USMB Coffee Shop IV

I loaded my camera, set the focus and light exposure correctly, and now there is not a fox in sight.
Digital.......

I am a traditional photographer, I use a 35mm film, Pentax spotmatic F. The only Pentax you can still get batteries for the light meter. I did not have a film loaded in it and by the time I loaded it and fitted the telephoto lens the foxes were gone.

I have a small cheap digital camera I purchased on a TV shopping channel but I only took a few pictures with it and I can't remember how it works, so I would have to read the manual. But it does not have a telephoto lens so it would be of no use for taking close ups of foxes from an upstairs window.

My Pentax telephoto zoom lens focuses down on the garden and is ideal for the shot. But I don't suppose the chance will ever come again. I am going to wait by the window at the same time tomorrow in the hope the foxes have a regular feeding time. but I doubt it.

I loaded my camera, set the focus and light exposure correctly, and now there is not a fox in sight.
Digital.......

I am a traditional photographer, I use a 35mm film, Pentax spotmatic F. The only Pentax you can still get batteries for the light meter. I did not have a film loaded in it and by the time I loaded it and fitted the telephoto lens the foxes were gone.

I have a small cheap digital camera I purchased on a TV shopping channel but I only took a few pictures with it and I can't remember how it works, so I would have to read the manual. But it does not have a telephoto lens so it would be of no use for taking close ups of foxes from an upstairs window.

My Pentax telephoto zoom lens focuses down on the garden and is ideal for the shot. But I don't suppose the chance will ever come again. I am going to wait by the window at the same time tomorrow in the hope the foxes have a regular feeding time. but I doubt it.
Unfortunately the good digitals aren't cheap especially the ones with the changeable lenses and auto focus. The cheapest prices on those are still $150 to $200 (US) not including the extra lenses.
Not sure if it's the same with Pentax but My Nikon D40 uses all the Nikon and Nikkor lenses I already owned but my digital is it's still manual focus. I paid of $400 (US) for it almost a decade ago. About a week after I bought it it was obsolete. :lol:

Damn and blast it. I am all twitchy, going to the window every few minutes to see if the foxes are back. But the probability is I will never get a chance at a picture like that again. I could have taken an award winning photo of the six fox cubs under their mother, and the male fox standing guard in front. But I don't suppose it will ever happen again.

I feel your pain.

Back in the days when everybody was still using traditional film and cameras, we spent a wonderful summer--four months in West Virginia--where Hombre was totally immersed in an intensive photography course--six to eight hours a day spent learning that trade, five days a week, for the whole four months. And he spent his weekends taking photos that he would than develop, size, touch up etc. in the studio. I tagged along on the photo shoots with my own camera getting shots for freelance articles and a memory album.

So we were at one of West Virginia's many gorgeous state parks on a large deck overlooking a magnificent scene. Hombre had his view camera set up--that is one of those very large format cameras that comes with a black tent like cover that goes over the photographer like this--his was a considerably newer model than this one:

upload_2016-5-14_9-29-39.png

They make crystal sharp photos with incredible detail that you can enlarge forever without the picture becoming blurry.

Anyhow he had the camera set up on the rail of the deck and was under the black cloth focusing. I was sitting maybe 10 feet away with my own small Pentax camera when I noticed an old gentleman in spotless white pants, a bright red shirt, and a golf cap moving up beside Hombre's camera, going to the rail and leaning way out trying to look into the front of the view camera. The framing, angle, and lighting for a brilliant candid shot was right in front of me and I got it. Perfection. Until I went to advance the film. No film in the camera. :(

Last edited:
Digital.......

Unfortunately the good digitals aren't cheap especially the ones with the changeable lenses and auto focus. The cheapest prices on those are still $150 to $200 (US) not including the extra lenses.
Not sure if it's the same with Pentax but My Nikon D40 uses all the Nikon and Nikkor lenses I already owned but my digital is it's still manual focus. I paid of $400 (US) for it almost a decade ago. About a week after I bought it it was obsolete. :lol:

I recently thought of buying a secondhand Nikon film camera thinking they would be cheap as most people have gone digital. But the only Nikon I saw was £450. As I already have a good usable camera with a collection of lenses I did not buy it.
I could buy a new digital Nikon with an extra telephoto lens for under £400 but I probably won't bother because I am happy using my Pentax. I have a scanner, so I can scan my photos to put them on the internet.

Damn and blast it. I am all twitchy, going to the window every few minutes to see if the foxes are back. But the probability is I will never get a chance at a picture like that again. I could have taken an award winning photo of the six fox cubs under their mother, and the male fox standing guard in front. But I don't suppose it will ever happen again.

I feel your pain.

Back in the days when everybody was still using traditional film and cameras, we spent a wonderful summer--four months in West Virginia--where Hombre was totally immersed in an intensive photography course--six to eight hours a day spent learning that trade, five days a week, for the whole four months. And he spent his weekends taking photos that we would than develop, size, touch up etc. in the studio.

So we were at one of West Virginia's many gorgeous state parks on a large deck overlooking a magnificent scene. Hombre had his view camera set up--that is one of those very large format cameras that comes with a black tent like cover that goes over the photographer like this--his was a considerably newer model than this one:

View attachment 74777

They make crystal sharp photos with incredible detail that you can enlarge forever without the picture becoming blurry.

Anyhow he had the camera set up on the rail of the deck and was under the black cloth focusing. I was sitting maybe 10 feet away with my own small Pentax camera when I noticed an old gentleman in spotless white pants, a bright red shirt, and a golf cap moving up beside Hombre's camera, going to the rail and leaning way out trying to look into the front of the view camera. The framing, angle, and lighting for a brilliant candid shot was right in front of me and I got it. Perfection. Until I went to advance the film. No film in the camera. :(

Yea, that reminds me of another shot I missed. I saw an old man with a shock of long white hair sitting in a shop doorway looking out, and behind him were mountains of sheet music. It would have made a great shot but I did not have a camera with me.

Digital.......

I recently thought of buying a secondhand Nikon film camera thinking they would be cheap as most people have gone digital. But the only Nikon I saw was £450. As I already have a good usable camera with a collection of lenses I did not buy it.
I could buy a new digital Nikon with an extra telephoto lens for under £400 but I probably won't bother because I am happy using my Pentax. I have a scanner, so I can scan my photos to put them on the internet.
I resisted going digital for years but when I missed a few good shots just because of the same situation you were faced with I bit the bullet. Worse thing is I rarely use it any more but I do have plans to start using it again, primarily to take pictures of scenes I want to transfer to canvas/art-board.

HOORAY ! The fox babies all came out in the garden, I got a shot with all six in the picture, but it was nothing like as good as the one where they were feeding under their mother. They obviously are living under the neighbours patio as they all went down there while I was watching. So there is still hope of getting a great pic.

Edit; The more I think about it the more I think I missed a truly great picture. The sort that wins competitions and gets into nature magazines. So I am living in hope I get another chance.

Last edited:
Oh my God ! I cannot tear myself away from the window now, in the hope of seeing the foxes again. I am up and down out of my chair every couple of minutes. I expect I will have to keep watch until the puppies grow up and leave home.

UN - BLOODY believable, The foxes came out again at dusk, and there are seven cubs, not six. They started feeding but in the wrong place and there was a fence in the way. I used up over half my film taking shots in poor light and with a poor composition. So I have to save the rest of the film until tomorrow in case I get a better shot. I don't know where to buy film on Sunday, so I will have to save it for that special shot.

Ps, I just put batteries in my little digital camera and it does have a zoom feature which gives a close up picture, so I will try to take some digital pictures and post them.

pps. I took a photo of the adult foxes both looking up at me checking me out. They saw me but they were not scared.

Last edited:
Buggering bloody hell ! I just read some info on my digital camera and its software, and it said if you install the wrong software it can not only corrupt windows, but damage your hardware. Like I am going to risk that.
The software was written for windows XP .
The camera I have is a vivitar vivicam 7690 but if I cannot load the photos on my computer it is junk.

I am now thinking of getting a new digital Nikon. They are under £400 and I assume they come with reliable software that works on windows 10.

Buggering bloody hell ! I just read some info on my digital camera and its software, and it said if you install the wrong software it can not only corrupt windows, but damage your hardware. Like I am going to risk that.
The software was written for windows XP .
The camera I have is a vivitar vivicam 7690 but if I cannot load the photos on my computer it is junk.

I am now thinking of getting a new digital Nikon. They are under £400 and I assume they come with reliable software that works on windows 10.
Vivitar ViviCam 7690 Drivers Download - Update Vivitar Software

I am looking at an advert for a Nikon D3300 , but I am out of my depth. I do not know if it has software that runs on windows. I take it you have to fit a memory card. There is some talk of it needing a wifi adaptor. But I don't know what that is. I just want to be able to plug it into my computer and load down JPeg pictures.

Oh my God ! I cannot tear myself away from the window now, in the hope of seeing the foxes again. I am up and down out of my chair every couple of minutes. I expect I will have to keep watch until the puppies grow up and leave home.
Bait is your friend....

Well another neighbor moved. Next door. Knew this was coming. Told me they were only there for a yr when they moved in. Moved 45 min away to get a "lake" house as they described it cept its not, its across the the street with limited view. Gonna regret that if gas goes back up. Anyway been waiting to see who moves in next. Noticed this week there finally was a car in the drive. Next day a different car ands so it goes. May start taking pics of the cars and plates, then go ask the association what the hell is going on. Windows are all covered. One I can see has a Halloween type throw that seems to billow a lot like there is a fan running in close proximity.

Well another neighbor moved. Next door. Knew this was coming. Told me they were only there for a yr when they moved in. Moved 45 min away to get a "lake" house as they described it cept its not, its across the the street with limited view. Gonna regret that if gas goes back up. Anyway been waiting to see who moves in next. Noticed this week there finally was a car in the drive. Next day a different car ands so it goes. May start taking pics of the cars and plates, then go ask the association what the hell is going on. Windows are all covered. One I can see has a Halloween type throw that seems to billow a lot like there is a fan running in close proximity.

Hmmm. That sounds rather intriguing . Of course it is more intriguing being your neighbor than it would be if it was mine. Let us know who or what moved in.

I feel your pain.

Back in the days when everybody was still using traditional film and cameras, we spent a wonderful summer--four months in West Virginia--where Hombre was totally immersed in an intensive photography course--six to eight hours a day spent learning that trade, five days a week, for the whole four months. And he spent his weekends taking photos that we would than develop, size, touch up etc. in the studio.

View attachment 74777

Yea, that reminds me of another shot I missed. I saw an old man with a shock of long white hair sitting in a shop doorway looking out, and behind him were mountains of sheet music. It would have made a great shot but I did not have a camera with me.
Ever nailed one that you sold. Customer of mines wife shot something on their vacation, cant remember what........when they got home neighbor who is a pro photog bought it off her for $600

I am looking at an advert for a Nikon D3300 , but I am out of my depth. I do not know if it has software that runs on windows. I take it you have to fit a memory card. There is some talk of it needing a wifi adaptor. But I don't know what that is. I just want to be able to plug it into my computer and load down JPeg pictures.
You don't need camera specific software, all you need is a photo viewer software.

Three impressive alternatives to Photo Viewer in Windows 10

You hook up the camera via a USB port, your computer recognizes what it is and asks you what do if you don't already have a default action set up. Windows should ask you if you want to upload to the computer, if it doesn't look in Windows Explorer, find your camera, and start opening directories till you find DCIM file. That's where the images are stored on the camera.

Ever nailed one that you sold. Customer of mines wife shot something on their vacation, cant remember what........when they got home neighbor who is a pro photog bought it off her for $600

I have taken a lot of photos in my time, but I never tried to sell any. I have sold some paintings though.

Hmmm. That sounds rather intriguing . Of course it is more intriguing being your neighbor than it would be if it was mine. Let us know who or what moved in.
Sounds like a crack house.

You don't need camera specific software, all you need is a photo viewer software.

Three impressive alternatives to Photo Viewer in Windows 10

You hook up the camera via a USB port, your computer recognizes what it is and asks you what do do if you don't already have a default action set up. Windows should ask you if you want to upload to the computer, if it doesn't look in Windows Explorer, find your camera, and start opening directories till you find DCIM file. That's where the images are stored on the camera.

Thanks, I am now planning on loading my cheap vivitar camera on my old computer running windows xp, which is expendable. I do not intend to risk my new computer on software that warns you it could damage your hardware. My old computer has lots of software like photoshop on it, and a scanner. So I might as well fire it up.
With any luck I will get it up and running tomorrow, and get some digital pics of the fox cubs.

Forum List

Back