USMB Coffee Shop IV

Can I post a link to that thread I was talking about? I think other people should witness such ignorance.

No. I can appreciate the thought but that would be over the line for the Coffee Shop I think. Even those who post stuff we don't approve of out there seem to be normal people in here. So what's out there stays out there, and everybody is welcome here if they understand what the Coffee Shop is and what we are all about. I think of us as the Seinfeld thread of USMB. :)

I am getting a nervous twitch wondering when I am going to get ripped off by computer hackers. Nothing has happened since yesterday but I am nervous that I have a virus. Well at least my radio proof credit card case arrived. Such is life in the computer age.

It is highly unlikely you will get ripped off by computer hackers unless you are seriously careless or too trusting. Just don't click on any popups unless you are absolutely certain they are okay, don't give anybody any personal information on the phone, don't give anybody access to your computer unless you are absolutely certain they are who they say they are and you solicited their help, and run a virus scan now and then and you're good to go.

I just checked my history and the page warning me of a virus came from 8384856.com and the telephone number they gave was 0800 802 1389

Anyone feel like ringing i t? I may ring from a phone box to see what they say.

Google the number. Just type it into your google address bar.

I didn't think of that but you get some really interesting information typing phone numbers into your browser.

Stupid staying up until 0400 doing algebra.... morning everyone!

Oh wow. You are a glutton for punishment aren't you? Algebra is one of those math disciplines that I really never got. I do use a couple of algebra things I learned in everyday life--doing ratios for instance--but algebra just never clicked for me. I loved geometry though. The only way I got through algebra--made an A in fact--was by being nice to the teacher that the other kids treated very badly. (No, I didn't date him or anything like that. I was just pleasant to him.)

Oh wow. You are a glutton for punishment aren't you? Algebra is one of those math disciplines that I really never got. I do use a couple of algebra things I learned in everyday life--doing ratios for instance--but algebra just never clicked for me. I loved geometry though. The only way I got through algebra--made an A in fact--was by being nice to the teacher that the other kids treated very badly. (No, I didn't date him or anything like that. I was just pleasant to him.)
I know I've mentioned this at least once before, I took algebra 3 times, twice in high school and once in college, aced it all three times. Couldn't do an algebraic equation today if my life depended on it.

I know I've mentioned this at least once before, I took algebra 3 times, twice in high school and once in college, aced it all three times. Couldn't do an algebraic equation today if my life depended on it.

I only took the one algebra class in high school (and hated that.) I really am pretty good at basic math--the kind we all use everyday at work and stuff--adding, subtracting, multiplying, division, percentages, measurements, square footages,etc. And I do remember how to do ratios using algebra. But college prep then, unless you were going into a math based field, only required two years of math. So I took one year algebra and one year geometry in high school plus what math was involved in chemistry. My grades exempted me from having to take any math in college other than what was necessary in physics and economics--I did take a lot of economics.

It's all slowly starting to make sense again. I think my biggest problem is not knowing the terminology anymore (radicands, quadratic, polynomials, coefficients, etc.). I can do the equations better than I can define them.

Geometry starts next week. Graphing after that. I must say, my expectations of college have so far been completely shattered. Had I realized that I was essentially paying someone else for me to re-teach myself algebra, I would've just googled it like I did when I taught myself PHP, and then signed up for the big kid classes when I felt caught up.

I hate math, but oddly enough I liked algebra. It was like a game with numbers. I couldn't do it now either though because I haven't done it in so long. I actually tutored a couple of people in algebra when I was in college.

It's all slowly starting to make sense again. I think my biggest problem is not knowing the terminology anymore (radicands, quadratic, polynomials, coefficients, etc.). I can do the equations better than I can define them.

Geometry starts next week. Graphing after that. I must say, my expectations of college have so far been completely shattered. Had I realized that I was essentially paying someone else for me to re-teach myself algebra, I would've just googled it like I did when I taught myself PHP, and then signed up for the big kid classes when I felt caught up.

A great deal of my 'formal' education was self taught so I know exactly what you are saying. After sitting in a classroom barely able to understand a heavily accented teacher and getting the subject matter not at all, I would then spend some time studying up on it myself to figure out what in the hell I was supposed to have learned. :) But unfortunately, unless you are sitting in a formal class while you are self educating, you don't get credit for the education you are acquiring through self education.

I hate math, but oddly enough I liked algebra. It was like a game with numbers. I couldn't do it now either though because I haven't done it in so long. I actually tutored a couple of people in algebra when I was in college.

I believe that. As bad as I was in algebra and as much as I hated it, when my brother-in-law got stuck having to teach high school freshman algebra--a subject he was poorly equipped to teach but there was nobody else available--I wound up tutoring him on what to teach and how to write out the tests and grade them. Those poor kids. I've always wondered how those who went on to Algebra II and beyond fared.

It's not that I hated algebra, I liked it, it's just I never applied it after school so I don't remember any of it. Heck a few years after taking algebra in college I went to the newly opened Computer Learning Center, took their placement test and failed every algebra question (algebra was half the test). They told me they would teach me to be a data input tech (the old punch cards) but couldn't be a programmer, I laughed and explained that all I had to do was to add an algebra refresher class to my classload and that would solve the problem. Given this I asked them what good they were to me........ they didn't have an answer....... :lol:

A game with numbers, pretty much! Mine all end up looking like cross-word puzzles with the answer circled! lol

Good morning all. What's everybody doing this weekend? Grocery Shopping and Farmer's Market for us.

WQ and I will divide and conquer the grocery shopping this afternoon. I'd also like to pick up a beachy desk lamp for my office at work. We're going out for a yummy Greek dinner. WQ went by the library earlier and picked up my Saturday night movie request - Out of Africa. Tomorrow will be laundry and chillaxin.:)

166016-Have-A-Wonderful-Weekend.jpg

The little one had her first soccer game of the season today (it's her second season). In the first quarter her team scored 5 goals, the little one scored 3 of those. :) She played goalie in the second quarter. In the third quarter, because the other team only had 5 players and couldn't substitute, and because the little one's team was beating them so badly, her coach had her play goalie for the opposing team. She rested at the beginning of the 4th quarter, then had to go back in and play again.

I had been worried about this game. Her team seems not as good as last season's. The girls are less aggressive, I don't know if any of them have played before, there are fewer girls, I was worried they would get beaten badly. Instead they crushed the other team. :D

Good morning all. What's everybody doing this weekend? Grocery Shopping and Farmer's Market for us.

WQ and I will divide and conquer the grocery shopping this afternoon. I'd also like to pick up a beachy desk lamp for my office at work. We're going out for a yummy Greek dinner. WQ went by the library earlier and picked up my Saturday night movie request - Out of Africa. Tomorrow will be laundry and chillaxin.:)

166016-Have-A-Wonderful-Weekend.jpg

Hombre and I divide and conquer on the grocery shopping too--he and I know the store by heart so can divide the list by east and west--he takes half and I take half and we meet at the checkout counter. :)

"Out of Africa" is one of my very favorite all time movies--I own it on DVD. I also downloaded her book "Out of Africa" on my Kindle. . .it is a quick read and not all that cohesive for a biographical work and should be read after seeing the movie that makes the book much more interesting. While the movie certainly took liberties with the love story--it is not found in the book as the movie is sort of a sequel to the book--it is amazing how many lines in the movie were taken verbatim from the book, and how much the book explains about what you see in the movie but it doesn't register what is going on until you read the book. The movie has a great story line though, magnificent scenery and cinematography, directing, and acting, and one of the greatest sound tracks ever.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back