USMB Coffee Shop IV

Making a bag similar to this one;

f9e87580ee7dc1225a16dbda014d7d53.jpg

A Victorian (1860s) travel bag. Most were made from linen, mine is being constructed out of canvas.

Oh yeah..I forgot to tell about my treasure find today when I stopped off at the thrift shop! I got a pair of black UGGS for...drumroll...a buck. Yes, REAL Uggs. Not much wear on them either! I could get 75 to 100 bucks for them on ebay but thems going on my feetsies!

OK I'm 100 posts behind and am too tired to go back and read everything I missed right now. I opened yesterday at 12:30. Poker started at 6 PM (made $165) About 7, my security guy called in sick. I took the shift and left Doc's at 3:30. Stopped for breakfast and was home about 5.
The school bus was turning around in front of the house by the time I went to bed. I was up at 9:30 with 3 hours sleep. Ran a couple errands, made a few calls and have been mostly relaxing.
I'll be back at Doc's by 8 for a likely interesting night. We are smack dab in the center of a tornado warning area. Add to that, heavy winds with gusts to 70 MPH and flood warnings are in the cards for us here. I'm thinking a slow night, but it'll be at least 3:00 before I get out of there. I plan on sleeping til at least noon tomorrow.
Dude!!! Yer gonna kill yerself if you keep doing this, ya know.
Naah I can handle it for a couple days. When we opened this place, I worked 16 or 18 hour days for a solid month.

A Victorian (1860s) travel bag. Most were made from linen, mine is being constructed out of canvas.
That's cool. Travel bag. Like...a backpack sorta thing? What goes in it?
From what I can determine it's the 1860s version of carry on luggage. Most likely it would hold basic necessities and a change of underwear. Here's what I found;
The traveling satchel was to contain grooming items, a mirror, reading material, “crackers, or sandwiches, if [the traveler would] be long enough upon the road to need a luncheon.” The carpet bag was to contain “a large shawl,…night clothes, and…clean linen,” and, if a woman was to sleep the night in a railcar, a warm woolen or silk nightcap was to replace her bonnet at bedtime.

http://www.geriwalton.com/index.php/2014/09/traveling-etiquette-and-tips-for/

From what I can determine it's the 1860s version of carry on luggage. Most likely it would hold basic necessities and a change of underwear. Here's what I found;
The traveling satchel was to contain grooming items, a mirror, reading material, “crackers, or sandwiches, if [the traveler would] be long enough upon the road to need a luncheon.” The carpet bag was to contain “a large shawl,…night clothes, and…clean linen,” and, if a woman was to sleep the night in a railcar, a warm woolen or silk nightcap was to replace her bonnet at bedtime.

http://www.geriwalton.com/index.php/2014/09/traveling-etiquette-and-tips-for/
yeah..i have heard of womens "satchel's" but guys usually just tied a bag together and hitched it over their shoulder.
So..whatcha making one for? Just for funzies?

OK I'm 100 posts behind and am too tired to go back and read everything I missed right now. I opened yesterday at 12:30. Poker started at 6 PM (made $165) About 7, my security guy called in sick. I took the shift and left Doc's at 3:30. Stopped for breakfast and was home about 5.
The school bus was turning around in front of the house by the time I went to bed. I was up at 9:30 with 3 hours sleep. Ran a couple errands, made a few calls and have been mostly relaxing.
I'll be back at Doc's by 8 for a likely interesting night. We are smack dab in the center of a tornado warning area. Add to that, heavy winds with gusts to 70 MPH and flood warnings are in the cards for us here. I'm thinking a slow night, but it'll be at least 3:00 before I get out of there. I plan on sleeping til at least noon tomorrow.
You need a couple of day break just to sleep and rest the brain and body. Stay safe!!! :thup:
I'll rest when I die. I come in at 4 tomorrow and I'm off Thursday.

Traveling Etiquette and Tips for Victorian Women
yeah..i have heard of womens "satchel's" but guys usually just tied a bag together and hitched it over their shoulder.
So..whatcha making one for? Just for funzies?
Guys would carry them also if it's all they had and it's one of the most underrepresented items in living history/reenactments. If this goes over well at the monthly event at Fort Stanton I might make and sell them (online) to the reenactment community. I will also make them out of the proper linen and wool twill tape.

I have peeps in Orange Beach right now. Ernie, Kat you two stay safe as well.
Come to find out, the Gulf Shores twister formed about 2 miles off shore and just barely made land. I'm hearing one hit Pensacola damaging an apartment complex and injuring 6.
Hope Kat checks in soon.

I am here. All is quiet now. It was nasty all day though.

Didja find me a place yet? :biggrin:

I have peeps in Orange Beach right now. Ernie, Kat you two stay safe as well.
Come to find out, the Gulf Shores twister formed about 2 miles off shore and just barely made land. I'm hearing one hit Pensacola damaging an apartment complex and injuring 6.
Hope Kat checks in soon.

I am here. Al is quiet now. It was nasty all day though.

Didja find me a place yet? :biggrin:

Seriously, I have been looking some. Lot of nice places in that town, and so close to the beach.
Ernie are going to be living together in around a year....oops..I mean in same town. :lol:

That will make for interesting company. I already told Ernie that I was heading that way too when the owner of this house says he wants it back...or dies and his relatives slap it on the market.

I'll be in the back forty though, keeping an eyeball out on Doc's in the wee hours since I'm a night owl.;)

Whoa...I spoke too soon. It is pouring rain and the wind is absolutely blasting. :(

Forum List

Back