🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

UN-Privatize Baseball Now. PLEEEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect example of how clueless you are on this issue. "As if that means anything" ? :lol: You obviously don't know what millions of fans know. That of course it means something. It means that the players aren't being tossed around like a bunch of baseball cards. They stayed with one team, where their loyal fans could keep enjoying watching them and rooting for them. And it means that right when their team was in contention for a spot in the playoffs, that wasn't ruined by some money hustler making deals that significantly WEAKEN the team. And that guy is who you think should have the say about moving players around ? Sheeeeesh!!

You obviously don't know what you're talking about here.

I know that YOU talked about free agency as if it were part of the problem.

And yes, when you pay the salaries of the players, you get to decide which ones you want and which you want to trade.

Of course it's part of the problem, YesterdayBorn. And why repeat to me the current idiotic scenario of money-based baseball ? Sure, that's how it works. Exactly what we need to replace with something that absolutely does NOT work that way. Get it ?

So you think the fans should be able to decide, and ignore what the team owners and the actual players want?? Absolutely not.

After a certain time, a player should have control over where they play. Period.

Yesterday, I quit doing something that I have been doing for 60 years. I ceased to be a major league baseball fan. I started out as a kid rooting for the New York Yankees in the 1950s. After I moved to California in the late 70s, I became an Oakland As fan, and in the late 90s, I became a Tampa Bay Rays fan. But yesterday the private owners of the Rays caused me to drop the game of baseball from my life entirely, when they cut loose the Rays star pitcher, David Price, and his big salary, to Detroit, and pretended it was a trade. They got really nothing in return. In fact the 2 active players they got are more likely to hurt the Rays than help them.

The bottom line of this is that these guys (owners) are wrecking the game of baseball, that we fans have known and love and followed all our lives. And why ? Simple. Because to them, it isn't a game of baseball. It's a stock market. It's a profit and loss statement. A balance sheet, etc. These guys couldn't care less what happens to the team. They are looking at this from a MONEY perspective, period.

Older fans like myself remember the days back when it wasn't anything like this. There was no free agency for the players. Some of the greatest players ever to perform on a field (Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, etc.) played for one team only for 20 years. Teams were not revolving doors, where each year, fans wonder who their teams' players are.

In the case of the Rays, they are in a significant year. On June 10th, the team was 18 games under .500. Now they are right up in contention once again , and have the best record in baseball since June. Things are going great, and the fans are excited. And what happens ? Mr. Moneybags steps in and starts dismantling the foundations of the team (just to save money).

OK. He is a capitalist trying to make a profit. But the baseball team is much more than just his PROPERTY. It is a cultural entity in the area. The Rays are an institution in the Tampa bay area, and I'm sure it's the same with other teams in other places. What New York baseball fan my age will ever forget when the Giants and Dodgers left New York and went to the west coast ?.....leaving millions of fans heartbroken.

It is time to get baseball out of the hands of the moneychangers, and into the hands of the FANS, who care about baseball and its welfare. For the Rays (similar scenario for other teams), I suggest that they be bought by the 3 counties of Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Manatee, and that the Rays play 1/3 of their home games in each of those counties. It is critical to get baseball out of the hands of these dollar sharks, who probably don't know a curve ball, from a balk, from a sacrifice fly, ans are wrecking the game of professional baseball.

Nothing new.

Connie Mack did the same thing in the teens and the thirties of the last century.

Baseball has always been about the profit line.

The only issue for the players and owners was the fair share for the players.

Fans don't count in those matters.

Yesterday, I quit doing something that I have been doing for 60 years. I ceased to be a major league baseball fan. I started out as a kid rooting for the New York Yankees in the 1950s. After I moved to California in the late 70s, I became an Oakland As fan, and in the late 90s, I became a Tampa Bay Rays fan. But yesterday the private owners of the Rays caused me to drop the game of baseball from my life entirely, when they cut loose the Rays star pitcher, David Price, and his big salary, to Detroit, and pretended it was a trade. They got really nothing in return. In fact the 2 active players they got are more likely to hurt the Rays than help them.

The bottom line of this is that these guys (owners) are wrecking the game of baseball, that we fans have known and love and followed all our lives. And why ? Simple. Because to them, it isn't a game of baseball. It's a stock market. It's a profit and loss statement. A balance sheet, etc. These guys couldn't care less what happens to the team. They are looking at this from a MONEY perspective, period.

Older fans like myself remember the days back when it wasn't anything like this. There was no free agency for the players. Some of the greatest players ever to perform on a field (Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, etc.) played for one team only for 20 years. Teams were not revolving doors, where each year, fans wonder who their teams' players are.

In the case of the Rays, they are in a significant year. On June 10th, the team was 18 games under .500. Now they are right up in contention once again , and have the best record in baseball since June. Things are going great, and the fans are excited. And what happens ? Mr. Moneybags steps in and starts dismantling the foundations of the team (just to save money).

OK. He is a capitalist trying to make a profit. But the baseball team is much more than just his PROPERTY. It is a cultural entity in the area. The Rays are an institution in the Tampa bay area, and I'm sure it's the same with other teams in other places. What New York baseball fan my age will ever forget when the Giants and Dodgers left New York and went to the west coast ?.....leaving millions of fans heartbroken.

It is time to get baseball out of the hands of the moneychangers, and into the hands of the FANS, who care about baseball and its welfare. For the Rays (similar scenario for other teams), I suggest that they be bought by the 3 counties of Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Manatee, and that the Rays play 1/3 of their home games in each of those counties. It is critical to get baseball out of the hands of these dollar sharks, who probably don't know a curve ball, from a balk, from a sacrifice fly, ans are wrecking the game of professional baseball.

You should check out a movie called "Moneyball". It is a true story about how the Oakland A's came to terms with being a small market team. They used computerized formulas to try and obtain as much for their buck as possible.

As a result, the A's make the playoffs about every year now. Granted, they never do anything in the playoffs, and never will, but they have managed to at least make it interesting for the fans every year.

Make no mistake, another big money team will win the World Series this year, that is because they do every year. Baseball is simply broken.

So what should be done about it? The problem is, everyone is happy, except the fans. The players are happy because if they are good enough, they can play for the Yankees who will pay outrageous sums of money for them. The owners are happy because they alone decide whether they wish to compete for a world championship, or simply use the team as a means to make money. And the media is happy because big money teams come from big media markets. This means that only major cities will win World Championships, which equates to more money and interest for them.

Nothing new.

Connie Mack did the same thing in the teens and the thirties of the last century.

True, but with the advent of free agency and union pressure, the game has changed for the betterment of the players and the detriment of the fans.

Nothing new.

True, but with the advent of free agency and union pressure, the game has changed for the betterment of the players and the detriment of the fans.

It does not hold the mystique of the 1950s, yes.

Nothing new.

What does? I mean, the 50s were full of heros and giants. Now they are just people.

You don't go around posting off topic? lmao

Exactly what part of the topic involves my cigar? You mentioned that 2 or 3 times.

And yes, you should tell me what is unsafe about MLB. You claim the citizens of the USA are suffering "major harm". How can that not be a safety issue?

HA HA HA!! What an absolutely dumb question. Good lord. I actually feel a bit silly lowering myself to dignify it with a response.

EARTH TO YESTERDAYBORN: There are scores of ways of defining "harms", all having nothing to do with safety. Safety refers to physical injury harm to people.

Here's a few examples of major harm, not involving safety >>

1. being sued and losing

2. being burglarized and losing valuable things

3. having your home or car vandalized

4. illegal aliens taking millions of jobs in the US, while millions of Americans are unemployed

That's enough talking to you (too much in fact). I now turn my attention to other threads involving more serious matters (ISIS, Hamas, etc)

Funny that you can list all those harms, but you still have not defined anything in modern baseball that constitutes "major harm" to the citizens.

CORRECTION: I have not defined anything in modern baseball that constitutes "major harm" to the citizens, in your view, or at least what you say is your view. But whether it really is your view, or you just pretend that it is, is of minor significance.

Fact is, million of loyal baseball fans have been abandoned by the owner of the team, who has the power to weaken it, and has done just that, in 3 ways. That may not be major harm to you, but it's major harm to them, whether they keep rooting for the Rays or not.

And you can disagree with me. No problem. In fact, if you were agreeing with me, I'd feel a sense of discomfort, to the point of inducing me to take a second look at what I've been saying. Fortunately, you haven't been agreeing with me. That's rather comforting.

Last edited:
You know my angle?? LMAO!! My only angle is to call you on your lies and to ridicule your plan for the gov't to steal private property for your entertainment.

But you keep flailing around trying to find a point. So far, you have none. Yes, I get that you aren't happy with MLB. If that is the worst problem you have, your life must be some kinda cakewalk.

YOU KNOW what my point is, as I've been posting all through the thread in including my previous 2 posts right before this. I now call on you to show ONE single instance where I have lied about anything (and do it without lying). But even if you don't lie in this challenge I'm giving you, I might just look up some of your lies, and present them to you, if you would like that constructive criticism. At your service.

When Pogo posted "Hey, the packers did it", meaning having the fans buy the team, you posted:

"That's what I've been suggesting to him.". That was a lie. Since the beginning of the thread you have been calling for the gov't to take over baseball. That is most certainly NOT what the packers did, and you know it.

Sure it is. That Packers were taken over by the people. That's what the govt is (didn't you know ?) Govt of the people, by the people, for the people. The govt IS the people. The people ARE the govt (unless you're living in Syria)

I know that YOU talked about free agency as if it were part of the problem.

And yes, when you pay the salaries of the players, you get to decide which ones you want and which you want to trade.

Of course it's part of the problem, YesterdayBorn. And why repeat to me the current idiotic scenario of money-based baseball ? Sure, that's how it works. Exactly what we need to replace with something that absolutely does NOT work that way. Get it ?

So you think the fans should be able to decide, and ignore what the team owners and the actual players want?? Absolutely not.

After a certain time, a player should have control over where they play. Period.

HA HA. I've noticed you bring things up that I've never mentioned , and then start criticizing me about it. Well, you'll have to put your straw men back in the closet. I haven't said anything about ignoring what players want, YOU said that. In fact, the player named David Price did not want to leave the Rays. I'm quite sure about that. and yes, I think the fans should decide and the owners shouldn't even be the owners. especially when they don't support their own team, and make deals that harm the team, making it worse, and lessening its chances to get into the post season.
And yeah, players should have control over where they play. And now, they don't (like Price didn't have control over going to Detroit)

Nothing new.

Correct. And it has a power strata, with owners at the top, players in the middle, and fans at the bottom. And that gap between the owners and both the players and fans is widening as time goes by. Not good.

Nothing new.

Agreed. And much of that 1950s mystique was the heros who performed at top caliber, and fans could be relaxed that they (Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, etc) would be there for them all season long, in the post season, and next year, and the year after. Today's fans can't even expect to get into August with their top guy (ex. David Price)

So you want the gov't to step in and steal major league basebal teams from their rightful owners and give them to some sort of halfassed citizen consortium??

You want to cheat the team owners out of hundreds of millions of dollars, and take their property, against their will and by force, all because you don't like the way they are playing the game now??

I have seen some suggestions for temper tantrums, but this one takes the cake.

No, I'd like to see govt step in and TAKE BACK what MLB owners have stolen from the fans. The game of pro baseball. And where do you get off calling a citizen consortium "half-assed" ? What is "half-assed" is this whole mish-mash that baseball has turned into, by being run by baseball ignorant greed freaks.

Yes, I want to nationalize the leagues, I think you heard me right, but it's not because I "don't like the way they are playing the game now". YOU KNOW why. It's because they've made a shambles out of it, and everyone knows it.
And it's not a temper tantrum. It is form following function (as they used to tell us in college, remember ? :D)

You want to STEAL something from private citizens and give it to someone you think will bring it back to some "golden age" nonsense??

What makes you think you have a right to someone else's property?

The voices in his head!

I stopped following MLB twenty years ago.

Now I watch MiLB, Texas League, Springfield, Missouri Cardinals.

The games are better, the players have hustle, it's less expensive to see a game in person, and closer to boot (for me at least).

The ONLY down side in my case, is as some of my favorite minor league player move up to the majors, like Allen Craig, John Jay, Matt Adams and Matt Carpenter...I'm tempted to continue following their careers...but to date, I continue to fight it off.

Great post. Refreshing to see a post in here with exactly the right idea. I too went to minor league baseball about 20 years ago, when they had the MLB players strike. I lived in Pinellas County in the Tampa Bay area, and I went to some of the Dundein Blue Jays and Clearwater Phillies games back then. They were great. Everything was inexpensive and easy to do. Ticket prices, parking, concessions, etc, and you got to see a very fine ball game .

The minor league players play hard too. They're trying to make it to the majors. I honestly don't know why I ever went back to watching MLB. Since I'm no longer watching the Rays (or anything having to do with MLB), I'm going to return to the minor league fan base. I'm in Tampa now, so I guess I'll become a Tampa Yankees fan.

Thanks for the helpful reminder.

You forgot: because the minor league games pretty much suck. I can watch shitty baseball for free at the local high school! I'm 20 minutes away from one minor-league team A ball), an hour away from another (AA). It's pretty weak sauce.

There must be quite a few people who like the way MLB is going.

According to this: List of sports attendance figures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost 75 million people attended a game last year.

According to this link, baseball has the highest attendance numbers of any sport: Ranking sports? popularity: And the silver goes to... | The Economist

Not watching games on tv, but actually going out to the ball park and being there. So, apparently your opinion is not shared by a lot a MLB fans

1. Apparently my opinion certainly IS shared by a lot of Rays fans, and here's the evidence of it. There are many threads in this forum, but if you look through the forum, you will find hundreds of posts in agreement with me >>

Rays "fans" are the worst in baseball. They flat don't give a shit. Hell, they couldn't sell out Tropicana Field when they had a pennant-winning team! The only games they sell out are against Boston and New York...and that only because fans of the visiting team show up!

Hundreds of posts online against almost 75 million fans buying tickets and attending a game. lol

Now back to this "major harm" claim. I can see being disappointed. I can see not wanting to find a new hobby or new teams to watch. But neither of those two things are "major harm" by any stretch of the imagination.

Care to define the "major harm" the citizenry is experiencing? (I'm guessing you won't)

You have a curious habit of ignoring posts that have refuted your hollow "points".

1. Your fans buying tickets notion was vaporized in post # 80.

2. For every 1 fan writing a post in a message board, there's thousands more who think the same thing, and don't speak out.

3. You've been answered on this "harm" thing, amd you've been told you've been answered, yet you continue to pester me on it. Clearly, this is harrassment, and I guess I'll keep reporting it.

Why do you advocate the enslavement of athletes?

Because he is batshit insane and nuttier than a sack of cashews.

YOU KNOW what my point is, as I've been posting all through the thread in including my previous 2 posts right before this. I now call on you to show ONE single instance where I have lied about anything (and do it without lying). But even if you don't lie in this challenge I'm giving you, I might just look up some of your lies, and present them to you, if you would like that constructive criticism. At your service.

When Pogo posted "Hey, the packers did it", meaning having the fans buy the team, you posted:

"That's what I've been suggesting to him.". That was a lie. Since the beginning of the thread you have been calling for the gov't to take over baseball. That is most certainly NOT what the packers did, and you know it.

Sure it is. That Packers were taken over by the people. That's what the govt is (didn't you know ?) Govt of the people, by the people, for the people. The govt IS the people. The people ARE the govt (unless you're living in Syria)

OK, there are only three possibilities here:
Are you LYING?
Are you STUPID?
Or are you DELUSIONAL?

The Packers are the only private-public ownership in Major sports.

No legal justification exists to nationalize the league.

A city could make an outrageous offer to a team's ownership or try to use imminent domain, but I am not sure the latter is lega.

So now you are going to pretend that people buying shares in the team (and purchasing the team from the owner) is the same as the gov't taking the team away from the owner, without due compensation, whether the owner wants to sell or not??? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back