Two Ways to Help Stop Mass Shootings

1) ALL politicians should be barred from accepting donations from the NRA. At the national, state and local level. The reason we cannot get any common sense gun laws put into place is because too many politicians (Democrat and Republican, I hear) are beholden to the NRA.
2) Make it illegal to purchase or own any kind of assault rifle. They are not needed for home protection or hunting. They are only good for killing large numbers of people, really fast.

Our children are being killed in their classrooms. We must act now. They can't vote; they don't have a voice. WE MUST BE THEIR VOICE. PLEASE.
Define assault rifle. And no, "big, black and scary" doesn't cut it. I could halfway take you seriously if you included that no politician should be allowed to accept donations of any kind from any organization that advocates gun seizures.

Kids are dying for a lot of reasons. Like woke schools not working with local law enforcement to charge kids for threatening to shoot up a school, like the kid that shot up the Buffalo grocery. Or friends, parents, teachers not coordinating on kids with signs of potential violence.

A more REALISTIC gun law that WOULD get broad acceptance from Americans would be to raise the legal age for purchase to 21 for rifles with clips or magazines. No NEED to ban what you call "assault weapons". You couldn't even define what that is.

And the sad part is - when it's kids killing kids -- is that what I suggested is ONLY necessary because kids are stuck "in the MetaVerse" and dont grow up in real life anymore. Many haven't matured enough by 18 like it USED to be.
The problem with raising the age limit to purchase said firearms is this. Our military servicemen and women are trained to use far deadlier weapons at much younger ages. If they can be trusted with fully automatic weapons, why can we not trust them to buy rifles with clips and magazines? Think of it, a kid joins the army at 18, serves two years while using high powered, fully automatic weapons (possibly in a war zone where he shoots at humans), musters out at 20, then has to wait a year to purchase a simple bolt action .22 with a clip? I don't think so.

1) ALL politicians should be barred from accepting donations from the NRA. At the national, state and local level. The reason we cannot get any common sense gun laws put into place is because too many politicians (Democrat and Republican, I hear) are beholden to the NRA.
2) Make it illegal to purchase or own any kind of assault rifle. They are not needed for home protection or hunting. They are only good for killing large numbers of people, really fast.

Our children are being killed in their classrooms. We must act now. They can't vote; they don't have a voice. WE MUST BE THEIR VOICE. PLEASE.
Why do you demand that we NOT protect our children?

Which of these two rifles should be banned because they are more dangerous than the other?
i-7mb9sLB-M.jpg

i-jQDLXW4-M.jpg

And are used 1.1 million times a year to stop rapes, robberies, murders, savage beatings, stabbings and yes, even mass public shootings…..
This statistic seems very much exaggerated. It does not sound realistic. I will study in depth.

It's called PROBABILITIES.

-sigh- Will you guys ever get over your comparison of guns with cars? AT LEAST I HAVE TO REGISTER MY CAR.

It's called probabilities. I'm so surprised that none of you guys know anything about it. Well, actually, not really surprised.

LOL. There's no developed first would country with the levels of shootings and gun homicides of the USA.

We are miles above anyone else.

You guys just have NO CLUE.

There is no country without a police state that has our population number and our diversity...........

And our Great Society democrat program wiped out fatherhood in Black homes to the 75% rate of out of wedlock births, the leading cause of crime, violence and poverty.....

The European countries, after the destruction of World War 2 set their countries back by decades, are finally catching up....and they are increasing the damage by importing violent, 3rd world males who use violence, with guns, to enforce their drug business...

Definitely, guns are used in over 10,000 murders and over 20,000 suicides each year in USA. Between 1999 and 2016, 572,000 people in USA died by guns.

You have to go back and add that together...because the 10,000 number is the only one that counts....since it is crime, not suicide.....

So.....when the majority of those 10,000 deaths are criminals murdered by other criminals, in tiny areas of democrat party controlled cities, gun violence is not a problem for 95% of the American population........

Meanwhile, you left out the other side........where 1.1 million Americans stop the criminals released by the democrat party using their legal guns....

Then you leave out the 15 million disarmed Europeand murdered by their governments....

Which is bigger.....10,000 per year from 1999-2016.....17 years? OR 15 million in 6 years from 1939-1945?

Can you tell which number is bigger?

Can you explain why criminals murdering each other in democrat party cities should bother the other 95% of Americans?

This statistic seems very much exaggerated. It does not sound realistic. I will study in depth.

Here......this research should help...

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, no military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, no military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, no military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, no military)

2021 national firearm survey, Prof. William English, PhD. designed by Deborah Azrael of Harvard T. Chan School of public policy, and Mathew Miller, Northeastern university.......1.67 million defensive uses annually.

CDC...1996-1998... 1.1 million averaged over those years.( no cops, no military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, no military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, no military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops,no military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, no military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, no military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

2021 national firearms survey..

The survey was designed by Deborah Azrael of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and Matthew Miller of Northeastern University,

----
The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year. Handguns are the most common firearm employed for self-defense (used in 65.9% of defensive incidents), and in most defensive incidents (81.9%) no shot was fired. Approximately a quarter (25.2%) of defensive incidents occurred within the gun owner's home, and approximately half (53.9%) occurred outside their home, but on their property. About one out of ten (9.1%) defensive gun uses occurred in public, and about one out of twenty (4.8%) occurred at work.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3887145

There is no country without a police state that has our population number and our diversity...........

And that matters...why? Oh I know! It's a desperate attempt to ignore a discussion about GUNS.

NO ONE IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD HAS AS MANY GUNS IN THE HANDS OF REGULAR FOLKS AS WE DO.

And our Great Society democrat program wiped out fatherhood in Black homes

Oh give it a rest. I know you want to make this all about race and stuff, but it's about the guns. Not the scary black people you live in terror of.

to the 75% rate of out of wedlock births, the leading cause of crime, violence and poverty.....

How often do YOU vote to improve social safety nets? I bet "Not at all!" Because you don't actually care about the poor black fatherless families. They are another handy excuse to avoid talking about guns.

It's probably exaggerated.

Harvard Medical school says:

"We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence. We find that the claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens is invalid." (SOURCE)

"We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence. We find that the claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens is invalid." (SOURCE)

They lie.....

I gave you 18 studies........over decades.....

Their only evidence? "We say so..."

A home invasion can be prevented by having decent doors and windows and/or an alarm fitted for a fraction of the price of a firearm and ammunition. But then again if Americans choose to live in houses with insecure doors and windows...
What you call "home invasions" are so rare as to be discounted in the UK, we have perhaps one a year at most. Just like we have a mass shooting once every decade or so, unlike the USA which seems to have one a month at least.
Right. You're saying that if you can't afford doors, windows, alarms, and whatever else you believe will stop a determined home invader, then you'd better be good with your fists, or a club, or . . .

Exactly how rare do you believe home invasions are in the U.S. are?

Thank you! I have no formal data, but my intuition tells me that threatening a violent criminal who has nothing to lose is not a good idea. Guns are used in hunting, murder, and suicide.

Here......this research should help...

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, no military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, no military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, no military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, no military)

2021 national firearm survey, Prof. William English, PhD. designed by Deborah Azrael of Harvard T. Chan School of public policy, and Mathew Miller, Northeastern university.......1.67 million defensive uses annually.

CDC...1996-1998... 1.1 million averaged over those years.( no cops, no military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, no military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, no military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops,no military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, no military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, no military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

2021 national firearms survey..

The survey was designed by Deborah Azrael of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and Matthew Miller of Northeastern University,

----
The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year. Handguns are the most common firearm employed for self-defense (used in 65.9% of defensive incidents), and in most defensive incidents (81.9%) no shot was fired. Approximately a quarter (25.2%) of defensive incidents occurred within the gun owner's home, and approximately half (53.9%) occurred outside their home, but on their property. About one out of ten (9.1%) defensive gun uses occurred in public, and about one out of twenty (4.8%) occurred at work.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3887145
Thank you for all the sources, but other sources show gun self-defense is rare (Table, p.6).

Thank you! I have no formal data, but my intuition tells me that threatening a violent criminal who has nothing to lose is not a good idea. Guns are used in hunting, murder, and suicide.

A violent criminal has his life to lose......they are amazingly good at making that assessment.........especially when they can run from an armed victim and simply find another victim who isn't armed...

Forum List

Back