USA impotent against pirates ?

Yep, China and the Soviet Union had zero interest in Nam,
As I already told another poster, China was seeking to secure many of the same resources. Their ruling elite sought to secure its own place at the top of the food chain in anticipation of their competition with the ruling class in the capitalist West for dominance in the world theatre. Many on the other said were, like Gadfly, ultimately used as pawns of the ruling class.

You want truth? The truth is we went into Viet Nam to suppress the locals' attempts at self-determination when they tried to do as we did and break away from a colonial power. The motive was simple: fear of losing access to cheap resources and labour. It was an attempt to ensure the capitalists could continue to exploit the local population, pure and simple. And it was that very exploitation that made the communist movement attractive to so many in the first place. The entire Red Menace was a propaganda campaign based around the bourgeoisie's fear that they would lose profits as markets were lost and they were less able to exploit the world's poor and weak. You fought the rich man's war against your fellow human beings in order to secure their profit margin.

That's the reality of the situation when you boil it down to its true nature and strip it of the nationalist propaganda. It's a story that's been played out numerous times in history.

Out of curiosity what were they making in VeitNam that the cheap labor cons were exploiting?

Rubber, for one. It was also to serve as a foothold in the region as they pursued their interests with China and the region as a whole.

As I already told another poster, China was seeking to secure many of the same resources. Their ruling elite sought to secure its own place at the top of the food chain in anticipation of their competition with the ruling class in the capitalist West for dominance in the world theatre. Many on the other said were, like Gadfly, ultimately used as pawns of the ruling class.

that is just one perspective JB, yours, Mao's, Khrushchev's, .... starting to see a pattern???

There is something to be said for the perspective of fighting each war, using the tactic's of the war or war's before it, and the disadvantages of that. You would do well by reading "We Were Soldiers" by Joe Galloway. I bet you, it changes your perspective, maybe not your position, but your perspective for sure.

I agree. Why in the hell would someone want to sail near Somalia knowing good and well that there have been ALOT of pirate hijackings in the last several years. It's like hiking in the mountains of Afghanistan, or going on vacation in Iraq and then wondering why you were kidnapped. Common sense people! Common Sense!
I hope you not being serious. Somalia is right on route to the Suez Canal. Oil and other riggers need to go right near Somalia in the narrow passing to get through the Suez Canal! It's actually a perfect country for pirates. The only other option would be going ALL the way around Africa! That would be like going all the way around South America instead of taking the Panama Canal. Most shipping companies have no other choice but to pass right through Somalian Pirate infested waters!

somaliland-puntland-and-somalia

I'm not talking about oil and riggers....The last few hijackings have been on private yachts, not commercial tankers. Private individuals do have the choice to not fart around in those waters for leisure.

The private yacht hijackings make the headlines. The vast VAST majority of hijackings were commerical liners!

There is a lot of truth on all sides of this issue. As much as I hate to admit it, this is not BHO fault. We could sink anything that moves of the Somali coast outside their territorial limit until who or what ever is running the place get some control over the situation. Also quit calling them pirates like they are something glamorous. They are a bunch of punks and thugs with gun who are all cowards. You don't see them going after any ship with firepower. They love to attach a 5' sail boat full of bibles, that is what real men do.

It would seem that the need to protect Criminals by disarming Law Abiding Human Beings helps increase the Individual's and Society's dependency on Government, giving the Illusion of Safety and Justice, added to my the control of the Media, who is hell bent on letting you know how all of this is supposed to sit with you, how you should respond, to what degree, and for how long. ;)

that is just one perspective JB, yours, Mao's, Khrushchev's, .... starting to see a pattern???

Yes. You're an ignorant baffoon.

Let's see what that link says

Oh, it's regarding Bureaucratic collectivism

What's that? Oh it says it's actually a criticism of China. What's that? Those who put forward this criticism often 'believe that bureaucratic collectivism does not represent progress beyond capitalism—that is, that it is no closer to being a workers' state than a capitalist state would be, and is considerably less efficient. Someeven believe that certain kinds of capitalism, such as social democratic capitalism, are more progressive than a bureaucratic collectivist society.'

Who's this Max guy they mention? Read on and follow a few links and you'll end up here: Shachtmanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey, that 'social democratic' thing is mentioned again. What's it say?

Social democratic Shachtmanism, called "Right Shachtmanism" by detractors, later developed by Shachtman and espoused by the Social Democrats USA, holds Stalinist nations to be worse than Western capitalism

Hey look, 'social democratic; is a link now

let's click it

Social democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder whether this has ever come up before

jbeukema social democrat site:usmessageboard.com - Google Search

jbeukema social democracy site:usmessageboard.com - Google Search

Yachts were actually invented by Dutch traders who needed small, fast-moving ships to intercept attacking pirates. These small vessels could quickly maneuver around the larger ones and allow crews to take on pirates and fortify trading ships. They called the boats "jachts," from the German word "to hunt." Their purpose was simple: Go in, kick ass, kill pirates.

Read more: 6 Douchebag Luxury Goods Originally Invented to Help People | Cracked.com

Now there's one of those FACTOIDS that makes it worth it to come here.

FYI the people in the Yachts are still mostly pirates, only the respectable kind that can get away with it.

They're more like Privateers than pirates, I suppose.

YARRRRRRRRRRRR!

Yachts are such a symbol of wealth and privilege that Yachting magazine warned its subscribers about the risk of pirates targeting private yachts off the Somali coast. The targeting of yachts is a sad reversal of history, as there was a time when the yachts used to chase the pirates.
6 Douchebag Luxury Goods Originally Invented to Help People | Cracked.com

JB,
I swear, I believe you would argue with a concrete post, if you could get it to reply....and if you couldn't, I do believe you'd try to keep arguing with it until it crumbled, just so you could say you won.

So now we do nothing in the face of the rights of somali pirates
The USA dealt with pirates before why cant we do it now?

The First Barbary War (1801–1805), also known as the Barbary Coast War or the Tripolitan War, was the first of two wars fought between the United States of America and the North African Muslim states known collectively as the Barbary States. These were the independent Sultanate of Morocco and Tripoli, which was a quasi-independent entity nominally belonging to the Ottoman Empire.

Actually, I would offer the Somalian pirates US citizenship if they would harrass Mexican drug dealers on the Gulf. Lets give them a battleship, or at least a few PT Boats.:lol:

The First Barbary War (1801–1805), also known as the Barbary Coast War or the Tripolitan War, was the first of two wars fought between the United States of America and the North African Muslim states known collectively as the Barbary States. These were the independent Sultanate of Morocco and Tripoli, which was a quasi-independent entity nominally belonging to the Ottoman Empire.

I never wonder why in these type of situations, I always know why, all you have to do is look at Washington and the answer is right there in front of you sitting in the White House.

Actually, I would offer the Somalian pirates US citizenship if they would harrass Mexican drug dealers on the Gulf. Lets give them a battleship, or at least a few PT Boats.:lol:

The Pirates would end up helping the drug lords and then would use the battleships to smuggle even more Mexicans into America.

Obama was looking to strengthen Gadafy's military with US aid.

Yachts are such a symbol of wealth and privilege that Yachting magazine warned its subscribers about the risk of pirates targeting private yachts off the Somali coast. The targeting of yachts is a sad reversal of history, as there was a time when the yachts used to chase the pirates.

JB,
I swear, I believe you would argue with a concrete post, if you could get it to reply....and if you couldn't, I do believe you'd try to keep arguing with it until it crumbled, just so you could say you won.

He has certainly been interesting in this thread.
I have never seen a nihilist in action before.

JB,
and the concrete post would win

Forum List

Back