Unions in the US

Unions in the US

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Union exploitation?

What, you mean better pay, benefits, and working conditions?

If that's exploitation, I'll take all they can give out.

How about no job and being stuck in Warren, MI with nothing but promises from the UAW and some old guy flying up from Florida to tell you how great he has it?

How are you going to take it other than up the keester? My neighbor is traveling and that's exactly what he's being paid to do, sell the "UAW" to the disaffected folks in Warren, Royal Oak, even as far away as Ypsilanti.

TRUE exploitation right here.

Ahh, one of those who wants the job to come to them. There are thousands of auto plants, get off the couch and get a job.

How about a job in an auto plant thats not union?

Union exploitation?

What, you mean better pay, benefits, and working conditions?

If that's exploitation, I'll take all they can give out.

How about no job and being stuck in Warren, MI with nothing but promises from the UAW and some old guy flying up from Florida to tell you how great he has it?

How are you going to take it other than up the keester? My neighbor is traveling and that's exactly what he's being paid to do, sell the "UAW" to the disaffected folks in Warren, Royal Oak, even as far away as Ypsilanti.

TRUE exploitation right here.

Ahh, one of those who wants the job to come to them. There are thousands of auto plants, get off the couch and get a job.

I have a job. Do keep up, my retired UAW neighbor is up in Michigan right now trying to sell the union message to people without a job - the people he says were too stupid to move.

But that there is significant, you agree with me. Go where the jobs are. Thanks!

Da Goose said:
The reason they had to combine resources is to fight the compaies in the political arena that are trying to turn back the clock on workers rights.

Funny, they didn't have to nationalize to get those rights in the first place. And there have been times government was much deeper in corporate pockets than they are today - as bad as it is now.

There were many instances in our history where the power of law enforcement and military was used to put down labor on behalf of management, and where both local and national politicians were outright "company men" and not ashamed to admit it. Yet most of the gains made were through sometimes networked or affiliated but independent local groups, not nationalized umbrella institutions with leadership almost completely divorced from the interests and goals of the members.

@ Daveman, why are the auto makers funding pensions out of current operating income? Shouldn't they have sequestered those funds while the retirees were active employees?

Back at some time in the long past unions were used to assure there was equitable power between owners and workers. That time is long past, of course.
Today there is not an industry traditionally dominated by unions that has not experienced stagnation and shrinkage. But even more, the need for unions to engage in collective bargaining is moribund, as workers are better educated and better informed.
Unions exist basically through a waiver in anti trust law. Is it not now time to repeal that waiver and outlaw unions as they have traditionally been constituted? This is especially so with public-sector unions, which seem to pose a direct financial threat to the entities they serve.

No. In my opinion, Unions are nothing more than organized crime and their demands on business is the reason why so much of the US business has left the country.

Interesting question. And I can understand the arguments on both sides.

But what I will say emphatically is that unions will absolutely become necessary again if they're ever done away with.

I've never been a union member.

But, I worked for a company for many years that had unions and every time the union got an increae of some kind, we so called "professional staffers" also got a bump.

So yes, I think unions are necessary and the threat of an organized workforce is the only thing that keeps unscrupulous employers in line.

Now more then ever.

Corporate executives have been involved in theft from the poor and middle classes for quite some time now. I can't, for the life of me, see how yearly compensation over 5 million dollars is justified while we have un-employment, benefits are being cut and there are people without health insurance.

Unions are weaker now then they were in 1940s..

I do more than one thing for employment, but one of those roles was unionized in 2007. Since then, wages for members has increased 30% and benefits have improved. There is still a role for unions because there is still a need for collective bargaining.

I do more than one thing for employment, but one of those roles was unionized in 2007. Since then, wages for members has increased 30% and benefits have improved. There is still a role for unions because there is still a need for collective bargaining.

And there is still a need for a strong and prosperous middle class which unions had a major role in creating.

And there is still a need for a strong and prosperous middle class which unions had a major role in creating.

^indeed.

Collective bargaining is a right. Individually, workers do not have the ability to effectively negotiate with management

Even non-union workers benefit from the threat of unionization

Back at some time in the long past unions were used to assure there was equitable power between owners and workers. That time is long past, of course.
Today there is not an industry traditionally dominated by unions that has not experienced stagnation and shrinkage. But even more, the need for unions to engage in collective bargaining is moribund, as workers are better educated and better informed.
Unions exist basically through a waiver in anti trust law. Is it not now time to repeal that waiver and outlaw unions as they have traditionally been constituted? This is especially so with public-sector unions, which seem to pose a direct financial threat to the entities they serve.

Necessary? yes, at least they were.

Out of control and destructive to the Industries they are in? Hell yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back