Twitter To Censor Trump Tweets Ahead Of 2020 Election

Every media outlet selectively censors...how will you decide which ones get free speech protections and which ones don't?

We're not talking about "free speech protections".. We're talking about immunizing a media platform for content that THEY don't create.. So if some hot-head troll slanders or libels somebody or incites a crime on their platform, the plaintiff can't INCLUDE their deep pockets in a law suit... They would have to go after the member who created the content...

USMB immunizes itself with a legal disclaimer in the Terms and Conditions, but could STILL BE sued and closed for not enforcing the "other terms and conditions" that appear there.. Twitter and the other giants got a special deal...

It's almost completely the same as the VACCINE companies got from the Feds.. I'm not completely opposed to DOING THIS -- but if they discriminate by OPINIONS or political affiliations --- as a public accommodation, they should LOSE their Federal legal immunity for content prosecution...

regulate them how?

Remove section 230 protections, for a start.
why?

Why should a social media that is selectively censoring content that SHOULD BE free speech get a SPECIAL FEDERAL protection against prosecution? If they are gonna over-moderate users that make them uncomfortable, they don't NEED legal immunity...

USMB can't get that deal... Why should Twitter?

Every media outlet selectively censors...how will you decide which ones get free speech protections and which ones don't?

As privately owned entities...do they have a right to decide what sort of messaging they allow on their platforms?

They will not be private for much longer.
Really? Are you advocating a government take over of media?

We're not talking about "free speech protections".. We're talking about immunizing a media platform for content that THEY don't create.. So if some hot-head troll slanders or libels somebody or incites a crime on their platform, the plaintiff can't INCLUDE their deep pockets in a law suit... They would have to go after the member who created the content...

USMB immunizes itself with a legal disclaimer in the Terms and Conditions, but could STILL BE sued and closed for not enforcing the "other terms and conditions" that appear there.. Twitter and the other giants got a special deal...

It's almost completely the same as the VACCINE companies got from the Feds.. I'm not completely opposed to DOING THIS -- but if they discriminate by OPINIONS or political affiliations --- as a public accommodation, they should LOSE their Federal legal immunity for content prosecution...

so are you saying platform owners should be able to be sued for the content that appears on their platforms?

so are you saying platform owners should be able to be sued for the content that appears on their platforms?

It's hard to avoid getting sued.. It's a RISK of hosting social media.. Like I said there are ways within the existing civil law to minimize that exposure like USMB does.. But giving SOME COMPANIES COMPLETE immunity which others will never get by Congress -- is a freebie that should COME with some guarantees that free speech and uncomfortable opinion and a modicum of non-partisan bias should be guaranteed to the public...

If you WANT to become a PARTISAN echo chamber and you are uncomfortable with political opposition, just enforce that as a rule..

I've never understood the attraction to Twitter. ...and have always thought Trump should avoid it

it's not only twitter....it's all social media....it's Google and search engines...it's that and much more

big tech tyrant communist age has to stop!

I know and it's the nature of the beast.

Idk what the answer is but something needs to change
start by rethinking what constitutes a monopoly in this age

Let them monopolize but be across the board. If they can't then break them down.
monopolies stifle competition so that isn't good. It sounds like you are calling for some sort of "fairness doctrine" to be imposed on privately owned entities. Wouldn't opening the field to more competition be better?

Maybe. I do know I've noticed Google search is iffy. Used to what I was looking for was on the first page or so....now it's five or six pages back. That's concerning having to wade through what Google WANTS me to read

This is too much.... all I want to know.....what will be done about this?

When enough will be enough??

WHEN?:mad-61:

Orly? I wouldn't be buying any Twitter stock right about now. That's some biased BS right there, if I had my druthers, they'd be run out of America on a rail. Tar, feathers, and matches optional. To answer your question: Right now.

It's hard to avoid getting sued.. It's a RISK of hosting social media.. Like I said there are ways within the existing civil law to minimize that exposure like USMB does.. But giving SOME COMPANIES COMPLETE immunity which others will never get by Congress -- is a freebie that should COME with some guarantees that free speech and uncomfortable opinion and a modicum of non-partisan bias should be guaranteed to the public...

If you WANT to become a PARTISAN echo chamber and you are uncomfortable with political opposition, just enforce that as a rule..
well here is the issue...they do get sued...typically for content promoting hate, violence, terrorism, so they have a right to determine what content is appropriate. they are also privately owned. as long as their rules are clear about it.

what companies get complete immunity and what equivalent companies don't?

the real problem is there aren't really any equivalent companies.

it's not only twitter....it's all social media....it's Google and search engines...it's that and much more

big tech tyrant communist age has to stop!

I know and it's the nature of the beast.

Idk what the answer is but something needs to change
start by rethinking what constitutes a monopoly in this age

Let them monopolize but be across the board. If they can't then break them down.
monopolies stifle competition so that isn't good. It sounds like you are calling for some sort of "fairness doctrine" to be imposed on privately owned entities. Wouldn't opening the field to more competition be better?

Maybe. I do know I've noticed Google search is iffy. Used to what I was looking for was on the first page or so....now it's five or six pages back. That's concerning having to wade through what Google WANTS me to read
I have noticed the first pages are now full of ads and sponsored crap...nothing like the variety I used to a few years ago...it makes me very cynical.

What do YOU think should be done about a private business doing something?

They should be sued and fined for discrimination.
I thought twitter was for bird-brains, so I never went there. :lmao:

Twitter lays claim to being part of the press. I suppose it's the Democrat corporate press, but..whatever. :dunno:

When you squelch ideas, that's not free press. Reporting facts is what the free press is supposed to do. Mostly that's the history of the press in America up until the 90s (reporting facts), then something happened in the 90s..idk what.

Parler

That's all very good, but social media has to be regulated all the same.
Fk that , we don’t need government involvement

That's your opinion. I do not agree in this case.
Ain’t America great?

If they start exercising editorial control, yes.

They should be sued and fined for discrimination.
I thought twitter was for bird-brains, so I never went there. :lmao:

Twitter lays claim to being part of the press. I suppose it's the Democrat corporate press, but..whatever. :dunno:

When you squelch ideas, that's not free press. Reporting facts is what the free press is supposed to do. Mostly that's the history of the press in America up until the 90s (reporting facts), then something happened in the 90s..idk what.
^^^^^^^this^^^^^^

I wish there was some way one could forsake their Twitter account if you find their business practices not aligning with your principles. Whomever is forcing you to keep your account open and active should be held legally responsible.

I've never understood the attraction to Twitter. ...and have always thought Trump should avoid it

Don't you see the fun of trolling as a hobby when you're under that much pressure?? Washington is an outrage machine.. It's a natural marriage unless you're hobbled by speech writers and teleprompters.... I've only Tweeted once. When I locked myself out of USMB and needed to contact Admin..

But if I ever had an office in Washington, I'd troll a lot in my spare time... :113:

Exactly, with that much power I would do what Trump does, it would be a blast.

When they stop acting as a platform and more like a publisher, like exercising editorial control, maybe some of their congressional exemptions should go away.

The moment they do one modification to any one of the candidates tweets they will find themselves in federal court and an injunction keeping them from making any further alterations imposed. The Moment they take "editorial control" they then will lose the freedoms they have as a private provider. The FCC could shut them down totally for this as it violates their license to operate.

They are not altering anything, they are adding a warning about the content. They are well within their rights to do so
Wait...So you're saying they are actually treating the Oompa Loompa Oligarch differently than they are treating other people? Joe Blow would be banned, but for Doddering Donnie we get content warnings?

Forum List

Back