USMB Coffee Shop IV

Basically we've decided, regardless as to whether or not the wife gets this job, we will be moving to New Mexico. Albuquerque offers the best opportunities for jobs but we'd both honestly prefer the Alamogordo/Tularosa area.

I would think employment opportunities would be much more limited in Alamogordo/Tularosa area, but the cost of living would be somewhat less than the Albuquerque area too. New Mexico wages tend to trend low in the private sector, and Albuquerque is no different, but a lot of people manage to make a living here and they keep coming. I'm sure you've read all the reviews and there are a LOT of negative views.

But. . .we have lived in the Albuquerque metro area since late 1984. . .we have found vendors who provide excellent service, we have hired excellent contractors, and we have enjoyed as good medical care as you can get anywhere these days. We have never had a house or car broken into, and none of us in the family have ever been mugged or robbed--I was assaulted once by a transient homeless guy years ago when working for the Conference of Churches located at the edge of Albuquerque's 'war zone', but I was able to get away from him without any injury. Absolutely no other incidents of that type. (I did quit that job shortly after.)

We haven't found Albuquerque drivers to be better or worse than any other big cities we visit. (They are especially bad on our very rare wet or slick streets as we so seldom have those, lots of folks have never learned how to drive on them.)

I think disagreeable people will find something disagreeable about most places. I think agreeable people who obey the law and avoid compromising situations and who treat others pleasantly and graciously here, will find people pleasant and gracious here.

Good Morning everyone !

Monday's grin

funny-animals-413.jpg

I wanted to spray paint my outdoor chairs and table yesterday, but it was too windy. Then I thought, oh well, I'll just do it tomorrow. It's even MORE windy today. Grrrr. I guess I'll have to do it tomorrow. Now watch, it will rain or something tomorrow. Lol. I left them outdoors all winter and now there are some rust spots and stuff on them.

Daisy the Mutt and I took our daily walk in the park yesterday. I wore a long sleeve sweatshirt. I should have worn more! Mid-May and we endured a sleet storm as we walked. It felt more like mid-October.

The lawn needs to be mowed again. But I reason if I have to bundle up just to cut the grass, the grass can wait.

Basically we've decided, regardless as to whether or not the wife gets this job, we will be moving to New Mexico. Albuquerque offers the best opportunities for jobs but we'd both honestly prefer the Alamogordo/Tularosa area.
Stay away from Alamogordo the giant ants might still be there. Not sure if you will get the movie reference .

Fox spotting just took a turn for the worse. The neighbours have a new dog. It was out in the garden just now and the fox cubs are trapped in their lair.

Bummer. Is there no humane association or something like that where you are that could rescue the cubs? They'll starve if the dog keeps mother fox away.

Fox spotting just took a turn for the worse. The neighbours have a new dog. It was out in the garden just now and the fox cubs are trapped in their lair.

Bummer. Is there no humane association or something like that where you are that could rescue the cubs? They'll starve if the dog keeps mother fox away.

The cubs come out at night so I figure they will be ok, but I am keeping a close eye on them. I look out of the window every few minutes hoping for a good photo.

I would think employment opportunities would be much more limited in Alamogordo/Tularosa area, but the cost of living would be somewhat less than the Albuquerque area too. New Mexico wages tend to trend low in the private sector, and Albuquerque is no different, but a lot of people manage to make a living here and they keep coming. I'm sure you've read all the reviews and there are a LOT of negative views.

But. . .we have lived in the Albuquerque metro area since late 1984. . .we have found vendors who provide excellent service, we have hired excellent contractors, and we have enjoyed as good medical care as you can get anywhere these days. We have never had a house or car broken into, and none of us in the family have ever been mugged or robbed--I was assaulted once by a transient homeless guy years ago when working for the Conference of Churches located at the edge of Albuquerque's 'war zone', but I was able to get away from him without any injury. Absolutely no other incidents of that type. (I did quit that job shortly after.)

We haven't found Albuquerque drivers to be better or worse than any other big cities we visit. (They are especially bad on our very rare wet or slick streets as we so seldom have those, lots of folks have never learned how to drive on them.)

I think disagreeable people will find something disagreeable about most places. I think agreeable people who obey the law and avoid compromising situations and who treat others pleasantly and graciously here, will find people pleasant and gracious here.
We have no problem with Albuquerque and the wife just told me while she likes Alamogordo (and the giant ants......... Them!!!) she doesn't want to live there indefinately. She's also thinking about Phoenix but I'm not sure she can handle the summer heat there. Yeah, wages are definitely smaller but ya just live within your means and your generally good to go. She likes her day trips and we've pretty much done everything here besides Albuquerque is closer to many other areas than "stuck in the middle of nowhere" El Paso........ :D

Stay away from Alamogordo the giant ants might still be there. Not sure if you will get the movie reference .
One of my favorite movies when I was a kid. :thup:

images

images
I have nice collection of those 50s monster movies.

images
I have nice collection of those 50s monster movies.
:thup:

When returning home from north we come over a rise just before we drop down to our turn into the neighborhood, at the top of the rise downtown El Paso all the way into Mexico. Coming back from Wally World earlier today as I topped the rise the view of Mexico was obliterated and downtown El Paso was barely visible, now I look outside and the sky is brown. Yup it's windy and we're in the middle of a dust storm.

A bit breezy here right now but no discernible blowing dust. Bright blue sky dotted with a few fluffy white clouds.

But I have to go bake cookies now, part of a gift for a friend for her birthday party at Texas Land & Cattle tonight.

Forum List

Back