Trump Wants to Mandate Insurance Companies to Pay for IVF Treatments

Nope. They've always been called Libertarians. They actually have their own political party, in case you didn't know.
Nope. There used to be many Republicans who supported limited government, who saw the dangers of "free shit" and ham-handed government regulation - even if it benefited them personally in some way. That's what distinguished them from Democrats. Used to be.

They used to be called conservatives, and there were actually some in the Republican party. Not so much these days.
Well, there are regs and then there are regs. All Americans working together achieved clean air and water by simply setting limits of commercial pollution, and letting industryies bid to buy the right to pollute. Stuff like that, and catalytic converters, proved popular and effective. No one could honestly say "it didn't help overall." Even conservatives if they were honest had to admit it.

Medicare is regulatory, and involves personal autonomy, and it's proven pretty popular, although fiscally ...... Still, you may notice Trump is not trying to piss off voters here.

Imo, Americans will accept regulation even if it hinders their freedom IF everyone gets treated the same, and there's some obvious overriding benefit

I think he's obnoxious and crass.

Of course he is and I don't blame him one bit. The left was constantly throwing indictment after indictment at him, taking his words out of context and twisting them around, and most recently tried to have murdered. He has every right to be obnoxious and cross with these people.

You find paying for IVF treatments intolerable?

Yeah but probably not abortion. AKA baby murdering.

You find communism acceptable?

This isn't communism. Do you find murdering innocent babies acceptable?

Nope. There used to be many Republicans who supported limited government,
I support that.
who saw the dangers of "free shit" and ham-handed government regulation - even if it benefited them personally in some way. That's what distinguished them from Democrats. Used to be.
Some free shit is bad, some is good. You have a very black and white view of life

Well, there are regs and then there are regs. All Americans working together achieved clean air and water by simply setting limits of commercial pollution, and letting industryies bid to buy the right to pollute. Stuff like that, and catalytic converters, proved popular and effective. No one could honestly say "it didn't help overall." Even conservatives if they were honest had to admit it.
Yes. The word "regulation" is constantly equivocated on. When libertarians oppose regulation, liberals love to accuse them of being against all laws. But we have no problem with laws that actual punish wrong-doers. Laws that hold people or corporations accountable when they pollute the environment are fine and proper. But laws that tell them they have to use solar energy supplied by approved government vendors or other kinds of government "management", are wrong. That's what we refer to as "regulation" - laws that mandate conformity for convenience sake (always the convenience of some at the expense of others).

Imo, Americans will accept regulation even if it hinders their freedom IF everyone gets treated the same, and there's some obvious overriding benefit
Sure. Like stop signs at intersections. Nominally, a hardcore libertarian might argue that's a violation of our rights. But there's an obvious, widely supported benefit to all of us agreeing to stop at stop signs. Far too many of the regulations we impose via the state aren't widely supported. Regulations mandating conformity when it's simply not necessary. ACA for example.

Last edited:
I support that.

Some free shit is bad, some is good. You have a very black and white view of life
Well, it depends on why you oppose "free shit". I oppose it because it's not the purpose of government and invariably violates equal protection. It promotes dependency and the notion that government is there to take care of us. It exists primarily because Congress wants more power to extract money from lobbyists. (eg you can bet the IVF companies will be adamant champions, and aggressive lobbyists, for Trump's IVF requirement.)

Today's Republicans don't oppose "free shit" on principle. They just want different free shit than the Democrats.

The Old Weird Guy makes Thomas Dewey seem like a bona fide firebreathing conservative. And Dewey expliclity did NOT want to repeal the New Deal without a real alternative plan.

Nope. It was meant to be a caustic insult. How'd it go?

I love you 'middle of the road' people, you're no better than what you accuse others of. So, since R's are supposed to be about freedom and less government, they get taken to task if they support something that goes against those principles, but D's can support that shit all day, every day and they get a pass from you guys because that's what they're supposedly about. Your 'free shit' comment should be directed to them, they should be the ones ridiculed every single time they propose it, yet you're in here ridiculing Trump supporters for the very thing you won't hold the left accountable for at all? Wtf? Explain to me where the 'logic' is in that position? Other than TDS?

Well, it depends on why you oppose "free shit". I oppose it because it's not the purpose of government and invariably violates equal protection. It promotes dependency and the notion that government is there to take care of us. It exists primarily because Congress wants more power to extract money from lobbyists. (eg you can bet the IVF companies will be adamant champions, and aggressive lobbyists, for Trump's IVF requirement.)

Today's Republicans don't oppose "free shit" on principle. They just want different free shit than the Democrats.

Again, where's your ridicule for the D supporters? I only ever see it for the Trump supporters.

I love you 'middle of the road' people, you're no better than what you accuse others of. So, since R's are supposed to be about freedom and less government, they get taken to task if they support something that goes against those principles, but D's can support that shit all day, every day and they get a pass from you guys because that's what they're supposedly about.
Uh... no they don't. If you read my posts, you'd know that. Not that you're under any obligation to read my posts, but I oppose this kind of crap across the board.

Forum List

Back