USMB Coffee Shop IV

By the way, I dragged out my old whirly pop and pop all my corn on the stove now. Why? I read the label on the microwave popcorn we had been buying - a whopping 5 grams of TRANS FAT plus additional saturated fat. I had read that the packaging also puts out toxic fumes. So. . .decided maybe the convenience of microwave popcorn wasn't such a good idea.

Nooooooooooooo...say it ain't sooooo :crybaby:

By the way, I dragged out my old whirly pop and pop all my corn on the stove now. Why? I read the label on the microwave popcorn we had been buying - a whopping 5 grams of TRANS FAT plus additional saturated fat. I had read that the packaging also puts out toxic fumes. So. . .decided maybe the convenience of microwave popcorn wasn't such a good idea.

Sure was so on the brands we had on hand. Some is better than others but almost all have some trans fat and all have preservative I am trying to avoid. Orville Redenbacher says they have eliminated trans fat from their microwave popcorn but the substitute adds more saturated fat than most brands have.

Microwave popcorn: Can it survive a trans fat ban?

Is microwave popcorn toxic?

Last edited:
al

Smart Food popcorn is good.

But doesn't it just come already popped in bags? But looking at the nutritional values, it doesn't look bad at all.

Sure was so on the brands we had on hand. Some is better than others but almost all have some trans fat and all have preservative I am trying to avoid. Orville Redenbacher says they have eliminated trans fat from their microwave popcorn but the substitute adds more saturated fat than most brands have.

Wasn't all micro popcorn ''ordered'' to remove trans fat? I remember something about that a while back..

So you use vegetable oil Foxfyre?

Coconut oil when I have it - a bit of canola oil when I don't. Those plus olive oil are the only fats I ever use to cook with. Air popping of course would be the best way to go but I just can't enjoy air popped corn like I do my old fashioned popped on the stove corn method.

We use something similar to this :
iu

Have to add butter to the popcorn after, even if it's just butter flavored spray, so the salt will stick. :)

I would probably prefer just the bagged microwave popcorn, it's easier and less cleaning, but my employer has the popper, so that's what we use.

Read my post #31588 - that microwave stuff is not at all healthy.

I add the salt immediately after the corn is popped. There is just enough hot oil and steam on the corn so the salt sufficiently sticks.

I do like the looks of your popper but how do you stir it and how does the steam get out? Mine is like this one:

th

I like a lot of salt on my popcorn, the oil/steam aren't enough for me. :p

The metal bar you can see in the picture spins around, moving the kernels. The top of the clear plastic cover has holes in it to allow steam to escape in ours.

You can't apply the salt with a salt shaker--too slow. Just use about a quarter handful of salt and distribute over the top of popcorn immediately when it has finished popping--I do pour the popcorn into the bowl first. Shake and the popcorn will be plenty salty. And yes, there is some residual salt in the bowl when the popcorn is all gone, but not a big deal--salt is plentiful and cheap. And you save a couple of hundred calories and some money from not using all that butter. But if calories or fat intake is not a concern, the butter is good. I just enjoy my popcorn without it.

Oh, and I just wipe out my Whirly Popper with a paper towel and stick it under the cabinet beside the stove. I wash it after every four or five uses or so.

I'm certainly not concerned with calories or fat. :) Not only am I not extremely health-conscious, I'm about 5'9" and weigh about 150 lbs. And that is having put on weight in the past few years. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I don't drench my popcorn in butter. I usually microwave some butter (margarine, actually) and pour it on right after popping. I sprinkle salt on from the shaker, use the top of the popcorn popper to cover the bowl with the popcorn in it, and shake it up. Then I'll use some butter flavored spray, add more salt, shake again. Depending on how much popcorn I've made, I might do that 3 or 4 times. I tend to make a lot of popcorn; I like large portions of my crunchy, dry snacks.

I don't care about the health of the bagged popcorns, but since my employer does, and has the popper, it's not too difficult for me to just use that. :D

Wasn't all micro popcorn ''ordered'' to remove trans fat? I remember something about that a while back..

The CS Monitor link I posted would suggest that, but I had three different brands here, all purchased in the last 90 days, and all had trans fat.

Coconut oil when I have it - a bit of canola oil when I don't. Those plus olive oil are the only fats I ever use to cook with. Air popping of course would be the best way to go but I just can't enjoy air popped corn like I do my old fashioned popped on the stove corn method.

We use something similar to this :
iu

Have to add butter to the popcorn after, even if it's just butter flavored spray, so the salt will stick. :)

I would probably prefer just the bagged microwave popcorn, it's easier and less cleaning, but my employer has the popper, so that's what we use.

Read my post #31588 - that microwave stuff is not at all healthy.

I add the salt immediately after the corn is popped. There is just enough hot oil and steam on the corn so the salt sufficiently sticks.

I do like the looks of your popper but how do you stir it and how does the steam get out? Mine is like this one:

th

I like a lot of salt on my popcorn, the oil/steam aren't enough for me. :p

The metal bar you can see in the picture spins around, moving the kernels. The top of the clear plastic cover has holes in it to allow steam to escape in ours.

You can't apply the salt with a salt shaker--too slow. Just use about a quarter handful of salt and distribute over the top of popcorn immediately when it has finished popping--I do pour the popcorn into the bowl first. Shake and the popcorn will be plenty salty. And yes, there is some residual salt in the bowl when the popcorn is all gone, but not a big deal--salt is plentiful and cheap. And you save a couple of hundred calories and some money from not using all that butter. But if calories or fat intake is not a concern, the butter is good. I just enjoy my popcorn without it.

Oh, and I just wipe out my Whirly Popper with a paper towel and stick it under the cabinet beside the stove. I wash it after every four or five uses or so.

I'm certainly not concerned with calories or fat. :) Not only am I not extremely health-conscious, I'm about 5'9" and weigh about 150 lbs. And that is having put on weight in the past few years. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I don't drench my popcorn in butter. I usually microwave some butter (margarine, actually) and pour it on right after popping. I sprinkle salt on from the shaker, use the top of the popcorn popper to cover the bowl with the popcorn in it, and shake it up. Then I'll use some butter flavored spray, add more salt, shake again. Depending on how much popcorn I've made, I might do that 3 or 4 times. I tend to make a lot of popcorn; I like large portions of my crunchy, dry snacks.

I don't care about the health of the bagged popcorns, but since my employer does, and has the popper, it's not too difficult for me to just use that. :D

:( I am hungry!!

The CS Monitor link I posted would suggest that, but I had three different brands here, all purchased in the last 90 days, and all had trans fat.
:( Well.. is Pops Secret one? I am sure it is...darn it.

:( Well.. is Pops Secret one? I am sure it is...darn it.

They were one that was pretty high in trans fat but looks like they have cleaned up their act - 1 gram now:
Calories in Pop Secret Homestyle Microwave Popcorn and Nutrition Facts

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Cops said I had to let her in the house. THIS is about to get ugly.

??? What's up Ernie?
Wife has been gone 5 months. She showed up today.

:( Hope your evening goes better.
I have a couple more hours of cooking to do. She's trying to sleep in the guest bedroom/office. It's a shame my TV is so loud....
If she has been gone 5 months...is that not considered abandonment? Cops shouldn't have told you that you had to let her in. It's a civil matter. Or should be.
Divorce is a civil matter, but if she hasn't been gone for 6 months, I had to let her in. If I tried to prevent her by force I would be arrested for assault. If she broke in, she couldn't be arrested because it is "the marital home". Funny thing is, the tires on her car are fair game for the same reason.

Two reasons she came back:

1. Wants to reconcile.
2. Wants you to be stupid, so she can call the police back.

Be smart and have a heart Ernie. Good things could happen.
The only good thing that could happen would be for her to leave again.

Well I hope it works out for the best. However it goes.

Some of you folks live in the aptly named "Sun Belt". Areas in this grand nation of ours bathed in warm sunshine for 100, 150, 200 days in the course of the year. That sunshine warms body and soul.

Life is different here in the Upper Ohio River valley. Here we are blessed to have sixty clear sunny days a year. We try to enjoy that sunshine when it comes. We are like coal miners or submariners or vampires.

What I found out the other day is one of the desperate stabs we make to rationalize our pasty skin and vitamin D deficiencies. Local sunset yesterday was at 6:05 p.m. The next time the sun sets BEFORE 6:00 is in mid November!

Thus are the lengths we will go to in order to justify living in a spot that is perpetually shrouded in clouds and precipitation is a given for damn near every day.

Some of you folks live in the aptly named "Sun Belt". Areas in this grand nation of ours bathed in warm sunshine for 100, 150, 200 days in the course of the year. That sunshine warms body and soul.

Life is different here in the Upper Ohio River valley. Here we are blessed to have sixty clear sunny days a year. We try to enjoy that sunshine when it comes. We are like coal miners or submariners or vampires.

What I found out the other day is one of the desperate stabs we make to rationalize our pasty skin and vitamin D deficiencies. Local sunset yesterday was at 6:05 p.m. The next time the sun sets BEFORE 6:00 is in mid November!

Thus are the lengths we will go to in order to justify living in a spot that is perpetually shrouded in clouds and precipitation is a given for damn near every day.

If I didn't know where you lived, I would have thought you were describing Seattle. :)

If I didn't know where you lived, I would have thought you were describing Seattle. :)
The difference between here and Seattle is the seafood is better there while the baseball is better here.

al

Smart Food popcorn is good.

But doesn't it just come already popped in bags? But looking at the nutritional values, it doesn't look bad at all.

Yes but it's good. :)

??? What's up Ernie?
Wife has been gone 5 months. She showed up today.

:( Hope your evening goes better.
I have a couple more hours of cooking to do. She's trying to sleep in the guest bedroom/office. It's a shame my TV is so loud....
If she has been gone 5 months...is that not considered abandonment? Cops shouldn't have told you that you had to let her in. It's a civil matter. Or should be.
Divorce is a civil matter, but if she hasn't been gone for 6 months, I had to let her in. If I tried to prevent her by force I would be arrested for assault. If she broke in, she couldn't be arrested because it is "the marital home". Funny thing is, the tires on her car are fair game for the same reason.

Didn't you ask her why she came back? I think that would be my very first question . . . why are you here? :)

The difference between here and Seattle is the seafood is better there while the baseball is better here.
Plus, we put fries on everything!

Forum List

Back