someone else pay for it!
If Republicans are going to force women to give birth against their will with reckless, irresponsible abortion bans, they should at least have the political acumen to address the childcare needs of working Americans.

But Republicans are incapable of sound, responsible governance – instead adhering blindly to failed, wrongheaded conservative dogma.

Forum List

Back