USMB Coffee Shop IV

I was in Manchester (Bramhall) with afternoon traffic. It seemed as if everyone else had unlimited confidence. I am not easily intimidated but I was way out of my comfort zone.

Reminds me of my first driving lesson in a car. I still did not know how to change gear properly and I found myself on a busy main road. In my experience new drivers should have somewhere off road to practice in before ending up in heavy traffic.

I was in my mid 40's and had been driving anything with wheels for 30 some years. Gear shifting was never a problem. Hell! I can drive a Mack Quadraplex (20 speed with 2 levers) while plowing snow, but English drivers terrified me.

Good morning everybody. I was up before 7 a.m., felt terrible, looked at the clock, went back to bed for three more hours, and now all is well. Looking forward to a good day. Hope everybody else is too.
Went to bed late and up early, thankfully because neither the wife or I set the alarm. Made a foray to the Texas tax department (not the DMV) for vehicle registration and plates, that set me back over $420, had to go by the wifes office to get the tag number and odometer reading off her Prius then head back the other direction for the tax office.......
It didn't take long, I ran a couple of more errands then laid down........ for 5 hours........ just got up about 20 minutes ago.

Good morning everybody. I was up before 7 a.m., felt terrible, looked at the clock, went back to bed for three more hours, and now all is well. Looking forward to a good day. Hope everybody else is too.
Went to bed late and up early, thankfully because neither the wife or I set the alarm. Made a foray to the Texas tax department (not the DMV) for vehicle registration and plates, that set me back over $420, had to go by the wifes office to get the tag number and odometer reading off her Prius then head back the other direction for the tax office.......
It didn't take long, I ran a couple of more errands then laid down........ for 5 hours........ just got up about 20 minutes ago.

Wow, that is a pretty hefty registration fee. That must be how Texas keeps some of its other taxes really low?

Wow, that is a pretty hefty registration fee. That must be how Texas keeps some of its other taxes really low?
Registration plus fees plus tax on the vehicle. Ya want vanity plates? That's handled by an independent company, $150 for one year....... I was wondering why the vast majority of vehicles I saw with Texas plates had the basic black and white ones.
No state income tax so they nail ya every other way they can.

19424_10204137979345766_1761934367475793799_n.jpg

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

Tampa_SBT.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Why anyone would call that a Smart Car is beyond my comprehension.

People have been telling me that Foley needs a bar to host a bike night. I, being motorcyclically inclined, decided Doc Holliday's should be the place. One group suggested Thursday and the wife decided that Thursday id bike night at Doc's without considering that Thursday WAS my only day off.
Last Thursday was the kick off. It was not as big as we'd hoped, (8 motorcycles and a couple hundred in additional receipts) but enough to justify another try. Tonight was about75 or 80% better. 14 motorsickles at the peak and a great take at the bar for a week night.
Everyone had a good time and no drama.
I left with 3 other bikes at 11:30 and we went for a short cruise, then stopped for breakfast at Waffle House.
I guess I gotta decide on another day to take off.

Slept in this morning, felt good. :thup:
Last night I got the back of the house (and the kitchen) swept up and mopped, today I do the front of the house.
Today's gonna be up in the low 90s, might have to kick on the swamp cooler later this afternoon. Still walking gingerly on my right ankle, it gets pretty sore by mid afternoon.

The Smart car has demanded a rematch with the squirrel...

...squirrel is holding out for pay-for-view royalites.

Good morning everybody.

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Tomorrow will be the fifth anniversary of the inception of the Coffee Shop. I'll post the stats in the morning, but after a discussion with C_K, I have requested that the Coffee Shop be unstickied so we will be more visible to newbies and won't have the taint of 'favoritism'.

But this also means that we who appreciate and have enjoyed the Coffee Shop need to keep it active--be sure to stop by and say hi or we will sink into oblivion. If that happens, so be it. We've had a great run. But I sure hope it doesn't because of what we have had here.

The Smart car has demanded a rematch with the squirrel...

...squirrel is holding out for pay-for-view royalites.

Currently I am accessing USMB on AOL that allows advertising to appear, some splatted right in the middle of our posts. I had to giggle when I looked at this post of yours and saw that the ad that appeared within it was for a flea and tick collar for cats. :)

maypole.jpg

HAPPY MAY DAY!!!!
As a gradeschooler long, long ago, every May Day all the kids got to skip and dance around the May Pole weaving in and out to decorate it with colorful streamers. The task completed, we then reversed the process to unwind the pole and make it ready for the next group of kids to have the fun.

. . .for centuries, many cultures have celebrated May Day as the first day of summer, even though May 1 comes near the start of spring. It’s a time for saying goodbye to the long, cold winter and welcoming warmer weather by gathering flowers, singing, dancing and, well, flirting.

Early celebrations such as Beltane in ancient Ireland and Scotland and the festival of Floralia in Rome were intended to improve crop growth and to help livestock produce more offspring. Later they became occasions for people to get together and have fun in the sun.

May Day traditions include the crowning of a May queen (and sometimes a king) to oversee the day’s activities. Children and grown-ups might fill May baskets with candy or flowers and secretly leave them on neighbors’ porches. People were told that if they went outside early on May 1 and washed their face with dew, their skin would be more beautiful.

Probably the best-known May Day activity is the maypole dance. In olden days, people would dance around a pole cut from a birch tree, holding the end of a ribbon or streamer in their hand. The other end of the ribbon was attached to the top of the pole, and dancers moving in patterns around the pole wove the ribbons into colorful designs. That festivity continues in some places in Europe and the United States, though the pole usually comes from not from a live tree but from the hardware store.
What is May Day all about - The Washington Post

The wife took off early, sorta. Took her to the east clinic then we did some shopping...... traffic was a really heavy Friday afternoon mess. Stopped and got dinner, waited for traffic to die down some then went home. Got up to 95 degrees today, the sun just went down and it's still in the 80s, we just opened up the house and have all the fans running.

Forum List

Back