USMB Coffee Shop IV

My granddaughters are distraught. Dad has a long weekend and they were planning on going to Carolina Beach. When my daughter mentioned the place, a flood of high school memories came hurtling back. I used to range from Morehead to Myrtle Beach when I was in high school. We particularly liked a place called "The Cave" on Carolina Beach.
Too bad, the trip will have to be postponed.

[MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION] it was supposed to make landfall at Carolina Beach but it took it's northeast turn and now it's supposed to hit Atlantic Beach/Topsail Island/Surf City. Raleigh TV showed Carolina Beach about an hour ago and the winds are picking up.

Dang, those names are like a walk through memory lane for me. We used to cut school to surf at Topsail.

Bringing back old memories... I was raised in Suffolk, VA and because my folks loved to fish so much we were often on the Carolina coast fishing. We roamed everywhere you could roam in search of a fish. Back in the middle to late 60's it wasn't as built up as it is now. Fished from Duck all the way to Cape Hatteras. Know them all well. We did seem to fish the most off of the legendary old Avalon Fishing Pier. Used to know everybody that worked there by first names but sadly they have all died off. I'd like to have a dime for every fish I have caught off of the Avalon Pier.

I usually don't get drilled at the Dentist's office, just water boarded.

I figure I'll go once every 10 years or only if something really hurts. that way I get it all done at once.

Doesn't your dentist yell at you? Or do you go to your nearest Aspen Dental. :)

I went last winter. I hadn't been in 10 years. I had a couple of cracked fillings, actually it was a broken tooth that made me go. other than that he said things looked pretty good.

My dentist has a tv on the wall right in your view when you're laying down. He'll put anything you want on when you're in the chair.

Dentists these days are gentle on purpose. They know what you go through thinking about this stuff. She's just got herself all worked up into a tizzy.
I usually just try to zone out when I'm getting drilled.

That's what she said...I am so sorry, but I couldn't resist.:D

yea, I'm taking a bit of heat for that phrasing lol

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and cousin,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Ollie's daughter Angie and his youngest brother,
Stat's aunt,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

people don't realize how much effort it takes to moderate or admin a site. especially a site with the traffic of this one and the strict adherence to rules. I admin a site today
but it is much lower volume and we have restricted registration. and I'm sure there are a number of people here who abuse the report system, adding to that load. hopefully someone else who cares will be willing to step up to the plate.
Yes it sure is a job here, and time consuming. But there was a time when mods didn't have to adhere to any sort of behavior policy. They could just be themselves and return insults as they saw fit. Then c_k put an end to that and made a rule that mods can't personally insult members. That's when I said, "so you want to take an already tedious and thankless, volunteer job, and then take away our freedom of speech? Well then, you can UNmod me."

I fully understand AA's decision.

Really.... have you not met Westwall?
That's supposed to be the rule... that's why I bowed out...
sorry-3.gif

OK... so I bought this telescope and tripod at the auction last Saturday. The tripod is a very nice, top of the line Manfrotto, and the telescope is a Meade. I've owned Manfrotto tripods before so I know this is the Rolls Royce of tripods, but the Meade telescope, well, it's a reflector, but it's a multi reflector. Not a straight tube with a lens at the rear. The image comes in the front, reflects off the lens at the rear, then back to the front, and then back to the eye piece. I guess the logic is it shortens the length of the telescope, but the problem with that is, from what I've observed looking through it now, is that it looses light. It's dark. It's hard to find and see stars. I am NOT impressed. My brother, DECADES ago, had a SEARS telescope, a reflector, which was nothing more than a huge tube with a lens at the rear and the eye piece looked at the rear mirror. It was super bright. Man was that a nice telescope, and I thought this one being a reflector, not a refractor, would be just as bright, well, such is not the case. This would probably work wonderful if you wanted to look at things in the DAY. Oh well, I paid less for the combo than the tripod is worth. I think I'll give the whole works to my little sister and let her play with it. But if I ever buy another telescope to look at the stars, it will be a true reflector that's not a mulit reflector. It'll be just the one shot straight tube back to the eye piece, not a stepped down, reflected several times deal like this one. It looses light...

20140704_005657_zpsf7f7c237.jpg

20140704_005716_zps8dc6a68f.jpg

20140704_005747_zps9e8be73e.jpg

Is it weird to have a cup of hot cocoa in the middle of summer?? I mean, you guys drink hot coffee all the time, right??:D

0007092047436_500X500.jpg

My dentist has a tv on the wall right in your view when you're laying down. He'll put anything you want on when you're in the chair.

Dentists these days are gentle on purpose. They know what you go through thinking about this stuff. She's just got herself all worked up into a tizzy.
I usually just try to zone out when I'm getting drilled.

That's what she said...I am so sorry, but I couldn't resist.:D
{on my kness} .... Sherry... would you please marry me....
hahaha-024.gif

And for those folks that like sheer talent, a couple of guys on flat tops, these guys are simply unreal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from a Physio-therapy session with the guy who's been working my back now for about 5 years. We did Fango today - a heat pack for 30 minutes, back cracking (lol) and then a deep, almost painful massage in the L5 region. But now I feel like new again. Spring back in my step.

TGIF. TGID*

*Thank G-d it's Independence Day.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back