USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ok...mostly caught up. I can't believe its only been 24 hours cuz it seems like 5000 hours.

Traffic as EXACTLY like this...I shit you not. A 4.5 hour drive took us 9 hours.

43885-full.jpg

AND...it was 97 degrees by noon. We left the foggy cool coast at 8:30am, got here at 5:30pm. 2 hours out, the altenator went out on the truck and thank God it went out at the exit at Buellton where there just happened to be a UHAul place. We were going to tow the damn truck but the guy that worked there said he could replace it for us an it would take about an hour. That cost us 440 bucks. Jeez. And it was hot, but more like 75 degrees, so tolerable. I worried mostly about the dogs, so I found a nice place to park in the shade until the truck was fixe. Then we were off again. Finally got to Santa Barbara an hour later, then Ventura half an hour after that will no problems. SB was full of fog, so it cooled down a lot...and so was Ventura. Blessed relief! I was hoping the end of the drama would be done, but nope. Soon as we got past ventura...its started. Bumper to bumper. On a SATURDAY, mind you. And hot? It got hotter, hotter hotter..dogs began to pant...we had to pull off an offramp in one the many cites off the 210 (I think it was the 210), find a park, let them pee and pour water on them. Air condtioner helped, but dammit..van was stuffed so the vents were not cooling it enough back there, and poor Moki had no place to hide from the sun beating in the back window.

Anywa...spent about 15 minutes there, hit the road again. Soon as we hit San Bern...omg. See pic above. I am trying to view MrG behind me, cars on each side of me trying to squeeze in front of me, motorcylces whitelining the road, read signs, keep an eyeball on the heat meter in the van. It was awful. And I poured sweat. Got a sore throat, hoarsness set in, chest began to ache with GERD even though I had not eaten anything (stress) and I was ready to turn around and come home. But..no place to get off in that mess since CalTrans decided to do road work on a SATURDAY AFTERNOON...and channel a bottleneck of 4 lanes into 2. We CRAWLED. Finally, it let up past Redlands and we got home around 6:30am. And my hair was stuck to my head, I was dripping, hoarse, dogs were lethargic and I HATED it.

At 2am, I woke MrG up, who was sleeping on the floor, and said "I'm leaving. No traffic cuz its 2am. I will live in my van. You can stay here. I'm LEAVING". He let me rant, then rolled over and went back to sleep. I slept on the couch..or tried to. It was SO HOT in this house and I couldn't sleep at all. The ac was not on, cuz they just leave the doors and windows open for the night air. But it was horrible hot. Come to find out the other gal that lives here doesn't mind the heat and not once turned it on with all of not here yet, so it collected in the house for 2 days. Jeez.

Anyway..I got up at 7am this morning (which I plan to start doing now), sat in the back yard and enjoyed looking the the mountain range and the nice cool air in the back yard. House finally cooled off around 4am. When I got up, my friends were just making coffee and had the AC on and it felt so good in the house, but nice outside although very warm and today it got up to 103. I have never drank as much water in my life since being here, lemme tell ya. But, the way to survive this is go to bed earlier like 11pm, get up earlier and do what has to be done as far as shopping and stuff BEFORE the heat of the day hits. Then hide in the house until the sun goes down and wait for the night air to hit us. Plus, fall is starting, so we only have about a month to go before it starts to get cold. I grew up in the valley..so my body IS remembering the heat. It just forgot about it for 30 years when I moved to the coast. Now it has to remember again.

Anyway...this is a lovely little town in the middle of sprawling cities and no need to go too far to anything! It's all within a block or two or less than a mile. There is no need to go anywhere else, so that is a plus. Nice neighborhood...even the neighbors came by to welcome us. So overall...it is getting better and I am less stressed. And the dogs? they LOVE it. Go figure!

Well while it stressed me out just thinking of what that trip was like, so happy you made it relatively uneventfully Gracie. And hope you have a good restful night and the rest of your life begins in the morning. ((hugs))

Ok...mostly caught up. I can't believe its only been 24 hours cuz it seems like 5000 hours.

Traffic as EXACTLY like this...I shit you not. A 4.5 hour drive took us 9 hours.

43885-full.jpg

AND...it was 97 degrees by noon. We left the foggy cool coast at 8:30am, got here at 5:30pm. 2 hours out, the altenator went out on the truck and thank God it went out at the exit at Buellton where there just happened to be a UHAul place. We were going to tow the damn truck but the guy that worked there said he could replace it for us an it would take about an hour. That cost us 440 bucks. Jeez. And it was hot, but more like 75 degrees, so tolerable. I worried mostly about the dogs, so I found a nice place to park in the shade until the truck was fixe. Then we were off again. Finally got to Santa Barbara an hour later, then Ventura half an hour after that will no problems. SB was full of fog, so it cooled down a lot...and so was Ventura. Blessed relief! I was hoping the end of the drama would be done, but nope. Soon as we got past ventura...its started. Bumper to bumper. On a SATURDAY, mind you. And hot? It got hotter, hotter hotter..dogs began to pant...we had to pull off an offramp in one the many cites off the 210 (I think it was the 210), find a park, let them pee and pour water on them. Air condtioner helped, but dammit..van was stuffed so the vents were not cooling it enough back there, and poor Moki had no place to hide from the sun beating in the back window.

Anywa...spent about 15 minutes there, hit the road again. Soon as we hit San Bern...omg. See pic above. I am trying to view MrG behind me, cars on each side of me trying to squeeze in front of me, motorcylces whitelining the road, read signs, keep an eyeball on the heat meter in the van. It was awful. And I poured sweat. Got a sore throat, hoarsness set in, chest began to ache with GERD even though I had not eaten anything (stress) and I was ready to turn around and come home. But..no place to get off in that mess since CalTrans decided to do road work on a SATURDAY AFTERNOON...and channel a bottleneck of 4 lanes into 2. We CRAWLED. Finally, it let up past Redlands and we got home around 6:30am. And my hair was stuck to my head, I was dripping, hoarse, dogs were lethargic and I HATED it.

At 2am, I woke MrG up, who was sleeping on the floor, and said "I'm leaving. No traffic cuz its 2am. I will live in my van. You can stay here. I'm LEAVING". He let me rant, then rolled over and went back to sleep. I slept on the couch..or tried to. It was SO HOT in this house and I couldn't sleep at all. The ac was not on, cuz they just leave the doors and windows open for the night air. But it was horrible hot. Come to find out the other gal that lives here doesn't mind the heat and not once turned it on with all of not here yet, so it collected in the house for 2 days. Jeez.

Anyway..I got up at 7am this morning (which I plan to start doing now), sat in the back yard and enjoyed looking the the mountain range and the nice cool air in the back yard. House finally cooled off around 4am. When I got up, my friends were just making coffee and had the AC on and it felt so good in the house, but nice outside although very warm and today it got up to 103. I have never drank as much water in my life since being here, lemme tell ya. But, the way to survive this is go to bed earlier like 11pm, get up earlier and do what has to be done as far as shopping and stuff BEFORE the heat of the day hits. Then hide in the house until the sun goes down and wait for the night air to hit us. Plus, fall is starting, so we only have about a month to go before it starts to get cold. I grew up in the valley..so my body IS remembering the heat. It just forgot about it for 30 years when I moved to the coast. Now it has to remember again.

Anyway...this is a lovely little town in the middle of sprawling cities and no need to go too far to anything! It's all within a block or two or less than a mile. There is no need to go anywhere else, so that is a plus. Nice neighborhood...even the neighbors came by to welcome us. So overall...it is getting better and I am less stressed. And the dogs? they LOVE it. Go figure!
You need a helicopter, Gracie.

Oh, and MrG is now outfitted with a brand new twin bed set, a dresser we bought on Offer UP, his tv hooked up to the cable box but no internet for him yet. He said he isn't missing it at this time and can wait. He's happy with his tv. Me...I don't have cable tv yet, but I have internet and netflix..plus if I want to watch tv I can do it in his room and if he wants internet, he can get on my pc. All this is temporary until we get more settled. Tomorrow...FRIDGE. We need our own and have a spot in the garage for it when we find one. And MrG needs a desk and pc chair. THEN we will be settled. What a wild ride!

Karma has NOT barked wildly, except when she sniffed out a skunk in the neighbors yard...her name is Bernadine...and she came over today to welcome us to the neighborhood (over 55 age community) and said she heard the dog barking and I said SKUNK and she said omg...she needs to fix the fence so MrG said he would go over and help her block it off. Things are going well. MrG said he likes it here. I am still leery...but today was very nice even though it was so hot. Still..INSIDE was nice and still is.

Just reading that wore me out!! I AM happy you made it safely though. I do not envy you that traffic...ugh.

Hope everything gets better and better for you! Love how you tell an adventure...:)

We drove thru Cherry Valley...I was surprised...even though I was miserable in the Van and so tired from the long drive...the little town looked lovely with all the vineyards and tree orchards and horse farms. Yes, I was really surprised and in a pleasant way. Out here...its A LOT of farmland and crops. HOT, yes, but the fruits and veggies seem to love it, lol. I hope I will too.

I just got back inside from sitting outside having a cig. I10 (I think its the 10) is a block away. LOUD. But know what it sounds like, minus motorcycles passing by? Surf. Waves. Sound JUST LIKE the ocean during a storm. And I was shocked just now to hear...ready for this?...and owl in someone's tree hooting. Baby ground squirrels live under the fig tree in Bernadine's back yard that butts up to ours and it's the cutest squeaking.

I really fell in love with Cherry Valley..which is not far from us.

Bummer Gracie. You should demand any money you have paid be refunded.
Ah. But I have not paid one cent yet. I think they forgot to ask when I went to pick up the distance glasses, lol. I have every intention of paying them and in fact would be happy to IF they had my damn glasses for up close. Which they don't have. They are totally disorganized and have no clue what the hell they are doing. If I don't get my glasses before we leave..then no. They won't get a dime. If they do get them in before I leave, I will remind them that I have not paid for them yet and do they want some money? Jeez. What a bunch of ignoramuses.
Geeze, Gracie!
I adore that little poster in your tag line, "Les Deplorables", indeed! LMAO

Careful there my very good friend. Wading just a wee too closely to illegal controversy there. :) But happy we'll have you around more if only for a short time. I used to love to play cribbage. I wonder if I still remember how?
Still appreciate the humor of some of our CS folks tags. We usually gage whether it's bedtime, or not, if we can no longer "count out". Cribbage is a cabin staple, it beats all hell out of TV.
Cribbage has to be one of the most fun games I have ever played. Thankfully I too had a friend that loved to play Crib. We used to even take pictures of when we'd get that perfect 24 point hand, and when you have no points at all, it's always "19," because you can't have 19 so, ya, sarcasm. Great game, probably played thousands of games myself, even Crib tournaments in bars. I have a few different Cribbage boards...

This is the thickest one I have...

20160917_192234_zpslx4izb9x.jpg

This is the biggest one I have...

20160917_192257_zpsyhomc16o.jpg

I won this one in a raffle. I knew this guy, Dick Trickle...

20160917_192512_zpsqbjbabwe.jpg

And this is the first Crib board I ever had, and the one that has gotten the most use, and my favorite just because I've had it forever and it's really seen the all nighter, drunkard, Crib playing times...

20160917_192436_zpsoovr8ynh.jpg
We usually play until we cannot count out anymore. That leaves just enough to make it to the sack before sleep descends like a load of bricks. I'm building an over-sized cribbage board for a friend, it's about 30"x8". I taught my SIL how to play and we played all afternoon and into the night.

Images for Cherry Valley.

san bernardino traffic - Google Search

I think MrG and I are going to be looking for homes there. :)

Link says traffic...but its really views of Cherry Valley.
Glad to know you've made it safely to your new digs, Gracie. Better yet, that the place suits you to some extent. I'm still sending best wishes your way, hopefully you have found a home.

Good morning Coffee Shoppers. So here it is again my birthday and I'm waiting (2-1/2 more hours now) for my dental appointment and hopefully relief from this angry tooth or whatever it is in my jaw. We spent the evening with Aunt Betty and Uncle Ed and uncle Ed's niece, and when I went in to see him and talk to him a bit--he has been in a coma for a couple of days now--I sensed the end was very near. And just as soon as we arrived home, maybe 20 minutes after we left there, his niece called to tell me that he had passed, quietly, peacefully, blessedly. Hospice would be there shortly to take care of things, sign the death certificate, etc. No we shouldn't go back. So my birthday will be bitter sweet today. The ordeal is over, hopefully the worst of the pain will be gone, and we move into the next phase for Aunt Betty.

Good morning Coffee Shoppers. So here it is again my birthday and I'm waiting (2-1/2 more hours now) for my dental appointment and hopefully relief from this angry tooth or whatever it is in my jaw. We spent the evening with Aunt Betty and Uncle Ed and uncle Ed's niece, and when I went in to see him and talk to him a bit--he has been in a coma for a couple of days now--I sensed the end was very near. And just as soon as we arrived home, maybe 20 minutes after we left there, his niece called to tell me that he had passed, quietly, peacefully, blessedly. Hospice would be there shortly to take care of things, sign the death certificate, etc. No we shouldn't go back. So my birthday will be bitter sweet today. The ordeal is over, hopefully the worst of the pain will be gone, and we move into the next phase for Aunt Betty.

97a14311abc288f90082d7477707d130.jpg

97a14311abc288f90082d7477707d130.jpg

Okay that one made me laugh out loud, Montro. Thanks.

Happy Birthday, Foxfyre! Sorry about the tooth. Hope you get relief soon.

Do you still put all the candles on cake or are you old enough to switch to numbers instead?
smileys-birthday-347032.gif

26c9485f2d3b0ef71957b2c0b1910f74

Do you still put all the candles on cake or are you old enough to switch to numbers instead?

Thanks, and well let's put it this way. If they put all the candles that go on my birthday cake these days, I'm required to notify the Fire Department. :)

funny-birthday-meme-cards.jpg

Thanks, and well let's put it this way. If they put all the candles that go on my birthday cake these days, I'm required to notify the Fire Department. :)

Lots of good gifs there! http://www.picgifs.com/glitter-gifs/happy-birthday/&p=3/

Foxfyre here is to hoping you have a really great day...

upload_2016-9-19_15-41-2.png

Happy Birthday Foxfyre !!
I hope you have a great one after your tooth problem is taken care of.

It's also my Hubby's Birthday today.

Great minds think a like, I also got him a kindle fire tablet.

He has been playing games on it all day. He loves it. !

Forum List

Back