University of NC won't remove Confederate statue

Good...giving in to such ridiculousness only empowers the little Fascists...

from the link:
The Board of Governors at the University of North Carolina will not take up the question of what to do with a Confederate statue on the public university’s flagship campus.

“Silent Sam,” a bronze and marble statue erected in 1913, has been the focus of student protests and sit-ins over the past several years with vandalism of blood and red ink, costing the UNC-Chapel Hill campus $390,000 in security costs just for last year.

The new UNC board chairman, Harry Smith, announced Friday that neither UNC-Chapel Hill nor the UNC system has legal authority to relocate the statue in question. He cited a 2015 state law that bars moving historical monuments except in a few cases, despite growing pressure from students, faculty, and alumni, The News & Observer reported.

Activists who want to remove the monument say repeated vandalism is grounds for moving it under the law, but Smith said the board will not do anything without the North Carolina Historical Commission’s guidance.

“I would expect that we will have a conversation at the board with the president and follow the process,” Smith said after the board meeting. “At the end of the day, what I want to make sure of is that we’re not ignoring it, so that we’re just not having public comment sessions and then we’re moving on. We all have our views and opinions. I do believe that if we follow a healthy process, then we’ll always get to the right decision.”

UNC won’t act on statue of Confederate soldier target of repeated vandalism

Get ready for a snowflake meltdown and more violence,vandalism etc....

Okay the below in 5,4,3,2,1....:blowup:

crybullies_ben_garrison.jpg

from the link:
The Board of Governors at the University of North Carolina will not take up the question of what to do with a Confederate statue on the public university’s flagship campus.

“Silent Sam,” a bronze and marble statue erected in 1913, has been the focus of student protests and sit-ins over the past several years with vandalism of blood and red ink, costing the UNC-Chapel Hill campus $390,000 in security costs just for last year.

The new UNC board chairman, Harry Smith, announced Friday that neither UNC-Chapel Hill nor the UNC system has legal authority to relocate the statue in question. He cited a 2015 state law that bars moving historical monuments except in a few cases, despite growing pressure from students, faculty, and alumni, The News & Observer reported.

Activists who want to remove the monument say repeated vandalism is grounds for moving it under the law, but Smith said the board will not do anything without the North Carolina Historical Commission’s guidance.

“I would expect that we will have a conversation at the board with the president and follow the process,” Smith said after the board meeting. “At the end of the day, what I want to make sure of is that we’re not ignoring it, so that we’re just not having public comment sessions and then we’re moving on. We all have our views and opinions. I do believe that if we follow a healthy process, then we’ll always get to the right decision.”
The racists love it
It will stay

from the link:

The racists love it
It will stay
The leftists snowflakes like ISIS,Al Qaeda etc despise history they don't like and want it destroyed. Waaaaaa! State law BLOCKS you scum from TOUCHING IT!

from the link:

The racists love it
It will stay
The leftists snowflakes like ISIS,Al Qaeda etc despise history they don't like and want it destroyed. Waaaaaa! State law BLOCKS you scum from TOUCHING IT!

Racism dies hard

from the link:

The racists love it
It will stay

Racism dies hard
Good you admit you leftists are like Islamic terrorists.

from the link:

The racists love it
It will stay

Racism dies hard
Dies?? It thrives among democrats. Dems live off of segregation.

I'm afraid it's not that simple Oosie.

If you want to know what's going on here you need to know who "Silent Sam" is, and who put him there, and why. This monument and literally hundreds of others were feverishly put up in a flurry of revisionist history roughly 100 years ago by what we call the Cult of the Lost Cause. Settle in with your favourite beverage, it's story time with Pogo.

Immediately after the Civil War (1866, the following year) a writer named Edward Pollard wrote a revisionist history literally called that in its title, The Lost Cause: A New Southern History of the War of the Confederates. What Pollard was addressing was that the Confederacy, and by extension the South that had been dragged into it, was so shamed by the war for slavery it had just been vanquished in, a result it had never expected, that it couldn't come to terms with that hideous motivation, and had to literally rewrite the history, a fictional narrative where the genteel South really was the "noble" entity fighting off 'invasion', even imagining that its whole reasoning of secession, the continuance of Slavery, was really not its reasoning at all, that it was really about "states rights" and "economics" and anyway these here slaves were really happy and content to be human cattle.

Yeah that's it. Despite the fact that in the actual time, every seceding state had highlighted slavery as its reasoning in its articles of secession, despite the fact that Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens articulated in no uncertain terms on the very day the Civil War began:

>> "Many governments have been founded upon the principle of the subordination and serfdom of certain classes of the same race; such were and are in violation of the laws of nature. Our system commits no such violation of nature’s laws. With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place. He, by nature, or by the curse against Canaan, is fitted for that condition which he occupies in our system. The architect, in the construction of buildings, lays the foundation with the proper material — the granite; then comes the brick or the marble. The substratum of our society is made of the material fitted by nature for it, and by experience we know that it is best, not only for the superior, but for the inferior race, that it should be so." <<​

Not a damn thing in there about "economics" or "states rights". That was revised in later by the Lost Cause.

This brought about a wave of other literature, rewritten history books, and then a novel called "The Clansman" in 1905, a romantic and fictitious history of how the old Ku Klux Klan, at that time defunct for three decades, came in to defend the "honor" of the "noble" South. That book sold like wildfire, was then made into a play, and then a movie, title "Birth of a Nation" in 1915.

It also brought about the United Daughters of the Confederacy to erect a slew of statues and monuments and plaques to portray this horrific war into some kind of "noble" cause, the vast majority of them in the first two decades of the Twentieth Century, including Silent Sam in 1913. And these monuments were deliberately erected in public squares, busy intersections, in front of public buildings, and in this case a college campus, for the purpose of reaching the widest possible audience. In other words--- propaganda transmitters. Perched there on high to remind black people who was really in charge, after the federal government had mandated that "you people can't own negroes any more". It was the Confederacy desperately running away from and whitewashing its image.

--- This was the way the Confederacy retaliated against the forced end of slavery. Whitewashing itself and spitefully undermining the race relation challenges that would come with it. If they weren't going to be allowed slaves, then by God they were going to do everything they could to muddy the water that would follow, and, the philosophy goes, the federal government would 'regret' it. Along with these propaganda transmitters and Birth of a Nation this historical revision brought back the Klan (1915), Jim Crow laws and segregated water fountains and public facilities, brought the worst period of race riots this country has ever had ("Red Summer" 1919, Tulsa Race Riots 1921); rampant lynchings all over the nation; and arguably the "gentlemen's agreement" that kept blacks out of our national pastime sport of baseball for six decades between Moses Fleetwood Walker and Jackie Robinson. It gave us Gone With the Wind and the rewritten history books you see in that video above.

And it put Silent Sam where he is there, who's been a target of various kinds of vandalism for at least sixty years.

But wait. The plot sickens. That statue, the very one in this topic, which ironically was posed by a lad from that most Southern of cities, Boston Massachusetts --- was dedicated in 1913 with these words by Confederate veteran Julian Carr
>> "The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South -- When "the bottom rail was on top" all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence, the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern states -- Praise God. <<
Note the allusion to "the four years immediately succeeding the war". This is the exact period that the Ku Klux Klan and dozens of similar groups, usually founded/run by ex-Confederate soldiers, were doing what they could to normalize life in a war-torn occupied territory by terrorizing the black people that had until then been human property.
Carr's speech continues, without edit:

>> I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomatox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty night afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head. <<​

--- Again, that's at Silent Sam's dedication, from a veteran of that war, depicting what it was really about. And the UDC and their propaganda transmitters were doing everything they could to smooth that repugnance over and pave it into something "noble" and "gallant" (the aristocratic South had always been obsessed with illusions of "chivalry", right down to the self-styled "knights" of the Klan). Five months after this speech and a few hundred miles to the southwest, an opportunist named Simmons charged up a mountain in Georgia and re-founded the Ku Klux Klan all over again. And two years after that these same "Daughters" put up a plaque at the building where the original Klan was founded, again to whitewash and sell the 'nobility' song and dance.

So THAT is what Silent Sam stands for. That's where he came from and why he was put there. A propaganda transmitter. Tell me, would you put up a silly whiny-snowflake cartoon about this?

iu

Whelp --- same thing here.

Don't take my word for it. Here's the mayor of New Orleans explaining all this history on the occasion of that city removing several similar monuments (including one that celebrated the day a Klan klone organization called the White League orchestrated a coup d'etat to take over the city by force and return it to white rule)

Any questions?

I'm afraid it's not that simple Oosie.

If you want to know what's going on here you need to know who "Silent Sam" is, and who put him there, and why. This monument and literally hundreds of others were feverishly put up in a flurry of revisionist history roughly 100 years ago by what we call the Cult of the Lost Cause. Settle in with your favourite beverage, it's story time with Pogo.

Immediately after the Civil War (1866, the following year) a writer named Edward Pollard wrote a revisionist history literally called that in its title, The Lost Cause: A New Southern History of the War of the Confederates. What Pollard was addressing was that the Confederacy, and by extension the South that had been dragged into it, was so shamed by the war for slavery it had just been vanquished in, a result it had never expected, that it couldn't come to terms with that hideous motivation, and had to literally rewrite the history, a fictional narrative where the genteel South really was the "noble" entity fighting off 'invasion', even imagining that its whole reasoning of secession, the continuance of Slavery, was really not its reasoning at all, that it was really about "states rights" and "economics" and anyway these here slaves were really happy and content to be human cattle.

Yeah that's it. Despite the fact that in the actual time, every seceding state had highlighted slavery as its reasoning in its articles of secession, despite the fact that Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens articulated in no uncertain terms on the very day the Civil War began:

>> "Many governments have been founded upon the principle of the subordination and serfdom of certain classes of the same race; such were and are in violation of the laws of nature. Our system commits no such violation of nature’s laws. With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place. He, by nature, or by the curse against Canaan, is fitted for that condition which he occupies in our system. The architect, in the construction of buildings, lays the foundation with the proper material — the granite; then comes the brick or the marble. The substratum of our society is made of the material fitted by nature for it, and by experience we know that it is best, not only for the superior, but for the inferior race, that it should be so." <<​

Not a damn thing in there about "economics" or "states rights". That was revised in later by the Lost Cause.

This brought about a wave of other literature, rewritten history books, and then a novel called "The Clansman" in 1905, a romantic and fictitious history of how the old Ku Klux Klan, at that time defunct for three decades, came in to defend the "honor" of the "noble" South. That book sold like wildfire, was then made into a play, and then a movie, title "Birth of a Nation" in 1915.

It also brought about the United Daughters of the Confederacy to erect a slew of statues and monuments and plaques to portray this horrific war into some kind of "noble" cause, the vast majority of them in the first two decades of the Twentieth Century, including Silent Sam in 1913. And these monuments were deliberately erected in public squares, busy intersections, in front of public buildings, and in this case a college campus, for the purpose of reaching the widest possible audience. In other words--- propaganda transmitters. Perched there on high to remind black people who was really in charge, after the federal government had mandated that "you people can't own negroes any more". It was the Confederacy desperately running away from and whitewashing its image.

--- This was the way the Confederacy retaliated against the forced end of slavery. Whitewashing itself and spitefully undermining the race relation challenges that would come with it. If they weren't going to be allowed slaves, then by God they were going to do everything they could to muddy the water that would follow, and, the philosophy goes, the federal government would 'regret' it. Along with these propaganda transmitters and Birth of a Nation this historical revision brought back the Klan (1915), Jim Crow laws and segregated water fountains and public facilities, brought the worst period of race riots this country has ever had ("Red Summer" 1919, Tulsa Race Riots 1921); rampant lynchings all over the nation; and arguably the "gentlemen's agreement" that kept blacks out of our national pastime sport of baseball for six decades between Moses Fleetwood Walker and Jackie Robinson. It gave us Gone With the Wind and the rewritten history books you see in that video above.

And it put Silent Sam where he is there, who's been a target of various kinds of vandalism for at least sixty years.

But wait. The plot sickens. That statue, the very one in this topic, which ironically was posed by a lad from that most Southern of cities, Boston Massachusetts --- was dedicated in 1913 with these words by Confederate veteran Julian Carr
>> "The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South -- When "the bottom rail was on top" all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence, the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern states -- Praise God. <<
Note the allusion to "the four years immediately succeeding the war". This is the exact period that the Ku Klux Klan and dozens of similar groups, usually founded/run by ex-Confederate soldiers, were doing what they could to normalize life in a war-torn occupied territory by terrorizing the black people that had until then been human property.
Carr's speech continues, without edit:

>> I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomatox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty night afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head. <<​

--- Again, that's at Silent Sam's dedication, from a veteran of that war, depicting what it was really about. And the UDC and their propaganda transmitters were doing everything they could to smooth that repugnance over and pave it into something "noble" and "gallant" (the aristocratic South had always been obsessed with illusions of "chivalry", right down to the self-styled "knights" of the Klan). Five months after this speech and a few hundred miles to the southwest, an opportunist named Simmons charged up a mountain in Georgia and re-founded the Ku Klux Klan all over again. And two years after that these same "Daughters" put up a plaque at the building where the original Klan was founded, again to whitewash and sell the 'nobility' song and dance.

So THAT is what Silent Sam stands for. That's where he came from and why he was put there. A propaganda transmitter. Tell me, would you put up a silly whiny-snowflake cartoon about this?

iu

Whelp --- same thing here.

Don't take my word for it. Here's the mayor of New Orleans explaining all this history on the occasion of that city removing several similar monuments (including one that celebrated the day a Klan klone organization called the White League orchestrated a coup d'etat to take over the city by force and return it to white rule)

Any questions?

Thanks...now we understand the “purpose” of Silent Sam

Forum List

Back