USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning all. What's everybody doing this weekend? Grocery Shopping and Farmer's Market for us.

WQ and I will divide and conquer the grocery shopping this afternoon. I'd also like to pick up a beachy desk lamp for my office at work. We're going out for a yummy Greek dinner. WQ went by the library earlier and picked up my Saturday night movie request - Out of Africa. Tomorrow will be laundry and chillaxin.:)

166016-Have-A-Wonderful-Weekend.jpg

Hombre and I divide and conquer on the grocery shopping too--he and I know the store by heart so can divide the list by east and west--he takes half and I take half and we meet at the checkout counter. :)

"Out of Africa" is one of my very favorite all time movies--I own it on DVD. I also downloaded her book "Out of Africa" on my Kindle. . .it is a quick read and not all that cohesive for a biographical work and should be read after seeing the movie that makes the book much more interesting. While the movie certainly took liberties with the love story--it is not found in the book as the movie is sort of a sequel to the book--it is amazing how many lines in the movie were taken verbatim from the book, and how much the book explains about what you see in the movie but it doesn't register what is going on until you read the book. The movie has a great story line though, magnificent scenery and cinematography, directing, and acting, and one of the greatest sound tracks ever.

I forgot what a beautifully filmed movie it is, but the love story left me feeling annoyed. WQ and I disagree on whether or not Denys was selfish. WQ thinks he was just a free-spirit, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive. It's still a great movie.

Good morning all. What's everybody doing this weekend? Grocery Shopping and Farmer's Market for us.

WQ and I will divide and conquer the grocery shopping this afternoon. I'd also like to pick up a beachy desk lamp for my office at work. We're going out for a yummy Greek dinner. WQ went by the library earlier and picked up my Saturday night movie request - Out of Africa. Tomorrow will be laundry and chillaxin.:)

166016-Have-A-Wonderful-Weekend.jpg

Hombre and I divide and conquer on the grocery shopping too--he and I know the store by heart so can divide the list by east and west--he takes half and I take half and we meet at the checkout counter. :)

"Out of Africa" is one of my very favorite all time movies--I own it on DVD. I also downloaded her book "Out of Africa" on my Kindle. . .it is a quick read and not all that cohesive for a biographical work and should be read after seeing the movie that makes the book much more interesting. While the movie certainly took liberties with the love story--it is not found in the book as the movie is sort of a sequel to the book--it is amazing how many lines in the movie were taken verbatim from the book, and how much the book explains about what you see in the movie but it doesn't register what is going on until you read the book. The movie has a great story line though, magnificent scenery and cinematography, directing, and acting, and one of the greatest sound tracks ever.

I forgot what a beautifully filmed movie it is, but the love story left me feeling annoyed. WQ and I disagree on whether or not Denys was selfish. WQ thinks he was just a free-spirit, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive. It's still a great movie.

I feel the same frustration you feel re the love story though. All she wanted was a committed love with somebody who would make her the priority in his life, but never had that kind of relationship. I felt bad for her. But yes, it is still a great movie.

I am getting a nervous twitch wondering when I am going to get ripped off by computer hackers. Nothing has happened since yesterday but I am nervous that I have a virus. Well at least my radio proof credit card case arrived. Such is life in the computer age.

It is highly unlikely you will get ripped off by computer hackers unless you are seriously careless or too trusting. Just don't click on any popups unless you are absolutely certain they are okay, don't give anybody any personal information on the phone, don't give anybody access to your computer unless you are absolutely certain they are who they say they are and you solicited their help, and run a virus scan now and then and you're good to go.

I just checked my history and the page warning me of a virus came from 8384856.com and the telephone number they gave was 0800 802 1389

Anyone feel like ringing i t? I may ring from a phone box to see what they say.

Google the number. Just type it into your google address bar.

Thanks, I did that and there are a lot of pages about the telephone number claiming it is a scam.

This would be great. For decades now I have been unable to remember which chain operates the fan and which the lights so its trial and error every time. It is made more difficult because it is not the same configuration on every fan light assembly.

This would be great. For decades now I have been unable to remember which chain operates the fan and which the lights so its trial and error every time. It is made more difficult because it is not the same configuration on every fan light assembly.
Generally the light chain hanges lower than the fan it's that with all the fans in my house.

Generally the light chain hanges lower than the fan it's that with all the fans in my house.

Not so in mine, but we do have some ancient fan light assemblys in the house and they are in every room except the great room.

Typically it's the center chain for the lights, the one dead center below the lights, the one hanging from the side of the light box controls the fan speed.

Last edited:
HRH Charles Windsor was visiting his mother, Queen Elizabeth at her castle in Balmoral, Scotland. Now, the driveway at Balmoral is some twenty miles long. Twisting its way through the highlands of Scotland, rolling across the moors and through stately forests, it's quite a drive.

At one particuarly severe curve, Prince Charles felt a bump. That's unusual for a royal driveway, even one as long as Balmoral's. Stopping his Land Rover, Prince Charles got out to more accurately map and identify the bump in the road.

Instead of finding a pothole, Prince Charles found one of his mother's prized corgie dogs laying on the driveway. The dog was dead, there is no question of that, a corgie-sized greasy spot.

Suddenly His Royal Highness was stunned by a blinding flash of light! There stood a beautiful woman dressed in white with a shimmering glow around her.

"Your Highness, I'm you guardian angel. I sense that you are in distress. How may I help you?" asked the Angel.

"Oh! Thank God" Prince Charles exclaimed "I'm afraid I just ran over one of mother's beloved corgie dogs. She loves them so and I cannot begin to tell you what she may say when I tell her this terrible news."

The guardian angel paced back behind the Land Rover and examined the dead dog. She returned, shaking her head in dismay.

"I'm afraid, dear Prince, that the dog is far too damaged. My powers cannot help the poor cur. Is there anything else I might be of assistance to you?"

Prince Charles thought a minute, head in his hands and tears welling up in his eyes. He turned to his guardian angel and asked, "My wife, Camille Parker Bowles. Is there any way you could make her as beautiful as my previous wife, Princess Diana?"

The guardian angel looked at the ground, glanced back at the corgie and said "Let's take another look at that dead dog."

Last edited:

Typically it's the center chain for the lights, the one dead center below the lights, the one hanging from the side of the light box controls the fan speed.

The switch on the wall controls both. ;)

It is true that if both are on, the switch on the wall turns both off or both on. But we frequently run the fan at night with the light off. And in the winter often have the light on and the fan off. So those chain thingees are kind of important.

So just Save and me in the Coffee Shop so far this morning. Hope that means everybody is having a good Monday elsewhere. I slept in this morning and now feel great. So I think I'll go mop a floor or something before that feeling wears off. :)

So just Save and me in the Coffee Shop so far this morning. Hope that means everybody is having a good Monday elsewhere. I slept in this morning and now feel great. So I think I'll go mop a floor or something before that feeling wears off. :)

I'm sitting on hold trying to get a hold of the financial aid office for the school I'm trying to get into. Well, to be more accurate, I've been accepted into the school, I'm trying to make sure I can afford it. :p

I tried to call Friday and spent 1.5 hours on hold before I hung up when the little one came home. Trying again today. I really just want some confirmation from them, but this Friday is the cut off date for any documents they need and they are using a new system for financial aid this year, so I want to be sure I'm not going to somehow get screwed out of grant money.

That was supposed to be a secret.:biggrin:

It is true that if both are on, the switch on the wall turns both off or both on. But we frequently run the fan at night with the light off. And in the winter often have the light on and the fan off. So those chain thingees are kind of important.
There are wall switches specifically for ceiling fans as well as remote controls for some of them.

There are wall switches specifically for ceiling fans as well as remote controls for some of them.

I would think that necessary for fans in very high ceilings but those are usually just fans and not fan light assemblies.

I'm sitting on hold trying to get a hold of the financial aid office for the school I'm trying to get into. Well, to be more accurate, I've been accepted into the school, I'm trying to make sure I can afford it. :p

I tried to call Friday and spent 1.5 hours on hold before I hung up when the little one came home. Trying again today. I really just want some confirmation from them, but this Friday is the cut off date for any documents they need and they are using a new system for financial aid this year, so I want to be sure I'm not going to somehow get screwed out of grant money.

I would be major peeved at trying to do business with somebody that would have me on hold for 1.5 hours.

I would think that necessary for fans in very high ceilings but those are usually just fans and not fan light assemblies.
You'd be surprised.

Forum List

Back