USMB Coffee Shop IV

And good morning to all. I don't know if we have a lot of multi linguists in the Coffee Shop or everybody has really good translators on their computers. :)

It has been really chilly here the last couple of days and downright cold in the house last night so I put on extra covers and slept like a log. But because it was well after 1 a.m. before going to bed, I slept in a long time this morning. It was cold out there and really warm under the blankets.

The rains have moved on for now it seems, but are supposed to return late tomorrow into Tuesday. We haven't seen a weather pattern like this here, this time of year, for a very long time.

I have a translator add on on my browser....
Been thinking though. Max is a home brewer and does root beer as well. I think he is set up to carbonate by the bottle. Can you imagine carbonated espresso?

Buenas dias amigos. Me levanté temprano, terminado casi un pote del café y necesidad de ir a la tienda de comestibles hoy así como hacer un poco de trabajo más alrededor de la casa.
¡Esperanza cada uno tiene un día bueno!

Oh wait. What forum am I on again?

Y buenos días a usted mi amigo. Tarde un poco de tiempo oler las rosas
No era rosas que yo olía, yo tenía realmente a la pala la cubeta del gato.......

Buenas dias amigos. Me levanté temprano, terminado casi un pote del café y necesidad de ir a la tienda de comestibles hoy así como hacer un poco de trabajo más alrededor de la casa.

Asegúrese de que usted toma más café.
Ninguna necesidad, bebiendo colas con cafeína ahora...... :D
Refresco su estómago se pudrirá
Estómago de hierro fundido. :thup:

No era rosas que yo olía, yo tenía realmente a la pala la cubeta del gato.......

LOL which my translator translated:
It was not pink that I smelled, I really had to the shovel the pale of the cat.......​

It was not pink that I smelled, I really had to the shovel the pale of the cat.......​
Roses can be translated as roses or pink, pail of the cat means litterbox, shovel for scoop. :lol:
Usually when using it to denote pink the word "color" is used in conjunction, means the same in Spanish and English.
Which translator are you using?

Whew! So long since I've been visiting in the CS. Life has moved on for you all, as well as for me.
It's been over 2 weeks since the semester ended but I've been swamped with postponed projects and a couple of bouts of exhaustion and stomach flu. My partner got another job so he's not able to come over and help with the farm chores like he was before, either.
A couple of my daughter's friends took me out to lunch yesterday. One was bemoaning the fact that she's turning 30 soon. I told her I could barely recall thirty, that it seemed like half a lifetime ago (which it is!) We had a nice visit and they updated me on how their lives are going. One I've known since my daughter was in grade school, the other is a recent transplant from Ft Bragg, NC, another Army wife who became good friends with the daughter. Maybe having some young people in my life will make it a little brighter? Of course, I just had to drive the Corvette, it makes such an impression on young ladies...well, pretty much everybody loves that Corvette.
Oddest thing happened yesterday. The last of my spring kids was born, about a month late, too. The momma was obviously in a post-partum state when I got home, so I went looking for the kid. I found it, dead. But it would never have lived in the condition it was in. While the body was fully formed, its spine ended where a skull should have been. No skull, no facial features as all, just a blob of meat. In a lifetime of raising animals, I have never seen a defect like that before. Nature is queer sometimes...
Well, I'm looking forward to engaging the CS again. It's a matter of making a bit of time daily. With no school to teach, I should be able to do that.
Hope everyone has a fine day!

Welcome back GW and happy all is well for you other than a bout of stomach flu. I was getting worried about you and was about to put you on the MIA list. :) Have been missing your posts.

Have you put your move back to the lower 48 on the back burner? Or is that still in the works?
Thanks for the warm welcome back, Foxy. The SIL hasn't received orders yet and my daughter thinks it might be as late as Oct before they move. I am not too keen on dragging a 28 ft trailer down the Alcan in the winter. It just gives me another few months to build my road stake.
The last week has been glorious here. I always try to have people visit in May if they can. Everything is fresh and the locals have not gotten burned out on the hordes of tourists that invade every summer. Plus, July and August tend to bring the rainy season.

Roses can be translated as roses or pink, pail of the cat means litterbox, shovel for scoop. :lol:
Usually when using it to denote pink the word "color" is used in conjunction, means the same in Spanish and English.

I have a little program I have used for decades now--ABC Logo Translator. It will translate English to another language or another language to English in a number of different languages but its vocabulary seems to be pretty limited. Some of my German friends think some of my German created with that program is hysterically funny. :)

Whew! So long since I've been visiting in the CS. Life has moved on for you all, as well as for me.
It's been over 2 weeks since the semester ended but I've been swamped with postponed projects and a couple of bouts of exhaustion and stomach flu. My partner got another job so he's not able to come over and help with the farm chores like he was before, either.
A couple of my daughter's friends took me out to lunch yesterday. One was bemoaning the fact that she's turning 30 soon. I told her I could barely recall thirty, that it seemed like half a lifetime ago (which it is!) We had a nice visit and they updated me on how their lives are going. One I've known since my daughter was in grade school, the other is a recent transplant from Ft Bragg, NC, another Army wife who became good friends with the daughter. Maybe having some young people in my life will make it a little brighter? Of course, I just had to drive the Corvette, it makes such an impression on young ladies...well, pretty much everybody loves that Corvette.
Oddest thing happened yesterday. The last of my spring kids was born, about a month late, too. The momma was obviously in a post-partum state when I got home, so I went looking for the kid. I found it, dead. But it would never have lived in the condition it was in. While the body was fully formed, its spine ended where a skull should have been. No skull, no facial features as all, just a blob of meat. In a lifetime of raising animals, I have never seen a defect like that before. Nature is queer sometimes...
Well, I'm looking forward to engaging the CS again. It's a matter of making a bit of time daily. With no school to teach, I should be able to do that.

Welcome back GW and happy all is well for you other than a bout of stomach flu. I was getting worried about you and was about to put you on the MIA list. :) Have been missing your posts.

Have you put your move back to the lower 48 on the back burner? Or is that still in the works?
Thanks for the warm welcome back, Foxy. The SIL hasn't received orders yet and my daughter thinks it might be as late as Oct before they move. I am not too keen on dragging a 28 ft trailer down the Alcan in the winter. It just gives me another few months to build my road stake.
The last week has been glorious here. I always try to have people visit in May if they can. Everything is fresh and the locals have not gotten burned out on the hordes of tourists that invade every summer. Plus, July and August tend to bring the rainy season.

Did you see the photo of Denali on the Vigil List last night? I presume since it is so visible from Talkeetna, it is probably visible from your goat farm as well? With scenery like that, I would also love to be where you are.

And yes, the week we spent in Alaska was in early August and it rained most of the time we were there. Oddly enough we only had light rain for one of our excursions--no rain everywhere else--but it was constant overcast and threatening all the time. So no view of Denali--it was obscured in fog. No northern lights -- never a clear sky. And we never saw a moose in the wild--one of the major things on my bucket list. But it was all glorious just the same. Enjoyed it immensely.

Last edited:

I have a little program I have used for decades now--ABC Logo Translator. It will translate English to another language or another language to English in a number of different languages but its vocabulary seems to be pretty limited. Some of my German friends think some of my German created with that program is hysterically funny. :)
Yeah, I'd say that translator is seriously out of date. Betcha it doesn't even translate Klingon........ :eusa_whistle:
There are many very good online translators available, my German is pretty terrible and my Spanish is good but kinda limited (I learned formal Spanish, not Latin American Spanish) so I use Paralink from time to time.
One thing to remember with Spanish (and many other languages) it to think in Yoda speak....... In English we say 'I'm going to the store', in Spanish it's 'to the store, going I am'.

Yeah, I'd say that translator is seriously out of date. Betcha it doesn't even translate Klingon........ :eusa_whistle:
There are many very good online translators available, my German is pretty terrible and my Spanish is good but kinda limited (I learned formal Spanish, not Latin American Spanish) so I use Paralink from time to time.
One thing to remember with Spanish (and many other languages) it to think in Yoda speak....... In English we say 'I'm going to the store', in Spanish it's 'to the store, going I am'.

No doubt it is out of date. I can get by with my Spanish but it is most Spanglish--Santa Fe street Spanish--but know only a few dozen words and phrases in other languages. I took a semester of Spanish in college but otherwise am mostly self taught or just use what I have picked up by osmosis.

I won't replace it though because I need it so infrequently. Hombre and I don't go without any need, but we are on an austerity budget in our retirement so we don't spend money to replace things like that which are good enough for our limited needs. We then have expendable cash for things we really do enjoy all the time.

And grrrrr--auto correct is decidedly non intuitive today and keeps putting in words I didn't intend to say. :)

No doubt it is out of date. I can get by with my Spanish but it is most Spanglish--Santa Fe street Spanish--but know only a few dozen words and phrases in other languages. I took a semester of Spanish in college but otherwise am mostly self taught or just use what I have picked up by osmosis.

I won't replace it though because I need it so infrequently. Hombre and I don't go without any need, but we are on an austerity budget in our retirement so we don't spend money to replace things like that which are good enough for our limited needs. We then have expendable cash for things we really do enjoy all the time.

And grrrrr--auto correct is decidedly non intuitive today and keeps putting in words I didn't intend to say. :)
Paralink is online and free as are many, many others. Just open a new tab and go to the site. Select which language you want to translate to or from. There's also Babylon 10 which is good, Google and Bing Translators online, all free and highly rated. Each has it's positives and negatives but that's to be expected.

1511096_10153097851576489_6086196770588733316_n.jpg

Did you see the photo of Denali on the Vigil List last night? I presume since it is so visible from Talkeetna, it is probably visible from your goat farm as well? With scenery like that, I would also love to be where you are.

And yes, the week we spent in Alaska was in early August and it rained most of the time we were there. Oddly enough we only had light rain for one of our excursions--no rain everywhere else--but it was constant overcast and threatening all the time. So no view of Denali--it was obscured in fog. No northern lights -- never a clear sky. And we never saw a moose in the wild--one of the major things on my bucket list. But it was all glorious just the same. Enjoyed it immensely.

My ex and I went on an Alaskan cruise the first week of August 2001. It was mostly overcast, but I think we only had one brief period of drizzle. It was chilly, and definitely jacket and gloves weather for viewing the glaciers...along with some hot chocolate.:)

Finally got our ceiling fan up in the master bedroom, forgot how complex that one was....... no instructions, had to do it from memory.

What do ya think? Pretty good job, eh?

kludge%20ceiling%20fan_b6fd61d2-97c9-4db3-92a5-ddd064e02b58.jpg

:eusa_whistle:

My ex and I went on an Alaskan cruise the first week of August 2001. It was mostly overcast, but I think we only had one brief period of drizzle. It was chilly, and definitely jacket and gloves weather for viewing the glaciers...along with some hot chocolate.:)

Was it a Princess cruise? Inside passage from Seward to Vancouver? (I'm wondering if we were on the same boat?)

Rained 6 inches at least since the other night in LA...........lower Alabama............I've had to let water out of the pool twice.............
You in LA??? Foley, here.
Looks like most of the rain went North of you..........We just got done with the big patch of red here........More coming.............lol

I have relations there in Foley........Wife's Aunt...........lives there...........Others in Robertsdale............

Darn, all the good ones are married! :p

By the way the quip I made about needing to buy sandbags because of the monsoons was a pointed joke. They do get monsoons here in the desert and it appears El Paso never put drainage in so the roads literally become rivers, if you're house is in the wrong location........ :dunno:

Forum List

Back