USMB Coffee Shop IV

Almost every developed nation has more vacation time than we do. It's almost criminal the way America treats it's workers.

Truthfully, I don't know what I would do with all that time "vacationing"
It has been more than 10 years since I have taken more than a week off of work. I usually use up accrued vacation time in chunks of a day here, two there.

That was me. When I had jobs I loved, I was always worried that I would miss out on something exciting. But the last couple of decades of my working life I was working on straight commission (w/no paid benefits) or self employed (w/no paid benefits) so vacations meant no money coming in. We still took time off, but you do manage it pretty carefully. Still, I much MUCH preferred being my own boss and working my own schedule and having a great deal of control over my earnings than I ever did working for the other fellow.

In Germany, 6 weeks of vacation is the law of the land. +13 national holiday.

:D

Almost every developed nation has more vacation time than we do. It's almost criminal the way America treats it's workers.

I used to yearn for vacation when I was working for somebody else. Now that I can vacation whenever, I don't need it as much. I spend time making my home my oasis. The only thing we don't have is a pool and I don't think we'll be getting one.

That photo Sherry put up looks wonderful.

I used to yearn for vacation when I was working for somebody else. Now that I can vacation whenever, I don't need it as much. I spend time making my home my oasis. The only thing we don't have is a pool and I don't think we'll be getting one.

I believe if you have an "Oasis" a pond or pool is required, a well with a tank at the very least.

I believe if you have an "Oasis" a pond or pool is required, a well with a tank at the very least.

Pools are no real oasis unless you have a pool boy. Lucky for me, I do :D but unlucky for my husband, it's him. They are tons of work

Pools are no real oasis unless you have a pool boy. Lucky for me, I do :D but unlucky for my husband, it's him. They are tons of work

That one would be a lot of work with all those trees. Although it is so beautiful, it might be worth all the work.

That one would be a lot of work with all those trees. Although it is so beautiful, it might be worth all the work.

The nice thing about our Florida pools is that they are almost all in screened lanais, which means no worries about bugs or leaves in the pool...or snakes and gators. They still need general maintenance, but it's a lot easier.

Screened_Pool_Enclosures2.jpg

Tell your husband you require an indoor pool. Then, all his dreams will come true..:wink_2:

The nice thing about our Florida pools is that they are almost all in screened lanais, which means no worries about bugs or leaves in the pool...or snakes and gators. They still need general maintenance, but it's a lot easier.

We stayed at a home in Marco Island, it had a lanais with a pool and hot tub but I love the trees and privacy. It's just beautiful. Now that you mention snakes and gators, I'm less enthusiastic though. I must say...

We stayed at a home in Marco Island, it had a lanais with a pool and hot tub but I love the trees and privacy. It's just beautiful. Now that you mention snakes and gators, I'm less enthusiastic though. I must say...

Yes, in my part of the world an outdoor pool has almost no problem with unwelcome creepy crawly things or critters getting into them and there usually aren't a lot of trees with leaves around to be a problem. Also we don't really have flies or mosquitos to interfere with being out in nature. It is more of a problem I'm sure in areas where there are gators and lots of snakes and things like that.

But even with our perfect environment for a pool they are a tremendous amount of work and a substantial expense to install here and water is at a premium so not very many people have pools. I would sure enjoy one though if I could afford one along with a regular pool service to maintain it.

A plastic palm tree, an umbrella drink and a bathtub............................

Minimum............:D

It has been more than 10 years since I have taken more than a week off of work. I usually use up accrued vacation time in chunks of a day here, two there.

That was me. When I had jobs I loved, I was always worried that I would miss out on something exciting. But the last couple of decades of my working life I was working on straight commission (w/no paid benefits) or self employed (w/no paid benefits) so vacations meant no money coming in. We still took time off, but you do manage it pretty carefully. Still, I much MUCH preferred being my own boss and working my own schedule and having a great deal of control over my earnings than I ever did working for the other fellow.
Yep. Working for yourself is more than enough compensation for time off.

Yes, in my part of the world an outdoor pool has almost no problem with unwelcome creepy crawly things or critters getting into them and there usually aren't a lot of trees with leaves around to be a problem. Also we don't really have flies or mosquitos to interfere with being out in nature. It is more of a problem I'm sure in areas where there are gators and lots of snakes and things like that.

But even with our perfect environment for a pool they are a tremendous amount of work and a substantial expense to install here and water is at a premium so not very many people have pools. I would sure enjoy one though if I could afford one along with a regular pool service to maintain it.

Yeah, I'm over the pool. We could only use it three months out of the year anyway. I'll see if we can have a couple of waterfalls instead. Maybe a bird bath. :D

A plastic palm tree, an umbrella drink and a bathtub............................

Minimum............:D

Do I hear dueling banjos in the background? :)

I wish I were there for a day. It is one glorious feeling to dine outdoors with an ocean companion. :thup:

But instead, I may go to Burger King, because of your signature. How often can a girl take watching a live burger without having one? :lol:
Burger King has good tasting oatmeal too!

"Why eat with a clown when you can dine with a King"?
~~Burger King
Not to mention that Burger King's Whopper is way tastier than McDonald's Big Mac. I find the meat in McDonald's Big Mac tastes like cardboard.

Congratulations Grasshopper. You have completed Level One. :D

Tell your husband you require an indoor pool. Then, all his dreams will come true..:wink_2:

Require?

He would have me committed :lol:

Forum List

Back