Trump's trade war with China

The Chinese are patient, and Xi Jinping is a very patient man. They are used to five, ten, and twenty year plans. Xi is also politically savvy. He knows Trump is a very unpopular President and is getting more unpopular everyday as his trade war becomes more serious..Because of his 15% tariff, prices on popular consumer goods go up big time beginning Sept. 1.

Trump has until November 2020 to make some progress. So far his trade war has been disastrous, and Wall Street has been treading water since Jan. 2018. Today, even Trump is concerned about a possible recession.

All Xi has to do is wait him out. Actually, in Chinese terms, Xi doesn't have long to wait. Thirteen months, that is thirteen seconds on the Chinese clock.

Wait him out for WHAT exactly? What is Xi hoping to gain in this?

Xi is hoping to get a new president that is more reasonable and willing to negotiate and does not conduct diplomacy via tweets.
I sincerely hope this is true. I am pretty damn confident that it is not.

It looks to me that XI is looking to restore China as the premier world power. Limiting US control over international markets and putting China there would basically achieve this. The reason that the US can essentially bully the world into doing what is in the interest of the US is because the planet's economy is tied to us. IF Trump had leveraged the rest of our allies to address China's bad faith trade policies then he may have forced them to the table. What Trump has done instead is try and take them on 1 to 1 and they are responding by shoring up their position in the global economy instead of ours.

I no longer thing that Xi really wants a deal with the US. I think he would rather see us isolated so that China can exert much more influence on the rest of the world.

That is long term. Short term, he wants to keep the massive trade surplus.
Based on?

Why would he want to support action for the short term that is 100 percent counter to his long term goal? That is nonsensical.

What are you even talking about?

And our "allies" were never going to back US. They are too used to the US being the world's bitch on trade.
Going "back?" Who said anything about going back. The US has ENORMOUS economic influence over most of the word, over virtually all of the productive world. Rather than beat China over the head with every trading partner we have, Trump goes on a bunch of trade battles with out allies at the same time as taking on China. That is asinine. He should deal with China from the greatest position of power. A position that used all the European markets as well. Instead, we are dealing with China from a weaker position than we could be in.

For someone that is supposedly sup[posed to be good at making a deal, this is the most basic rule in negotiating.[/QUOTE]

"Backing" someone in this context, was obviously a reference to "supporting" someone.

We have a Commerce Clause not a Trade War clause.

Just relax while team Trump cleans up your mess snowflake.
lol. Nobody takes the right wing seriously about economics.

Just Americans in 30 states who voted for Trump, oh wait :itsok:
lol. y'all got your "gospel Truth" from Wikileaks.

We whooped your ass in 2016, even with Obama putting his legacy on the line. Its still funny :auiqs.jpg:
lol. "illegals must have voted."

Do, you agree with this statement or not?

Rather than beat China over the head with every trading partner we have, Trump goes on a bunch of trade battles with out allies at the same time as taking on China. That is asinine. He should deal with China from the greatest position of power. A position that used all the European markets as well. Instead, we are dealing with China from a weaker position than we could be in.

Rather than beat China over the head with every trading partner we have, Trump goes on a bunch of trade battles with out allies at the same time as taking on China. That is asinine. He should deal with China from the greatest position of power. A position that used all the European markets as well. Instead, we are dealing with China from a weaker position than we could be in.

No, I do not.

No, I do not.

Thanks.

you do not know much about strategy in a war, do you?

No, I do not.

Thanks.

you do not know much about strategy in a war, do you?

I know what China wants, and I know that we have the power to not give it to them.

I also know that our "allies" want the same thing, and are not likely to really work with US on it, and besides, we need to be addressing their hostile actions against US also.

I know what China wants, and I know that we have the power to not give it to them.

I also know that our "allies" want the same thing, and are not likely to really work with US on it, and besides, we need to be addressing their hostile actions against US also.

Sigh...with each successive post, I understand more and more why you are so taken with Trump.

have a nice night

Sigh...with each successive post, I understand more and more why you are so taken with Trump.

have a nice night

YOur inability to be honest or even clear, continues.

have a nice night

Discussing these things with you is as useful as doing so with my dog, the level of understanding is about the same.

If you think we are better off isolating ourselves and fighting the whole world at the same time there is no sense going any further, you are beyond reason.

have a nice night

Discussing these things with you is as useful as doing so with my dog, the level of understanding is about the same.

If you think we are better off isolating ourselves and fighting the whole world at the same time there is no sense going any further, you are beyond reason.

Says the man that won't say what we are fighting over.

LOL!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!

It really does not matter, isolationism is a losing position. Telling our allies to fuck off and die is a losing position.

you are too stupid to understand the need for allies, nothing further needs to be said

LOL!!!!!!!

It really does not matter, isolationism is a losing position. Telling our allies to fuck off and die is a losing position.

you are too stupid to understand the need for allies, nothing further needs to be said

1. Still not daring to admit what the actual issue is.

2. ANd now more dishonesty, pretending that there is a binary choice between what you see as working with our allies and "isolationism".

LOL!!!!!!!

2. ANd now more dishonesty, pretending that there is a binary choice between what you see as working with our allies and "isolationism".

Not having allies is pretty much the meaning of isolationism. Do try and keep up

LOL!!!!!!!

Not having allies is pretty much the meaning of isolationism. Do try and keep up

Now you are pretending that not working together ON THIS ONE ISSUE, is the same as NOT HAVING ALLIES AT ALL.

Seriously dude, If you have to be this dishonest to defend your position, it is time to just admit that you are wrong, and start reexamining your assumptions and then conclusions.

LOL!!!!!!!

Now you are pretending that not working together ON THIS ONE ISSUE, is the same as NOT HAVING ALLIES AT ALL.

Seriously dude, If you have to be this dishonest to defend your position, it is time to just admit that you are wrong, and start reexamining your assumptions and then conclusions.

If our allies cannot be trusted to support us against a common enemy, then clearly they are not our allies.

You cannot have it both ways. You need to make up your mind.

Amazing how little people understand how trade is one method a country / enemy can use to wage WAR against another...

Dems / snowflakes continue to demand we surrender so they can get cheap(er) crap.

LOL!!!!!!!

If our allies cannot be trusted to support us against a common enemy, then clearly they are not our allies.

You cannot have it both ways. You need to make up your mind.

I agree with that. Their behavior in not supporting US, and even more so, in the very act of being offended by the idea that we would want to have policies that serve our interests, (like they do)

does mean that they are clearly not our allies.

BUT, that is not what I WANT, that is just a recognition of the situation as it stands.

AND, I hope that sometime down the road, we can build a more real alliance with some of them.

The brits with their brexit, might be very good candidate for a new relationship, if their leaders were grownups.

I agree with that. Their behavior in not supporting US, and even more so, in the very act of being offended by the idea that we would want to have policies that serve our interests, (like they do)

BUT, that is not what I WANT, that is just a recognition of the situation as it stands.

AND, I hope that sometime down the road, we can build a more real alliance with some of them.

The brits with their brexit, might be very good candidate for a new relationship, if their leaders were grownups.

We did not give them the chance to support us against China, instead we preemptively attacked them first. This was a huge tactical flaw in Trump’s trade war. He has driven China and the EU closer, giving them even less reason to give in to Trump’s demands.

The worst thing that could happen to the US is for the world to realize they do not need us as much as we think they do.

We did not give them the chance to support us against China, instead we preemptively attacked them first. This was a huge tactical flaw in Trump’s trade war. He has driven China and the EU closer, giving them even less reason to give in to Trump’s demands.

The worst thing that could happen to the US is for the world to realize they do not need us as much as we think they do.

The EU like China, has been taking advantage of our poor trade policy, to benefit their citizens at the expense of our citizens, for decades.

Decades before Trump.

They are used to getting the benefit for their citizens, and were not going to just give it up, no matter what or how Trump did anything.

That you act as though time began, when Trump took an action, is just you reflexively siding AGAINST America as always.

Forum List

Back