Unemployment falls to 8.3%

They are flawed cooked fake numbers. They do not match up with how the economy is reacting.
You have no numbers, only unsubstantiated GOP propaganda.

We are at an impasse, I view the government numbers as skeptical because they have rapidly drop as we close to the 2012 election. You are skeptical of the source I posted because to you it seems like it GOP propaganda. But the truth is my source shows a better view of the economy than your source does in an election year.

The impasse is only in your head. You can't disprove the number, so you dismiss them. But since you are not an expert, you have dismissed the OP.

Retirees and disabled workers are also recorded as not in the labor force and they total over 1.37 million. So prove just how many of your 1.2 million were discouraged and not retired or disabled!!!

Not in the labor force (Current Population Survey)
Includes persons aged 16 years and older in the civilian noninstitutional population who are neither employed nor unemployed in accordance with the definitions contained in this glossary. Information is collected on their desire for and availability for work, job search activity in the prior year, and reasons for not currently searching. (See Marginally attached workers.)

Marginally attached workers (Current Population Survey)
Persons not in the labor force who want and are available for work, and who have looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months (or since the end of their last job if they held one within the past 12 months), but were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey. Discouraged workers are a subset of the marginally attached. (See Discouraged workers.)

BLS Glossary

I think you need to prove a retired person fits into the "not in the labor force" category. The definition seems to contradict you.
Proven! Now YOU prove that all the 1.2 million were discouraged and not retired or disabled.
How the Government Measures Unemployment
Who is not in the labor force?

Labor force measures are based on the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years old and over. Excluded are persons under 16 years of age, all persons confined to institutions such as nursing homes and prisons, and persons on active duty in the Armed Forces. As mentioned previously, the labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder—those who have no job and are not looking for one—are counted as "not in the labor force." Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force.

A retiring person is not discouraged in looking for work, they are leaving the workforce for retirement. Inserting retirees into this category would not make for very useful data.

Ed doesn't want to hear you. He wants to live in this dream that every bad thing is caused by the gop to get rid of obama. I say if obama wasn't such a little whinny bitch he would have maned up long ago and worked to fix the economy without stimulating his donors pockets.

A retiring person is not discouraged in looking for work, they are leaving the workforce for retirement. Inserting retirees into this category would not make for very useful data.
I never said a retiree was a discouraged worker, I only said they are not counted in the labor force, which you have just subconsciously admitted.
Thank you for your Freudian Slip.

It's amazing to me that we can rack up 35 pages of people claiming that retired people are part of the work force, people claiming unemployment insurance is the metric for unemployment, and the method of calculating unemployment was changed recently to suit Obama.

And best part, we can do it every.single.month. You clearly can't teach a rabid Obama hater new...well...You just can't teach 'em.

Retirees and disabled workers are also recorded as not in the labor force and they total over 1.37 million. So prove just how many of your 1.2 million were discouraged and not retired or disabled!!!

Includes persons aged 16 years and older in the civilian noninstitutional population who are neither employed nor unemployed in accordance with the definitions contained in this glossary. Information is collected on their desire for and availability for work, job search activity in the prior year, and reasons for not currently searching. (See Marginally attached workers.)

Persons not in the labor force who want and are available for work, and who have looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months (or since the end of their last job if they held one within the past 12 months), but were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey. Discouraged workers are a subset of the marginally attached. (See Discouraged workers.)

BLS Glossary

I think you need to prove a retired person fits into the "not in the labor force" category. The definition seems to contradict you.
Proven! Now YOU prove that all the 1.2 million were discouraged and not retired or disabled.

Labor force measures are based on the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years old and over. Excluded are persons under 16 years of age, all persons confined to institutions such as nursing homes and prisons, and persons on active duty in the Armed Forces. As mentioned previously, the labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder—those who have no job and are not looking for one—are counted as "not in the labor force." Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force.

When did all those baby boomers retire ed?

How Many Workers Are Postponing Retirement? Why?

Twenty percent of workers in the 2011 Retirement Confidence Survey (RCS) say the age at which they expect to retire has increased in the past year. Statistically, this is similar to the percentage indicating they were planning to postpone retirement in 2010 (24 percent).
The poor economy (36 percent) and a lack of faith in Social Security/government (16percent) are the most frequently cited reasons for postponing retirement, followed by changes in employment situation (15 percent) and can’t afford to retire (13 percent).
http://www.ebri.org/pdf/FFE.195.04Apr11.RCS-Delay.Final.pdf

According to a recent AARP survey of Baby Boomers, 40 percent of them plan to work "until they drop".

http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/press-center/info-12-2010/boomers_turning_65.html

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...er-retirement-crisis-that-will-blow-your-mind

Last edited:
It's amazing to me that we can rack up 35 pages of people claiming that retired people are part of the work force, people claiming unemployment insurance is the metric for unemployment, and the method of calculating unemployment was changed recently to suit Obama.

And best part, we can do it every.single.month. You clearly can't teach a rabid Obama hater new...well...You just can't teach 'em.

nor can you teach a rabid obama supporter what a fact is.

Republicans are now forced to rage against the cold Sun.

It's all they have left.

If 1 out of 4 are waiting to retire, how does that change the fact that 3 out of 4 are not waiting???

Ideation Insurance Group
Approximately 3 out of 4 Americans start claiming Social Security benefits the moment they are eligible at age 62.

Yep, and the average is now two years OLDER than what you said was a shringking age to retirement.
And Boomers turned 65 in 2011. I already showed that more workers retired or became disabled in 2011 than the 1.2 million who left the workforce in 2011 that CON$ claim left because they were discouraged. I want to see some numbers that prove that 1.2 million workers became discouraged in 2011.

If 1.2 million people left the work force as discouraged workers, we would see a statistical widening of the gap between the u1,u2,u3 and the u6.

For those keeping score at home with an honest scorecard, we have seen the opposite.

I never said a retiree was a discouraged worker, I only said they are not counted in the labor force, which you have just subconsciously admitted.

Not in the work force is for discouraged workers, which you claimed included retirees. I never claimed retirees were in the work force. If you just want to lie about things I can make a point of mentioning that in every post concerning you.

If 1.2 million people left the work force as discouraged workers, we would see a statistical widening of the gap between the u1,u2,u3 and the u6.

For those keeping score at home with an honest scorecard, we have seen the opposite.

The Census also ADDED 1.5 million people to the labor count in an offset 8537. The net effect was a 0.6% change in the unemployment rate. From 8.9% to 8.3%. I have consistently pointed out it was the Census Bureau that did this as a matter of course, not due to Obama.

BLS Glossary

When did all those baby boomers retire ed?

How Many Workers Are Postponing Retirement? Why?

Twenty percent of workers in the 2011 Retirement Confidence Survey (RCS) say the age at which they expect to retire has increased in the past year. Statistically, this is similar to the percentage indicating they were planning to postpone retirement in 2010 (24 percent).
The poor economy (36 percent) and a lack of faith in Social Security/government (16percent) are the most frequently cited reasons for postponing retirement, followed by changes in employment situation (15 percent) and can’t afford to retire (13 percent).
http://www.ebri.org/pdf/FFE.195.04Apr11.RCS-Delay.Final.pdf

According to a recent AARP survey of Baby Boomers, 40 percent of them plan to work "until they drop".

As First Baby Boomers Turn 65, They
None of that changes the fact that 1.37 million workers left the workforce in 2011 because of retirement or disability. That is a real number not a projection like your links, which still show no more than 1 in 4 delaying retirement.

Not in the work force is for discouraged workers, which you claimed included retirees. I never claimed retirees were in the work force. If you just want to lie about things I can make a point of mentioning that in every post concerning you.

5.5% of the workforce was a discourage worker in Jan 2011.

5.2% of the workforce is now discouraged.

There are about 65,000 more discourage workers now than there were in Jan 2011. Not 1.2M.

hwol.jpg

The Census also ADDED 1.5 million people to the labor count in an offset 8537. The net effect was a 0.6% change in the unemployment rate. From 8.9% to 8.3%. I have consistently pointed out it was the Census Bureau that did this as a matter of course, not due to Obama.
You may have pointed that out but who is the head of the Census department?

I think we agree here - the annual benchmark added to the labor count. They do it each January which makes certain labor force comparisons difficult.

There is no such "discouraged worker" limit to "not in the workforce" as I have already proven. Call me a liar all you want, you only damage YOUR credibility.

BLS Glossary

Marginally attached is a SUBSET of "Not in the Labor Force."
Not in the Labor Force simply means in the adult civilian non-institutional population but neither employed nor unemployed. SOME NitLF are marginally attached an some of the marginally attached (less than half) are discouraged.

There are 88,878,000 people not in the labor force. There are 2,809,000 marginally attached, and 1,059,000 of them are discouraged.

Last edited:

BLS Glossary

Marginally attached is a SUBSET of "Not in the Labor Force."Not in the Labor Force simply means in the adult civilian non-institutional population but neither employed nor unemployed. SOME NitLF are marginally attached an some of the marginally attached (less than half) are discouraged.

There are 88,878,000 people not in the labor force. There are 2,809,000 marginally attached, and 1,059,000 of them are discouraged.

No, the two BLS definitions are staring you right in the face. Discouraged is a subset of marginally attached.

Forum List

Back