University of NC won't remove Confederate statue

No, it is not.
It’s abject censorship.
It is not censorship. What an absurd thing to say.
It is censorship. Pure censorship, censoring history for nefarious reasons. And you’re a dupe.
Of course, it meets no definition censorship. In fact, it is precisely the opposite, as it is a decision by the government not to endorse the display of genocidal traitors.
Calling them that betrays your duped ignorance and illustrates the nefarious purpose of the censorship.

No, it is not.
It’s abject censorship.
It is not censorship. What an absurd thing to say.
It is censorship. Pure censorship, censoring history for nefarious reasons. And you’re a dupe.

Once again --- you can't "censor history" unless you literally revise the history books.

----- which is, once again, what this whole Lost Cause movement literally did; rewrote the history books. See my first video link from yesterday about the UDC. That would be the same UDC who put this statue up.

Now them there history revisions are getting undone. Don't like it? Tough shit, you're outvoted. Truth will out. Ain't nothing you can do about it.

Good...giving in to such ridiculousness only empowers the little Fascists...
They will tear it down in the dead of night, with masks on of course, and once they are done burning California to the ground, they will set the college on fire to punish them.

Cheeses Gracie --- looking at the new avatar .... you've aged. :ack-1:
lol. I will tire of it eventually and go back to being young and fantasy-like. :D

Good...giving in to such ridiculousness only empowers the little Fascists...
They will tear it down in the dead of night, with masks on of course, and once they are done burning California to the ground, they will set the college on fire to punish them.

Cheeses Gracie --- looking at the new avatar .... you've aged. :ack-1:
lol. I will tire of it eventually and go back to being young and fantasy-like. :D

Don't rush, I could get used to it. Kinda sexy. :adoreheart:

If nothing else is going to be removed, why should this statue have to go?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

A good number of statues and monuments and plaques etc have already been removed --- as in the three mentioned in my (second) video from New Orleans.

The first monument that city removed was actually removed twice ---- for most of its life the commemoration of the White League shooting its way into control of the city was marked by a prominent 35-foot-tall obelisk at the foot of Canal Street, the main thoroughfare of the city and the widest city street in the U.S. The insurrection was 1874 and the obelisk went up in 1891, and stood there for generations on the city's busiest street. An informational plaque was added in 1932 to make clear that the monument celebrated the triumph of white supremacy.

iu

Another mayor in the 1970s, the father of the mayor in my video, appended a disclaimer sign near it which read, "Although the ‘Battle of Liberty Place’ and this monument are important parts of New Orleans history, the sentiments in favor of white supremacy expressed thereon are contrary to the philosophy and beliefs of present-day New Orleans.” After it was temporarily moved for construction on Canal Street, David Duke came along and sued the city to put it back up. It did but moved it to a less obvious location and finally voted to remove it altogether only a year ago, Mayor Landrieu commenting "we will no longer allow the Confederacy to literally be put on a pedestal in the heart of our city." -- literally 152 years after the Confederacy surrendered. It sits today in a warehouse.

It must be comforting for the OP of this thread to know David Duke's behind him. Nothing like running with "very fine people". :thup:

Holly, here's a page from about a year ago that keeps something of a running list of monuments taken down coast to coast. They have 32 of them described on the page. I don't know what the total number is by now.

>> Before June 17, 2015, most Americans didn’t think much about the more than 700 Confederate monuments around the nation. And then Dylann Roof, a 21-year-old white supremacist, massacred nine black churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina. Roof’s actions, along with photos of him posing with the Confederate flag, led to a push to remove that symbol of white supremacy from public spaces across the South.

Soon, though, people began looking beyond the flag and focused their attention on statues and monuments to Confederate generals, soldiers, and battles, many of which were erected as Jim Crow flourished across the South and white leaders sought to re-cast the rebellious Confederacy as an honorable lot of freedom fighters and provide rallying points for the reascendent Ku Klux Klan. The summer of 2015 saw many debates about removing these statues, one of which led to a vote by the City Council in Charlottesville, Virginia, to remove a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee on horseback.

That decision led white-supremacist organizers to plan a rally in support of the statue. That rally happened last weekend. The irony of the Unite the Right protest, which saw violent clashes between neo-Nazis and counterprotesters, along with one murder, is that like the Charleston massacre, it has accelerated the removal of Confederate statues across the nation. By associating their rancid ideology with centuries-old memorials, the white supremacists have ensured that these monuments will come down. In the first five days after the rally alone, nearly ten Confederate monuments have fallen. Plenty more will follow. <<​
What do these people think is going to happen if these statues are not done away with? Do they think that the statues are going to come alive and eat them?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I used to think that every time that I saw this statue that was across the street from my grandmother's house, may she be with the Lord now. I was six years old back then.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

A good number of statues and monuments and plaques etc have already been removed --- as in the three mentioned in my (second) video from New Orleans.

The first monument that city removed was actually removed twice ---- for most of its life the commemoration of the White League shooting its way into control of the city was marked by a prominent 35-foot-tall obelisk at the foot of Canal Street, the main thoroughfare of the city and the widest city street in the U.S. The insurrection was 1874 and the obelisk went up in 1891, and stood there for generations on the city's busiest street. An informational plaque was added in 1932 to make clear that the monument celebrated the triumph of white supremacy.

iu

Another mayor in the 1970s, the father of the mayor in my video, appended a disclaimer sign near it which read, "Although the ‘Battle of Liberty Place’ and this monument are important parts of New Orleans history, the sentiments in favor of white supremacy expressed thereon are contrary to the philosophy and beliefs of present-day New Orleans.” After it was temporarily moved for construction on Canal Street, David Duke came along and sued the city to put it back up. It did but moved it to a less obvious location and finally voted to remove it altogether only a year ago, Mayor Landrieu commenting "we will no longer allow the Confederacy to literally be put on a pedestal in the heart of our city." -- literally 152 years after the Confederacy surrendered. It sits today in a warehouse.

It must be comforting for the OP of this thread to know David Duke's behind him. Nothing like running with "very fine people". :thup:

Holly, here's a page from about a year ago that keeps something of a running list of monuments taken down coast to coast. They have 32 of them described on the page. I don't know what the total number is by now.

>> Before June 17, 2015, most Americans didn’t think much about the more than 700 Confederate monuments around the nation. And then Dylann Roof, a 21-year-old white supremacist, massacred nine black churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina. Roof’s actions, along with photos of him posing with the Confederate flag, led to a push to remove that symbol of white supremacy from public spaces across the South.

Soon, though, people began looking beyond the flag and focused their attention on statues and monuments to Confederate generals, soldiers, and battles, many of which were erected as Jim Crow flourished across the South and white leaders sought to re-cast the rebellious Confederacy as an honorable lot of freedom fighters and provide rallying points for the reascendent Ku Klux Klan. The summer of 2015 saw many debates about removing these statues, one of which led to a vote by the City Council in Charlottesville, Virginia, to remove a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee on horseback.

That decision led white-supremacist organizers to plan a rally in support of the statue. That rally happened last weekend. The irony of the Unite the Right protest, which saw violent clashes between neo-Nazis and counterprotesters, along with one murder, is that like the Charleston massacre, it has accelerated the removal of Confederate statues across the nation. By associating their rancid ideology with centuries-old memorials, the white supremacists have ensured that these monuments will come down. In the first five days after the rally alone, nearly ten Confederate monuments have fallen. Plenty more will follow. <<​
What do these people think is going to happen if these statues are not done away with? Do they think that the statues are going to come alive and eat them?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I used to think that every time that I saw this statue that was across the street from my grandmother's house, may she be with the Lord now. I was six years old back then.

I put the entire answer to that, in detail, in post 17, yesterday. Nope, it's got nothing to do with eating.

Btw Holly aren't you in East Tennessee?

^^^ I am. May I ask why you are wanting to know?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Because East Tennessee had the marked distinction of being strongly against the idea of secession and going to war at all. As a hardscrabble agricultural area it had no interest in the rich lazy planter-class aristocrats who were pushing for secession and war. Your area despised that element. When the state held a referendum on the question of secession East Tennessee firmly said no, and would have seceded from Tennessee itself, like West Virginia did, if the presence of large numbers of Confederate troops hadn't prevented it.

Much like here on the other side of the mountains and elsewhere in Appalachia. The Civil War was as much about conflicts within the South as about conflicts between South and North. There was a definite class division of a privileged class ramming ahead with their own interests, at the expense of the lower working classes. And your people were on the right side of that divison, so you can be proud. :)

It's just interesting in the context here.

That privileged class that brought war was the same element that later tried to rewrite its whole history with that Lost Cause movement, and populated the UDC that ran around putting up all these monuments to do that.

^^^ If it makes any difference, I didn't come to the area until I was 14 years old.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I was raised just south of the Ohio river and I was born just outside Jacksonville, FL.

Then give a kid a book to read.
Can’t. Democrats burned them all.
Is that your excuse for not ever having read a book? Pretty lame.

And it's an odd excuse at that, given that it's the right wingers who historically burn books, and considering your constant whining about all those "elitist liberal" places called universities.
I was being figurative. It’s democrats who remove names and landmarks of history by applying today’s standards. That is book-burning.
Of course it isn't, what an absurd thing to say. And I am sure Germany has few statues of Hitler....boy that must really upset you! Or maybe you're just trying to eke out an overwrought point where there isn't one....
It is abject censorship. You endorse it like a good 1930’s nazi.
Says the fascist. That you have no point, Rosh, is the point. The U has every right, within the laws of the State, to decide what will be on campus and not. That is governance not censorship.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

iu

Yet another monument to racism

These monuments were erected to ensure negroes knew their place
Let negro's do as they please and the negro "family" now exists as no father present,crime is rampant,out of wedlock children are common place,drugs are common place,schools are jungles,once nice cities are war zones....great ideas to let them do things on their own. The negro race is not smart enough to handle its own affairs. They belong in zoos in Africa.
Thanks for your post

It demonstrates the mindset of why these monuments should be removed

UNC won’t act on statue of Confederate soldier target of repeated vandalism

Get ready for a snowflake meltdown and more violence,vandalism etc....
Time to end all of this Confederate statue bullshit. The Confederacy got their asses handed to them by Lincoln and Grant in the Civil War and their supporters today can't stand it. Just like Dumpf, they will never admit defeat and recognize the fact that their precious ancestors got the dog kicked out of them. Let the statues remain as a reminder to Southern defenders that they started a war they had no business starting and all they got out of it was a thorough ass kicking.

They would love to bring back their precious slavery, but guess what, ain't gonna happen, even with the rebel flag loving Dumpf in office.

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... sumbody gotta stand up fer history."
Then give a kid a book to read.

We send them to school for that.

And schools are removing history from the shelves, and from the campuses.

Actually that's exactly what Mildred Rutherford and her UDC did. Removed the history books from the shelves and rewrote new ones. They did more of that than they did running around putting up seven hundred monument propaganda transmitters. It's all there in my post from two days ago.

You would have loved Mildred Rutherford. Kind of the Ann Coulter of her time -- when she wasn't revising history into bullshit she was putting her energy into opposing the idea of her own gender getting political influence by having the vote. Even while she was personally spreading cultural influence into the schools to plant the seeds of racism. Kind of a flaming hypocrite.

Oh she lost that battle too, in 1920. Now she's getting her whole schoolbook revision thing dismantled.
'Bout frickin' TIME.

Can’t. Democrats burned them all.
Is that your excuse for not ever having read a book? Pretty lame.

And it's an odd excuse at that, given that it's the right wingers who historically burn books, and considering your constant whining about all those "elitist liberal" places called universities.
I was being figurative. It’s democrats who remove names and landmarks of history by applying today’s standards. That is book-burning.
Of course it isn't, what an absurd thing to say. And I am sure Germany has few statues of Hitler....boy that must really upset you! Or maybe you're just trying to eke out an overwrought point where there isn't one....
It is abject censorship. You endorse it like a good 1930’s nazi.
Says the fascist. That you have no point, Rosh, is the point. The U has every right, within the laws of the State, to decide what will be on campus and not. That is governance not censorship.

As noted before, it's the same kind of "censorship" this is:

iu

--- so you can kinda understand why it upsets them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

iu

Yet another monument to racism

These monuments were erected to ensure negroes knew their place
Let negro's do as they please and the negro "family" now exists as no father present,crime is rampant,out of wedlock children are common place,drugs are common place,schools are jungles,once nice cities are war zones....great ideas to let them do things on their own. The negro race is not smart enough to handle its own affairs. They belong in zoos in Africa.
Thanks for your post

It demonstrates the mindset of why these monuments should be removed

And more directly it demonstrates the mindset of who put them there, and with what message.

As my first video noted, when they start whining about "waaah, you're 'removing' history" ----- that's exactly what the history revisionists who put them there a hundred years ago wanted the Gullibles to say. Hard to believe they're still lining up to buy it long after these revisionists are in the ground with maggots and weevils eating out their eye sockets nibble nibble nibble.

That's some powerful gullibility rat there. Leni Riefenstahl is überjealous.

Pogo is good to see that disposing of Nazi and CSA statues and monuments are good things to do.

Forum List

Back