USMB Coffee Shop IV

Now if cereal_killer would just give us a "sympathy" or "I care" button that says what we intend to convey so much better than the "like" button, that would be great.
Sometimes I think we need a WTF? button
:wtf:

What are you some type of elf?
65eb0dc52f5008f0a08225a18853fb76.jpg

Tomorrow is St. Valentine's Day and, if there's anything to tradition (and I dearly hope there is), grade schoolers everywhere are wrapping shoe boxes in red, pink and white paper, cutting a slot in the lids and anticipating St. Valentine's Day messages from their classmates.

Little paper cards with hearts and puppies and kittens and flowers meant to suggest some innocent romance or affection. I always wanted a Valentine from Mary Lynn Schoolcraft, the cutest girl in the second grade. I don't know if she wanted one from me, but I always reserved the sweetest one for her.

Later, the candy, the wee sugary hearts with sentiments like "Oh! You kid!" and "Be Mine" were passed around for everyone to enjoy. Milk chocolate in the shape of hearts, jelly beans and Good & Plenty (a confection I never appreciated. Licorice, ya know). All that candy could take a boy's thoughts away from even Mary Lynn Schoolcraft, but just for a moment.

Happy St. Valentine's Day everybody!

Last edited:
I heard a great idea yesterday. Exchange cards in the grocery card aisle, put them back and then go to frozen foods and grab a dinner.

We got rain and not really cold.
We sure need the rain.
Never have been a fan of snow, even when I grew up in Colo. :)

I actually loved snow up on the mountain--there was something about sitting in front of the fireplace with a cup of coffee or tea watching it pile up on the deck outside the sliding glass doors. But we were much younger and stronger then, more sure footed, more able to dig ourselves out. Before we got our 4-wheel drive, and then AWD I sometimes could not get my little Mercury Capri up the hill to get home when the road was snow packed and then icy from traffic. I would get as far as I could, put it in the ditch on the side of the road and walk the rest of the way if somebody didn't pick me up. (Somebody usually did.) No way I could do that now.

I have never liked it and did not like playing in it when I was a kid.
Give me the desert, I love! :)
I like that we have winter. I never could stand the South, with all the snakes, spiders, alligators, etc... I'll take a little extra snow anytime. :)

We sure need the rain.

I actually loved snow up on the mountain--there was something about sitting in front of the fireplace with a cup of coffee or tea watching it pile up on the deck outside the sliding glass doors. But we were much younger and stronger then, more sure footed, more able to dig ourselves out. Before we got our 4-wheel drive, and then AWD I sometimes could not get my little Mercury Capri up the hill to get home when the road was snow packed and then icy from traffic. I would get as far as I could, put it in the ditch on the side of the road and walk the rest of the way if somebody didn't pick me up. (Somebody usually did.) No way I could do that now.

I like that we have winter. I never could stand the South, with all the snakes, spiders, alligators, etc... I'll take a little extra snow anytime. :)

You don't have snakes and spiders in Ohio? And alligators aren't a real big problem in the desert. :)

Tomorrow is St. Valentine's Day and, if there's anything to tradition (and I dearly hope there is), grade schoolers everywhere are wrapping shoe boxes in red, pink and white paper, cutting a slot in the lids and anticipating St. Valentine's Day messages from their classmates.

Little paper cards with hearts and puppies and kittens and flowers meant to suggest some innocent romance or affection. I always wanted a Valentine from Mary Lynn Schoolcraft, the cutest girl in the second grade. I don't know if she wanted one from me, but I always reserved the sweetest one for her.

Later, the candy, the wee sugary hearts with sentiments like "Oh! You kid!" and "Be Mine" were passed around for everyone to enjoy. Milk chocolate in the shape of hearts, jelly beans and Good & Plenty (a confection I never appreciated. Licorice, ya know). All that candy could take a boy's thoughts away from even Mary Lynn Schoolcraft, but just for a moment.

I was a fairly shy and, in my eyes, not one of the popular kids in grade school. (My classmates from that era that I am still in touch with don't seem to remember me that way for which I am grateful.) But I always dreaded the school Easter egg hunt because I never seemed to find eggs like my classmates did. And I dreaded Valentine's Day for fear nobody would put valentines in my decorated shoe box and I would be terribly embarrassed. Some always did, but the fear never went away.

By high school I was out of my shell and felt like I could stand my ground socially, but back then. . .not so much.

Tomorrow is Hombre and my wedding anniversary--let's just say we've been married more years than many of our Coffee Shoppers have lived at all. And we rarely ever celebrate on the 14th because the restaurants are packed and it's just generally not as much fun as going out on a less frenetic night.

We sure need the rain.

You don't have snakes and spiders in Ohio? And alligators aren't a real big problem in the desert. :)

No. I haven't seen a bug in my house in a long time. My previous place had some but it was a lazy landlord problem. I lived down south for awhile and I couldn't take it. I was cleaning the sink after we moved in and a huge, ugly, centipede crawled out of the drain.

Nothing against the people, I prefer it right where I am.

No. I haven't seen a bug in my house in a long time. My previous place had some but it was a lazy landlord problem. I lived down south for awhile and I couldn't take it. I was cleaning the sink after we moved in and a huge, ugly, centipede crawled out of the drain.

These guys do laps in the bathroom in the winter.

86733241.VPppnSjL.BoxElderBugAD.jpg

Box Elder Bug

Box Elder Bug
Have you ever dealt with stink bugs? You've got to deal with them just right or they never leave you. Puke

They have them in NC that I know of but they've been spotted around here in the Fall trying to find a warm place to stay for the Winter.

Box Elder Bug
Have you ever dealt with stink bugs? You've got to deal with them just right or they never leave you. Puke

They have them in NC that I know of but they've been spotted around here in the Fall trying to find a warm place to stay for the Winter.

No I have not dealt with stinkbugs. Box Elder bugs seem pretty harmless. The Department of Agriculture brought in a Japanese lady bug years ago and they bite. I had an allergic reaction to it. They also smell when you vacuum them up.

Box Elder Bug

No I have not dealt with stinkbugs. Box Elder bugs seem pretty harmless. The Department of Agriculture brought in a Japanese lady bug years ago and they bite. I had an allergic reaction to it. They also smell when you vacuum them up.
Yeah, those kind of bugs are pretty harmless. I mean they're not trantulas or other big nasty things. :)

I was a fairly shy and, in my eyes, not one of the popular kids in grade school. (My classmates from that era that I am still in touch with don't seem to remember me that way for which I am grateful.) But I always dreaded the school Easter egg hunt because I never seemed to find eggs like my classmates did. And I dreaded Valentine's Day for fear nobody would put valentines in my decorated shoe box and I would be terribly embarrassed. Some always did, but the fear never went away.

By high school I was out of my shell and felt like I could stand my ground socially, but back then. . .not so much.

Tomorrow is Hombre and my wedding anniversary--let's just say we've been married more years than many of our Coffee Shoppers have lived at all. And we rarely ever celebrate on the 14th because the restaurants are packed and it's just generally not as much fun as going out on a less frenetic night.
married on St. Valentine's Day! That's an easy way to kill two birds, as they say. And who could forget an anniversary when that day is hyped up all over the place.

Happy anniversary, Foxy! And may your remaining anniversaries be outnumbered only by the joys that lay ahead.

We sure need the rain.

Don't move to the orient........ Always had to look in the toilet before taking a seat.........

married on St. Valentine's Day! That's an easy way to kill two birds, as they say. And who could forget an anniversary when that day is hyped up all over the place.

Happy anniversary, Foxy! And may your remaining anniversaries be outnumbered only by the joys that lay ahead.

Actually that's why we chose that date--easy to remember and already romantic. Hombre and I were just now agreeing that we would not buy each other a card or candy or whatever, but instead would take a leisurely stroll through one or two of our favorite stores and buy something or some things together that we both really want.

Box Elder Bug

We have stink bugs, or harlequin bugs here too. They fly around making quite a racket. It drives Daisy the Mutt absolutely nuts! They were brought in by the Dr. Frankensteins at the Department of Agriculture to eliminate a spotless ladybug a few years ago. The spotless ladybugs were brought in to do away with a plague of aphids.

So, one bug replaces another. One bug's virtues outlives its presence.

The stinkbugs actually stink if squashed. My solution is to trap them in a moist paper towel and shake them into the disposal for a wet and wild trip back to the river. Let the folks in Wheeling deal with the carcasses.

Actually that's why we chose that date--easy to remember and already romantic. Hombre and I were just now agreeing that we would not buy each other a card or candy or whatever, but instead would take a leisurely stroll through one or two of our favorite stores and buy something or some things together that we both really want.
Must suck if you really wanted chocolates or a card.

Forum List

Back