USMB Coffee Shop IV

How crappy is the place I live? We've decided to get rid of cable, the bill is just too damn high for the little we watch. I ordered a Roku from Amazon and a couple of regular bunny ears type antennas so we can still get regular broadcast channels for my football. Well, the stuff arrived today, but it turns out, thanks to our location and environment, we don't get a single broadcast signal using a regular indoor antenna. I don't know if getting a roof antenna would help or if there's any way to check. I can't go without football! :(
Try it........ ya might be amazed........ :D
I'm getting to the point where I could go without TV altogether, the wife on the other hand.......

Football helps keep me in touch with friends (I left all of my friends when I moved to GA from FL) through fantasy. :p

What Dajjal mentioned about the booster box rang a bell with me. I remember when all the TV stations went digital everybody utilizing free TV were installing those. Maybe that is your problem?

It's possible, but I don't know if it will help. I think I may just be in a terrible place to get signal. I'm not sure quite how far from the signal towers I am, but our house is also surrounded by trees on 3 sides and a hill on the 4th. I may not be able to get the regular TV signals here, which is going to make things difficult (and I'll need to send a few things I just bought back to Amazon).

Well again somebody knows how to solve your problem. I can't believe we are all captive to cable. How about just streaming the games on your computer?

How crappy is the place I live? We've decided to get rid of cable, the bill is just too damn high for the little we watch. I ordered a Roku from Amazon and a couple of regular bunny ears type antennas so we can still get regular broadcast channels for my football. Well, the stuff arrived today, but it turns out, thanks to our location and environment, we don't get a single broadcast signal using a regular indoor antenna. I don't know if getting a roof antenna would help or if there's any way to check. I can't go without football! :(
I'm getting to the point where I could go without TV altogether, the wife on the other hand.......

Football helps keep me in touch with friends (I left all of my friends when I moved to GA from FL) through fantasy. :p

What Dajjal mentioned about the booster box rang a bell with me. I remember when all the TV stations went digital everybody utilizing free TV were installing those. Maybe that is your problem?

It's possible, but I don't know if it will help. I think I may just be in a terrible place to get signal. I'm not sure quite how far from the signal towers I am, but our house is also surrounded by trees on 3 sides and a hill on the 4th. I may not be able to get the regular TV signals here, which is going to make things difficult (and I'll need to send a few things I just bought back to Amazon).

Well again somebody knows how to solve your problem. I can't believe we are all captive to cable. How about just streaming the games on your computer?

I actually looked at that, but unfortunately, most of the games can't be streamed legally, and the illicit sites for doing it are mostly crap. :p One of the networks lets you stream the games they broadcast live, but for Fox you have to have a cable or satellite subscription, same for NFL network. Dish Network or DirecTV, whichever does the NFL package, lets you buy it just for streaming, but only if their service is unavailable in your area, and we can get both here. There was a company called Aero, or something like that, which had been providing streaming access to over the air broadcasts, but the USSC apparently decided their service was more akin to cable than broadcast and they were unable to continue the service.

I'd have been willing to live with a somewhat crappy signal; I remember some channels being fuzzy in the past when I've only had broadcast using rabbit ears. That's not even an option, though. I don't even get a fuzzy signal, I get nothing. That may be something to do with the switch from analog to digital.

I'll try moving a TV upstairs at some point (we don't have a small tv to move or long enough coaxial cable to run downstairs) and see if I can get a signal with an antenna up there. Otherwise I guess it's either buy a signal booster and hope, buy a roof-mounted antenna and hope, or watch less football. :(

I actually looked at that, but unfortunately, most of the games can't be streamed legally, and the illicit sites for doing it are mostly crap. :p One of the networks lets you stream the games they broadcast live, but for Fox you have to have a cable or satellite subscription, same for NFL network. Dish Network or DirecTV, whichever does the NFL package, lets you buy it just for streaming, but only if their service is unavailable in your area, and we can get both here. There was a company called Aero, or something like that, which had been providing streaming access to over the air broadcasts, but the USSC apparently decided their service was more akin to cable than broadcast and they were unable to continue the service.

I'd have been willing to live with a somewhat crappy signal; I remember some channels being fuzzy in the past when I've only had broadcast using rabbit ears. That's not even an option, though. I don't even get a fuzzy signal, I get nothing. That may be something to do with the switch from analog to digital.

I'll try moving a TV upstairs at some point (we don't have a small tv to move or long enough coaxial cable to run downstairs) and see if I can get a signal with an antenna up there. Otherwise I guess it's either buy a signal booster and hope, buy a roof-mounted antenna and hope, or watch less football. :(

Yes, I guess all the live television I receive on my computer is via Comcast, so scrap that idea.

But there has to be a solution. I don't believe any problem doesn't have a solution. :)

Yes, I guess all the live television I receive on my computer is via Comcast, so scrap that idea.

But there has to be a solution. I don't believe any problem doesn't have a solution. :)

There's at least 2 solutions, they are just bad ones. :lol: Stick with cable/satellite, or don't watch live sports.

There's at least 2 solutions, they are just bad ones. :lol: Stick with cable/satellite, or don't watch live sports.

Naw, I think there's another one or two out there somewhere that will let you watch live sports at a price you are comfortable paying to do it.

By the way, did ya'll know that today, May 2, is the 10th anniversary of World Naked Gardening Day? I'm wondering who celebrated it?

naked-gardening-montage.jpg

World Naked Gardening Day Hulme Community Garden Centre volunteers really dig getting their kit off - Manchester Evening News

Do I understand that you haven't tried to pick up off-air TV since it went digital? Because the old rabbit ears will be pretty much useless now. Not entirely useless (better than nothing) but no longer designed for the job.

Antennas are finicky about being tuned for their frequency; when TV went from analog to digital, in order to do that it moved to an entirely different frequency band. That means antennas have to be completely redesigned. Also signals on those new frequencies, on the whole, don't carry as well as the ones they replaced.

But this invites a fun project you can tackle (<< football reference) with found objects around the home. I've had it on the back burner, just to see what might be out there (prolly not much out here in the sticks) but I never did put it together. But it looks very easy. And this should work at least as well as, if not better than, anything you can store-buy.

Do I understand that you haven't tried to pick up off-air TV since it went digital? Because the old rabbit ears will be pretty much useless now. Not entirely useless (better than nothing) but no longer designed for the job.

Antennas are finicky about being tuned for their frequency; when TV went from analog to digital, in order to do that it moved to an entirely different frequency band. That means antennas have to be completely redesigned. Also signals on those new frequencies, on the whole, don't carry as well as the ones they replaced.

But this invites a fun project you can tackle (<< football reference) with found objects around the home. I've had it on the back burner, just to see what might be out there (prolly not much out here in the sticks) but I never did put it together. But it looks very easy. And this should work at least as well as, if not better than, anything you can store-buy.

I just bought two different antennas a couple of days ago, I would hope they are made for the current signal. :) They are both sold as digital antennas, anyway.

I'd rather go buy a slightly more expensive antenna than try to build my own. :lol:

Good morning everybody. It is a good day in Albuquerque. Not so much at USMB. :(

I hope everybody is looking forward to a good Sunday though. We'll be off to the early church service in a bit and then to brunch.

Didn't go to bed until about 1:30 this morning after trying to go bed at 10:30, was too warm so I turned the swamp cooler on until I went back to bed. We took a road trip up to Alamogordo yesterday to do some thrift shopping and for the wife to have a drive, get away and relax.
Wash day today...... laundry, not time for my monthly shower.......... :eusa_whistle:
Gotta work on getting more done around the house today, one of the challenges is all the windows are filthy they're original with antique storm windows over them and they don't come out easily or at all without taking the storms off, In the kitchen someone had tiled the inset around the window, can't pull that one at all...... yet.

Good morning everybody. It is a good day in Albuquerque. Not so much at USMB. :(

I hope everybody is looking forward to a good Sunday though. We'll be off to the early church service in a bit and then to brunch.
????

It just hasn't been a good time for me here lately, Ernie. I am realistic that everybody has a bad patch now and then and I keep thinking/hoping that, as it has in the past, this too shall pass. Just waiting for the sun to come out again, that's all. But thanks for caring. Mama Fox ((hugs)).

For our resident bikers:

On the first Sunday in May:

transparent.gif
-8d8dfbc56db8c642.jpg

transparent.gif

". . .For some, getting out on the open road with their cycle is a spiritual experience. On Motorcycle Mass & Blessing of the Bikes Day, this connection becomes even deeper as riders gather for a special mass to have their bikes blessed. Coincidentally, motorcyclist even have their very own Patron Saint, St. Columbanus of Bobbio. St. Columbanus lived from 540-615AD was known for being rugged, handsome, and being irresistible to women; not to mention having a liking for beer. In fact, it is said that one of his miracles involved creating more bread and beer for a gathering. Sounds like a good match for Patron Saint. . ."

Has BBD checked in lately??

:) He stops by once in a blue moon these days. He hates the new software that has caused so many of our regular Coffee Shoppers to leave, but he couldn't stay away entirely. Hopefully he'll return to entertain us like he used to.

????

It just hasn't been a good time for me here lately, Ernie. I am realistic that everybody has a bad patch now and then and I keep thinking/hoping that, as it has in the past, this too shall pass. Just waiting for the sun to come out again, that's all. But thanks for caring. Mama Fox ((hugs)).

Look, Foxy..... there it is...

95A38378-A64F-45D5-B2FD-6921379A8051.jpg

:smiliehug:

Forum List

Back