USMB Coffee Shop IV

Wow ! I just watched 'Game of thrones' series six ,episodes 9 and 10. There was sure a lot of action and some extreme battle scenes. Now I have to wait months for series 7, the final series to come out and I am expecting some extreme spectacle, as it draws to its conclusion.

I tried and tried to get interested in "Game of Thrones" based on other's rave reviews of it, but it was just too dark and violent for me. Maybe sometimes when I am in a better mood for that. . . .

' Game of thrones' is certainly violent. In series 6 episode 9 there is a huge battle between two armies and they end up having to climb over a huge pile of bodies to get at one another. They also film graphic details, like someone getting a sword through their throats. I assume that is all done with CGI computer graphics.

You might enjoy 'the Mummy' and its sequel, as it is humorous and has a hero and heroine and a monster.
When I watch TV I look for the following:

1 - national and international news (PBS etc.)
2 - local news
3 - documentaries (Frontline, AmerExperience, etc)
4 - Nature & animals
5 - Crime documentaries
6 - Crime dramas (Criminal Minds, etc)
7 - national sports (playoffs mostly)
8 - local sports (Raiders soon moving to Las Vegas)

And NOT the crap called reality shows like Game Of Thrones.
"Game of Thrones" is anything but a 'reality' show. Unless you think magic, evil, re-animated dead armies, horse lords, and dragons are real. It's more like a "dungeons and dragons" type of fantasy fiction. But, yes, it is violent...and definitely includes adult content.

It's less 'sword and sorcery' than D&D. :) It's part of the more grounded style of fantasy that's become popular in recent years; GoT may have even started the popularity of that sort of gritty fantasy style. :dunno:

And FF is correct. Healthcare here is county by county. The plan I am on now only is good for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara county. Up north, I have to get on a new plan...whatever that will be. And it takes a couple of months for the transition. Which means I will be straight medi-cal...Which is only good for ER...Not a regular doc. So if I get an ear infection, cold, sinus problem, rash, etc...No doc. I have to go to ER. Until I am put on another plan, anyway. This also means med refills...So for my high blood pressure pills, thyroid pills, etc...I have to sit in ER.

Dumb, yes?

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had health insurance since I got too old to be on my father's plan 20-something years ago. I haven't been to a doctor in that time, either. :p

Speaking of USMB Coffee Shoppe, I think I shall brew up a small pot of coffee now to warm up with. We have several feet of snow now here in the Rocky Mountains.

Featured today are the Cheeseheads vs Dallas then later the Steel Curtain vs KC.

We have a lot of snow, and I'm drinking hot tea before sleeping, because, it seems, I have a flu :)

So sorry you are not feeling well Sbiker. That's one of those weird cultural things I guess but I always thought of 'flu as strictly an American thing. Silly I know. :)

Seriously I hope you feel better quickly.

I hope it to, but didn't crysis yet... It started untypically - from high blood pressure (I thought it's a weather), and when at second day I used pills to avoid it - it continued as normal flu... Now I'm eating a pills - aspirin, paracetamol and so on and don't working, only supporting one site, which critical for near days... :)

Wow ! I just watched 'Game of thrones' series six ,episodes 9 and 10. There was sure a lot of action and some extreme battle scenes. Now I have to wait months for series 7, the final series to come out and I am expecting some extreme spectacle, as it draws to its conclusion.

Yeah, it's a good series. I've read all books of Martin and had an experience of LRPG in this world. Series have some differences from books, so it very interesting to see..

I'm wondering how different the show's ending will be from the books'.

I think, unpredictable... When Martin constructed this world, I think, he didn't expect that world will be very stable. Thinking in world realities, you can resolve situation to global peace from any moment in book. So, Martin forced to shake this world by any forces, growing in his imagination. I think, scenarion makers are forced to do the same... and where their imagination would be in the end of series?

What sort of movies do you prefer? Habe you seen, for example, "Master and Commander"? What do you think about it? :)

I have seen it, and I think it pretty good for what it is, but I prefer more joy or humor and less blood and gore in my movies.

I very like it, because it's an awesome reconstruction. I'm interesting in different periods of history, took part in historical reconstruction - and looking all historic films through this knowledges... The quantity of movies with good material reconstruction is so few...

About humorous films... There are a lot of Soviet classic comedies, you have to see. For example this - without speech, about Soviet bootleggers :))

OK, that was pretty funny, and it looked a lot like Alaska in many ways. Except now, they'd have marijuana instead of vodka (little water).

:))) Marijuana it's a drug of East. But in Soviet time rural people used hemp to make ropes, not to smoke USSR kept all sides of drugs and info about it outside the borders...So, it was time for more traditional ways to damage own health... :))

The hemp used to make ropes is the same family as marijuana, but it is not exactly the same plant. Good that many drugs were prevented from influencing your culture. By more traditional health damage, do you refer to alcohol?

Yes, alcohol and tobacco... But now progress is not staying at place - China produces a lot of spices to export to us, and some teenagers using them... Unfortunately we could not affect on this, like it was with Afganistan...

And FF is correct. Healthcare here is county by county. The plan I am on now only is good for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara county. Up north, I have to get on a new plan...whatever that will be. And it takes a couple of months for the transition. Which means I will be straight medi-cal...Which is only good for ER...Not a regular doc. So if I get an ear infection, cold, sinus problem, rash, etc...No doc. I have to go to ER. Until I am put on another plan, anyway. This also means med refills...So for my high blood pressure pills, thyroid pills, etc...I have to sit in ER.

Dumb, yes?

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had health insurance since I got too old to be on my father's plan 20-something years ago. I haven't been to a doctor in that time, either. :p
I wish I didn't have to see a doc, believe me.

Dumb, yes?

I wish I didn't have to see a doc, believe me.

Hi Gracie...

Speaking of USMB Coffee Shoppe, I think I shall brew up a small pot of coffee now to warm up with. We have several feet of snow now here in the Rocky Mountains.

Featured today are the Cheeseheads vs Dallas then later the Steel Curtain vs KC.

We have a lot of snow, and I'm drinking hot tea before sleeping, because, it seems, I have a flu :)
Sorry you have a flu. I have a funny Russian tea story. One of my supervisors at one time was a Soviet ex-patriot, Stan. He drank his tea from a nice glass, unlike Americans, who use cups. One day, the women who worked for Stan took a feminine hygiene product, applied a liberal amount of strawberry preserves to it and replaced Stan's teabag with it. When Stan found this in his tea, he took it out and tossed it out the office window. His comment was something about "G-damned vimminn!"
The post script to this story was: the next morning the Marine personnel were responsible for picking up trash around the buildings. When one of them picked up the offending object, he screamed like a little girl and threw it away like it was a poisonous snake. The women working in the office laughed their butts off! Evil wenches...

Such an evil history! :) Did he use his glass free as in Soviet cafe, or with coaster, like it used till current time in trains? :)

upload_2017-1-17_9-37-1.png

Sorry you have a flu. I have a funny Russian tea story. One of my supervisors at one time was a Soviet ex-patriot, Stan. He drank his tea from a nice glass, unlike Americans, who use cups. One day, the women who worked for Stan took a feminine hygiene product, applied a liberal amount of strawberry preserves to it and replaced Stan's teabag with it. When Stan found this in his tea, he took it out and tossed it out the office window. His comment was something about "G-damned vimminn!"
The post script to this story was: the next morning the Marine personnel were responsible for picking up trash around the buildings. When one of them picked up the offending object, he screamed like a little girl and threw it away like it was a poisonous snake. The women working in the office laughed their butts off! Evil wenches...

Such an evil history! :) Did he use his glass free as in Soviet cafe, or with coaster, like it used till current time in trains? :)

View attachment 107061
Only when filled with the blood of virgins....

View attachment 107061
Free, no coaster. He was actually Russian ethnic, left Poland to join relatives in Chicago...an entirely amusing story. He joined the US Army and was very helpful as a translator. He was a big, burly, blond fellow who entirely embodied the American stereotype of a Soviet officer.

I tried and tried to get interested in "Game of Thrones" based on other's rave reviews of it, but it was just too dark and violent for me. Maybe sometimes when I am in a better mood for that. . . .

' Game of thrones' is certainly violent. In series 6 episode 9 there is a huge battle between two armies and they end up having to climb over a huge pile of bodies to get at one another. They also film graphic details, like someone getting a sword through their throats. I assume that is all done with CGI computer graphics.

You might enjoy 'the Mummy' and its sequel, as it is humorous and has a hero and heroine and a monster.

2 - local news
4 - Nature & animals
5 - Crime documentaries

Game of Thrones is not a reality show and it is not crap but rather an extremely successful and acclaimed drama series. I don't watch it because I do not enjoy violence, but I respect those who do enjoy it.

Your list is a pretty good one. On the other hand I do enjoy come of the reality shows like "Ice Road Truckers", "Deadliest Catch", "Survivor" etc. which may or may not classify as crap and also many of the competition shows--"The Voice" and "America's Got Talent" and "Hell's Kitchen" and "American Ninja Warrior" etc. which also may or may not qualify as crap.
I am fond of what I refer to as "costume dramas", like "Downtown Abbey", "The Tudors", "Poldark", as well as fantasy shows like "Game of Thrones". So-called "reality" shows, like "Ice Road Truckers" and others of similar genre are just boring crap. I mean, how dangerous, or real, can things get when there are film crews and production units everywhere?

I know. But what they do is real so it is interesting to me though it wasn't so interesting until I got to know the drivers better. Same with Deadliest Catch--it would take a brave television crew to go out on those boats and it does get tedious at times, but it is still fascinating to me. So I have a hard time seeing it as crap though you aren't alone in that sentiment. :)

I doubt either show will survive now because the main star of Ice Road Truckers was Darrell Ward who was killed in an airplane crash last summer and the main star of Deadliest Catch was Sig Hanson who had a serious heart attack last season and I doubt will be back.

To all our insomniacs, I ran across this article featuring five plants that you should have in your bedroom that help to induce restful sleep. Note especially to Ringel05 pay attention to No. 4 - English Ivy. I never thought about growing it in a bedroom but it is praised as being especially good at removing airborne allergens from the air.

5 Plants For Your Bedroom To Help You Sleep Better

1403497370_27941ac585_b.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's mom and her sister,
Saveliberty for wellness,
Ringel's Gizmo and Boo and wellness for Ringel,
Ernie for wellness,
Sbiker for wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days.
And let's send up some special prayers and positive thoughts for Gracie & Mr. G who need a break big time right now.

All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all others who need to find their way back.

Last edited:

2 - local news
4 - Nature & animals
5 - Crime documentaries

Game of Thrones is not a reality show and it is not crap but rather an extremely successful and acclaimed drama series. I don't watch it because I do not enjoy violence, but I respect those who do enjoy it.

Your list is a pretty good one. On the other hand I do enjoy come of the reality shows like "Ice Road Truckers", "Deadliest Catch", "Survivor" etc. which may or may not classify as crap and also many of the competition shows--"The Voice" and "America's Got Talent" and "Hell's Kitchen" and "American Ninja Warrior" etc. which also may or may not qualify as crap.
I am fond of what I refer to as "costume dramas", like "Downtown Abbey", "The Tudors", "Poldark", as well as fantasy shows like "Game of Thrones". So-called "reality" shows, like "Ice Road Truckers" and others of similar genre are just boring crap. I mean, how dangerous, or real, can things get when there are film crews and production units everywhere?

I know. But what they do is real so it is interesting to me though it wasn't so interesting until I got to know the drivers better. Same with Deadliest Catch--it would take a brave television crew to go out on those boats and it does get tedious at times, but it is still fascinating to me. So I have a hard time seeing it as crap though you aren't alone in that sentiment. :)

I doubt either show will survive now because the main star of Ice Road Truckers was Darrell Ward who was killed in an airplane crash last summer and the main star of Deadliest Catch was Sig Hanson who had a serious heart attack last season and I doubt will be back.
You have a whole different perspective when you live where their "reality" takes place, I suppose. I drive frozen, dangerous roads daily. When in the Army, I used ice roads when necessary. I've never fished, but there are other "reality" shows, like the "Bush People" that are unmitigated Bull.

Forum List

Back