USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will soon be time to think of christmas presents. I find it harder every year to think of something new to buy my sister. I can't fob her off with another necklace or another bracelet.

You could get her memory cards or an external hard drive, a gift card from a local spa, an awesome jewelry box, a collection of fine wines (or whiskeys or beers...), a year's subscription to a satellite radio service, concert tickets, ...

Okay I've had this computer running Windows 8 or upgraded to 8.1 for well over a year now. And just recently it stopped playing Youtube or similar type videos--I get sound but no picture--just a green or gray screen. Why?

Because Windows IE for some weird reason isn't supporting Adobe Flash. I had to switch to the Firefox browser, which I don't like so much.

Okay I've had this computer running Windows 8 or upgraded to 8.1 for well over a year now. And just recently it stopped playing Youtube or similar type videos--I get sound but no picture--just a green or gray screen. Why?

Because Windows IE for some weird reason isn't supporting Adobe Flash. I had to switch to the Firefox browser, which I don't like so much.

IE eh? I hope you have some serious protection. I bet if you downloaded and installed Malwarebytes you'd find a boatload of PUP viruses infecting your computer and I'd hate to think what else.

Speaking of computers my 320 GB hard drive on the desktop is almost full, it's dual booted, so I ordered a 1 TB hard drive. I'll ghost the old drive onto the new drive, wipe the old drive and use it for storage until I do my new build then I'll use it as the primary in the old machine with a dedicated Linux Ubuntu OS.
The new one will run Ubuntu with StealthVM to run Win7 in. Or I might just dual boot it also, haven't decided yet. :thup:

What language are you "speaking"? I got "ghost", so this must be something scary.:eusa_doh:
It's called geekanese........
TB = Terabyte.
GB = Gigabyte.
OS = Operating system as in Mac(OS X), Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) or Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc)
Primary drive refers to the main hard drive if your computer has more than one.
New build = building a new computer.
StealthVM is a program that lets you run another operating system within a Linux OS (VM = Virtual Machine).
Ghosting is a backup or literal copy of part or some of one's OS and saved files as an "image". You can ghost your entire hard drive onto a new hard drive and not have to buy a new Windows OS or download a new Linux OS and load them on the new hard drive.
A computer with a dedicated OS (Operating System) means there is only one OS on the computer.
Dual booting = Two different OSs on one computer. The OS you want to use is chosen when the computer is booted up (powered on).

Will StealthVM let me boot Windows from Kubuntu on a dual boot machine without installing on a Linux partition?

What language are you "speaking"? I got "ghost", so this must be something scary.:eusa_doh:
TB = Terabyte.
GB = Gigabyte.
OS = Operating system as in Mac(OS X), Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) or Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc)
StealthVM is a program that lets you run another operating system within a Linux OS (VM = Virtual Machine).
Ghosting is a backup or literal copy of part or some of one's OS and saved files as an "image". You can ghost your entire hard drive onto a new hard drive and not have to buy a new Windows OS or download a new Linux OS and load them on the new hard drive.
A computer with a dedicated OS (Operating System) means there is only one OS on the computer.
Dual booting = Two different OSs on one computer. The OS you want to use is chosen when the computer is booted up (powered on).

Will StealthVM let me boot Windows from Kubuntu on a dual boot machine without installing on a Linux partition?

Don't you mean a windows partition? Usually, for VM software, a new partition is not necessary.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Ollie's daughter Angie and son Dirk,
Wake,
Sheila’s sore foot and friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Derideo_Te, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Noomi's impending oral surgery,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
BBD's friend Otis,
Sarah
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, Sunshine, and 007.

candle-flame-and-reflection.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
And the cycle of life continues....and that's good!

Good morning, everyone, Happy Thursday morning.

Today's celeb no. 1 drinking coffee:

post-102-0-91101900-1389882882.jpg

Believe it or not, that's Marilyn Monroe. I am not sure which film that is, but every attempt to make her somehow look not beautiful just simply failed...

For you "War of the Worlds" fans out there, this one is especially interesting:

post-102-0-93414400-1389882953.jpg

That's Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles and Marlene Dietrich.

I know of only one film where Welles directed and co-starred with his then wife, Rita Hayworth, and that was "The Lady from Shanghai":

Die%20Lady%20von%20Shanghai-Poster-web4.jpg

Whether this pic is from a coffee-break during filming, I don't know, could be. I don't think Marlene Dietrich was in the film.

Either way, it's a cool pic.

IE eh? I hope you have some serious protection. I bet if you downloaded and installed Malwarebytes you'd find a boatload of PUP viruses infecting your computer and I'd hate to think what else.

Aaand this is why I never use IE. Firefox is put together way better than Internet Exploiter (yeah I picked that one up from my dad). We're both computer geeks. We had to keep running AVG every week or so a long time ago, eventually the machine took a Trojan and we had to wipe the machine until we figured out it was IE. I will never touch IE again.

I remember another time when one of our machines wiped itself. It was running Red Hat Linux.... my father had to code the operating system from scratch, practically rebuilt it.

I did the Malwarebytes, but there wasn't anything there. I have AVG and Spybot too.

I use a shortcut for the cookies folder on my desktop so I can manually delete them as needed, plus I delete everything at the end of the day.

But Youtube still doesn't work right with IE.

Last edited:

I did the Malwarebytes, but there wasn't anything there. I have AVG and Spybot too.

I use a shortcut for the cookies folder on my desktop so I can manually delete them as needed, plus I delete everything at the end of the day.

But Youtube still doesn't work right with IE.

The problem may be with youtube itself.

If you are unsure, there are some precautions you can take:

completely clear out the cache, including tracking cookies and history.

Clean out the DNS cache:

How To Clear Your DNS Cache

Get on your knees and pray, real hard.

:)

And the cycle of life continues....and that's good!

Good morning, everyone, Happy Thursday morning.

Today's celeb no. 1 drinking coffee:

post-102-0-91101900-1389882882.jpg

Believe it or not, that's Marilyn Monroe. I am not sure which film that is, but every attempt to make her somehow look not beautiful just simply failed...

I am certain that scene is from the movie "How to Marry a Millionaire".

TB = Terabyte.
GB = Gigabyte.

I think I see what you're asking, though I now have "Who's on First" stuck in my head.......
All VM software runs inside whichever OS you chose to install it in then you install the OS you want inside the VM software. You could even run Windows within Windows or Linux within Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back