USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's a little dark in here, but . . . they are silver with silver sparkles on the ends.

View attachment 111972

Really pretty Chris. But I can see how it would be a learning curve to type with them. :)

Yeah, I can't really type on this keyboard good using the nail tips because you have to apply a little pressure, so I keep missing letters. If I try typing regular with my fingertips, then I hit the keys above the keys I want. This is turning into a PITA, but I had a gift certificate, so I thought I would spend it on long nails. :rolleyes-41: Not a good idea.

Morning greetings, everybody!
Well, it was really, REALLY cold last night. Every digit on the thermometer included a minus sign. I spared my partner on one flight and sent the oiling to Chicago. Those lazy sops brag about how they never pour oil into an airplane. We get stuck with it because the flights are going over the pond an have to be topped off. In addition, lots of machinery fails, switches, valves, pumps, and lots of little things, when it gets this cold. It's supposed to warm up again today and the next couple of days. I sure hope so, I'm getting tired of having to break my dog loose from the icicle every time she pees.
I'm so glad that Gracie and Mr. G seem to have found a place to keep them busy doing things they like to do, instead of battling ant invasions and bleaching mold.
Everyone, stay warm, keep your eyeballs from freezing.

I just checked your weather, GW, and -1f at mid morning. That indeed is cold though even in north central Kansas we could have days that it never got above zero. Fairly rare there though. Probably not so much in your part of the world. But according to Accuweather you should be above freezing at times next week. So just stay warm for now.
Yup! They prognosticating temps in the 30s with rain and freezing rain. Makes for an adventurous drive to work, or anywhere, for that matter!

Morning greetings, everybody!
Well, it was really, REALLY cold last night. Every digit on the thermometer included a minus sign. I spared my partner on one flight and sent the oiling to Chicago. Those lazy sops brag about how they never pour oil into an airplane. We get stuck with it because the flights are going over the pond an have to be topped off. In addition, lots of machinery fails, switches, valves, pumps, and lots of little things, when it gets this cold. It's supposed to warm up again today and the next couple of days. I sure hope so, I'm getting tired of having to break my dog loose from the icicle every time she pees.
I'm so glad that Gracie and Mr. G seem to have found a place to keep them busy doing things they like to do, instead of battling ant invasions and bleaching mold.
Everyone, stay warm, keep your eyeballs from freezing.

I just checked your weather, GW, and -1f at mid morning. That indeed is cold though even in north central Kansas we could have days that it never got above zero. Fairly rare there though. Probably not so much in your part of the world. But according to Accuweather you should be above freezing at times next week. So just stay warm for now.
Yup! They prognosticating temps in the 30s with rain and freezing rain. Makes for an adventurous drive to work, or anywhere, for that matter!

We could experience some of that by tomorrow too with lots of precip and temps hovering at or just below freezing.

Well, we have a ton of snow. It stopped temporarily and supposed to pick back up. It is a weird kind of pinkish color because the sun is beginning to set and it's reflecting off the snow. We are also supposed to get some more snow this week (maybe Wednesday - not sure).

As a side note, I went and got my nails done this morning before the snow got too bad, and I'm having a really difficult time typing with them. Lol. That's not good news considering my job is typing. If I can't get used to them, I'm going to have to cut them down or something. :(
There's a name for that pinkish glow of setting (sometimes rising) sun on snow, it's "alpenglow". It's beautiful here when we get the alpenglow.
apg2.jpg

I think we got like 15-18 inches so far in the last couple of days. That's just a guess by looking at it on my part. :)
We've actually gotten only a moderate amount of snow. The cold prevents snow but fosters this crappy ice fog that adheres to everything. At least I can brush snow off of things. Ice fog is like a coat of frozen paint. Yes, Virginia, it does indeed get too cold to snow. Lucky you, if you don't have to go out and push all that snow off that stuff, though.

I think we got like 15-18 inches so far in the last couple of days. That's just a guess by looking at it on my part. :)
We've actually gotten only a moderate amount of snow. The cold prevents snow but fosters this crappy ice fog that adheres to everything. At least I can brush snow off of things. Ice fog is like a coat of frozen paint. Yes, Virginia, it does indeed get too cold to snow. Lucky you, if you don't have to go out and push all that snow off that stuff, though.

Nah, I'm not using my outdoor furniture anyways. I only have to do a little bit of shoveling, my walkways and around my car. The landlord takes care of the parking lot with a plow.

Well, it's dark out now, but I turned my outside light on and tried to take a couple of pictures. My outside trash barrel and table.

View attachment 112000

View attachment 112001

People were always amazed out on the mountain where we measured the snow in feet instead of inches. Snow like that here in the city is really rare but it can happen.

I saw one of these at an antique store last week. I was thinking of going back to buy it because it's a pretty good conversation piece. "I killed him with my bare hands and made a purse out of him right there!" :2up:

1940s-baby-alligator-purse-full-body-hide-head-vintage-brazilian-leather-1stopretroshop-w81176-1.jpg

Just checking in to make sure everyone is okay, been particularly busy around the house slowly getting things ready for the eventual move and spending lots of time checking out home listings trying to find that needle in a haystack........ Went for a drive yesterday, up through Alamogordo then Corrizozo to Capitan, Ruidoso then back home. We both love the Capitan/Alto area and even Tularosa...... Too bad employment options are limited, might have to look at "online" jobs or self employment options if we want to live there.

Just checking in to make sure everyone is okay, been particularly busy around the house slowly getting things ready for the eventual move and spending lots of time checking out home listings trying to find that needle in a haystack........ Went for a drive yesterday, up through Alamogordo then Corrizozo to Capitan, Ruidoso then back home. We both love the Capitan/Alto area and even Tularosa...... Too bad employment options are limited, might have to look at "online" jobs or self employment options if we want to live there.
Best of luck finding the perfect place!

As much as we like it here....we will probably have to go back IF senior low income housing calls and says a unit is ready...whenever that happens. If something happens to our housemate....out we go....again. Hopefully that will not happen for a long time, but he did have a heart attack some months back and almost died. We have to look at the bigger picture, and unfortunately..as much as I would like to live here for a very long time....we can't take the chance and have to move AGAIN. Once we are in senior housing...we never have to leave again.

Meanwhile..I am sure glad he does not live in Oroville!!! That is about 10 miles or so south of us.....and we are up higher. Lucky us!

Meanwhile..I am sure glad he does not live in Oroville!!! That is about 10 miles or so south of us.....and we are up higher. Lucky us!

I saw where Oroville and several other towns below the dam are evacuating to Chico etc. You're upstream from the lake, yes? The last I saw tonight they were beginning to repair the emergency overflow and were draining the lake as fast as they could, so the dam may hold, but they haven't declared it safe yet. Sheesh--why does it have to be drought or flood? Isn't there something in between there?

Last edited:
The snow has begun at our house but we aren't expecting a lot.
Thinking of those in the path of the failing dam in California tonight.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie.
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, 007, Sixfoot and all others we hope will find their way back.

winter-calm-winter-night-winters-mysterious-blue-birds-mystical-trees-lamp-lights-snow-ravens-haunting-full-moon-gates-wallpaper-gallery.jpg

The buttons are like a new model car. Changed out on occasion to make it seem more new or valuable. A button telling posters to shut up is certainly more objectionable than a disagree. Of course the funny button had two meanings now. As far as disagree goes, I can be disagreeable without a button. ;)

Yes. There are a few numbnuts who follow me around outside the Coffee Shop, especially in the structured debate zone where they are required to be civil, and like to put a FUNNY on everything I post there. And yes, I take that as a thumbs down, but as C_K said, they boost my trophy points every time they do it. And it is not offensive to me and doesn't feel negative. So it's all good. However, that kind of childishness is what prompted C_K to add the "funny and agree" button that many of us find useful.

And "funny" in the Coffee Shop rewards those who are genuinely encouraging us to laugh on purpose. :)

Any time you want to exchange numbnut followers, just say the word. ;) I can even do a 4:1 exchange rate.

Forum List

Back