USMB Coffee Shop IV

1421822574476.png
80986-Hump-Day-Camel.jpg

Making a bag similar to this one;

f9e87580ee7dc1225a16dbda014d7d53.jpg

A Victorian (1860s) travel bag. Most were made from linen, mine is being constructed out of canvas.
That's cool. Travel bag. Like...a backpack sorta thing? What goes in it?
From what I can determine it's the 1860s version of carry on luggage. Most likely it would hold basic necessities and a change of underwear. Here's what I found;
The traveling satchel was to contain grooming items, a mirror, reading material, “crackers, or sandwiches, if [the traveler would] be long enough upon the road to need a luncheon.” The carpet bag was to contain “a large shawl,…night clothes, and…clean linen,” and, if a woman was to sleep the night in a railcar, a warm woolen or silk nightcap was to replace her bonnet at bedtime.

Traveling Etiquette and Tips for Victorian Women
yeah..i have heard of womens "satchel's" but guys usually just tied a bag together and hitched it over their shoulder.
So..whatcha making one for? Just for funzies?
Guys would carry them also if it's all they had and it's one of the most underrepresented items in living history/reenactments. If this goes over well at the monthly event at Fort Stanton I might make and sell them (online) to the reenactment community. I will also make them out of the proper linen and wool twill tape.

hobo.gif
More my style......

train_on_bridge.jpg

Then once I reach my destination........

19d16ea75c37b522c509820b51cdff44.jpg

That's cool. Travel bag. Like...a backpack sorta thing? What goes in it?
From what I can determine it's the 1860s version of carry on luggage. Most likely it would hold basic necessities and a change of underwear. Here's what I found;
The traveling satchel was to contain grooming items, a mirror, reading material, “crackers, or sandwiches, if [the traveler would] be long enough upon the road to need a luncheon.” The carpet bag was to contain “a large shawl,…night clothes, and…clean linen,” and, if a woman was to sleep the night in a railcar, a warm woolen or silk nightcap was to replace her bonnet at bedtime.

yeah..i have heard of womens "satchel's" but guys usually just tied a bag together and hitched it over their shoulder.
Guys would carry them also if it's all they had and it's one of the most underrepresented items in living history/reenactments. If this goes over well at the monthly event at Fort Stanton I might make and sell them (online) to the reenactment community. I will also make them out of the proper linen and wool twill tape.

hobo.gif
More my style......

train_on_bridge.jpg

Oh wow. You and I are so on the same page. I hate Amtrak--I get claustrophobic and am uncomfortable at the high speeds it sometimes travels on track that I know isn't that well maintained. But I have had a lifelong love affair with steam engines and travel that way every chance I get. And horseback riding is my very favorite thing.

It is really cute, but would it be big enough for you and Mr. G and roomies? Or is your plan to just economize and forget the roomies?
I am sick and tired of roomies so no more. Just me and MrG. I hate big houses. I was raised in one. I like small and cozy. That little house looks perfect for us. Unfortunately, all I can do is dream about it. I might ask a friend of mine to put her name as co owner for a loan....which means I will be paying the mortgage, the utlities, everything..just like its MY house...but her name is one it too so, when MrG and I are dead and gone...she can do what she wants with it. Sell it, rent it out, whatever floats her boat. She will also get everything we own as well because that's all we have to give to the one that helps us out in such a matter. Kinda like a life estate with perks. WE pay everything (as long as it's within our budget)....SHE gets it back eventually, with improvements, and our personal belongings, furniture, collectibles and the like, 2 cars, money if we have any saved and all done through a lawyer for the agreement, our wills, etc. Win win. Problem is..I'm afraid to ask her. Such things can ruin a friendship. AND..it has to be a cheap enough property where the payments to eat, pay the mortgage, the utilities, maintenance of the home, we can afford. Which ain't much.
I've seen mobile homes in oregon where payments, with NO DOWN, were 217.00 per month! Problem is...they are in parks, and space rent is 300 and up per month. we can't do that, along with utilities and living expenses. Our SSI doesn't amount to much.

btw..I love the roomies I have. I am just tired of having people living WITH us. Under the same roof, so to speak. These two are great. Couldn't ask for more with them. But...I can't run to the kitchen in my skivvies for a cup of tea. I always have to make sure I am quiet too, cuz one works graveyards sometimes.

hobo.gif
More my style......

train_on_bridge.jpg

Oh wow. You and I are so on the same page. I hate Amtrak--I get claustrophobic and am uncomfortable at the high speeds it sometimes travels on track that I know isn't that well maintained. But I have had a lifelong love affair with steam engines and travel that way every chance I get. And horseback riding is my very favorite thing.
That's the Silverton & Durango Train, a "living" museum.

Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

It is really cute, but would it be big enough for you and Mr. G and roomies? Or is your plan to just economize and forget the roomies?
I am sick and tired of roomies so no more. Just me and MrG. I hate big houses. I was raised in one. I like small and cozy. That little house looks perfect for us. Unfortunately, all I can do is dream about it. I might ask a friend of mine to put her name as co owner for a loan....which means I will be paying the mortgage, the utlities, everything..just like its MY house...but her name is one it too so, when MrG and I are dead and gone...she can do what she wants with it. Sell it, rent it out, whatever floats her boat. She will also get everything we own as well because that's all we have to give to the one that helps us out in such a matter. Kinda like a life estate with perks. WE pay everything (as long as it's within our budget)....SHE gets it back eventually, with improvements, and our personal belongings, furniture, collectibles and the like, 2 cars, money if we have any saved and all done through a lawyer for the agreement, our wills, etc. Win win. Problem is..I'm afraid to ask her. Such things can ruin a friendship. AND..it has to be a cheap enough property where the payments to eat, pay the mortgage, the utilities, maintenance of the home, we can afford. Which ain't much.
I've seen mobile homes in oregon where payments, with NO DOWN, were 217.00 per month! Problem is...they are in parks, and space rent is 300 and up per month. we can't do that, along with utilities and living expenses. Our SSI doesn't amount to much.
buy some land as inexpensively as possible, go to the local (closest) college/university and ask for help in building a Cob, earthbag or a recycled materials house. Make sure you buy the property in a local that is friendly to alternative building practices and materials.

I would LOVE that house, Ringel.
Also;

You could get a propane tank for cooking and hot water, or a wood pellet stove for heat, cooking and hot water, composting toilet, home made solar panels and if you have a stream on the property with enough vertical drop you could install a cheap Pelton wheel to create electricity. If you're near enough to a power feed that can be hooked into you could do that except the cost goes up dramatically in installation, permits and construction fees.

buy some land as inexpensively as possible, go to the local (closest) college/university and ask for help in building a Cob, earthbag or a recycled materials house. Make sure you buy the property in a local that is friendly to alternative building practices and materials.

That second video is amazingly misleading. Earthbag homes are made from largely sandbags filled with dirt, but part of the reason they are so potentially cheap is you areexpected to build it yourself. A traditional house would be more expensive in materials, but I would think much, much cheaper if you built it yourself. :)

The biggest thing is that the pictures I've seen of earthbag homes are of domes that look very little like the traditional house type pictures from the video.

I can't have any kind of home unless it is already built. Too old to do it ourselves now. A shell of a home? Possibly if it is livable with a solid roof.
I wish I were younger. I'd buy the land and build my own dwelling. Too late now, though.

That second video is amazingly misleading. Earthbag homes are made from largely sandbags filled with dirt, but part of the reason they are so potentially cheap is you areexpected to build it yourself. A traditional house would be more expensive in materials, but I would think much, much cheaper if you built it yourself. :)

The biggest thing is that the pictures I've seen of earthbag homes are of domes that look very little like the traditional house type pictures from the video.

True, most earthbag nutters seem to like "beehives" and yes it's physically demanding to mix the clay and sand, fill the bags and place them which is why I recommended going to a university or college and enlisting help. Talk to the architectural/engineering departments, they might jump at the chance. As for building earthbag in a traditional home form one would need at least a pseudo post and beam or metal I frame to cover any space larger than 10 foot span to meet most building codes. As an alternative earthbag buttresses can be incorporated every 10 feet along the length of the wall, of course a concrete or wood bond beam would have to be installed along the top of the walls that are load bearing.

Snow started about 7am, we are at 8" ten and a half hours later. Still coming down.

Well stay safe and hydrated and only shovel a bit at a time or better yet use a snow blower. We had snow off and on all day yesterday and into the night and the Sandias really got a good bunch. At our elevation it was too warm to stick much and has already melted though.

6:45 to 9:55pm for the snow removal. About 6-8" of wet heavy stuff. It is still snowing with an additional 3" expected. I have four older customers who feel better about being able to get out if they need to. My back is tight right now, but should be fine by morning.

Forum List

Back