USMB Coffee Shop IV

12798890_177605135951679_8177460686447048142_n.jpg

You can never floss too much.

Literally just got home from a road trip fr the wife. Went up to Carrizozo for 3antique, junk shops, only one was open. Then went up to Lincoln and checked out some of the shops and sights there, it's all Billy the Kid........ go figure...... :lol: Not much was open because it's still "winter", 60s and sunshine........ :eusa_whistle:
Have an old top hat I picked up 20 years ago that was in terrible shape, stopped at Bronco Sues in Tularosa and they said they could clean it, restretch it, reblock it, put a sweatband back in it and a hat band back on it.
That hat sounds cool! Is it one of those collapsible you could snap it open and be the most dapper swell in the joint! The 'bee's knees'!

I'm channeling my inner Gary Cooper.
Nah, it's a standard 19th century top hat.

318rMEj1YQL.jpg
One word of advice, if I may. Don't wear that hat if you ever sit in a loge box at Ford's Theater.
I'm not tall enough, angular enough nor do I have a beard....... But I do have a mask and a rose....... :eusa_whistle:

e3fa3373f63e2b8a98af002d7d0a5461.jpg
operas are grand and swanky. But my out on the town ensemble is more casual.
hunch_1696572c.jpg
This is formal wear.

weird_fashion_640_11.jpg

We all need to chip in and buy some land. Have a commune.
Nah. we would kill each other. :lol:
Y'all don't need to buy any land. I have two hundred acres of birch and spruce forest. Oh,and some world class mountain views. You're welcome to lease a nice cabin (will build to suit).
Lease a cabin? How much is the lease? You'd hafta teach us the wild alaskan ways of compost toilets and stuff. And do you do tree houses? I'd be skeered of bears. Lots of bears in alaska, isn't there? Or...really thick logs for the cabin. :lol:
Lease would be negotiable for the right neighbors, we plan on being picky. I really haven't seen much bear sign around our place. Dogs tend to keep bears away. You'd be surprised how easy compost potties are. It's the wood burning that takes extra effort, but you can go for either wood pellets or coal, too. Or, the old propane fall back! Not much ocean front, though you might enjoy the Willow. As long as you weren't planning on having a sled dog kennel. I'm going to be rather picky about the number of dogs around. Dogs+livestock=potential problems.

That hat sounds cool! Is it one of those collapsible you could snap it open and be the most dapper swell in the joint! The 'bee's knees'!

318rMEj1YQL.jpg
One word of advice, if I may. Don't wear that hat if you ever sit in a loge box at Ford's Theater.
I'm not tall enough, angular enough nor do I have a beard....... But I do have a mask and a rose....... :eusa_whistle:

hunch_1696572c.jpg
This is formal wear.

weird_fashion_640_11.jpg

318rMEj1YQL.jpg

hunch_1696572c.jpg
This is formal wear.

weird_fashion_640_11.jpg
For what?

I cannot believe we're in our fourth day over 40F. Things are melting apace, most roads are in good condition. Only the driveway here and my goat pens are offering a challenge. I'm still wearing cleats to feed and water the goats and may still have to a few days yet. It's amazing that some of you are still dealing with snow storms, certainly. Of course, winter isn't over yet and we may still get clobbered. I'm just crossing my hooks and hoping that doesn't happen.
Finally caught up in the CS again and now it's time to grab some shuteye before embarking on yet another exciting night at work. I hope everyone here has a great weekend.

318rMEj1YQL.jpg

hunch_1696572c.jpg
This is formal wear.

weird_fashion_640_11.jpg

318rMEj1YQL.jpg

hunch_1696572c.jpg
This is formal wear.

weird_fashion_640_11.jpg
For what?
Why, a Democrat Convention.

Y'all don't need to buy any land. I have two hundred acres of birch and spruce forest. Oh,and some world class mountain views. You're welcome to lease a nice cabin (will build to suit).
Lease a cabin? How much is the lease? You'd hafta teach us the wild alaskan ways of compost toilets and stuff. And do you do tree houses? I'd be skeered of bears. Lots of bears in alaska, isn't there? Or...really thick logs for the cabin. :lol:
Lease would be negotiable for the right neighbors, we plan on being picky. I really haven't seen much bear sign around our place. Dogs tend to keep bears away. You'd be surprised how easy compost potties are. It's the wood burning that takes extra effort, but you can go for either wood pellets or coal, too. Or, the old propane fall back! Not much ocean front, though you might enjoy the Willow. As long as you weren't planning on having a sled dog kennel. I'm going to be rather picky about the number of dogs around. Dogs+livestock=potential problems.
2 old people that need 2 separate rooms so I would take the living room since I sleep in a recliner, the mister would take the bedroom. 2 old dogs that love cats, goats, chickens (especially the poop when they boop their butts and the chicken is surprised and pops out a treat). :lol:
Small one bedroom would suffice. NO STAIRS. We are too creaky to climb them.:lol:

2 old people that need 2 separate rooms so I would take the living room since I sleep in a recliner, the mister would take the bedroom. 2 old dogs that love cats, goats, chickens (especially the poop when they boop their butts and the chicken is surprised and pops out a treat). :lol:
Small one bedroom would suffice. NO STAIRS. We are too creaky to climb them.:lol:

upload_2016-2-26_22-58-43.png

th

113275915_ea65c41aeb.jpg

Good morning. Catching up for a bit before I have to get out and about--a jaunt to the farmer's market is on the schedule this morning--out of fresh fruit and produce. Weather continues warm and sunny here, but we did have a hard freeze night before last that nipped all those early blooming flowers. Hope everybody is having a pleasant Saturday.

Fox--

It's so thoughtful that you bring everyone to mind at the end of the day.

I love that about you.

Dhara

Thank you, Dhara. The vigil list is almost as old as the Coffee Shop. Harper, the first name on the list, and Save's beautiful granddaughter, was born with so many problems requiring a series of painful surgeries and we mentioned her each evening so that we would be reminded to include her in our prayers or send encouraging vibes. And then another was added and then another, and soon it became a permanent fixture. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

My thoughts turned yesterday to my sainted Aunt Pauline and her husband, Uncle Clarence. They lived across the river in the uppermost stretches of the northern West Virginia panhandle. Pauline was my paternal grandmother's sister. She and Clarence worked at the now defunct Taylor Smith and Taylor (TS&T) pottery as finishers. They worked piece work decorating dinner plates and saucers and cups and salad plates and platters and gravy boats with decals and/or stripes of gold paint along rims and handles. It was skilled work and they were paid by the piece. Of course they were Cracker Jack decorators and made a comfortable living.

Pauline wasn't graced with a lot of feminine charms and guile. She was more grounded and earthy. She would sit with her knees apart but the front of her dress or skirt was anchored down with her pocket book or a plate of pastry to provide a modicum of modesty. She was plain spoken and devastatingly funny.

One day at the pottery, Uncle Clarence was off put by a remark made by his supervisor. "C'mon Pauline! We're quitting!" he announced.

"See ya at the house!" Pauline answered. She then continued her work.

Thus ended Uncle Clarence's early retirement.

The little village of Chester, West Virginia that was their home had a little amusement park. A 'trolley park' is how it was termed. The trolley system that ran through Chester and across the bridge to East Liverpool, Ohio where I live today, built a picnic grounds in Chester called Rock Springs Park. It expanded to include a penny arcade, a magnificent dance hall, a carrousel, roller coaster and eventually a kiddie land with miniature rides for little shavers.

The park closed in 1973 to be demolished to make room for the new four lane bridge between West Virginia and Ohio. The bridge carries US Route 30 across the river and then westward through Ohio.

They held an auction in 1974 just before the bull dozers erased away yet another piece of our local history. I thought it would be a great chance to buy one of the old pinball or pachinko machines. So I went to the auction only to be disappointed to find all that cool stuff had been sold previously. What they were going to auction were the buildings and the roller coaster.

The dance hall sold first for $5,000 presumably for the rock hard maple dance floor. The roller coaster was the next item on the block.

The auctioneer explained that a $5,000 surety bond had to be posted by the buyer to assure the demolition of the coaster would not impede the land surveyors as they staked out the approaches and abutments for the new bridge.

"Who'll give me $1,000 to start the bidding?" asked the auctioneer.

Not one hand went up.

"Who'll make it $500?"

Nothing.

"$100?"

I started to raise my hand. I was 18 and a legitimate bidder. I was also precocious and had $100 in my pocket, but nothing like $5,000 for a bond.

"$100 says the gentleman down front! Who'll make it $150?"

I was not the gentleman down front. I was the kid in the back.

"$100 once, $100 twice, sold to the gentleman down front for $100!"

I don't know to this day how I could have asked Pop for that $5,000 bond or what we were going to do with a roller coaster!

Forum List

Back