Twitter To Censor Trump Tweets Ahead Of 2020 Election

Would you like to see government control exerted over these companies? I think they need to be treated more like media platforms and regulated as such. You?

This is where Trumpsters and leftists are on the same page. And why we're so fucked.

So much for "free press", huh?

Yep. It's a good example of freedom of the press, and why we need to fight for it. Trumpsters would love to bully social media companies, but the Constitution gives these companies at least some protection. Ultimately though, the people will have to recognize the importance of our rights and fight for them.

Cognitive dissonance again. Shutting down opposing opinions is a way of freeing speech!

The dissonance is yours. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can use the government to force people to say what you want (or otherwise accommodate your ideas against their will). It means exactly the opposite. It means you CAN'T do that. Hopefully there's enough sanity left on the Court to recognize that vital fact.

No? Be careful here. Are you claiming that California’s PUC *doesnt* enforce quotas for speech on communications companies in their jurisdiction?
Should I post their page?
No. I don't know what PUC is. Nor do I care. Are you trying to make a point or respond in some way to my post?

You should have stopped at “I don’t know”. That sufficiently explains your programming.

Would you like to see government control exerted over these companies? I think they need to be treated more like media platforms and regulated as such. You?

This is where Trumpsters and leftists are on the same page. And why we're so fucked.

Price of fame...

Just wait...before you know it, whiney Trumpsters will be screaming for a return of the Fairness doctrine. :lol:

Yep. It's a good example of freedom of the press, and why we need to fight for it. Trumpsters would love to bully social media companies, but the Constitution gives these companies at least some protection. Ultimately though, the people will have to recognize the importance of our rights and fight for them.

Cognitive dissonance again. Shutting down opposing opinions is a way of freeing speech!

The dissonance is yours. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can use the government to force people to say what you want (or otherwise accommodate your ideas against their will). It means exactly the opposite. It means you CAN'T do that. Hopefully there's enough sanity left on the Court to recognize that vital fact.

No? Be careful here. Are you claiming that California’s PUC *doesnt* enforce quotas for speech on communications companies in their jurisdiction?
No. I don't know what PUC is. Nor do I care. Are you trying to make a point or respond in some way to my post?

You should have stopped at “I don’t know”. That sufficiently explains your programming.

How so? Wha is it you *think* you know about me? I bet you're wrong.

I know you professed ignorance on a subject you were previously pontificating on.

Corporate America always sides with their sugar daddies the Democrats.

I know you professed ignorance on a subject you were previously pontificating on.

I wasn't talking about California's PUC. That's your rambling.

Once again, freedom of speech doesn't mean you can use the government to force people to say what you want (or otherwise accommodate your ideas against their will). It means exactly the opposite. It means you CAN'T do that. Hopefully there's enough sanity left on the Court to recognize that vital fact

This is too much.... all I want to know.....what will be done about this?

When enough will be enough??

WHEN?:mad-61:

Private citizens are at liberty to cancel their Twitter accounts or otherwise not use the platform if they have a problem with this.

Of course, for the authoritarian right, “what will be done about this” means most conservatives would support the government forcing Twitter to accommodate rightwing hate speech, in violation of the First Amendment.

What do YOU think should be done about a private business doing something?
You mean like, say, if an apartment complex refused to rent to black people? Let me check.
Wrong.

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Conservatives advocating that government take punitive measures against private internet media in violation of the First Amendment has nothing to do with necessary, proper, and Constitutional public accommodations laws prohibiting rent discrimination.

What do YOU think should be done about a private business doing something?

Nothing. I don't think a Christian baker should be forced to bake a cake for a gay wedding if he finds is morally objectionable.

See how easy that was???
And another false comparison fallacy from the right.

The First Amendment prohibits government from dictating to private media entities how to edit their content and prohibits government from enacting punitive measures against private media because of how they edit their content.

Public accommodations laws prohibiting discrimination by businesses open to the general public are authorized by the Commerce Clause, having nothing whatsoever to do with the First Amendment, where public accommodations laws are perfectly appropriate and Constitutional.

Censor liberal tweets the same way? Would that be too much to ask?

Yes, how about let free speech reign?

There is no free speech on a private server. I just ask that if one person is censored that all be censored the same way.

Read the statement from Twitter, they are not doing it to one person only

True.. But they are doing this BECAUSE of one person.

And the stupid morons are taking this power trip in the exact WRONG direction.. See my post above...
Not true.

The Twitter statement says nothing about Trump; and the notion that Twitter is ‘targeting’ Trump is completely baseless.

Parler

That's all very good, but social media has to be regulated all the same.
No, it doesn’t.

That the right advocates for government regulation of social media is further proof of the authoritarianism common to most conservatives, that conservatives seek to compel conformity and punish dissent, and that conservatives support increasing the size and power of government at the expense of individual liberty.

Conservativism is indeed the real threat to our free and democratic society.

lol coyote dear....what's this? don't you know already?.....go find the answer all by your lonesome self ....ok? LOL:laugh:

The age of unregulated media must end.

Period.
So we should we need to regulate fox and Brietbart?

Who decides what to regulate?
No, Fox and Breitbart shouldn’t be regulated because they’re not mean to conservatives.

I wish there was some way one could forsake their Twitter account if you find their business practices not aligning with your principles. Whomever is forcing you to keep your account open and active should be held legally responsible.

I've never understood the attraction to Twitter. ...and have always thought Trump should avoid it

it's not only twitter....it's all social media....it's Google and search engines...it's that and much more

big tech tyrant communist age has to stop!

I know and it's the nature of the beast.

Idk what the answer is but something needs to change
start by rethinking what constitutes a monopoly in this age
Correct.

The notion that online social media constitute some sort of ‘monopoly’ is as ignorant as it is wrong.

The internet is virtually infinite – it cannot be ‘monopolized’; indeed, the internet is capable of equally accommodating all views and opinions.

This is nothing but a partisan temper-tantrum on the part of conservatives who incorrectly believe that conservative voices are being ‘censored’ by ‘liberal’ social media – when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

I agree with that! :clap2:

Time has come to regulate social media ...... remove section 230 protections, then we'll see what happens!:thup:
regulate them how?

Remove section 230 protections, for a start.
why?

Why should a social media that is selectively censoring content that SHOULD BE free speech get a SPECIAL FEDERAL protection against prosecution? If they are gonna over-moderate users that make them uncomfortable, they don't NEED legal immunity...

USMB can't get that deal... Why should Twitter?

Every media outlet selectively censors...how will you decide which ones get free speech protections and which ones don't?

As privately owned entities...do they have a right to decide what sort of messaging they allow on their platforms?
Yes.

And if private citizens don’t approve of that messaging, they’re at liberty to not participate.

It was the intent of the Framing Generation that private society regulate media content, not government.

regulate them how?

Remove section 230 protections, for a start.
why?

Why should a social media that is selectively censoring content that SHOULD BE free speech get a SPECIAL FEDERAL protection against prosecution? If they are gonna over-moderate users that make them uncomfortable, they don't NEED legal immunity...

USMB can't get that deal... Why should Twitter?

Every media outlet selectively censors...how will you decide which ones get free speech protections and which ones don't?

As privately owned entities...do they have a right to decide what sort of messaging they allow on their platforms?

They will not be private for much longer.
What’s disturbing is how conservatives are actually proud of their authoritarianism – in the age of Trump contempt for the Constitution, the rule of law, and our democratic institutions has become a badge of honor for conservatives.

Hey folks. You do understand that politics is not covered as protected speech?

All they know is the big tech companies don't like Trump, and they want government to clamp down on their political enemies. I'm not sure if they don't realize how dangerous this is, or just don't care.

Forum List

Back