USMB Coffee Shop IV

' Game of thrones' is certainly violent. In series 6 episode 9 there is a huge battle between two armies and they end up having to climb over a huge pile of bodies to get at one another. They also film graphic details, like someone getting a sword through their throats. I assume that is all done with CGI computer graphics.

You might enjoy 'the Mummy' and its sequel, as it is humorous and has a hero and heroine and a monster.
When I watch TV I look for the following:

1 - national and international news (PBS etc.)
2 - local news
3 - documentaries (Frontline, AmerExperience, etc)
4 - Nature & animals
5 - Crime documentaries
6 - Crime dramas (Criminal Minds, etc)
7 - national sports (playoffs mostly)
8 - local sports (Raiders soon moving to Las Vegas)

And NOT the crap called reality shows like Game Of Thrones.

Game of Thrones is not a reality show and it is not crap but rather an extremely successful and acclaimed drama series. I don't watch it because I do not enjoy violence, but I respect those who do enjoy it.

Your list is a pretty good one. On the other hand I do enjoy come of the reality shows like "Ice Road Truckers", "Deadliest Catch", "Survivor" etc. which may or may not classify as crap and also many of the competition shows--"The Voice" and "America's Got Talent" and "Hell's Kitchen" and "American Ninja Warrior" etc. which also may or may not qualify as crap.
I am fond of what I refer to as "costume dramas", like "Downtown Abbey", "The Tudors", "Poldark", as well as fantasy shows like "Game of Thrones". So-called "reality" shows, like "Ice Road Truckers" and others of similar genre are just boring crap. I mean, how dangerous, or real, can things get when there are film crews and production units everywhere?

I know. But what they do is real so it is interesting to me though it wasn't so interesting until I got to know the drivers better. Same with Deadliest Catch--it would take a brave television crew to go out on those boats and it does get tedious at times, but it is still fascinating to me. So I have a hard time seeing it as crap though you aren't alone in that sentiment. :)

I doubt either show will survive now because the main star of Ice Road Truckers was Darrell Ward who was killed in an airplane crash last summer and the main star of Deadliest Catch was Sig Hanson who had a serious heart attack last season and I doubt will be back.
You have a whole different perspective when you live where their "reality" takes place, I suppose. I drive frozen, dangerous roads daily. When in the Army, I used ice roads when necessary. I've never fished, but there are other "reality" shows, like the "Bush People" that are unmitigated Bull.

Oh I know. Some of the Bear Grylls reality shows are almost absurd making it look so difficult for the folks doing presumably dangerous stuff, but there is a TV camera right there on them. :)

But Ice Road Truckers driving hundreds of miles through isolated country and Deadliest Catch are real people doing real jobs and I can't explain why it is interesting to me, but it is.

We've done our share of dangerous roads too, both up on the mountain during winters where there was a lot of snow on the ground, at least until the last prolonged drought, and working around the state, we drove on snow, ice, inches of hail, etc. many times. But not as an everyday thing as you do.

Good morning! Haven't dropped by in a while. Hello! :)

51a3f2be819e0299a9879619aecf957d.jpg

And we miss you when you don't too. Good morning. :)

Thanks, and how are things going with you lately? Well I hope. :)

Can't complain. Well I can actually. Hombre and I used a generous gift certificate from our friend who was thanking us for boarding her beloved mini doxie for so long and we decided to use it to replace our two office chairs that are literally falling apart.

So we ordered the chairs--we read the reviews and they got 5 stars EXCEPT that everybody said how difficult they were to put together. But we blew that off--we had put a lot of stuff like that together and how hard could it be?

So now I have a partially assembled one-day-to-be-beautiful chair taking up a lot of our entryway--the other one is still in the box--and one extremely frustrated husband and they will stay that way until Thursday when our much younger neighbor across the street can get here with all his fancy metric tools and help finish the job.

But I guess if that is our worst problem right now, we're doing okay.

Can't complain. Well I can actually. Hombre and I used a generous gift certificate from our friend who was thanking us for boarding her beloved mini doxie for so long and we decided to use it to replace our two office chairs that are literally falling apart.

So we ordered the chairs--we read the reviews and they got 5 stars EXCEPT that everybody said how difficult they were to put together. But we blew that off--we had put a lot of stuff like that together and how hard could it be?

So now I have a partially assembled one-day-to-be-beautiful chair taking up a lot of our entryway--the other one is still in the box--and one extremely frustrated husband and they will stay that way until Thursday when our much younger neighbor across the street can get here with all his fancy metric tools and help finish the job.

That is frustrating though. I hate putting things like that together. I'd rather buy it already assembled and have it delivered. It's worth the extra cost, if you ask me.

That is frustrating though. I hate putting things like that together. I'd rather buy it already assembled and have it delivered. It's worth the extra cost, if you ask me.

Believe me, if we had had any idea, that is exactly what we would have done. But we have put together office chairs in the past with no problem, but this time, it was just too much.

Believe me, if we had had any idea, that is exactly what we would have done. But we have put together office chairs in the past with no problem, but this time, it was just too much.

I always seem to have problems with those kinds of things, whether it be something doesn't line up properly, maybe there is a part missing, or whatever. Seems those kinds of things never go very smoothly for me. :dunno:

It is a challenge to read Chinese instructions, but not impossible..

I always seem to have problems with those kinds of things, whether it be something doesn't line up properly, maybe there is a part missing, or whatever. Seems those kinds of things never go very smoothly for me. :dunno:

Same with me.! :)

I have to assemble an over the toilet cabnet today so that hubby has easy access to things he needs.
Wish me luck :biggrin:
Like you Chris they never go right or parts are missing.

Same with me.! :)

I have to assemble an over the toilet cabnet today so that hubby has easy access to things he needs.
Wish me luck :biggrin:
Like you Chris they never go right or parts are missing.

Good luck and try not to break anything important! :D

Just got back from Tucson not too long ago.
Hubbie and I had a wonderful day today for our anniversary, despite the setting. :)
33 years and we both agree we want more years, 33 isn't long enough.
We are true soul mates. :)

His heart is not strong enough to have the surgery, so they are sending him home in a couple of days.
He has to wear a vest in order to keep his heart beat regular.
They haven't told us yet if he needs to go to therapy yet.
He likes that he will be able to drive after he gets home though. :)
Still in our prayers.
Not sure how much you know about the Tucson area but from what I've been reading the primary area to avoid is the southwest areas due to the higher crime rates there. Also recently read a lot of people are opting for Vail AZ, out side of town, quiet and safe but growing. The other area I like is the Picture Rocks area to the northwest (on the north side of Saguaro National Park).

I lived and worked in Tucson from 1974 to the end of Dec. of 1982.

Actually I'm a Ford truck man, best truck suspension on the market, they drive like a sedan not a truck. The Dodge was my dad's, I got it in the inheritance not that I'm complaining, 2003 double cab short bed 4x4 with all the bells and whistles and it only had 30K miles on it, about 42K now.

GMC Sierra Denali offers a suspension that is checked 1,000 times a second to reduce pitch and roll far more than Dodge or Ford is capable of doing.

And FF is correct. Healthcare here is county by county. The plan I am on now only is good for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara county. Up north, I have to get on a new plan...whatever that will be. And it takes a couple of months for the transition. Which means I will be straight medi-cal...Which is only good for ER...Not a regular doc. So if I get an ear infection, cold, sinus problem, rash, etc...No doc. I have to go to ER. Until I am put on another plan, anyway. This also means med refills...So for my high blood pressure pills, thyroid pills, etc...I have to sit in ER.

Dumb, yes?

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had health insurance since I got too old to be on my father's plan 20-something years ago. I haven't been to a doctor in that time, either. :p
I wish I didn't have to see a doc, believe me.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

I wish I felt like I could afford to. My psoriasis and belly problems aren't life threatening, but I wouldn't mind an actual doctor's opinion on them. :p I've got a couple of other (hopefully) minor things I should have looked at, as well, but I'm very used to not being able to afford medical care.

I'm hoping after I finish getting my associate's I can find a job that both has employer assisted insurance and pays enough that I can afford to use that insurance.

I wasn't trying to say, "Ha! I don't need any stinking doctors!" I actually would like to see a doctor and can't afford to. I was hoping to make you feel at least a little better about at least having health coverage and I obviously screwed it up. :)

It is a challenge to read Chinese instructions, but not impossible..

Impossible for me. I get tickled sometimes when we get instructions with stuff that are written in English, French, Spanish, Chinese etc. Just goes to show how international the world has become.

Forum List

Back