USMB Coffee Shop IV

By the way the quip I made about needing to buy sandbags because of the monsoons was a pointed joke. They do get monsoons here in the desert and it appears El Paso never put drainage in so the roads literally become rivers, if you're house is in the wrong location........ :dunno:

We don't really have those issues normally here in the northeast. I think we are prepared for just about any kind of weather. :lol: You know the saying, "if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute, it'll change" coined by Mark Twain is true!

By the way the quip I made about needing to buy sandbags because of the monsoons was a pointed joke. They do get monsoons here in the desert and it appears El Paso never put drainage in so the roads literally become rivers, if you're house is in the wrong location........ :dunno:

Here the sand bags don't help that much unless you keep them in place year round. The occasional frog strangler that causes those kinds of problems develop and come so fast there is no time to prepare. The water comes up very fast--no time to prepare for that either. When the rain stops, the flash flood goes down just as fast. Somehow our back yard is configured that a small lake always develops in a heavy rain and, if it continue long enough, it comes into our enclosed back porch--about 3 - 4 inches deep - never gets any higher than that so it doesn't ever get into the main house. And it goes down in minutes once the rain stops.

Rained 6 inches at least since the other night in LA...........lower Alabama............I've had to let water out of the pool twice.............
You in LA??? Foley, here.
Looks like most of the rain went North of you..........We just got done with the big patch of red here........More coming.............lol

I have relations there in Foley........Wife's Aunt...........lives there...........Others in Robertsdale............

Darn, all the good ones are married! :p

That's why I'm permanently single. :badgrin:

Here the sand bags don't help that much unless you keep them in place year round. The occasional frog strangler that causes those kinds of problems develop and come so fast there is no time to prepare. The water comes up very fast--no time to prepare for that either. When the rain stops, the flash flood goes down just as fast. Somehow our back yard is configured that a small lake always develops in a heavy rain and, if it continue long enough, it comes into our enclosed back porch--about 3 - 4 inches deep - never gets any higher than that so it doesn't ever get into the main house. And it goes down in minutes once the rain stops.
Oh, I'm ready for it.

wink-jones-high-performance-diamonds-kayak1.jpg

Thought I was gonna get a ticket for speeding though........

Like I said not much sleep and the allergen count is high today. The house is a mess and I don't care. Or was that Jimmy crack corn and I don't care? :dunno:

Whew! So long since I've been visiting in the CS. Life has moved on for you all, as well as for me.
It's been over 2 weeks since the semester ended but I've been swamped with postponed projects and a couple of bouts of exhaustion and stomach flu. My partner got another job so he's not able to come over and help with the farm chores like he was before, either.
A couple of my daughter's friends took me out to lunch yesterday. One was bemoaning the fact that she's turning 30 soon. I told her I could barely recall thirty, that it seemed like half a lifetime ago (which it is!) We had a nice visit and they updated me on how their lives are going. One I've known since my daughter was in grade school, the other is a recent transplant from Ft Bragg, NC, another Army wife who became good friends with the daughter. Maybe having some young people in my life will make it a little brighter? Of course, I just had to drive the Corvette, it makes such an impression on young ladies...well, pretty much everybody loves that Corvette.
Oddest thing happened yesterday. The last of my spring kids was born, about a month late, too. The momma was obviously in a post-partum state when I got home, so I went looking for the kid. I found it, dead. But it would never have lived in the condition it was in. While the body was fully formed, its spine ended where a skull should have been. No skull, no facial features as all, just a blob of meat. In a lifetime of raising animals, I have never seen a defect like that before. Nature is queer sometimes...
Well, I'm looking forward to engaging the CS again. It's a matter of making a bit of time daily. With no school to teach, I should be able to do that.
Hope everyone has a fine day!

Welcome back GW and happy all is well for you other than a bout of stomach flu. I was getting worried about you and was about to put you on the MIA list. :) Have been missing your posts.

Have you put your move back to the lower 48 on the back burner? Or is that still in the works?
Thanks for the warm welcome back, Foxy. The SIL hasn't received orders yet and my daughter thinks it might be as late as Oct before they move. I am not too keen on dragging a 28 ft trailer down the Alcan in the winter. It just gives me another few months to build my road stake.
The last week has been glorious here. I always try to have people visit in May if they can. Everything is fresh and the locals have not gotten burned out on the hordes of tourists that invade every summer. Plus, July and August tend to bring the rainy season.

Did you see the photo of Denali on the Vigil List last night? I presume since it is so visible from Talkeetna, it is probably visible from your goat farm as well? With scenery like that, I would also love to be where you are.

And yes, the week we spent in Alaska was in early August and it rained most of the time we were there. Oddly enough we only had light rain for one of our excursions--no rain everywhere else--but it was constant overcast and threatening all the time. So no view of Denali--it was obscured in fog. No northern lights -- never a clear sky. And we never saw a moose in the wild--one of the major things on my bucket list. But it was all glorious just the same. Enjoyed it immensely.

My ex and I went on an Alaskan cruise the first week of August 2001. It was mostly overcast, but I think we only had one brief period of drizzle. It was chilly, and definitely jacket and gloves weather for viewing the glaciers...along with some hot chocolate.:)

Was it a Princess cruise? Inside passage from Seward to Vancouver? (I'm wondering if we were on the same boat?)

No, it was Royal Caribbean...Inside Passage from Vancouver to Hubbard Glacier.

Welcome back GW and happy all is well for you other than a bout of stomach flu. I was getting worried about you and was about to put you on the MIA list. :) Have been missing your posts.

Have you put your move back to the lower 48 on the back burner? Or is that still in the works?
Thanks for the warm welcome back, Foxy. The SIL hasn't received orders yet and my daughter thinks it might be as late as Oct before they move. I am not too keen on dragging a 28 ft trailer down the Alcan in the winter. It just gives me another few months to build my road stake.
The last week has been glorious here. I always try to have people visit in May if they can. Everything is fresh and the locals have not gotten burned out on the hordes of tourists that invade every summer. Plus, July and August tend to bring the rainy season.

Did you see the photo of Denali on the Vigil List last night? I presume since it is so visible from Talkeetna, it is probably visible from your goat farm as well? With scenery like that, I would also love to be where you are.

And yes, the week we spent in Alaska was in early August and it rained most of the time we were there. Oddly enough we only had light rain for one of our excursions--no rain everywhere else--but it was constant overcast and threatening all the time. So no view of Denali--it was obscured in fog. No northern lights -- never a clear sky. And we never saw a moose in the wild--one of the major things on my bucket list. But it was all glorious just the same. Enjoyed it immensely.

My ex and I went on an Alaskan cruise the first week of August 2001. It was mostly overcast, but I think we only had one brief period of drizzle. It was chilly, and definitely jacket and gloves weather for viewing the glaciers...along with some hot chocolate.:)

Was it a Princess cruise? Inside passage from Seward to Vancouver? (I'm wondering if we were on the same boat?)

Oh well. Maybe we waved to each other somewhere along the way. :)

We could have been at some of the same ports. Did you go to the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau??

We could have been at some of the same ports. Did you go to the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau??

Not sure. We rode the tram and spent a lot of time just walking around down town. Amazing little city. Now that I think about it though, I think we were there more recently than 2001. The years really get muddled together a lot as time passes.

Did you grow up in Alabama?
Grew up in Mobile Alabama............

Just West of I-65..............a few miles..............Beau Terra Subdivision........
Oh great, another one from Alabama, gonna have to fumigate the Coffee Shop....... Oh wait! Did I say that out loud??!!!

Uuuummm, nice weather you're having. Nice to have ya here.

(Wew, that was a close one... good thing no one read that).

:D

Rained 6 inches at least since the other night in LA...........lower Alabama............I've had to let water out of the pool twice.............
Looks like most of the rain went North of you..........We just got done with the big patch of red here........More coming.............lol

I have relations there in Foley........Wife's Aunt...........lives there...........Others in Robertsdale............

I thought you were married and had a small child. . .

I thought you were married and had a small child. . .

Mont is a manny.:)

Got pretty warm today, upper 80s, lower 90s. We finally kicked on the swamp cooler and the AC unit around 8:30, the swamp cooler cools the main portion of the house, AC cools the back of the house (bedrooms). Almost 10pm and it's still in the low 80s outside.
Definitely adapting to the desert temps, when we got here we considered the mid to upper 70s to be fairly warm, now I don't start feeling overly warm till it hits the mid to upper 80s. Of course the sun here is brutal even in the 70s, can't wait till it hits the 100s....... not!!! :lol:
The wife went to one of the clinics last week, said she had to remove her blazer cause it was so warm. Everyone else in the clinic was bundled up like they were freezing. It is funny to see people around here wearing light jackets with the temps in the 70s.

Did you grow up in Alabama?
Grew up in Mobile Alabama............

Just West of I-65..............a few miles..............Beau Terra Subdivision........
Oh great, another one from Alabama, gonna have to fumigate the Coffee Shop....... Oh wait! Did I say that out loud??!!!

Uuuummm, nice weather you're having. Nice to have ya here.

(Wew, that was a close one... good thing no one read that).

:D
I read that.....

Forum List

Back