USMB Coffee Shop IV

Windows installed. Now I'm trying to get ethernet drivers installed.
I did the W10 upgrade on my ASUS desktop PC yesterday and I love it. It went off without a hitch. Lots of great new features. I think W10 is destined to be their best OS yet. I had the tech preview of W10 on my laptop but took it off because most of my fn keys were dead, and my pointer would disappear every time it slept, and I'd have to physically hold in the power key to power down to get it back, that was the only way. Got sick of that real fast.

And you work some hellacious hours there, brother. You're a different kinda man than I am. I never figured chasing money was worth spending the majority of my life on. You grow old and have a lot of money, but you've worked your life away. I just figure a guy has to slow down and smell the roses, enjoy life, it ain't all about work and money.
I would agree except in Ernie's case I think Docs is truly a labor of love. At least that's the vibes I get through his posts. I know a number of people who just are not ready to fully retire yet, but they are all in jobs they love.

I did the Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop too, but so far am not all that convinced it is better. What happened to the Computer access where you can see your disk usage and all the features? And I can't seem to find a control panel.
So, how do I go about this W10 upgrade? I use Windows so little that I've yet to see an option
It comes with one of the updates, a small Windows icon shows up on the bottom right of the taskbar, you click on that to reserve you download.

Right now I'm waiting for the Lenovo to get the ready message then I'll try it on that. Not holding out much hope that I'm gonna like it especially if it's still anything like Win 8.
Probably took me an hour from start to finish, but when it restarted for the last time everything worked perfect. I like 10. I like the way it looks and the new features. Like getting a new computer kinda.

I did the W10 upgrade on my ASUS desktop PC yesterday and I love it. It went off without a hitch. Lots of great new features. I think W10 is destined to be their best OS yet. I had the tech preview of W10 on my laptop but took it off because most of my fn keys were dead, and my pointer would disappear every time it slept, and I'd have to physically hold in the power key to power down to get it back, that was the only way. Got sick of that real fast.

And you work some hellacious hours there, brother. You're a different kinda man than I am. I never figured chasing money was worth spending the majority of my life on. You grow old and have a lot of money, but you've worked your life away. I just figure a guy has to slow down and smell the roses, enjoy life, it ain't all about work and money.

I would agree except in Ernie's case I think Docs is truly a labor of love. At least that's the vibes I get through his posts. I know a number of people who just are not ready to fully retire yet, but they are all in jobs they love.

I did the Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop too, but so far am not all that convinced it is better. What happened to the Computer access where you can see your disk usage and all the features? And I can't seem to find a control panel.
Where is Control Panel - Windows Help

So, how do I go about this W10 upgrade? I use Windows so little that I've yet to see an option
It comes with one of the updates, a small Windows icon shows up on the bottom right of the taskbar, you click on that to reserve you download.

Right now I'm waiting for the Lenovo to get the ready message then I'll try it on that. Not holding out much hope that I'm gonna like it especially if it's still anything like Win 8.
Probably took me an hour from start to finish, but when it restarted for the last time everything worked perfect. I like 10. I like the way it looks and the new features. Like getting a new computer kinda.
I absolutely despise the Win 8 interface and I don't like what I see with Win 10. I'll try it on the Lenovo (3 in 1) but most likely I'll keep Win 7 till I can't us it any longer then I'll start Hackentoshing, that will be the end of my relationship with Microsoft.

I think you had to reserve a Windows 10 update back when but if you have Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1, you should see a little four pane window in the lower right corner of your screen. Click on that and it should give you the option to upgrade. You reserve it and Microsoft then adds a new window with the button to upgrade at some point. I received that button with my laptop--have not yet received it with my PC. If you are running a windows version earlier than Windows 7, I don't believe there is an option for a free upgrade to Windows 10.

Where is Control Panel - Windows Help

Yeah I know where it is on Windows 7 and 8.1. I haven't been able to locate it on Windows 10 though.

I absolutely despise the Win 8 interface and I don't like what I see with Win 10. I'll try it on the Lenovo (3 in 1) but most likely I'll keep Win 7 till I can't us it any longer then I'll start Hackentoshing, that will be the end of my relationship with Microsoft.

It took me awhile, but I made my peace with Windows 8, figured out how to configure the interface to make it really user friendly for me, and enjoy it now--find myself resenting Windows 7 on the laptop that doesn't offer the same features.

I'm not convinced yet that I'll like Windows 10 as well as Windows 8.1.

OK... It looks like I may have the old laptop on the road to recovery. MBR was lunched so I had to format the whole thing for windows on a non windows machine that doesn't automatically ignore hidden partitions.
The renewed interest is due to the wife surrendering her book keeper position at Doc's and wanting her laptop back.

Long process. For some reason, my old laptop doesn't want to boot to a DVD but another, nearly identical machine I had at the bar for karaoke does OK. I swapped hard drives and my laptop booted from the other hard drive, so I'm installing windows 7 on the karaoke machine and will swap the drives back and deal with a few drivers as soon as I get it up on wifi.
At this point, it is at 60% "expanding windows files", so it looks like this will work.

71% woopee!
You usually have to hit F2 or F12 (during bootup) to open the boot sequencer, then use the arrow keys to highlight the CD/DVD then hit enter.
(it's different with Windows 8.)
I've been trough all that. This is a 5 year old laptop with no secure boot (another story)
Boot order is correct and if I go to the boot menu and choose either hard drive or CD, I get a message that it can't find a network boot image and asks for a bootable disk.

Same crap, different day.

I'm going to try cloning the drive from Laptop 2 onto the drive from LT 1.

It took me awhile, but I made my peace with Windows 8, figured out how to configure the interface to make it really user friendly for me, and enjoy it now--find myself resenting Windows 7 on the laptop that doesn't offer the same features.

Everyone has their preferences and I'll never begrudge them that, some love Win 7 and hate Win 8 like me, some like Win 8 better like you, some will hate Win 7 and Win 8 but love Win 10, some are pure Linux and Apple fans. Maybe I'm just being stubbornly resistant but I don't care. :lol:

Everyone has their preferences and I'll never begrudge them that, some love Win 7 and hate Win 8 like me, some like Win 8 better like you, some will hate Win 7 and Win 8 but love Win 10, some are pure Linux and Apple fans. Maybe I'm just being stubbornly resistant but I don't care. :lol:

No one loves Windows 8, they just learn to accept it. :lol:

Well, I have apparently accepted it sufficiently that I wouldn't trade it for Windows 7 and I am not at all sure I want to give it up for Windows 10. I really am enjoying Windows 8.1

I have windows 7 and like it fine. I have not heard good things about windows 8 so I think I'll stay where I am a while. :)

p.s. Going to Sherry's this weekend so you folks be good. Foxy...this is a little instrumental I did for Sherry several months ago. Nothing major....just threw in a some jazzbo chords and had some fun.

Have a great weekend. :)

Well, I have apparently accepted it sufficiently that I wouldn't trade it for Windows 7 and I am not at all sure I want to give it up for Windows 10. I really am enjoying Windows 8.1

I've barely used Win 8. The little I've dealt with it I haven't liked it, but maybe if I used it regularly I'd learn to be OK with it. I don't like the concept behind it, though; an OS built to be used with a touch screen tablet or phone as well as a PC. It seems lazy and misguided. Just make separate OS's! I don't use a tablet or a phone, I don't own a tablet or a phone with an OS. I use PC's. I want an OS built for a PC. :D

I haven't seen Win 10 yet, but I probably will soonish. My employer is not a big PC person and she despises Win 8. It has caused her nothing but headaches and she's ill prepared for dealing with the ways it has changed from previous Windows versions. I don't know if she remembered that the update is available (she doesn't actually use her laptop that much) but she was very much wanting to upgrade to 10 ASAP.

I'm still using Vista on both of my machines. I probably won't get a later Windows version until I buy a new PC, and that will only happen when either one of the current ones breaks down or a game comes out that I really need a better system to run and I want to play it. :p

If you are happy with Win 8 Foxy, don't upgrade! Use what you are comfortable with. :)

I've barely used Win 8. The little I've dealt with it I haven't liked it, but maybe if I used it regularly I'd learn to be OK with it. I don't like the concept behind it, though; an OS built to be used with a touch screen tablet or phone as well as a PC. It seems lazy and misguided. Just make separate OS's! I don't use a tablet or a phone, I don't own a tablet or a phone with an OS. I use PC's. I want an OS built for a PC. :D

I haven't seen Win 10 yet, but I probably will soonish. My employer is not a big PC person and she despises Win 8. It has caused her nothing but headaches and she's ill prepared for dealing with the ways it has changed from previous Windows versions. I don't know if she remembered that the update is available (she doesn't actually use her laptop that much) but she was very much wanting to upgrade to 10 ASAP.

I'm still using Vista on both of my machines. I probably won't get a later Windows version until I buy a new PC, and that will only happen when either one of the current ones breaks down or a game comes out that I really need a better system to run and I want to play it. :p

If you are happy with Win 8 Foxy, don't upgrade! Use what you are comfortable with. :)

Oh I generally don't do anything I don't really want to do. :) But truly Windows 8 took me many months to settle in and learn to appreciate what it offered. I hated it with a passion at first, but with use, learned to like it. Now I prefer it to XP, Vista, Win 7, and so far Win 10 on our other computers. But like Ringel said, each to their own. We all don't like the same flavor of ice cream either. :)

By the way folks, preliminary lab tests are in on the procedure done Tuesday - no malignancy or other uglies have shown up so far. Now I'm waiting to hear from the general surgery group to see when they are going to remove the cyst and I'll be done with this for once and for all. Thanks for all those prayers and good vibes though. I'm feeling really positive about it all now.

By the way folks, preliminary lab tests are in on the procedure done Tuesday - no malignancy or other uglies have shown up so far. Now I'm waiting to hear from the general surgery group to see when they are going to remove the cyst and I'll be done with this for once and for all. Thanks for all those prayers and good vibes though. I'm feeling really positive about it all now.

That is absolutely GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo!!!!!!! :happy-1:

Basically the wifes' doc is of the get rid of it now school so that it doesn't come back to haunt you later down the road.

I'm keeping my eyes open on PC laptops that will run Macs' OS X. Currently many HPs, Lenovos and some Dells will run OS X, with some the problem lies with WiFi card compatibility and Apples' OS X, but that is an easy fix to replace or use a dongle. The reasoning? An "Apple" PC for half the price of a Macbook.
Besides, almost every PC application written will now work on an Apple without having to buy (or download) an application specifically written for Apple. Not to mention OS X looks like a Linux interface so I'm already familiar with it. :thup:

Okay, checked with some well recommended Orthopods who do partial knee replacements and figured out which insurance (available to us) they take so we've signed her up for one that is very good but also not too expensive. It'll take effect Sept 1 and she'll have to get a referral first before seeing the Ortho surgeon.

Forum List

Back