USMB Coffee Shop IV

As promised, the finished cane:

DSC_0315.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

Wow. The walking sticks Hombre makes from time to time (and always gives away) are really rustic. This one is classy and beautiful.

Ugh, I'm not doing well with the free Java course I'm taking. I just got done with the third section. At the end of each section is an exam. At the end of section 1 I got a 90% on the exam. Section 2 I got a 75%. This time I got a 67%.

Admittedly, after I saw the correct answers and a little bit of the reasons for them, I understood, and one wrong question I really should have gotten right but I lost track of things, but still. That's a definite downward trend and I am thinking I may not be able to remember all of this programming crap; when I'm done (if I finish) will I have any clue how to do the basic things I learned in the beginning?

This is just making me pessimistic about my ability to finish any sort of degree and remember the majority of the information. It's not like I'm going to enjoy any class I take; it's just a means to an end, that being a job when I can't nanny anymore.

I'm intelligent enough to understand how things work (particularly with a good teacher, which admittedly I don't really have in this Java class) but I don't trust my memory for things I don't enjoy.

Ah, all the reasons that I'm not an overly happy person come to the fore when I have to worry about how I will deal with the future when my situation changes. :blowup:

On a happier note, the little one did great in karate today. She got new stripes on her belt and will be testing to go up in color next week. She's still a 6 year old girl who's only taken a dozen or so classes, but she does a very good job while she's with her sensei. If only I could get her to practice at home.....

Good for the little one. And don't beat yourself up too much. You are no doubt out of the habit of doing coursework which is a mild handicap that will pass. And ask yourself too if this Java programming is fascinating to you--something you really enjoy and look forward to doing. Or something you do because you 'need' to do it. If it is the latter, you may not have a strong aptitude for that particular thing, but it doesn't mean that you don't have aptitude for anything. And if you do enjoy it, in most of the techy stuff, it is my experience that I don't really 'learn' it until I put it into practical application. Then the stuff stored in your brain that you may not really recall for a test is still there and comes to the surface as something familiar to you.

Ugh, I'm not doing well with the free Java course I'm taking. I just got done with the third section. At the end of each section is an exam. At the end of section 1 I got a 90% on the exam. Section 2 I got a 75%. This time I got a 67%.

Admittedly, after I saw the correct answers and a little bit of the reasons for them, I understood, and one wrong question I really should have gotten right but I lost track of things, but still. That's a definite downward trend and I am thinking I may not be able to remember all of this programming crap; when I'm done (if I finish) will I have any clue how to do the basic things I learned in the beginning?

This is just making me pessimistic about my ability to finish any sort of degree and remember the majority of the information. It's not like I'm going to enjoy any class I take; it's just a means to an end, that being a job when I can't nanny anymore.

I'm intelligent enough to understand how things work (particularly with a good teacher, which admittedly I don't really have in this Java class) but I don't trust my memory for things I don't enjoy.

Ah, all the reasons that I'm not an overly happy person come to the fore when I have to worry about how I will deal with the future when my situation changes. :blowup:

On a happier note, the little one did great in karate today. She got new stripes on her belt and will be testing to go up in color next week. She's still a 6 year old girl who's only taken a dozen or so classes, but she does a very good job while she's with her sensei. If only I could get her to practice at home.....

Good for the little one. And don't beat yourself up too much. You are no doubt out of the habit of doing coursework which is a mild handicap that will pass. And ask yourself too if this Java programming is fascinating to you--something you really enjoy and look forward to doing. Or something you do because you 'need' to do it. If it is the latter, you may not have a strong aptitude for that particular thing, but it doesn't mean that you don't have aptitude for anything. And if you do enjoy it, in most of the techy stuff, it is my experience that I don't really 'learn' it until I put it into practical application. Then the stuff stored in your brain that you may not really recall for a test is still there and comes to the surface as something familiar to you.

There is no class I might take that would be fascinating to me. :p Like work, school is something I do/will do because I need to, not because I want to.

I'm taking this free class now because if I happen to be good at programming, I can then take a more traditional class in it and hope that leads to a job when I'm done with the nanny gig. I don't have much in the way of marketable skills, nor do I have the money to go through many different paid classes, so I need to try and be as sure as I can before I pay for a college degree, even if it's only an associates. Since I'm also limited to online courses, and I already spend a lot of my free time on the computer, a computer-based degree seemed like a good potential fit.

Montrovant, it is not about remembering everything you learned, it is being exposed to all of it so it is easier to relearn if your job requires it. For instance I may not remember if a plant has a cell wall or not, but the fact I know there is a question to be answered puts me ahead of someone that never heard of one.

Well, up to now I've been mostly solving problems where I just have to insert or replace a bit of code. When I get further along and they have me writing my own code from scratch, I'll probably need to know a lot of what I'm learning now. :dunno:

Montrovant, it is not about remembering everything you learned, it is being exposed to all of it so it is easier to relearn if your job requires it. For instance I may not remember if a plant has a cell wall or not, but the fact I know there is a question to be answered puts me ahead of someone that never heard of one.

Well, up to now I've been mostly solving problems where I just have to insert or replace a bit of code. When I get further along and they have me writing my own code from scratch, I'll probably need to know a lot of what I'm learning now. :dunno:

Don't you have texts or places you can go to look things up? I studied a heck of a lot of stuff in college that I needed later on, but had to go back and look it up. But because I had studied the information, I knew what to look up and where to find it.

...and you will have the benefit of doing it more often to help remember. I have had to learn a lot this last year as a new manager. It is doable.

There is no class I might take that would be fascinating to me. :p Like work, school is something I do/will do because I need to, not because I want to.

I'm taking this free class now because if I happen to be good at programming, I can then take a more traditional class in it and hope that leads to a job when I'm done with the nanny gig. I don't have much in the way of marketable skills, nor do I have the money to go through many different paid classes, so I need to try and be as sure as I can before I pay for a college degree, even if it's only an associates. Since I'm also limited to online courses, and I already spend a lot of my free time on the computer, a computer-based degree seemed like a good potential fit.

I don't buy that any human is disinterested in everything. And we all have our own 'genius' in something. My best Mama Fox counsel is to keep looking until you find something that you love doing and look forward to doing each day. That will be what you are supposed to do. And you will be thrilled that it will be so easy for you to learn.

Don't you have texts or places you can go to look things up? I studied a heck of a lot of stuff in college that I needed later on, but had to go back and look it up. But because I had studied the information, I knew what to look up and where to find it.

Yeah, there's places to look things up, including from Oracle (the company that owns Java). If I have to keep looking up each new type of code I learn, how to implement all of the myriad methods of doing things, though, I don't think I'll be able to do much with it.

There are a few reasons I might not be getting some of this as quickly as I think I should. The class is actually from a school in Spain, so there's some language issues; I'm not doing direct interaction with teachers, just watching videos and trying to solve problems, sometimes reading posts from other students to see if they provide clearer answers; and I haven't been doing it for very long, so I don't know what kind of pace of learning is reasonable.

I did well in school when I was young, but once I moved down to Florida in 10th grade, I pretty much abandoned it. Even when I was doing well, it wasn't a matter of enjoying the work I don't think, more that I was intelligent enough that the work was fairly easy for me and I was around a bunch of other intelligent kids, so getting work done and getting good grades was socially important. Once I lost that after moving, school was just boring and I ended up quitting and getting a GED (well, technically they kicked me out because I wasn't going, I didn't formally drop out :p).

So yeah, it's been a long time since I was in school and longer since I actually tried to work at it.

I'm just afraid of making the wrong choice in getting some sort of college degree because once I do I may just be stuck with it.

I don't buy that any human is disinterested in everything. And we all have our own 'genius' in something. My best Mama Fox counsel is to keep looking until you find something that you love doing and look forward to doing each day. That will be what you are supposed to do. And you will be thrilled that it will be so easy for you to learn.

Everything I might do for work? Yeah, I'm disinterested. I'm not going to make any money watching shows, playing video games, or reading books. That's about the extent of things I enjoy doing with my time, and I'm not good enough at the games to make a living from it. :p

To me work is measured in degrees of suck. I am looking for what sucks the least, not what I will enjoy, because that is almost certainly an unattainable goal. I've never understood people talking about enjoying work; maybe there will be moments during work that are enjoyable, but for the most part, it's that thing you do because you have to to get money. When someone says that if they won the lottery they'd probably end up working because they'd be bored I am completely baffled; get some hobbies! :lol: If I didn't need to work it wouldn't even be a consideration that I'd do it anyway. Maybe I'm just odd, but the idea that work will end up being something I enjoy sounds silly to me. Even some careers that look, from outside, like they'd be fun......I think I would not actually enjoy. Professional athlete? Sure, the idea of making money playing a sport sounds great, but I imagine it's actually a whole lot of boring, grinding work that we don't usually see. Musician? Yeah, I had fun playing in bands when I was younger.....but only while I could do it for fun. When it started becoming too much like a job, too serious, less carefree and fun, I didn't want to do it any more. There are other similar things, and not only are they all probably a lot more work than they appear at a casual glance, they are also the kinds of careers that the vast majority of people who try them go nowhere with them.

What I do now is as close to enjoying a job as I can imagine getting and I was very lucky with this situation.

No, my pessimism and experience tell me not to look for an enjoyable job. I just want to find something I can do that will allow me to live relatively comfortably while remaining in this area so I can stay close to the little one. ;)

Everything I might do for work? Yeah, I'm disinterested. I'm not going to make any money watching shows, playing video games, or reading books. That's about the extent of things I enjoy doing with my time, and I'm not good enough at the games to make a living from it. :p

To me work is measured in degrees of suck. I am looking for what sucks the least, not what I will enjoy, because that is almost certainly an unattainable goal. I've never understood people talking about enjoying work; maybe there will be moments during work that are enjoyable, but for the most part, it's that thing you do because you have to to get money. When someone says that if they won the lottery they'd probably end up working because they'd be bored I am completely baffled; get some hobbies! :lol: If I didn't need to work it wouldn't even be a consideration that I'd do it anyway. Maybe I'm just odd, but the idea that work will end up being something I enjoy sounds silly to me. Even some careers that look, from outside, like they'd be fun......I think I would not actually enjoy. Professional athlete? Sure, the idea of making money playing a sport sounds great, but I imagine it's actually a whole lot of boring, grinding work that we don't usually see. Musician? Yeah, I had fun playing in bands when I was younger.....but only while I could do it for fun. When it started becoming too much like a job, too serious, less carefree and fun, I didn't want to do it any more. There are other similar things, and not only are they all probably a lot more work than they appear at a casual glance, they are also the kinds of careers that the vast majority of people who try them go nowhere with them.

What I do now is as close to enjoying a job as I can imagine getting and I was very lucky with this situation.

No, my pessimism and experience tell me not to look for an enjoyable job. I just want to find something I can do that will allow me to live relatively comfortably while remaining in this area so I can stay close to the little one. ;)

Maybe there is an aptitude there that you haven't explored. On line games or apps for games are a huge industry now. I think only those who really enjoy playing the games could design a game others would enjoy playing. I suggest you try to find a course to learn how to do that and find out whether that is your special area of 'genius'.

Maybe there is an aptitude there that you haven't explored. On line games or apps for games are a huge industry now. I think only those who really enjoy playing the games could design a game others would enjoy playing. I suggest you try to find a course to learn how to do that and find out whether that is your special area of 'genius'.

I do appreciate all the encouragement I've gotten about this. I tend to pessimism, particularly when it comes to work and my future, so now that I'm seriously trying to figure out what I'm going to do next, it leads to me feeling frustrated or even hopeless about things. It's just the way I am, a big part of the reason I spent my early adult life unhappy.

I've got fallbacks if I have trouble getting a job when I am done here. I really want to be able to stay, though, because if I end up having to move back to Florida, I'm pretty sure I'll almost never see the little one. That might be bad for her and certainly would be for me.

I'm taking today and tomorrow off from the Java class. I was pulling out my hair kind of frustrated with it last night, and the Super Bowl is tomorrow, so it's a good time to step back. I'll try going into the fourth section on Monday and see how that goes. If it continues to be too difficult to grasp, I might switch to an Oracle tutorial and see if that provides an easier to understand form of teaching. I can still also try a different computer-related field, networking or web design, something along those lines.

The little one is 6 1/2 years old now, and I don't know how much longer I'll be needed here, so I'm feeling somewhat pressed for time. My employer has not been pressuring me, but she has brought it up, and if I'm going to take 2 years to get some sort of associate's degree, time may be a factor. I really would like to be enrolled in an online college by the time the little one turns 7, just a few months away. Hopefully by the end of this month I will be able to make a decision about whether programming is something I think I can do.

Why do fishermen leave this out of the fish story?
I dunno? Does that look like a "biggun" to you?
I was taught about hunting that there's bragging deer and eating deer.
When I hunt for me, eating deer (moose) are sufficient. When guiding out-of-state trophy hunters, bragging deer (moose) are required.
You gotta move it and process it. It should taste good.
Moving, aging, processing, lots of work. There's an easy 800-900 lbs of meat on an average moose. That much meat can last several years for just me.

Good morning, coffee shoppers! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend! I took a few more pictures yesterday just before sunset because I wanted to capture the sparkling snow. You really can't see the sparkling, but the pictures are pretty nonetheless. Enjoy those of you who like the snow! :)

View attachment 62547 View attachment 62548 View attachment 62549 View attachment 62550
Looks like it should look here, but doesn't. It's slick ice and very little snow cover at all.

This is for those of you who know SFC Ollie who was the very first member to join the Coffee Shop when it first opened and an important part of our family here for years, his beloved Colonel crossed the rainbow bridge today. Sending him and Mrs. O comfort and love.

12646886_10208885006701610_3632028231385615621_o.jpg
All the best wishes to Ollie and Colonel. No doubt he will be waiting at the rainbow bridge to cross over with his best buddy, Ollie! Sorry, Ollie.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
For every happiness for Sherry and WQ,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

picture11.jpg

Forum List

Back