USMB Coffee Shop IV

XgF6epm.gif

:badgrin:

Roommates...gotta live with 'em, but you wish you could sell 'em for parts.

[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]

I guess everyone has to use their own judgment.

Dr. Oz has always defended himself by claiming that he does not endorse particular supplement brands. While he appears to think he’s preserving his integrity, it leaves his viewers confused about where to purchase those products, making them easy targets for scammers. Given his large audience and the amounts of supplements he praises, this happens quite frequently.
Later during the interview, Dr. Oz conceded some of the supplements he promotes “don’t have the scientific muster to present as fact” and that he has “used flowery language... which was meant to be helpful, but wound up being incendiary and provided fodder for unscrupulous advertisers.”

"I need to be a part of this [solution],” Dr. Oz stated. “I want to play a role.” Hopefully, he means that and will put an end to sensationalized fads in favor of quality, science-based health advice.

Read more at Dr. Oz Admits ?Miracle? Diet Products He Advocates Are Pseudoscience | IFLScience

The thing is, he isn't telling people to use such remedies in lieu of their doctor's recommendations. But who knows what will work. Doctors will say that my regional honey and apple cider vinegar remedy is useless, but it works for me. Doctors will say there is absolutely no medical evidence that my copper bracelet has any beneficial effect, but it works for me. Maybe it is just because we hope or believe it works--the mind is a powerful thing. But if it works it works. And if it doesn't, it costs very little and it is harmless to try it.

That's the way I feel about it. When the South Beach diet was at its peak, I wanted to lose some inches around the waist and the book said cutting out sugar would do the trick...both my husband and I went on it, and lost 10 pounds and sure enough, I lost the fat around the waist....we tried the diet, but it was too time consuming and required foods that you normally don't buy....so I was spending a lot on things that we didn't really like, so we quit. I was weaned off sugar....and I'm glad, though.

When I get in a funk, my appetite is the first to go. Eventually my taste buds will return. For now...I am not eating much but I am still getting my vitamins with my morning Ensure drink.

I wish I had that problem. When I get into a funk, I usually graze the 'fridge way too often and eat unmentionable junk. I've been working on that lately, but the temptation is strong.

I lost around 30 lbs before my girls got here. I've been stabilized now at the new weight for over a month. A lot of it has to do with cutting portions and omitting lots of really nasty things, like sugars and fatty foods. I'll be going for another 20 lbs shortly, bringing my weight down to where it was when I retired.

Looks like Mediacom has sped up my internet... now where's my new DVR box?

speed_zpsa52662dd.jpg

It isn't there YET?!?!?!?!!? Man, you are going to love it as you can scroll through all those forever commercials in lightening speed. :D I love both mine. :lol:

I have had some very stressful business days and frankly, have not eaten well. Grabbing something that looks half-way edible at a big train station is not exactly good nutrition.

Back to fruits and veggies. Right after my chocolate chip cookie.

:D

I hear you. my stress levels at work have been through the roof the last few weeks. not eating well myself and I'm paying the price.

Same here guys. I have had to step up my real job and am finding little time for play or relax between that one and this one, so I have to let this one go. Very time consuming here but what a great staff. Tourist season brings on more demands but combined with this responsibility at USMB, leaves no room for play...you know...fun and games ...:thup: CK should get me out of blue by tomorrow, I am hoping.

[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]

I guess everyone has to use their own judgment.

The thing is, he isn't telling people to use such remedies in lieu of their doctor's recommendations. But who knows what will work. Doctors will say that my regional honey and apple cider vinegar remedy is useless, but it works for me. Doctors will say there is absolutely no medical evidence that my copper bracelet has any beneficial effect, but it works for me. Maybe it is just because we hope or believe it works--the mind is a powerful thing. But if it works it works. And if it doesn't, it costs very little and it is harmless to try it.

That's the way I feel about it. When the South Beach diet was at its peak, I wanted to lose some inches around the waist and the book said cutting out sugar would do the trick...both my husband and I went on it, and lost 10 pounds and sure enough, I lost the fat around the waist....we tried the diet, but it was too time consuming and required foods that you normally don't buy....so I was spending a lot on things that we didn't really like, so we quit. I was weaned off sugar....and I'm glad, though.

Mertex, I did the same thing. Greatly eliminated processed sugar. In doing so I lost about 10lbs the first month. I am just under 6 feet and weigh 190lbs which is perfect for me. If I stay off the processed sugar, the weight stays off.

And I'm convinced processed sugar is addictive....the more you eat...the more you crave. The secret is to break the addiction.

I have had some very stressful business days and frankly, have not eaten well. Grabbing something that looks half-way edible at a big train station is not exactly good nutrition.

I hear you. my stress levels at work have been through the roof the last few weeks. not eating well myself and I'm paying the price.

Same here guys. I have had to step up my real job and am finding little time for play or relaxation, between that one and this one, so I have to let this one go. Very time consuming here but what a great staff. Tourist season brings on more demands but combined with this responsibility at USMB, leaves no room for play...you know...fun and games ...:thup: CK should get me out of blue by tomorrow, I am hoping.

Sorry AA...but everyone needs fun in their life. There has to time to unwind and just be yourself. :)

Last edited:

Same here guys. I have had to step up my real job and am finding little time for play or relaxation, between that one and this one, so I have to let this one go. Very time consuming here but what a great staff. Tourist season brings on more demands but combined with this responsibility at USMB, leaves no room for play...you know...fun and games ...:thup: CK should get me out of blue by tomorrow, I am hoping.

Sorry AA...but everyone needs fun in their life. There has to time to unwind and just be yourself.

I realized that the other night when I was, for the first time in 10 weeks, actually in a thread, playing, and then realized how much I miss being free to do that. So we are going to BRING IT!!! :lol: I will have time. :woohoo:

And thank you Welfare Queen. :thup:

Sorry AA...but everyone needs fun in their life. There has to time to unwind and just be yourself.

I realized that the other night when I was, for the first time in 10 weeks, actually in a thread, playing, and then realized how much I miss being free to do that. So we are going to BRING IT!!! :lol: I will have time. :woohoo:

You mean the thread where you had the hots for that swish dude ? :lol:

You mean the thread where you had the hots for that swish dude ? :lol:

YEAH...THAT ONE....but he is NO swish dude. :crybaby:

When I get in a funk, my appetite is the first to go. Eventually my taste buds will return. For now...I am not eating much but I am still getting my vitamins with my morning Ensure drink.

I wish I had that problem. When I get into a funk, I usually graze the 'fridge way too often and eat unmentionable junk. I've been working on that lately, but the temptation is strong.
I know what you mean ...

Good to know it isn't just me. Been almost a week and NOTHING sounds good, or tastes good. Except maybe pretzels.

I've been on vacation this week and we're eating out a lot. at home we eat all organic, free range, natural foods. who knows what we are getting now. all I know is it tastes too salty and spicy

Spoon, are you in Pt. Pleasant?

people don't realize how much effort it takes to moderate or admin a site. especially a site with the traffic of this one and the strict adherence to rules. I admin a site today
but it is much lower volume and we have restricted registration. and I'm sure there are a number of people here who abuse the report system, adding to that load. hopefully someone else who cares will be willing to step up to the plate.

I'm not one of those folks who see food as medicine. Eat this to prevent that, or don't eat that to avoid developing this. I eat pretty much what taste good and is available.

Here's a recipe for those who are indifferent about saturated fats and what's supposed to be 'good' for you. It's a Pittsburgh classic, the steak salad.

Make a big Chef salad. All the salad greens, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, olives if you like. Grill a 12 ounce rib eye steak to taste (if you're like me, it will tend to be on the rarer side, but if you like your steak well done, you're kinda missing the point of eating steak). Cut the steak into bite sized cubes and add it to the salad. Put FRESH CUT French fires (We in the Ohio Valley like fries to be fresh rather than frozen. What's the point if you have to use frozen French fries? They take up freezer space and don't taste as good as fresh cut potatoes). Anyway, add the fries to the salad. Garnish with shredded mozzarella cheese and top with the salad dressing of your choice. (I will not editorialize about salad dressings here)

I ordered a steak salad in a suburb of Houston Texas. I was met with an incredulous waitress who drawled "Sounds like garbage to me!" I tried again at a restaurant in Philadelphia and was not responded to with anything like Brotherly Love. In Boston, they suggested I ditch the steak salad for lobster tail, which was the best suggestion I've heard when ordering off the menu.

Next up: how to make a Primanti's sammich!
I admire the way you worded that, "I pretty much eat what tastes good and is available". I do the same. I'm also indifferent to saturated fat when I eat food.

I can't really diet or eat healthy foods due to my extremely high metabolism. I need a lot of fat in my diet in order to maintain my weight.

Also, that recipe sounds great, never tried a steak salad before, but there's always a first time ... :thup:

:clap2: There he is before hair and makeup...:lol: and looking all like another hot, hot looking dude, Harrison Ford. You should hear his voice and watch his eyes in sync, with it. :omg:

Thanks WQ...:thup:

So where are your other BFs ?-----gotta be more than one.

Ha! No...there is only my r/l one. I am fortunate he lives within 2 hours from me. :lol: This way I can have my fantasy without the accompanying guilt....:lol:

Forum List

Back