Unemployment down to 3.9%

Republican president and suddenly the liberals want to ignore the U3. We don't change the rules when the outcome is favorable to your opposition. If the numbers look "worse" for liberals, it's because there are more jobs than can be filled.

A) I am neither Dem nor Rep. I was knocking the numbers under Obama as well.

B) Trump himself has called the U-3 a 'Hoax' several times (rightly).

C) The U-3 is based on the Household Survey...and that only went up 3,000 last month.

So if you support the U-3 (against Trump's own advice), then you have to accept that only 3,000 jobs were created last month in the Household Survey.
The '164,000' number has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the unemployment rate.

My guess is that you have little idea what you are talking about on this and just get all bent out of shape when someone knocks fed numbers while Trump is in power...like Trumpbots do.
Obamabots did the same thing when he was in the WH.
Trump is right
The real unemployment rate is 52 percent

I do not know what it really is. But Trump IS right that the U-3 is a hoax. It is a ridiculous joke.

It isn’t a hoax. It is a formula. It provides the reader with data based on a set of criteria.

If the U3 rate was 10% five years ago and it is 5% today, we can infer that the employment situation has improved.

You may find the criteria used to be lacking. That’s fine. But the U3 serves as a data point just fine.

It serves as a data point to you just fine.

But as a measurement of unemployment...it is a joke. Plus, it makes everything seem MUCH better than it really is. Which is EXACTLY why Congress agreed to change it back in the 1990's. The employment-population ratio is a FAR better barometer.

Even the Fed has stopped using it as THE metric for employment.

You seem upset. As long as the formula used remains constant, good info can be gleaned from the data.

...Wage growth 2.6%, a little soft...
The reason wages may not seem what they used to be is because they're not. These days wages are heavily taxed so employees are much better off increasing other areas in total employee compensation (benefits etc.) that are not taxed as heavily--

eplycomp2018.png

--and now that the U.S. economy is finally getting back on its feet total comp is soaring:

Average Growth Employee Compensation

2009 to 2016: 1.9%

2017 to present: 2.8%

We just got a tax cut.

A) I am neither Dem nor Rep. I was knocking the numbers under Obama as well.

B) Trump himself has called the U-3 a 'Hoax' several times (rightly).

C) The U-3 is based on the Household Survey...and that only went up 3,000 last month.

So if you support the U-3 (against Trump's own advice), then you have to accept that only 3,000 jobs were created last month in the Household Survey.
The '164,000' number has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the unemployment rate.

My guess is that you have little idea what you are talking about on this and just get all bent out of shape when someone knocks fed numbers while Trump is in power...like Trumpbots do.
Obamabots did the same thing when he was in the WH.
Trump is right
The real unemployment rate is 52 percent

I do not know what it really is. But Trump IS right that the U-3 is a hoax. It is a ridiculous joke.

It isn’t a hoax. It is a formula. It provides the reader with data based on a set of criteria.

If the U3 rate was 10% five years ago and it is 5% today, we can infer that the employment situation has improved.

You may find the criteria used to be lacking. That’s fine. But the U3 serves as a data point just fine.

But as a measurement of unemployment...it is a joke. Plus, it makes everything seem MUCH better than it really is. Which is EXACTLY why Congress agreed to change it back in the 1990's. The employment-population ratio is a FAR better barometer.

You seem upset. As long as the formula used remains constant, good info can be gleaned from the data.

LOL...and you seem ignorant. How on Earth can one get upset in a chat forum?

Hey...you want to embrace the U-3? Go right ahead.

Go to Wall Street and tell those in the know about your love of the U-3...see how they react to your 'expertise'.

Well, since your mind is clearly closed about this...we are done here (as I try not to waste too much time on such types).

Good day.

No one has denied that the Obama economy, which Trump is riding, is good.

Trump is the election focus, no matter how much the GOP will try to sell differently.

The American electorate is now wise to the GOP/Alt Right Fake Alt Right Media (FARM) propaganda.
Progressive First Responder Jake Starkey reporting for duty, Sir!

At least Jammie-boi has quit calling itself a "mainstream Republican". Or maybe it just forgot.....

President Trump is the vessel of American hopes. it is to him that we all look for our salvation.

Perfect for paying down the debt, how is that going?
Default if I've ever seen it. The last refuge I guess.

Better find a safe space.

Sad to see such irresponsible spending.
Didn't bother you when Obama did it.

Losing sucks, eh?
Yes it did actually. That was during a recession. During a strong economy is as irresponsible as it gets.
You'll just have to get used to your icon's legacy being washed away. Obama was a castle of sand anyway.

Whining will make no difference.

Perfect for paying down the debt, how is that going?
Default if I've ever seen it. The last refuge I guess.

Better find a safe space.

Sad to see such irresponsible spending.
Didn't bother you when Obama did it.

Losing sucks, eh?
Yes it did actually. That was during a recession. During a strong economy is as irresponsible as it gets.
You'll just have to get used to your icon's legacy being washed away. Obama was a castle of sand anyway.

Whining will make no difference.

So you also pretended to be fiscally responsible. Got it,

why is it that no matter what good news we get from the economy, the loons have to make up thier own facts that its not what it seems,,,or its all Obamas credit

why is it that no matter what good news we get from the economy, the loons have to make up thier own facts that its not what it seems,,,or its all Obamas credit
Obama decreased unemployment and repubs claimed its all about participation rate. Well the participation rate isn’t any better, so what is the good news?

Aw, come on: I know the truth irks you, Dschrute3. I have been pleased with the economy since 2016. It's running fine until the unwise GOP policies once again bust it. And, once again, I will be in position to do well because of GOP greed.

The election, though, is a referendum on Trump and GOP foolish.

bullshit

But as a measurement of unemployment...it is a joke.
What are your specific objections and what exactly are you claiming makes it a hoax? I find it interesting that you haven’t said.

Plus, it makes everything seem MUCH better than it really is.
It is a measure of the percent of available labor that is not being used. That’s it. So what do you mean by “everything?”

Which is EXACTLY why Congress agreed to change it back in the 1990's. The employment-population ratio is a FAR better barometer.
Before 1994, a person who had benn hired and woul start work within the next 4 weeks was classified as unemployed even if there was no job search activity in the previous 4 weeks. That exception was removed and that was the ONLY change to the definition of unemployment. I rather doubt that had any effect on the rate.

The employment-population ratio measures the percent of the adult civilian non-institutional population. It is heavily affected by demographic changes, so I’m not sure what you think it’s a better barometer of.

Untrue. The Fed stopped setting unemployment goals, but the U-3 is still the rate they use.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back