USMB Coffee Shop IV

This is for those of you who know SFC Ollie who was the very first member to join the Coffee Shop when it first opened and an important part of our family here for years, his beloved Colonel crossed the rainbow bridge today. Sending him and Mrs. O comfort and love.

12646886_10208885006701610_3632028231385615621_o.jpg
All the best wishes to Ollie and Colonel. No doubt he will be waiting at the rainbow bridge to cross over with his best buddy, Ollie! Sorry, Ollie.
This ^
Colonel was/is very handsome, and yes...he will patiently be awaiting at attention at Rainbow Bridge for Ollie. Well, when he hears his steps. Meanwhile, Colonel is at ease, rolling in mud and grass like a puppy and eating chocolate kisses given to him by a very nice man in a very muddy pawed white robe. :)

Was cold this morning, got the cats, me and the birds fed a few hours ago. The wife is still asleep, she must not have gone to bed until late.
Oh and the birds are hanging around the back door begging for more food.......

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
For every happiness for Sherry and WQ,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

picture11.jpg
Is that in Phuket?

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
For every happiness for Sherry and WQ,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

picture11.jpg
Is that in Phuket?

Beats me. It was just the first really interesting photo I came to last night when I was signing off. Ernie provided a link up there of where it probably originally came from and it might tell us. I haven't taken time to look yet.

Good morning everybody--it is still morning in Albuquerque for another 29 minutes. I didn't have anything pressing today, so decided to just stay in bed and sleep as long as I could. "As long as I could" was just after 10 a.m. And I don't feel any more rested, in fact not as rested, so I probably won't be doing that again. Not being able to take any nsaids has really screwed up my sleep cycle but I'll get it figured out.

Anyhow, hope everybody is having a great Monday and all is well with your world. My schedule will be cleaning out more nooks and crannies today and folding a mountain of laundry in the laundry room. But life is good.

As you may or may not know, I live in a small town on the Buckle of the Rust Belt 42 miles down the Ohio River from Pittsburgh, but 30 miles as the crow flies. Many of the small steel towns that clung to the banks of the Ohio have faded from their post war glory. Mine is not too different from them.

My town was once the Pottery Capital of the World. We made china dishes, ceramic door knobs, teapots, college beer steins and other ceramic wares. After World War II, many of the smaller potteries closed shop while the larger commercial potteries hung on by the toenails to viability.

A lot of the potters got jobs in the Crucible Steel mill in Midland, PA. There they made over 25% of the stainless steel used in the free world. There was a blast furnace, a coke plant that rendered coal into coke, a foundry that cast massive steel components for engines and generators, bar mills that produced steel bars in various diameters that were shipped to other processing plants and turned into crankshafts and axels.

Then in the late 1970s, just as our city's sports teams were bringing home championships, the steel mills began to close. Siphoning off all those paychecks had a devastating effect on the local economy. Between the mills closing and the advent of the shopping mall, many downtown business districts became a shell of themselves overnight.

Downtown here was no different. We had marvelous stores and restaurants, hotels and movie theaters, civic organizations and a splendid public transportation system.

Downtown on a Saturday morning was a sight to see. Crowds of shoppers scurried from shop to shop, pausing on the sidewalks to exchange hellos and gossip. The big department store was Ogilvie's. Inside, along with the men's and women's departments were housewares, sporting goods, Boy and Girl Scout department, shoes and a candy counter. I might have been the luckiest kid in town because my paternal Grandmother ran the candy counter.

Now, I loved my Grandma as much as any first grandchild should, but she was either stingy with the candy or did not understand that children prefer chocolate over jellied fruits, tasteless taffy, coconut encrusted goo and candied nuts. Those I could get from her with the regularity of a sunrise. But malted milk balls or caramels or peanut clusters? Not a chance.

Oglivie's had two telephone booths where, for a dime, you could step inside, sit down, be cooled by a 9" diameter fan and be bathed in the incandescent flow of a 50 watt bulb while you called home on a rotary dial telephone and told Mom where you were. I enjoyed all the comforts of the walnut and oak booths, but I rarely called home.

There were no cash registers in Ogilvie's. Instead there was an intricate system of pneumatic tubes much like those you use every day at the drive up window at the bank. A customer would make a purchase and either pay cash or use their Ogilvie's credit line as Mastercard and Visa had yet to be invented. As a matter of fact, when they were invented they were called Master Charge and Bank Americard respectively. Anyway, the paperwork (sales slip, cash or credit) were loaded into a little cylinder and put into the tube where it was whisked up to the Mezzanine level. There cashiers would record the sale and put any change into the cylinder and blew it along the tube back to the counter. It was fascinating!

If you left Ogilvie's through the Washington Street entrance and you were nine or ten or eleven years old, you headed straight for Burbick's hardware. Burbick's was not technically a hardware store, but the premier sporting goods store in town. The aroma of leetsfoot oil for baseball gloves hung heavy in the air. That, mixed with the fresh leather smell of new footballs, crisp linen baseball uniforms and adhesive patches for bicycle inner tubes made one just intoxicated with dreams of new stuff.

Crossing back over Washington Street, you could dash into Heime's News Stand to peruse the latest editions of comic books or, if you were lucky enough to have a five dollar bill in your pocket, maybe a new Revel model of a Pontiac GTO or Messerschmidt fighter.

Feeling peckish? Connel's lunch is right beside Heimie's. That's where they had a big carrousel of roasted nuts spinning ever so enticingly in the front window. There was always a mound of pistachios dyed red to hide the blemishes common to that variety. Today's pistachio is about a third bigger than the nuts of my youth. But today's pistachio won't turn your lips red, so there's a trade off for the better.. But the old folks ate at Connel's. Let's walk down Sixth Street, past the American Theater to Islay's where we can get a skyscraper ice cream cone or a Lemon Blend or a chip chop ham sandwich.

And all these adventures could be had for less than eight dollars. And all of these adventures now reside only in memories. More's the pity.

Last edited:
This is for those of you who know SFC Ollie who was the very first member to join the Coffee Shop when it first opened and an important part of our family here for years, his beloved Colonel crossed the rainbow bridge today. Sending him and Mrs. O comfort and love.

12646886_10208885006701610_3632028231385615621_o.jpg
All the best wishes to Ollie and Colonel. No doubt he will be waiting at the rainbow bridge to cross over with his best buddy, Ollie! Sorry, Ollie.
This ^
Colonel was/is very handsome, and yes...he will patiently be awaiting at attention at Rainbow Bridge for Ollie. Well, when he hears his steps. Meanwhile, Colonel is at ease, rolling in mud and grass like a puppy and eating chocolate kisses given to him by a very nice man in a very muddy pawed white robe. :)

So freaking sad. As is Ollie. :(

Didn't get a whole lot done today, netted and brushed the pool, baked some more Kat Kookies, took a nap and played a few video games. Oh and made Sirloin Strip steaks for dinner.......
One thing I've been planning on doing is picking up a 30" plastic window box liner so I can soak my shotgun barrel in vinegar to remove the bluing. The only store around here that seems to have those is Home Depot and they're all on the far east and west sides of town not to mention in the really high traffic areas also that damn things are almost $10 each.
Well let's see, I have cardboard boxes, tape and large plastic bags........ I now have a heavy cardboard rectangular "bath", I'll slip one of the 30 gal bags tomorrow, drop in the barrel and cover it with vinegar....... outside...... :thup:

Good morning, coffee shoppers! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend! I took a few more pictures yesterday just before sunset because I wanted to capture the sparkling snow. You really can't see the sparkling, but the pictures are pretty nonetheless. Enjoy those of you who like the snow! :)

View attachment 62547 View attachment 62548 View attachment 62549 View attachment 62550
Looks like it should look here, but doesn't. It's slick ice and very little snow cover at all.

It snowed on and off again last night and most of the day today, but we didn't get a whole lot, thankfully.

It is an El Nino year. :)

Ugh, I'm not doing well with the free Java course I'm taking. I just got done with the third section. At the end of each section is an exam. At the end of section 1 I got a 90% on the exam. Section 2 I got a 75%. This time I got a 67%.

Admittedly, after I saw the correct answers and a little bit of the reasons for them, I understood, and one wrong question I really should have gotten right but I lost track of things, but still. That's a definite downward trend and I am thinking I may not be able to remember all of this programming crap; when I'm done (if I finish) will I have any clue how to do the basic things I learned in the beginning?

This is just making me pessimistic about my ability to finish any sort of degree and remember the majority of the information. It's not like I'm going to enjoy any class I take; it's just a means to an end, that being a job when I can't nanny anymore.

I'm intelligent enough to understand how things work (particularly with a good teacher, which admittedly I don't really have in this Java class) but I don't trust my memory for things I don't enjoy.

Ah, all the reasons that I'm not an overly happy person come to the fore when I have to worry about how I will deal with the future when my situation changes. :blowup:

On a happier note, the little one did great in karate today. She got new stripes on her belt and will be testing to go up in color next week. She's still a 6 year old girl who's only taken a dozen or so classes, but she does a very good job while she's with her sensei. If only I could get her to practice at home.....

Try taking notes by hand and then copying them all into another notebook. That really helped me remember things when I was going to school. :) Writing everything twice really helps you to retain the information. Also . . . practice, practice, practice as often as possible. I don't know about you, but the easiest way for me to learn is to actually do it, and repetition always helps.

Forum List

Back