🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

TURN OFF YOUR TELEVISION!!!!

13086218.gif

I've been watching the news too much lately and all it does is upset me, so my solution is don't watch the news for awhile.

I remember when I was on a Hawaiian vacation back in 03', how wonderful. No news at all. Just Sun and surf and listening to the wife bitch at me about getting up and going for walks. It was Heaven. I didn't feel like taking an axe-handle to the television every 15 minutes. A calm feeling creeped into my subconscious and I was at perfect ease.

I want to get that feeling back somehow. I guess not watching the news is a good start. Who needs to watch all of this mess about how we're such a racist country. How we've had not weeks, not months, not years, not decades, but centuries of racism. I don't want to hear that garbage anymore and feel like pumping rounds into Comrad Deblasio's fat face. I want to be cool. I want to just watch "Harry Potter" or throw in "Hobo With A Shotgun" an all-time classic.

I suggest the same for everyone else, because this place really sucks lately. The insanity is going full tilt 24/7.
Don't watch TV

Not having television would be like not having meatloaf --- it's become an American staple.

I suppose if you are against TV, even populism-festive shows such as the quirky Batman (DC Comics) comic book adapted vigilantism-inspection series "Gotham" (Fox TV), then you could always imagine media broadcasts and entertainment videos as prophetic 'invisible ink.'

There may be a potential for a healthy compromise!

:argue:

Something else I just thought of. There was someone here who posted the outcome of the verdict for the officer in Ferguson recently. They posted it early in the evening on USMB yet the television news did not report the outcome of that jury hearing until about 8 or 9 p.m. at night. So those who read the news here on USMB about that verdict of no indictment had the news hours earlier than those who didn't read it on USMB. Something to consider.
That was me, got bashed by a few people here.

I'm keeping my cable until Game of Thrones is available on Netflix.

I can't help it. I'm an addict.

Not having television would be like not having meatloaf --- it's become an American staple.

I suppose if you are against TV, even populism-festive shows such as the quirky Batman (DC Comics) comic book adapted vigilantism-inspection series "Gotham" (Fox TV), then you could always imagine media broadcasts and entertainment videos as prophetic 'invisible ink.'

There may be a potential for a healthy compromise!

:argue:
I have a box of Cookies in the Kitchen cabinet been their for 2 weeks, I love them, but I don't eat them wife gets them

Television is fatally flawed, unless you're a propagandist, in which case it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Which is another thing you can advertise on television.

I got rid of mine when it dawned on me that anything I wanted to watch I could get on the internet for free with the exception of live sports -- which I'd have to pay for on TV anyway to get what I want. So out it went. I've never regretted it for one second. It's a ball and chain.
Now if only PCs came with a 55inch screen.
They do. Just hook up your pc to your tv. I did that recently but undid it because of Survivor and Dude Your Screwed and Master Chef and Curse Of Oak Island.
AMEN!!! Meeeee tooooo, I LOVE those shows!!!! Well, minus Survivor...I've never watched it....and now there is also that Lost Giants show that I like too, along with Survivor Man, and Duel Survivor but I miss Cody

13086218.gif

I've been watching the news too much lately and all it does is upset me, so my solution is don't watch the news for awhile.

I remember when I was on a Hawaiian vacation back in 03', how wonderful. No news at all. Just Sun and surf and listening to the wife bitch at me about getting up and going for walks. It was Heaven. I didn't feel like taking an axe-handle to the television every 15 minutes. A calm feeling creeped into my subconscious and I was at perfect ease.

I want to get that feeling back somehow. I guess not watching the news is a good start. Who needs to watch all of this mess about how we're such a racist country. How we've had not weeks, not months, not years, not decades, but centuries of racism. I don't want to hear that garbage anymore and feel like pumping rounds into Comrad Deblasio's fat face. I want to be cool. I want to just watch "Harry Potter" or throw in "Hobo With A Shotgun" an all-time classic.

I suggest the same for everyone else, because this place really sucks lately. The insanity is going full tilt 24/7.
Truer words have never been said by you Mud, :D and I agree....

What I do, is only watch my Local news channel, if that....

I stopped watching the Washington Journal in the morning on cspan, stopped watching msnbc or cnn or Fox in the evening...

And I am a heck of a lot better for it, HOWEVER coming here and reading it all here causes agida/ (heartburn/a sour stomach) as well.

When Matt and I take vacations, we make certain it is a foreign country...though we did do Maui, Hawaii for 9 days and it was like a foreign country, never watched the news once, and on Football Sunday, where Matt just had to watch a key game, it was over before Noon due to the time difference!!!! So we had the whole rest of the day to snorkel... ;)

My wife and I cut the cable tv almost two years ago. All TV does is put you in a trance for the commercials.

Searching for, reading and watching news casts on the net, even the MSM sites, requires active participation and a more critical thought process.

I'd bet the looneys here are watching MSM 24/7.

Something else I just thought of. There was someone here who posted the outcome of the verdict for the officer in Ferguson recently. They posted it early in the evening on USMB yet the television news did not report the outcome of that jury hearing until about 8 or 9 p.m. at night. So those who read the news here on USMB about that verdict of no indictment had the news hours earlier than those who didn't read it on USMB. Something to consider.

I appreciate your putting up that thread, Bigrebnc1775. I copied your news report and I sent it to a friend of mine who is 93 yrs. old and his wife by way of my email. They said thank you for that news report because they appreciated knowing what the outcome was. I appreciate what you did in putting up that news report. Even though people gave you a hard time - you did a good thing. Thank you.

I appreciate your putting up that thread, Bigrebnc1775. I copied your news report and I sent it to a friend of mine who is 93 yrs. old and his wife by way of my email. They said thank you for that news report because they appreciated knowing what the outcome was. I appreciate what you did in putting up that news report. Even though people gave you a hard time - you did a good thing. Thank you.
I have my sources nation wide better than the news and more reliable

I have my sources nation wide better than the news and more reliable

Whatever your source was, I'm impressed. I watched the news carefully that night and I am quite certain not a single news channel had the information (or reported it at least) that you posted here on USMB. I believe many times the bloggers get the news first - I am thinking about an Israeli here who on more than one occasion has given USMB the news on a terrorist attack or bombings in Israel. She posts it just minutes after it happens. It does not get better than that. Imo. Another reason I like reading USMB.

I quit watching much of the news over a year ago. It's not really "news." In an hour long program you might get 3 or 4 minutes of actual reporting, news, the rest is OPINION. As soon as they say, "so now let's bring on our panel," I either turn the channel or shut the TV off. The last thing I need or want to hear is 55 minutes of partisan hacks GIVE THEIR OPINION, which you KNOW is going to simply be PARTY LINE BULL SHIT. Nope, sorry, all I want is the news, period, then STFU! I will form my OWN opinion, thank you. So now I get 99% of my news from the internet.

I quit watching much of the news over a year ago. It's not really "news." In an hour long program you might get 3 or 4 minutes of actual reporting, news, the rest is OPINION. As soon as they say, "so now let's bring on our panel," I either turn the channel or shut the TV off. The last thing I need or want to hear is 55 minutes of partisan hacks GIVE THEIR OPINION, which you KNOW is going to simply be PARTY LINE BULL SHIT. Nope, sorry, all I want is the news, period, then STFU! I will form my OWN opinion, thank you. So now I get 99% of my news from the internet.
If you want the news you might want to try the BBC.......BBC News - Home

People Magazine: Modern Art

Maybe art is too colloquialized. Everyone is walking around with a mobile phone with a built-in mini-camera in it, making the hiring of photographers a seemingly lost tradition of sentiment. People Magazine is really a symbol of modern age fascination with lifestyle-shopping.

Maybe Anime can save the day.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) is pretty much the only program I watch regularly on cable TV.

:afro:

People magazine - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

gotham.jpg

Media Mosque

When I was younger, I would sit in my living room doing homework after school while my mom would watch Action News (New Jersey/Philadelphia coverage) on TV after coming home from work. There would be various stories of vagrancy and street crime, and they were usually minor (since NJ and PA have had good governorship in the last 50 years), but I'd still wonder why my mom was interested in stories about crime patrolling (especially since she was not an active member of any community organization groups).

TV and media seems to offer the consumer/audience a form of 'choose-your-own adventure' experience. You can literally select anything you want from the menu of offered programs (entertainment, news, etc.).

This is good for capitalism, unless it creates a form of ADHD (Attention Deficit-Hyperactive Disorder)

:afro:

I watch my local news. They just report the news and don't inject their own opinions. I want to just hear the news straight up and make my OWN decisions about things. That is why I never watch cable news.

Forum List

Back