USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have peeps in Orange Beach right now. Ernie, Kat you two stay safe as well.
Come to find out, the Gulf Shores twister formed about 2 miles off shore and just barely made land. I'm hearing one hit Pensacola damaging an apartment complex and injuring 6.
Hope Kat checks in soon.

I am here. All is quiet now. It was nasty all day though.

Didja find me a place yet? :biggrin:
There's a couple 2 or 3 acre places on my road. One lot is wooded and one has a single wide on it

I have peeps in Orange Beach right now. Ernie, Kat you two stay safe as well.
Come to find out, the Gulf Shores twister formed about 2 miles off shore and just barely made land. I'm hearing one hit Pensacola damaging an apartment complex and injuring 6.
Hope Kat checks in soon.

I am here. Al is quiet now. It was nasty all day though.

Didja find me a place yet? :biggrin:

Seriously, I have been looking some. Lot of nice places in that town, and so close to the beach.
Ernie are going to be living together in around a year....oops..I mean in same town. :lol:
Careful girl. I have a filthy mind.

Three inches on the ground this morning with 6-9 on the way. Very wet snow, so moving it should be a heart attack for some.

I do believe it's called Arrrr Conditionin'? lol. I used to live in Iowa for a short while. AWFUL humidity. I like small towns. Which is why I do love it here. I figure if we ever hafta move..we will just rent something else and keep getting roomies. But, it was nice to hear Ernie say "come on if you wanna come. Just pull yer own weight around here". Nothing scares me. And I mean nothing. Except being homeless. Which is why I bought the van. Now I am looking for a small trailer to pull. Where we go..our house goes with us. And I do like the pacific. Then again, I'm eyeballing wyoming too. Or maybe NM. Perhaps arizona, near Sedona. Like I said..who knows what will happen. One day at a time. :)

Actually, according to Sperling Best Places to live (they are on the internet) you can do a side by side comparison with your home town and Foley, Grace, and you will see that in every single category, the cost of living in Foley would be significantly less in Foley: utilities, medical, housing, groceries, everything. And no water restrictions in Foley. :) Cost of housing to buy or rent for instance in your area is triple what it is in Foley.

But you wouldn't be within walking distance of the beach and you probably would lose something in aesthetics. And the market for the furniture and stuff you do probably wouldn't be as lucrative.

Check it out here:
Best Places to Live | Compare cost of living, crime, cities, schools and more. Sperling's BestPlaces

Last edited:
Bad tornadoes in central Alabama last night though so hoping Kat does check in soon. I checked preliminary news reports and they're not reporting any serious injuries or deaths. Probably did screw up the power grid some though.

Signs that make you go hmmmm. . . .

6-86349-mm_signs2-1418408798.jpg

6-86354-mm_signs19-1418411816.jpg

6-86363-mm_signs7-1418412043.jpg

So Long, Farewell
Good thing that was already my plan!

Share This on Facebook?

Photo via Instagram

Last edited:
I do believe it's called Arrrr Conditionin'? lol. I used to live in Iowa for a short while. AWFUL humidity. I like small towns. Which is why I do love it here. I figure if we ever hafta move..we will just rent something else and keep getting roomies. But, it was nice to hear Ernie say "come on if you wanna come. Just pull yer own weight around here". Nothing scares me. And I mean nothing. Except being homeless. Which is why I bought the van. Now I am looking for a small trailer to pull. Where we go..our house goes with us. And I do like the pacific. Then again, I'm eyeballing wyoming too. Or maybe NM. Perhaps arizona, near Sedona. Like I said..who knows what will happen. One day at a time. :)
New Mexico would be my second choice where to live. Love the mountains, the food and the culture. An occasional snow storm I could deal with, but Wyoming? No way could I deal with that winter.

New Mexico would be my second choice where to live. Love the mountains, the food and the culture. An occasional snow storm I could deal with, but Wyoming? No way could I deal with that winter.

New Mexico does have much to commend it and much to condemn it. I couldn't handle Arizona desert summers--I don't do extreme heat well--and though I love snow and winter, I am at the age that the northern states would be a bit much for me. The thing about you folks who live near the ocean and have water running under your bridges though, the arid New Mexico terrain could seem a bit harsh--we have the least surface water in all 50 states. The high desert climate is pretty great--all four seasons but seldom extreme heat or extreme cold. Pretty pleasant most of the year. And there are mountains with glorious forests nearby and lakes to visit.

Actually, according to Sperling Best Places to live (they are on the internet) you can do a side by side comparison with your home town and Foley, Grace, and you will see that in every single category, the cost of living in Foley would be significantly less in Foley: utilities, medical, housing, groceries, everything. And no water restrictions in Foley. :) Cost of housing to buy or rent for instance in your area is triple what it is in Foley.

But you wouldn't be within walking distance of the beach and you probably would lose something in aesthetics. And the market for the furniture and stuff you do probably wouldn't be as lucrative.

Check it out here:
Best Places to Live | Compare cost of living, crime, cities, schools and more. Sperling's BestPlaces
If you owned property in Foley, you would save considerable on property taxes. I have a 2 BR 2 bath ranch on 3.5 acres. My tax bill is under $300/year. Of course, 8% sales tax on everything but perscriptions makes up for part of that, but my son in CT has a 3 BR 2 bath home on 1/4 acre and pays $4,000/year property tax and 6.35% sales tax. (food is non taxable.)

New Mexico does have much to commend it and much to condemn it. I couldn't handle Arizona desert summers--I don't do extreme heat well--and though I love snow and winter, I am at the age that the northern states would be a bit much for me. The thing about you folks who live near the ocean and have water running under your bridges though, the arid New Mexico terrain could seem a bit harsh--we have the least surface water in all 50 states. The high desert climate is pretty great--all four seasons but seldom extreme heat or extreme cold. Pretty pleasant most of the year. And there are mountains with glorious forests nearby and lakes to visit.
There's nothing quite like looking east from down town Albuquerque on a 75 degree April day and seeing snow on Sandia Peak.

Forum List

Back