USMB Coffee Shop IV

She didn't start painting seriously until she was 78 years old but her paintings are now worth hundreds of thousands

Yes, I am a negative thinker, and may yet have a couple of decades to do some good paintings. I am warming to the idea, and even thinking of doing some exercise to keep myself alive for a bit longer.
For the last few years pretty well all I have done is watch TV without getting out of a chair.

Then paint my friend. You do some good stuff whether you like or not. And even if you don't produce what you hope for, if it gives you pleasure, do it.

That's one of the problems, it doesn't give me pleasure, its a struggle. Added to that I cannot reach the quality I desire. I see everything I have done as third rate. Never the less I am warming to the idea of trying to paint some final works worthy of the trouble before kicking off this mortal coil. I just spent ten minutes on my exercise bike for the first time in years, and I plan to try to get fitter by doing a small amount of exercise several times a day.

Tomorrow I am going in search of some wood long and straight enough to draw perspective lines on a five foot canvas. It may entail a long walk as I can get a bus into town , but I probably will have to walk back because of not being able to get the wood on a bus. So that will kill two birds with one stone, as I will get some exercise as well as some wood.

Well we all do what we feel we must, but in my opinion you have three options:

1. Do it without joy because you must.

2. Choose to do it with joy regardless of the outcome.

3. Or choose not to do it because it is not something that give you joy.

It isn't as if world peace or the end of the world or something else of importance is dependent upon your work. But you do have a gift. I'll give you the same counsel I gave Chris--you understand this is the opinionated, bossy, presumptious Mama Fox motif we're dealing with here--: don't demand perfection but paint for the sheer joy of painting. And if there is no joy, then seek that which gives you joy.

In my opinon, that which gives us joy is what we are born to do.

338986.jpg

I just did a google for cathedral and found this. Its exactly what I was looking for, and an approximation of this would be a great background for some angels. Now I have another problem, because I don't have a printer on my new computer so I cannot print it out. I will have to invest in a printer real soon.

She didn't start painting seriously until she was 78 years old but her paintings are now worth hundreds of thousands

Yes, I am a negative thinker, and may yet have a couple of decades to do some good paintings. I am warming to the idea, and even thinking of doing some exercise to keep myself alive for a bit longer.
For the last few years pretty well all I have done is watch TV without getting out of a chair.

Then paint my friend. You do some good stuff whether you like or not. And even if you don't produce what you hope for, if it gives you pleasure, do it.

That's one of the problems, it doesn't give me pleasure, its a struggle. Added to that I cannot reach the quality I desire. I see everything I have done as third rate. Never the less I am warming to the idea of trying to paint some final works worthy of the trouble before kicking off this mortal coil. I just spent ten minutes on my exercise bike for the first time in years, and I plan to try to get fitter by doing a small amount of exercise several times a day.

Tomorrow I am going in search of some wood long and straight enough to draw perspective lines on a five foot canvas. It may entail a long walk as I can get a bus into town , but I probably will have to walk back because of not being able to get the wood on a bus. So that will kill two birds with one stone, as I will get some exercise as well as some wood.

It isn't as if world peace or the end of the world or something else of importance is dependent upon your work. But you do have a gift. I'll give you the same counsel I gave Chris--you understand this is the opinionated, bossy, presumptious Mama Fox motif we're dealing with here--: don't demand perfection but paint for the sheer joy of painting. And if there is no joy, then seek that which gives you joy.

I always felt it was my destiny to paint some inspiring pictures to beautify the world, and If I don't do it in this life I will have to reincarnate.
I don't want to reincarnate, so I thinks its time to get on with some work.

View attachment 74514

I just did a google for cathedral and found this. Its exactly what I was looking for, and an approximation of this would be a great background for some angels. Now I have another problem, because I don't have a printer on my new computer so I cannot print it out. I will have to invest in a printer real soon.

Meanwhile just favorite it on your browser so you can get back to it at will. That is gorgeous though.

Speaking of painting...boy, am I paying for yesterdays dresser! This is awful. Can't bend my left thumb at all and it all swollen and throbbing. The joint is having a major cow. Sigh.

But...I am going to try a new hobby for extra cash! DOG SITTING! People who board their dogs while they are at work can bring them to my house. And I am beating the competition price wise! Contacted the local vets to let them know, and now I wait. House full of dogs and/or cats during the day..they all go home at night and I get paid to spoil them rotten! If they need me to dog sit while they go on vacay...I will do that too.

Plus..NO MORE ROOMIES! Just critters!

I have thought about doing that too. We dog sit for friends and family--not for money--all the time and it is a pure joy. We have a lovely little mini dachshund living with us for a few days right now. But be sure to check with somebody who knows what liability you might be taking on, and make sure you get some iron clad contracts for the owners to sign to make it more difficult for them to sue you if something should go wrong.

Whenever I've tried to paint or draw, it comes out looking like a 3rd grader did it! :lol: I tried doing several craft projects in the past that involved painting on glass. Oh boy! Lol. Needless to say, I never displayed THOSE pieces. :D

You are probably too self critical, and you should get other peoples input to see what they think of your work.
I feel the same way about most of my stuff. Which is why I have not bothered to paint for years. I did not want to do any more unfinished third rate pictures that someone will throw into a skip when I die. But I recently had a picture flash into my head, and wanted to realise it as a finished painting. I thought if I finish a few large pictures and donate them to the 'art in hospitals project' they will be on display in public buildings, and they won't get thrown away. I just think I may have left it too late because I am 70 years old next month, and I lack the energy I used to have. Painting several large sized pictures (four feet to six feet wide) will be a bit of an undertaking.
I have seven large canvases, two of which I will finish and keep (they are abstracts) then I have three unfinished pictures I am going to paint over, and I have two pieces of blank canvas four feet by five feet. So my aim is to finish seven pictures and give them to the hospitals.
If that ever happens it will be the work of years, and if I finish them I could stretch some more canvas. I made my own stretcher frames and I could do it again if I can find a wood shop, because the one I used closed down.

Lol. Not at all. I am just plain old not good at painting and stuff like that. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

Whenever I've tried to paint or draw, it comes out looking like a 3rd grader did it! :lol: I tried doing several craft projects in the past that involved painting on glass. Oh boy! Lol. Needless to say, I never displayed THOSE pieces. :D

We are all our worst critics of our own work though. So if it gives you pleasure, do it even if you don't like the results and even if they don't look like Monets or Rembrandts or Van Goghs to you. I always look at Grandma Moses stuff and just shake my head at how simple and childish looking they are--things not carefully drawn, little or no perspective to speak of, primary colors--and yet they are all compelling. She didn't start painting seriously until she was 78 years old but her paintings are now worth hundreds of thousands. I think one sold for something like $1.2 million.

One of her paintings:

View attachment 74506

No, I seriously suck at that kind of stuff. :lol:

Speaking of painting...boy, am I paying for yesterdays dresser! This is awful. Can't bend my left thumb at all and it all swollen and throbbing. The joint is having a major cow. Sigh.

But...I am going to try a new hobby for extra cash! DOG SITTING! People who board their dogs while they are at work can bring them to my house. And I am beating the competition price wise! Contacted the local vets to let them know, and now I wait. House full of dogs and/or cats during the day..they all go home at night and I get paid to spoil them rotten! If they need me to dog sit while they go on vacay...I will do that too.

Plus..NO MORE ROOMIES! Just critters!

I have thought about doing that too. We dog sit for friends and family--not for money--all the time and it is a pure joy. We have a lovely little mini dachshund living with us for a few days right now. But be sure to check with somebody who knows what liability you might be taking on, and make sure you get some iron clad contracts for the owners to sign to make it more difficult for them to sue you if something should go wrong.

I looked at a couple of jobs doing that because it seems like a fun job (besides picking up poop), but in my area you have to be "certified." Can you believe it? :D

HE'S GONE!!!! Just handed in his keys.

I did a happy dance in the middle of the empty room! Now I am going to sage the hell out of it!

It's SO QUIET right now!

:banana:

Whatever your weather today, be grateful for it. A good friend of mine was dodging this weather near Stillwater Oklahoma Monday:

13179168_10207923251151102_8869055575583730438_n.jpg
13118853_10207923251271105_7457521752031452437_n.jpg
13133352_10207923251551112_8606222313669271418_n.jpg

I was born to be lazy and play video games! ;)

Oy. Change of plans again. Gonna rent the room. MrG wants to save as much as possible so when we are given the dreaded vacate notice from the owner..we have more money to move with.

Hombre and I are about to settle in with a looooong movie and I'm going to sign of f early. Everybody have a lovely evening or whatever it is wherever you are.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. And Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Gracie's eye surgery and stop smoking project,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Grandma Moses painting
upload_2016-5-11_19-51-2.png

Night, FF.
I will probably head to bed soon earlier than usual too. Trying to stay awake now, cuz I don't wanna miss Survivor. But my thumb and hand hurts so bad, I wanna just lay down and if I do..i will sleep. Don't wanna. Yet.

Good morning Ridgerunner and everybody. I was up at 5 am to let our visiting mini dachshund out. I then had to stay out there in the 45 degree cold in my jammies for awhile to guard from any passing owls while she did her business and then inspected the yard for lizards. She finally consented to come back in and go back to bed until six am when the phone rang. One of the volunteers at the hospital gift shop was sick and called Hombre who had to go in this morning to cover for him. So I hustled to get some breakfast ready for him so he could be out the door and get there by 8 a.m. and I don't feel like I've been to bed at all.

This too shall pass. But I need more coffee.

Forum List

Back