USMB Coffee Shop IV

:(
Sick. AGAIN. Good vibes in whatever manner you "pray" would be appreciated. I'm so tired of this. See gastro doc on 25th. By then, I should be a walking skeleton. I wanna be skinnier but not this way.

I'll be back when I feel a bit better.
Hugs to all.
Dang, Gracie! Hope you can hold out that long, 25th 10 days. Take care, get some rest. Hope to hear from you later with better news.

I find the Dick and Jane books more intellectually stimulating......... not that most NASCAR fans know how to read...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

NASCAR is not intended to be intellectually stimulating. It is intended to be a culture, an experience. It is pure Americana as few things are any more. It is something it is safe to do with your kids. And it is something to just be a part of free of the politics and ugliness that permeates so much of our society. It isn't my cup of tea, but I can sure appreciate why some do enjoy it.
It was a joke considering it's the number one sport in the country so "most" would be an obvious massive hyperbole....... :D
You should go to a race some time.
The party is amazing. At Talladega, there is on site camping for 100,000. Barring tornadoes, it's a great party.
Soooo...people go for the camping?

That's the way I understand it. I mean there is just so much fascination to watching cars go around an oval track so there has to be other factors of the experience. Watching the action in the pits. The food. The sights and sounds. All of it.
I feel the same way about watching a tennis match as an auto race like that. Of course, I'm not really interested in most spectator sports.

NASCAR is not intended to be intellectually stimulating. It is intended to be a culture, an experience. It is pure Americana as few things are any more. It is something it is safe to do with your kids. And it is something to just be a part of free of the politics and ugliness that permeates so much of our society. It isn't my cup of tea, but I can sure appreciate why some do enjoy it.
It was a joke considering it's the number one sport in the country so "most" would be an obvious massive hyperbole....... :D
The party is amazing. At Talladega, there is on site camping for 100,000. Barring tornadoes, it's a great party.

That's the way I understand it. I mean there is just so much fascination to watching cars go around an oval track so there has to be other factors of the experience. Watching the action in the pits. The food. The sights and sounds. All of it.
I feel the same way about watching a tennis match as an auto race like that. Of course, I'm not really interested in most spectator sports.

Tennis is kind of in a neutral zone for me. I don't seek out tennis match to watch, but if one happens to be in progress when I sit down to watch TV, I will find myself interested. But with soccer or hockey I will turn the channel immediately.

Good morning, Everybody!
Guess I'm not going home this weekend. I had just finished packing another load of construction supplies and other stuff in the truck, planning on having dinner with the geezers, staying here and then getting an early start this morning. I get a text from a friend of mine asking whether I had heard the news? What news? Seems there's a swiftly growing wildfire up near my place and while it isn't in the current evacuation area, the road is closed. No one in, everybody out. So much for retrieving valuable or sentimental property. Bad thing, the wind is blowing the fire right to the area I'm in. It's not looking good for temps, either. We're supposed to go up to the mid-80s the next few days, that and the fact that we've had so little rain or snow this year bodes ill. A map posted about 6 hours ago indicates the fire has grown to almost 5000 acres in less than 24 hours. They've requested hot shot units from other parts of the country and will fight this one pretty intensely since it threatens a "thickly populated" (by Alaskan standards) area. There's still one small subdivision between the fire and my place, but there are only three large farmsteads out my way, only one of those occupied 24/7/65.

So, I suppose you all will have to put up with me moping around here, sweating this out.

Tennis is kind of in a neutral zone for me. I don't seek out tennis match to watch, but if one happens to be in progress when I sit down to watch TV, I will find myself interested. But with soccer or hockey I will turn the channel immediately.
I like horse races. Short, sweet, and to the point. Plus, I love watching the animals in motion.

Good morning, Everybody!
Guess I'm not going home this weekend. I had just finished packing another load of construction supplies and other stuff in the truck, planning on having dinner with the geezers, staying here and then getting an early start this morning. I get a text from a friend of mine asking whether I had heard the news? What news? Seems there's a swiftly growing wildfire up near my place and while it isn't in the current evacuation area, the road is closed. No one in, everybody out. So much for retrieving valuable or sentimental property. Bad thing, the wind is blowing the fire right to the area I'm in. It's not looking good for temps, either. We're supposed to go up to the mid-80s the next few days, that and the fact that we've had so little rain or snow this year bodes ill. A map posted about 6 hours ago indicates the fire has grown to almost 5000 acres in less than 24 hours. They've requested hot shot units from other parts of the country and will fight this one pretty intensely since it threatens a "thickly populated" (by Alaskan standards) area. There's still one small subdivision between the fire and my place, but there are only three large farmsteads out my way, only one of those occupied 24/7/65.

So, I suppose you all will have to put up with me moping around here, sweating this out.

Oh wow. I have been looking at the huge orange 'fire weather' zones in Alaska and thinking that was different. But are your goats in danger GW? Who feeds them if you can't get to them?

I like horse races. Short, sweet, and to the point. Plus, I love watching the animals in motion.

I love horses, and therefore I enjoy watching most equestrian competitions. Horse racing I have taken in spurts. We used to go to the races here or in Santa Fe or in Ruidoso often, but after there was so much scandal in doping and other 'cheating' going on, it lost its allure for me. I'm sure in the big major tracks around the country, they keep a lot tighter controls on that kind of thing.

It's kind of like rodeo. I love to watch cowboy and horse work beautifully together in barrel racing, team roping, tie down, etc., but somewhere along the way I couldn't get past feeling sorry for the poor steer or calf who wasn't having fun participating. But then I gave up fishing too when I felt sorry for the minnow or worm used for bait not to mention the poor fish itself. :)

Good morning, Everybody!

Oh wow. I have been looking at the huge orange 'fire weather' zones in Alaska and thinking that was different. But are your goats in danger GW? Who feeds them if you can't get to them?
The goats are fine and not in any danger. I guess I should probably clarify my current residential status. I work on the western edge of Anchorage, at the big airport. Best paying jobs are there and steady, year-round jobs. My home is in Willow, about a 2-hr commute from work. While the time is a bit of a pain, being home daily is a definite plus. Unfortunately, the price of gasoline and diesel got too expensive to drive four days a week to work and back. Fortunately, I have a buddy (one of the geezers) who has a place closer to town with space and facilities suitable for the goats and a garage large enough for my trailer in the winter. So I rent space from him and drive about 40 minutes into town for work. In many ways, I am very fortunate. I escaped the massive flooding two years ago because my property is higher than any recorded flood indications. But I am very susceptible to fire, and somewhat at the mercy of any of multiple nearby volcanoes. Right now, though, I am fearing having to go in and sift through the charcoal remains of my home. Oh, well, clearing fields for hay and pasture will be easier, I suppose.

I love horses, and therefore I enjoy watching most equestrian competitions. Horse racing I have taken in spurts. We used to go to the races here or in Santa Fe or in Ruidoso often, but after there was so much scandal in doping and other 'cheating' going on, it lost its allure for me. I'm sure in the big major tracks around the country, they keep a lot tighter controls on that kind of thing.

It's kind of like rodeo. I love to watch cowboy and horse work beautifully together in barrel racing, team roping, tie down, etc., but somewhere along the way I couldn't get past feeling sorry for the poor steer or calf who wasn't having fun participating. But then I gave up fishing too when I felt sorry for the minnow or worm used for bait not to mention the poor fish itself. :)
Equestrian sports represent one of the neatest man-animal cooperation to be seen. I like watching the close work with apparent lack of signals.
We have dog sleds up here, and those are cool too. Anyone who claims those dogs are abused has never seen those dogs in action. They are practically unmanageable when being harnessed, and then they take off like demons when allowed to do so.
P.S. This fire I've been talking about apparently started at a place that lost several sled dogs and other animals.

Good morning, Everybody!

The goats are fine and not in any danger. I guess I should probably clarify my current residential status. I work on the western edge of Anchorage, at the big airport. Best paying jobs are there and steady, year-round jobs. My home is in Willow, about a 2-hr commute from work. While the time is a bit of a pain, being home daily is a definite plus. Unfortunately, the price of gasoline and diesel got too expensive to drive four days a week to work and back. Fortunately, I have a buddy (one of the geezers) who has a place closer to town with space and facilities suitable for the goats and a garage large enough for my trailer in the winter. So I rent space from him and drive about 40 minutes into town for work. In many ways, I am very fortunate. I escaped the massive flooding two years ago because my property is higher than any recorded flood indications. But I am very susceptible to fire, and somewhat at the mercy of any of multiple nearby volcanoes. Right now, though, I am fearing having to go in and sift through the charcoal remains of my home. Oh, well, clearing fields for hay and pasture will be easier, I suppose.

Geez. Well we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Good morning, Everybody!

Often, they will allow a fire to burn itself out because so much of Alaska is "uninhabited".

Good morning, Everybody!

Often, they will allow a fire to burn itself out because so much of Alaska is "uninhabited".

Yes, and forest do benefit from a burn off now and then as nature intended. Some native plants in many places don't regenerate at all until a wild fire comes through. Part of the ebb and flow of nature. But it sure is tough to stand by and not try to stop a fire that is destroying a forest you love and/or is threatening people and wildlife that you love.

Bummer. I'm really not a NASCAR fan but still get drawn into it by family who is--my granddaughter has been a rabid fan since she was 10. So I know it is disappointing for those who really are fans. Just by osmosis I guess, I know all the drivers and you can't help but get caught up in the culture at least just a little bit.

It is massive crowds and noise and patriotic displays and the roar of the engines and round and round they go in the spirit of Thunder Road.
I find the Dick and Jane books more intellectually stimulating......... not that most NASCAR fans know how to read...... :eusa_whistle:

In part... The parties are epic.The camp grounds are a great equalizer. Cheap tents next to million dollar motor homes and everyone having a great time.
There's a lot of party hopping and after dark, there are always dozens if not hundreds of sky lanterns floating around.

$_35.JPG

There is a certain thrill from seeing a car slide down the asphalt, on its roof at 200 miles per hour, too.

Good morning, Everybody!

Keeping you in our prayers.

Good morning, Everybody!

Yes, and forest do benefit from a burn off now and then as nature intended. Some native plants in many places don't regenerate at all until a wild fire comes through. Part of the ebb and flow of nature. But it sure is tough to stand by and not try to stop a fire that is destroying a forest you love and/or is threatening people and wildlife that you love.
Natural burns are no problem for me, but there are forests here that have been killed off by spruce beetles and they should be clear cut or left burn. They're mostly stands of dead tinder. But since so many of these areas are adjacent to tourist routes, they refuse to manage these forests properly...can't let the tourists think we just clear cut the timber, can we? If you're interested, you can watch the Matanuska-Susitna Borough FB page. They do a pretty good job keeping the information flow open. They did really well when it flooded, too. It's also great to see so many people stepping up to help each other out.

In part... The parties are epic.The camp grounds are a great equalizer. Cheap tents next to million dollar motor homes and everyone having a great time.
There's a lot of party hopping and after dark, there are always dozens if not hundreds of sky lanterns floating around.

$_35.JPG
I suppose that once, long ago...when I was still experiencing the folly of youth, I would have enjoyed such an event. Oh, wait...I often did. I used to work on a Kawasaki pit crew, we made the rounds of various road-race tracks up and down CA.

There is a certain thrill from seeing a car slide down the asphalt, on its roof at 200 miles per hour, too.
Particularly if the occupant can walk away after is stops.

Good morning, Everybody!

Keeping you in our prayers.
Thank you, Ringel. This is nothing compared to your trials and tribulations, but thank you!

Good morning, Everybody!

Natural burns are no problem for me, but there are forests here that have been killed off by spruce beetles and they should be clear cut or left burn. They're mostly stands of dead tinder. But since so many of these areas are adjacent to tourist routes, they refuse to manage these forests properly...can't let the tourists think we just clear cut the timber, can we? If you're interested, you can watch the Matanuska-Susitna Borough FB page. They do a pretty good job keeping the information flow open. They did really well when it flooded, too. It's also great to see so many people stepping up to help each other out.

Here the pine beetles are devastating much of our ponderosa pine and pinon, especially with the trees weakened by persistent drought. And when the trees are doubly weakened by forest management that does not allow the natural burns, thus the trees are too crowded and unable to obtain their full stature and strength, and when the burn finally does happen, everything is destroyed instead of the strongest, healthiest trees surviving the fire and regenerating the forest.

Sometimes our best intentions are really not the best thing to do. :)

Forum List

Back