USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well here it is just past midnight and I just got home. Spent an interesting afternoon--took Hombre's temp and it was high enough to alarm me plus he was having other scary symptoms, so I pitched a hissy fit to make him go to urgent care just before they closed today (Sunday) at 4 p.m. They took one look at him and called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. So we've been in E.R. until about a half hour ago where they ran every possible test, x-rays, Ct scan, the works and have pronounced him with a serious urinary track infection and he was admitted for more blood work, intravenous antibiotics, etc. I just got home--a white knuckle drive for me as I don't drive well at night these days. Will go back in the morning to find out if it is something they can probably kick in a couple of days or, if it has gotten into his bloodstream, more aggressive and longer term treatment will be necessary.

Word to the wise guys. UTI's are usually just annoyances for us gals, but they are a big deal for you. And they can turn serious really quick without treatment. So if you're running a fever and don't know why, do go to the doctor.
I can attest to UTIs having had them all too frequently throughout my life so I know exactly what symptoms to look out for so I never let it get too bad. Our prays are with you and Hombre.

I had a UTI only once that I know of (maybe I had one as a baby - I don't know), but I didn't really have any symptoms aside from "stopping short" and not having an appetite at all. In fact, I lost quite a bit of weight when I had a UTI. Took me a while to put some weight back on too. I'm at my normal weight of around 105 lbs and feel a lot better and stronger than I did when I had lost a bunch of weight quickly. That's no good for a person.

Grumpy this morning. We got a little over 6 inches of snow yesterday and our Dish is ice and snow packed so I can't watch the morning news on TV. To make things worse, I can't talk Mrs. BBD into climbing up on the roof and cleaning out the Dish. When I ask her to do it all she does is laugh at me. Going to be a long day...

Another good reason for cable though it is a huge annoyance to have to complain and wrangle a new deal with them every few months after they raise our rates into the stratosphere.

Grumpy this morning. We got a little over 6 inches of snow yesterday and our Dish is ice and snow packed so I can't watch the morning news on TV. To make things worse, I can't talk Mrs. BBD into climbing up on the roof and cleaning out the Dish. When I ask her to do it all she does is laugh at me. Going to be a long day...

Another good reason for cable though it is a huge annoyance to have to complain and wrangle a new deal with them every few months after they raise our rates into the stratosphere.

I have a bundle with cable, high speed internet and landline service. I pay like 150-200 a month! I guess that's not too terrible for all three though. Separately they might be even more than that.

Good morning! We have a little tiny bit of snow on the ground this morning, just a dusting though. It's already starting to melt away thankfully!

We had no snow last year in southern England, and the weather is very mild for this time of year so I doubt we will get any snow this year either. Global warming is probably the cause and it is currently beneficial to the likes of me, but eventually I expect it will cause ecological disaster.

I had a UTI only once that I know of (maybe I had one as a baby - I don't know), but I didn't really have any symptoms aside from "stopping short" and not having an appetite at all. In fact, I lost quite a bit of weight when I had a UTI. Took me a while to put some weight back on too. I'm at my normal weight of around 105 lbs and feel a lot better and stronger than I did when I had lost a bunch of weight quickly. That's no good for a person.

You are a teensy thing though--I don't think I've weighed 105 since junior high or what is now middle school. I don't recall losing my appetite with a UTI--just a little discomfort until the cranberry juice and lots of extra fluids kick in.

You are a teensy thing though--I don't think I've weighed 105 since junior high or what is now middle school. I don't recall losing my appetite with a UTI--just a little discomfort until the cranberry juice and lots of extra fluids kick in.

I'm short! :D

I just had no appetite at all. I don't get sick very often. Probably once every few years.

I have a bundle with cable, high speed internet and landline service. I pay like 150-200 a month! I guess that's not too terrible for all three though. Separately they might be even more than that.

Same here. We have Xfinity triple play which is pricey but the unlimited phone including unlimited long distance and high speed internet are great and they do negotiate better deals for us when the package edges up past our comfort zone--cost hovers in the $160 to $170 range for us but TV is our primary source of recreation so we justify it that way. It also comes with a voice activated remote and you get spoiled really quick just telling the TV where you want to go and it takes you there. You have to have what they call a 'smart TV' for that to work though. Plus high capacity DVR on great On Demand features. We don't pay for any premium channels though.

Do you have DVD movies? That would be a good excuse to rewatch some of your favorites. :)

Try spraying a lite coat of pam spray cooking oil on your Dish.
Dont know if it works or not but it couldnt hurt to try.
A dish tech told me that it keeps the snow from sticking to it.

When you live in the middle of nowhere like I do you have to have a dish to get TV or internet. Nothing else is available. Like the Eagle say in their song "I guess every form of refuge has it's price!"

No snow here either, and after a few days of minor flurries, yesterday offered a cloudless sky and bright sun. In fact when I was trying to follow the ambulance to the hospital yesterday, I had to pull over and wait for the sun to set because I was literally blinded driving directly into it and I didn't have any shades with me. I don't think that has ever happened before.

Hombre called and is feeling much better this morning but says they'll keep him one more day for sure. If the infection got into his bloodstream, it will require more aggressive treatment and he could stay longer. He wants his razor and toothbrush when I come up so I take that as a good sign. Thanks for the prayers and positive vibes everybody. I honestly do believe they make a difference.

So I had some shredded wheat for breakfast and will get around and get up there to deliver stuff and check out the situation.

Well here it is just past midnight and I just got home. Spent an interesting afternoon--took Hombre's temp and it was high enough to alarm me plus he was having other scary symptoms, so I pitched a hissy fit to make him go to urgent care just before they closed today (Sunday) at 4 p.m. They took one look at him and called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. So we've been in E.R. until about a half hour ago where they ran every possible test, x-rays, Ct scan, the works and have pronounced him with a serious urinary track infection and he was admitted for more blood work, intravenous antibiotics, etc. I just got home--a white knuckle drive for me as I don't drive well at night these days. Will go back in the morning to find out if it is something they can probably kick in a couple of days or, if it has gotten into his bloodstream, more aggressive and longer term treatment will be necessary.

Word to the wise guys. UTI's are usually just annoyances for us gals, but they are a big deal for you. And they can turn serious really quick without treatment. So if you're running a fever and don't know why, do go to the doctor.
I can attest to UTIs having had them all too frequently throughout my life so I know exactly what symptoms to look out for so I never let it get too bad. Our prays are with you and Hombre.

He has had a couple of flare ups in the past that we got on immediately, but this time no urinary discomfort, no noticable blood in the urine, and no indication that's what we were dealing with. But now we know that very different symptoms can manifest themselves. I don't think I'll have so much trouble getting him to the doctor next time.

When you live in the middle of nowhere like I do you have to have a dish to get TV or internet. Nothing else is available. Like the Eagle say in their song "I guess every form of refuge has it's price!"

No doubt. But you do need an agile neighbor with a ladder to get up there to remedy your dilemma. We all eventually reach a certain age that we have no business doing that sort of thing ourselves.

Hombre called and is feeling much better this morning but says they'll keep him one more day for sure. If the infection got into his bloodstream, it will require more aggressive treatment and he could stay longer. He wants his razor and toothbrush when I come up so I take that as a good sign. Thanks for the prayers and positive vibes everybody. I honestly do believe they make a difference.

So I had some shredded wheat for breakfast and will get around and get up there to deliver stuff and check out the situation.

Yes those blood infections are very serious.
Hubby gets them every once in a while because of his M.S. and has to stay in the hospital.
His stays range from 1week to the longest of 3 weeks.
That 3 week stay is the one where a half inch silver streak showed up overnight on the right side if my head. :biggrin:

No doubt. But you do need an agile neighbor with a ladder to get up there to remedy your dilemma. We all eventually reach a certain age that we have no business doing that sort of thing ourselves.

We pay someone to do that stuff for us.

We pay someone to do that stuff for us.

Yes, we do too, but I do have to get into my 'stern' mode now and then when Hombre is just itching to get up on the roof or whatever. He was a 30-year all lines insurance adjuster and a lot of that required getting up on top of a whole lot of things via ladder. But now he isn't in that good shape and is facing a hip replacement sooner or later--if that hip gave way while he was 10-15 feet up there. . . . .

When you reach a certain age you don't bounce nearly as well as you once did and you break a whole lot more easily.

Forum List

Back