Understanding Religious Fanatics...

I think the word "fanatic" has been misappropriated here.

People are not fanatical because they believe ridiculous things because they haven't for one reason or another availed rhemsves of a completely rationall philosophical system.

In Europe it is boredom that drives people to religion.

Despair drives people in Europe on the streets to throw molotov cocktails and chop off the heads of monarchs. And other stuff like that.

There's not near the amount of religious fanatics in Europe.

Have you ever been to Spain or Poland?

No, but I am aware of their Holy week in Spain.

The Spanish religious right wing is probably the most fanatical political movememnt in Europe.

And one that might even pale some of the Cletus organisations in the US.

Thugs who used to kidnap children from left wing parents because they believed that they werent fit to raise children.

People who physicaly attack protestants and viciously promote a far right catholic doctrin that has been outdated for 200 years.

And more such bollocks.

I can't remember the documentary I was watching a few months ago, but it covered the Holy week. At first glance, I thought it was the KKK.

05c-holy-week-in-spain.jpg

:p

People are not fanatical because they believe ridiculous things because they haven't for one reason or another availed rhemsves of a completely rationall philosophical system.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -- Winston Churchill

:cool:

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -- Winston Churchill

I agree with Churchill (and Eric Hoffer in his seminal work on the fanatical state of mind "The True Believer") in his two conditions, the second being that "they can't change the subject."
To wit; a lot of atheists can't change the subject from complaining about the relligious

I agree with Churchill (and Eric Hoffer in his seminal work on the fanatical state of mind "The True Believer") in his two conditions, the second being that "they can't change the subject."
To wit; a lot of atheists can't change the subject from complaining about the relligious

I wouldn't consider this a complaint thread.

There are certain traits that religious fanatic share, especially Christians.

Irrationallity

Stubbornness

Not being able to answer a question directly

Obnoxious quoting and misquoting the Bible instead of actually answering a question

Regression into namecalling when backed into a corner with logic

American Religion Fanatics worship the CO2 Molecule and believe causes flood, droughts, earthquakes, lightning, forest fires, can melt lead and will destroy all life on Earth

Weird

Last edited:
"We're like a shattered peasant society. I mean, the last study I saw of it was done in around 1980, and the USA was at the level of Bangladesh, it was very close to Iran. Eighty percent of American's literally believe in religious miracles. Half the population thinks the world was created a couple of thousand years ago and that fossils were put here to mislead people or something---half the population. You just don't find things like that in other industrial societies!"

"Political scientist have tried to figure out why this aberration exists. It's one of the many respects in which the US is unusual, so you want to see if it's related to some of the others---and there are others... For instance, the US has an unusually weak labor movement, it has an unusually narrow political system. Think: there is no other industrialized Western country that doesn't have a labor-based political party, and we haven't had one since the Populist Party in the 1890s. So, we have a very depoliticized population, and that could be one cause of this phenomenon: if social and political life don't offer you opportunities to form communities and associate yourself with things that are meaningful to you, people look to for other ways to do it, and religion's an obvious one."

The above was written by Noam Chomsky, and he says we are off the charts for the amount of religious fanatics we have in this country, and I think it's getting worse. Although we have more atheist coming forward, helping others come forward, the fanatics are getting more fanatical. This is the first time that we don't have hope that our children will be better off financially, and there is more despair that things will not get better, for those living in the 2nd America. What Chomsky says makes a whole lot of sense, IMO. Despair drives people to religion.

"The above was written by Noam Chomsky, and he says we are off the charts for the amount of religious fanatics we have in this country,"

Why should what Noam Chomsky says matter to anyone? And what charts?

"We're like a shattered peasant society. I mean, the last study I saw of it was done in around 1980, and the USA was at the level of Bangladesh, it was very close to Iran. Eighty percent of American's literally believe in religious miracles. Half the population thinks the world was created a couple of thousand years ago and that fossils were put here to mislead people or something---half the population. You just don't find things like that in other industrial societies!"

"Political scientist have tried to figure out why this aberration exists. It's one of the many respects in which the US is unusual, so you want to see if it's related to some of the others---and there are others... For instance, the US has an unusually weak labor movement, it has an unusually narrow political system. Think: there is no other industrialized Western country that doesn't have a labor-based political party, and we haven't had one since the Populist Party in the 1890s. So, we have a very depoliticized population, and that could be one cause of this phenomenon: if social and political life don't offer you opportunities to form communities and associate yourself with things that are meaningful to you, people look to for other ways to do it, and religion's an obvious one."

The above was written by Noam Chomsky, and he says we are off the charts for the amount of religious fanatics we have in this country, and I think it's getting worse. Although we have more atheist coming forward, helping others come forward, the fanatics are getting more fanatical. This is the first time that we don't have hope that our children will be better off financially, and there is more despair that things will not get better, for those living in the 2nd America. What Chomsky says makes a whole lot of sense, IMO. Despair drives people to religion.

"The above was written by Noam Chomsky, and he says we are off the charts for the amount of religious fanatics we have in this country,"

Hell, I don't know what chart, and don't care. He says the last study he saw was in 1980. I suspect that there have been a growing number of atheists, and have read that church attendance is down, but we still have an awful lot of religious fanatics in the country, especially compared to other countries.

I know Chomsky is pretty dull, and I don't agree with him on some issues, but I think he did make one good point. The thing he pointed out that I agree with, is how we have a weak labor movement and a narrow political system. Without meaningful things to associate yourself with, an obvious choice is church. After all, we are social animals.

Hell, I don't know what chart, and don't care. He says the last study he saw was in 1980. I suspect that there have been a growing number of atheists, and have read that church attendance is down, but we still have an awful lot of religious fanatics in the country, especially compared to other countries.

I know Chomsky is pretty dull, and I don't agree with him on some issues, but I think he did make one good point. The thing he pointed out that I agree with, is how we have a weak labor movement and a narrow political system. Without meaningful things to associate yourself with, an obvious choice is church. After all, we are social animals.

You don't know what chart, but you started an entire thread on it? Let me guess, a 'fanatic' to you is anyone that believes in God and attends church?

What are his credentials outside of writing his opinions in books?

You don't know what chart, but you started an entire thread on it? Let me guess, a 'fanatic' to you is anyone that believes in God and attends church?

What are his credentials outside of writing his opinions in books?

Actually no. I don't think everyone who attends church is a fanatic.

If you'd like to see some actual studies, google it.

Forum List

Back